Why haven't you switched to Linux yet?

Why haven't you switched to Linux yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

maketecheasier.com/pinguy-builder/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It takes too much more effort to do what I need to do, compared to Windows

It looks nice but performs like crap.

I don't know why it uses so much CPU to do nothing whilst my Windows machine uses barely anything. Also screen tearing that forced me to copy paste terminal commands for triple buffering. Chrome and Firefox both just feel so much fucking worse than on Windows.

I just prefer to have all my hardware I paid good money for work as efficiently as possible so I can get the most out of it.

Muh games, muh drivers

but I have user

Come on pajeet, at least make your shilling believable.

Dependency is a nightmare.
Shit breaks a lot when i wanna change some stuff.
Some programs are still pretty buggy, at times.
CLI's make me wanna stab myself, at times.

Ironically, i completed a linux server course, i might be in charge of a linux project soon.
I acknowledge it's qualities, but it's not the panaceea freetards make it out to be.

the alternatives are better
more software on other platforms
i dont think im cool for installing free software then make threads that suck my own balls about my decision

there is a new OS they brought out called "going outside" its free but if you pay for the pro version it comes with a soccer ball
you should try it you fat insecure mongoloid

>Dependency is a nightmare.
Had no problems with that. ON arch at least.

>Shit breaks a lot when i wanna change some stuff.
Can you elaborate?

>Some programs are still pretty buggy, at times.
Just like windows programs.

>CLI's make me wanna stab myself, at times.
What problems do you have with CLI? It's fuckin great.

>if he uses Linux it automatically means he is a fat need without friends

lmao @ utter ignorance

Can't you accept the fact that Linux as a PC os is good just for a small percentage of users?

he must have fuck all to do if he is praising himself for hitting download on a website and asking others why they didnt

I can. But all 3 of 4 things you just said are bullshit and it is nothing to do with amount of users.

Let's give an example.
Install multiple DE's, makes stuff unstable(let's add that i somehow managed to provoke an unresponsive kernel panic from playing 3-4 with of them).
>OK, this pretty big app/desktop is annoying.Let's uninstall it.
Oh, right, i just accidentally squashed a couple of libraries i needed elsewhere.
>It's fuckin great.
You just got used to it.
It's pretty annoying at times, where you have to dig-up in it's entrails to be able to login, or some other basic stuff like that.
And don't get me started on when your console returns some weird bug.
I still hate having to work with python from those idiotic traceback bugs.

wasn't me.
I'm here

This so much.
Use debian8 for this:
Go install x and openbox and then after using it for 5 minutes go install gnome and right after that KDE.
Now for the final blow, deinstall kde and suddenly your complete ethernet will be gone. Completely fucking gone and you can not reinstall it with apt. Just try it. If your connection doesn't suck this should not take longer than maybe 15 minutes. Use a VM, it is fucking easy to reproduce. I did it like 4 times now and can not figure out how to remove KDE without destroying the whole machine.

Sounds like your removed network manager lol.
Openbox doesn't have a nm dependency (thank fucking god, network manager sux dix).
Try marking network manager as installed manually. Then apt-get shouldn't mark is as unnecessary when removing KDE.

This sounds like it will help. Gonna try this next, thank you.

>Install multiple DE's, makes stuff unstable(let's add that i somehow managed to provoke an unresponsive kernel panic from playing 3-4 with of them).
Have no idea how you managed to fuck up with that. When I tried to install 2-3 DE's, it worked just fine.

>Oh, right, i just accidentally squashed a couple of libraries i needed elsewhere.
Well, it's your fall. You should read what a package manager writes to you. For example if I want to delete snappy, it tells me that it cant do that because snappy is a dependency for chromium. You can delete it anyway if you want but it will be your fault obviously. The same shit would happen if you delete DirectX on windows and complain that games are not working anymore.

>You just got used to it.
Even Microsoft put linux command lines into their Windows 10 because everyone knows how great it is.

Bear in mind is just a guess. I'm speaking from experience though, had similar problems few years back.

Marking packages as manually installed can be done either by synaptic or simply "apt-get install " on already installed package.

Oh yeah, and for certain apps, like pinguybuilder, i had to install another package manager, with it's own fucking idiosyncrasies, on top of the default one, just to make it run.

wtf are you talking about?

And YOU must have even less to do if you're replying in said thread.

No you didn't have to.

In all honesty, because I accidentally partitioned my entire drive for Windows and I'm too lazy to back things up and move everything over to an overwritten partition.

>Well, it's your fall.
Of course. When anything breaks in linux, it's never the OS's fault, it's the user's.
>You should read what a package manager writes to you.
Thing is, it didn't even give any hint that "nigga, are you sure? this might break XYZ"

>Even Microsoft put linux command lines into their Windows 10 because everyone knows how great it is.
For some stuff, it's pretty cool.
And people are used to it.

maketecheasier.com/pinguy-builder/
It needs gdebi.
And trust me, it won't work otherwise.
It results in some pretty weird ass situation where it's invisible a command to install the deb, and clicking the file to install results in some weird ass stuff where it's stuck at 33%, and trying to cancel doesn't work, and it just makes it sit there, half-broken in the installed programs list, but it bugs out when you try to interact with it, only going away if you reboot the system.

You are either a troll or just plain stupid and your excuses are just laughable. I'm not gonna waste my time on you.

*invisible to a command to install the deb. file

gdebi is not a package manager you dumb cunt.

>Make thread on why folk don't convert to linux
>People give reasons and practical examples of stuff acting weirdly

>Hurr, durr, you're just too stoopid to use bash;

Oh right, it's a package "installer".
It does the same shit, but without remote repos.

use apt-get install -f to install dependencies if you don't want to use dgebi

>hurr durr i dont like cli but I can't tell you why, maybe because I am too dumb. And hurr durr I can't read command output let's just fuckin press enter

>And hurr durr I can't read command output
Maybe if it had given any info regarding it.

Are you retarded?

I'm not talking about your example.
But yes, not having all this shit tied up with each other like it's explorer.exe would be nice, as well.

Already did

Installed debian the other day and tried to get g++ working. It was broken out of the box, it had broken dependencies. Tried installing a few other packages and they all had broken dependencies too. I literally just installed it. What a joke. Now I'm back to Windows and using Microsoft visual studio as my main workhorse

>debian
should have used a real distro like arch desu desu senpai

Because I use my PC for more things than shitposting on Sup Forums and watching anime and need to run industry standard software that doesn't exist on Linux

install gentoo

dpkg -i autism.deb

>works on my machine
>it's your fault
>omgz wangblows shill!
Yep, the current state of loonix support summed up in one post

>the current state of loonix support summed up in one post
as opposed to indians repeating "have you tried restarting sir???" like mantra?

I'm thinking about it. Alpine, Gentoo, Slackware are my current choices.

It's just the state of Sup Forums muh minimal distro support. The rest of the community went on with their lives after installing Mint, Debian or Ubuntu.

>arch
>lol
>post on Sup Forums
kys

If you are too dumb to google, just stick with Windows

I'm sure how I would switch to a kernel. Do you mean GNU+linux-libre?

>do you know how to use X?
>no, and i don't want to know it, i have Y and im fine with that
>OMFG YOU ARE JUST TOOO DUMB FOR X
>have to google everything to use the most basic function of LOONIX
AHAHAHA nice one

Honestly because I can never get it to work with my BIOS

>be me
>install Xubuntu
>refuses to boot
>have to reinstall Windows to use my laptop again

>CLI's make me wanna stab myself, at times.
>completely a linux server course

If this is my competition, I'll be landing a job soon.

Personally, never really understood the hype behind the "minimal distro".
If you want minimal just do a base install of debian/ubuntu/whatever (no X, or anything) and then install the packages you need until you get a system you're happy with.
Personally, I like openbox + a few things

you dont need to make excuses for being stupid

>being so proud because you know how to google things
wow mr.hacker please calm down, it's not that hard to google things but using OS that requires you to google so much just to use it, is not worth using as desktop OS

>using OS that requires you to google so much just to use it,
If you have used Linux your whole life and switch to windows, you will google a lot to. For example, tell me how to permanently completely disable build in antivirus without goolging it. You fuckin can't.

>real distro
>Arch
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I tried and it was garbage

>Why haven't you switched to Linux yet?
because I happen to enjoy how buggy, virus prone and dumbed-down windows is.

Why the fuck do I want something that I can fine tune and customize instead of a 1-size-fits-all barrel of crap?

The best part about Windows is its update process. I love clicking the 'update windows' button and fapping to the 3-6 hour process of checking, downloading, and applying updates

not to mention its total lack of fine detail. Its much more efficient for a computer to decide how to implement things than me. If you think about it like this it makes perfect sense why Microsoft tries to hide the techinical options deep within a maze-like GUI.

The (second) best part about windows is its virus support. I hate it when I am trying to find a decent virus on Linux and none of them will infect my machine unless if I intentionally download closed-source software from a sketchy source and execute it with root privileges.. So frustrating. With windows literally all I need to do is enable javascript and browse a few websites and i've found a virus

Fug linux, that shiz is for l0sers

Your Windows machine uses 2GB or RAM just to display the desktop and 40GB of storage just to boot.

A casual Linux user can run Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora without ever messing with a command line. I'm sure there are others too. This is really no excuse.

I already have

use kde/xfce/lxde/openbox/anything that lets you get away from the software horror that is gnome3

but it just works

mmmm pasta

It's still a fact that firefox takes ages to load and has sluggish animations compared to windows. Even every single filemanager takes longer than explorer.exe to load because distributions can't be arsed to implement proper preload to their most used applications.
Plasma desktop freezes when clicking on the clock or menu widget for fucks sake. And they REFUSE to precache their fucking widgets because some custom special snowflake widget could leak memory.
Also, windows takes the same amount of ram depending on how much you have, just like a "modern" DE take at least 15-20% of it.
Plus you still don't have proper compositing where the mouse doesn't play catch up with a moving window, not even with wayland. How come windows had it since vista (2006, ELEVEN Years ago) and linux still struggles with the most basic shit?

because I don't need linux yet

Adobe Suite (only new versions) doesn't work fully yet :(

>read your post wondering what the hell you must have done to linux to make it slower than windows
>realise you're using KDE

It's the only one, feature wise, to compete with proprietary shells and it's lighter than any gnome based DE.

The software I run exclusively works on a proprietary OS.

Gayms
I work on Linux
I study on Linux
I'll probably make the switch in the future. I'll just get another PC and the windows will be gayming dedicated

>freetards think using google is the SOP for using their """desktop os"""
O I b laffin

Because I always end up having trouble either with battery life, graphics drivers, suspend or wifi.

I used Linux as my main OS when I got a desktop computer around 2003-2004, and I learned a lot these days. But since I went laptop-only Linux has been a headache mostly because hardware issues. Windows does everything I need almost without hassle. Sometimes I install Linux to play around again but always end up going back to Windows.

I don't know why suspense and hibernating are even a think nowadays. It's even slower than just cold boot from an ssd. I can understand why nobody cares about fixing those bugs. Saving session state is a thing for those too lazy to close their programs.

What?

Linux doesn't have as good as graphics hardware support as Windows does.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager

Of all the things I expect of my OS, it does nothing better than Windows.

This

Good. There's a reason I have more than 2 fucking GB of RAM.

Graphics drivers and window compositors are shit in Linux, complete and utter shit. Some people like you and me can tell the difference, others can't.

Maybe things will improve with Wayland but it's too soon to tell.

>horror that is gnome3

Out of all that I tried GNOME3 was by far the best, at least when using wayland but this also mode chromium use even more cpu recources (apparently because it was using xwayland and that doesn't work properly/efficiently yet)

KDE was by far the worst, I gave up after 8 hours, absolute fucking train wreck that is ugly as shit and has ugly random menus throughout programs and shit like panels and buttons aren't even aligned properly it is just absolutely disgusting, also had to export a second triple buffer just for KDE to stop it tearing because wayland session crashed to black screen and login (sddm) every time I opened a window.

All those other you mention I've tried and they are just 1998 tier horrible shit, I have a good computer I spent good money putting together and like to have modern niceties and so far only Windows is anywhere close to satisfying me. Not sure why I should be forced to use Xfce or Lxde on my powerful i7 desktop when my 8 year old core2 laptop with 2gb ram runs Windows 10 flawlessly, what a fucking joke.

A computer is supposed to do work, not be work.

5 years ago.

this

You're supposed to know how a computer works, not treat it as a smartphone like some illiterate consumer.

You gain a new appreciation for stuff just working by using a linux machine for 6 months.

>more software on other platforms
Blatant lie

Ideally because you need more than 2GB of RAM to run programs, not a fucking desktop environment.
Shit I have 32GB and even then it's breddy tight with some scientific computations, I definitely wouldn't want the OS taking up more than 6% of my memory just to be idle.
Plus you're ignoring the 40GB of installation which on a 512GB SSD is almost 8%.

Gamers are cancer

This apparently needs to be repeated since you lacked the intelligence to comprehend it the first time:
A computer is supposed to do work, not be work.

im about to delete my linux partition actually, kek

>Games
>Video Editing Software
>AIMP
>Battery Life

But I envy YouTube-dl tho

>Linux doesn't have as good as graphics hardware support as Windows does.
This is a common misunderstanding.
It's not windows that has graphics hardware support, It's the GPU manufacturer that supports windows.
A clear difference on who is to blame for the situation.

>my notions of what a computer "should" or "shouldn't" do are fact
Wrong, retard. It's only work if you lack the intelligence to understand trivial basics - so don't call me stupid when you yourself are a spewing retard.

>I have to go though extra steps to accomplish the same task. This means I'm smart!

Ableton live

>b-but other DAWs!11

I like live.

Archfags should kill themselves

like what

> I have to rebuild my car's engine every 50 feet, and this means I'm superior to everyone else because I KNOW HOW MY CAR WORKS!
The purpose of technology is to relieve us of our burdens, not add to them. You've conflated effort with accomplishment, losing sight of the goal.

name some burdens of Linux and don't include Sup Forums memes