Programming languages

which programming language should I learn first? Is there any list that might show me the pro's and con's of each different programming language?

Other urls found in this thread:

notabug.org/koz.ross/awesome-c
github.com/vinta/awesome-python
github.com/akullpp/awesome-java
twitter.com/AnonBabble

depends on what u want to focus on, but personally python is a great starter.

Wrwfi

Lisp.

I think you should start with asm and simple c for 8086 once you get the low level everything else is piece of cake

Coldfusion, people will deny it but COLD motherfucking FUSION

where would one learn it

Jesus, this wallpaper is cringeworthy. Also python should be ok to start with.

Don't listen to these idiots.

Learn FORTRAN.

google for microcontroller programing there many open-source projects out there try to do what ever you like.

i started with asm from the 9th grade at school so can't really point you to a starting position

Python if you just want to get started quickly and make your own hobby projects

otherwise if you wanna learn more about computer science go with what or said

What is lisp even used for?

AI i think.

There are three I hear about the most; C, Python, and Java, are these any good? and what are these used for?

> which programming language should I learn first?
The one whose frameworks you would like to use to program whatever software you need to program.

> Is there any list that might show me the pro's and con's of each different programming language?
Many, and they're just about all bullshit.

Basically forget that approach.

I'm thinking of purchasing this book from my local thrift shop, is it a good book to learn C?

> what are these used for?
All of them are used for "everything" by someone, but C is pretty strong on OS kernels and microcontroller programming, Python is very often used as glue between other languages or for scripting sysadmin / IT tasks, and Java is the main language of Android apps and many web server stacks.

But again, all of them are used for a lot more than just that.

By the way, just to give a glimpse how very diversely these are used, these are some people's lists of favourite programming frameworks and tools:
notabug.org/koz.ross/awesome-c
github.com/vinta/awesome-python
github.com/akullpp/awesome-java

Basically, "all of these and more" are how these languages are used, eh.

Then C it is, are there any book recommendation?

Search amazon, you'll immediately find rated beginner's books.

the only book to learn C from is the C Programming Language

C#

Just go through Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs and become a wizard. The book is freely available online as a pdf.

Matlab is easy to understand you can learn logical operations and variable types really fast on matlab

Sup Forums approved and recommended in every single programming thread

C -> Java -> Python

if I were to give you pros and cons of a language, you don't have the knowledge to understand what each point is.

just learn C

I am. Thanks for the recommendation.