I want to shift away from WhatsApp, I don't like how it must be connected to my phone. All my friends use it though...

I want to shift away from WhatsApp, I don't like how it must be connected to my phone. All my friends use it though. What platform should I try to convert them to? Web support is important to me.

Matrix/Riot if you want to keep it easy for them or Conversations + Gajim if you want absolute privacy and dont mind taking some time to explain everything to them and setting things up.

Don't listen to anyone saying Signal, it's centralized on a propietary server, requires your phone number and their web app only works with google chrome

I was gonna say telegram.

oh fugg

iMessage :^)

this

Telegram works without a Smartphone
All it needs is a phone number to send a verification to every time you install the client or use the webpage

Riot/matrix looks good, but it doesn't seem very active. Telegram is much more popular.

Telegram

Actual telegrams. Just because it's a 100 year old form of communication doesn't mean its useless.

Telegram is more popular but it's centralized on a propietary server just like Signal so it's a barely an increase of privacy in comparison to Whatsapp.

Why do you want anything else when whatsapp offer you everything?
It isn't enough special snowflake for you?

I_reply_to_posts_without_reading_them_just_so_I_can_ be_an_asshole.txt

he doesnt like how you always have to have your phone connected to use it, probably out of privacy concerns

Conversations. Isn't bound to mobile, supports PC/phone message sync. Only drawback is that it doesn't work well on chink shit phones with custom Android builds.

>>XMPP is still the best choice.
>XMPP is an utter abomination where XML document fragments interact directly with the TLS stack and the protocol resembles the cross product of Tasman and Trident parser bugs in 2005. Use Matrix.

OK, let me know when Matrix has a client that doesn't look like shit and has devs that at least try to work on 1:1 chat.

There is no good android IM besides XMPP if you forgive protocol the thing above.

Can mods ban this faggot apple shill?
He's rustling my jimmy patch right proper

Are Strip-O-Grams still acceptable?

If you want friends, keep using Whatsapp.

or google hangouts

I didn't even say xmpp was the best choice lole
Conversations is god tier tho as long as you dont try to maintain omemo encrypted mucs with 50 strangers in it who are never online.

imo the best choices are:
>private group or chat
XMPP, because it's actually secure and private and the problems with group-encryption are easy to fix in small groups
>public group
Matrix, because it's easy to use in bigger groups and the metadata leaks that go with the matrix protocol are no big deal for a chat that's public anyway

Also, quick reminder that Sup Forums still has an XMPP muc: Sup [email protected] :^)

>tfw every single fucking person I meet only uses WhatsApp and no other IM programme ever
>tfw get weird looks everytime I tell people I don't use it
>tfw at the point where I feel way too uncomfortable to actually install it, after talking about how much I dislike it all this time

I should probably just get a secondary phone number I can give out to new people.

yea its terrible, i solved it with a seperate old phone with whatsapp on it so i dont have to give people that arent close friends and girls i wanna hit on the complete meme story about botnets. Ofc I'm barely ever online so if people actually care about me they get tired of it soon enough and then im just like ayy ukno where im always online? Conversations! :DDDD

werks every tiem

Right? I'm thinking if I get a new phone I'll install WhatsApp on my current one, use a new number there, and just give that one out to girls I want to hit on.
Alternatively I'll just get really drunk in front of all my friends and install WhatsApp right then and there.

>Alternatively I'll just get really drunk in front of all my friends and install WhatsApp right then and there.
cant stop laughing desu lmao

if youre in a rush just buy a cheapo second hand phone, even something like a galaxy young is fine cus you can use whatsapp web

Telegram

>cant stop laughing desu lmao
I've done my deed for today. I'm actually serious, though.

Not in any rush, also got an old working smartphone here. It's more of pretext for myself, y'know? "I can't install it before I buy a new phone."

Slack

had to use that for my work for a while and it sucked tbdesu. both android and windows app are slow and way too high resource. if their server has a bad day images just wont load. glad im finally free of it. Matrix/riot does the same for free, better and without botnet