Advice on finding first dev job

I have 3 years (hobby) programming experience with fullstack Python web development and I'm trying to get my foot in the door of the industry. I did a bootcamp called Startup institute and did a Udacity nanodegree, which is the extent of my "formal" programming education. I have a (useless) B.A. in English. Are there jobs for Junior python/javascript developers? I started applying to dev jobs today, currently a w/m NEET who wants to fulfill his potential, think I can find a job or should I just skip it and kms?

github portfolio y/n

My github is pretty decent, I make at least 1-2 commits per day, sometimes up to 10 on my side projects.

>I make at least 1-2 commits per day, sometimes up to 10 on my side projects.

My commits are kind of large.. probably should work on that.

It's about code quality, not about the amount of commits

I'm always refactoring and adding comments. I wish I could work in a professional environment and see how things are done.

open a real github project and watch how they work then, retard

Fuck u. Ok i will.

Doesn't the Udacity nanodegrees have a part where they help find a job? I thought they all had a portion where they helped with that.

Also you are not going to get a job by applying to places, they will ignore your resume most of the time. Your best bet is to get a recommendation from someone in the company.

Start cramming as many HackerRank questions as you possibly can. In my experience, most companies will hit you with a generic 1-2 hour online test before they will even speak to you. Will help for whiteboarding during onsites as well. Also, fuck recruiters. Most of them are annoying and literally do nothing but serve as a layer of indirection between you and the company. They will also give out your salary information willy nilly without consulting you first. If you're going to work with them, don't have more than a couple running at once. You also need to keep track of which companies you already applied to so a recruiter doesn't double apply there. If you have any real life friends in software development, do some mock whiteboarding sessions. Have them ask you basic interview questions (tell me about yourself, why software development, walk me through your resume, explain XYZ project on your GitHub, etc.) until you can recite it in your sleep. Whatever you put in your resume, make sure you can answer random questions based on it. Sounds obvious but it's easy to forget specifics about a language or something you used years ago.

Moar pics like that with employment tips.

honestly python isnt that big.

i dont know how much money/time you have but i would strongly consider going back and learning java.

just saying.

Pylint my nigga
Also tox+travis+coverage

>tfw n (No)
All I have is a trivial program to post - how trivial is too trivial to warrant posting on github?

OP here, I put every little thing I'm working on on github, no matter how trivial. I have a few private repos for the things I don't need the public to see, but I keep everything on github.

I got a job with a GitHub that only has variations of FizzBuzz in the different languages and frameworks I know.

OP, 1up this guy and fill your repo with variations of calculating the sum of all primes under 2 million

I also went from NEET to being employed (and then to NEET again, but that's another story).

This is what I recommend:

Find a way to start networking: Go ask the guys of your bootcamp if they can help you with contacts (or if they organize gatherings for their alumni), and seek those people.

Use a site like meetups.com to find user groups of your tech stack (django or whatever), more often than not in the meetings there are companies representatives looking for people to hire, and if you talk to them directly you have really high chances of getting an interview.

Send at least 10 CVs online daily, online is harder IMO but if you apply a lot you will get some calls (my ratio is 3.71% online CVs -> call, and 50% interview -> job offer if that gives you an idea).

You are a software developer, not a lib arts major, all that unemployment crisis you hear is for people of other careers, people are always looking for developers.

start sucking dicks off craigslist. casually mention you know programming for the slim chance they can get you a job.

>fill your repo with variations of calculating the sum of all primes under 2 million
I can actually do this. I have a sieve, a bitsieve, a deterministic (up to 2^64 - 1) Miller-Rabin primality test, and of course trial division.

>CS is a meme just learn programming on your own and get a coding job
>3 years later

No. I can't even get a junior position and I have a degree in CS. I am thinking about switching to IT since there seems to be very little software jobs except in very specific parts of the US.

Programming for a living in the US seems like a meme unless you are a foreigner since it seems like they are the only ones being hired.

What isn't a fucking meme job? If you mention any profession on here it gets called a meme

You could probably get in at some startup. Pay won't be good though.

did you not do any internships? companies like lockheed martin, nsa, nga, fbi, cia, raytheon, google, facebook, boeing, amazon, anything big will fly you out and provide housing during an internship. if you're a fit for their atmosphere you'll end up with a career.

my favorite are the ones who take CS just to learn programming and not the rest of CS and then complain that they can't find a job.

I just got hired as a web dev with ZERO job experience. My extent of knowledge was installing apache on a raspberry pi and following a bootstrap tutorial.

Where the fuck did you apply?

thats a nice boat

I don't care about pay I need any job

I know, I know.

Ruby/Rails or Python/Django?

Do you know how to program? What's the most complex programming project you've ever completed?
He doesn't even need an internship, just some proof that he knows how to program. Internships definitely help in this regard though, and they get your foot in the door at said company.

Whats a boat?

She's sitting on one

Never noticed lol, though why are you so sure that it's a boat? couldn't it be a wall or something else?

Are you retarded? She's the boat!

>3 years (hobby) programing
That ain't worth shit user