/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old Thread :

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/iCreatin-Unlimited-Shielded-Ethernet-Networking/dp/B00TGJHPGS/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TGJHPGS&pd_rd_r=TDRR481G7JEA5SWWQW6A&pd_rd_w=hyw6a&pd_rd_wg=v8s3P&psc=1&refRID=TDRR481G7JEA5SWWQW6A
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wlxd.pomochallenge&hl=en
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
kizo2703.deviantart.com/art/Windows-classic-theme-for-Windows-8-RTM-8-1-10-325642288
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

amazon.com/iCreatin-Unlimited-Shielded-Ethernet-Networking/dp/B00TGJHPGS/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TGJHPGS&pd_rd_r=TDRR481G7JEA5SWWQW6A&pd_rd_w=hyw6a&pd_rd_wg=v8s3P&psc=1&refRID=TDRR481G7JEA5SWWQW6A

will this speed up my internet connection

Got an interview question asking to explain difference between access, excel spreadsheet, and sql, and to give an example of where it can be used.
I think I did good but can someone give me an example answer?
Unless you are currently using 4-wired 100Mb/s cable and your internet connection speed is over 100Mb/s, no.

How can I install gentoo Linux on this machine?

Had a follow up question with this:
So if I have a brand new Dell and want to utilize YUMI to sneak Windows 7 on via a thumbdrive...

Would I need to configure anything special to the Win7.iso, like the dell drivers?

If not, would the Dell drivers be able to run in Win7 environment? I specifically have a Dell Inspiron 15 5567. I understand many of you say "it depends on the chipset" if the drivers will work. Is there a way I could check?

Not sure where to ask, so I'll ask Sup Forums and Sup Forums

I'm at my friends house and we're looking to play Rainbow 6 Siege together. He bought his through Steam, I bought mine through Uplay. His computer doesnt currently have the game installed, and the internet where we are is pretty slow, so it would take an age. I have Siege installed on my computer through Uplay alone - my question is, can I transfer a backup copy of the folder of Siege to his computer, and then have Steam recognize it and run it?(Or since you have to go through Uplay anyway, have uplay run it?)

I found some tutorials of transferring games from uplay to uplay and steam to steam, but not from uplay standalone to a steam-based uplay version.

whats a good voice modulator that isnt a toy and easy to transport hand held or pocket wise with a headset the only thing ive found are toys or really shitty modulators.

Red pill me on VPNs.
What are the chances action would be taken if I was downloading a torrent without a VPN?
What's the best one out there? Are free ones worth it?

>What are the chances action would be taken if I was downloading a torrent without a VPN?
This is international website. We don't know what country you are in.

>look for a video to learn C programming as a complete beginner
>the guy starts speaking in completely
incomprehensible indian accent
Every fucking time.
Anyone can recommend a video series or something that is very beginner friendly but is in native English or at least non Indian accent?

What's the best cheap backpack on amazon?

Videos aren't good for beginners.
Get a textbook and just tank it- a hundred or so pages in you'll know the fundamentals. Learn something easy like Java or C# to understand the basics of programming. The teaching resources for these two languages are much more vast, open and easier to understand. When you learn one language, it's easier to learn others.

I've started a small business to sell a service that would benefit a lot of people, but the one guy who was supposed to be my sales guy is a strung out coke fiend so I have to make calls myself. Its been two months and I've only made $900. I'm going underwater with all my costs and contemplating suicide.

So I want to repackage my service as a product and sell it. I need to make a desktop application that pulls information from public sites based on the user's information, puts that data into in certain fields, then exports those fields to specific PDF files. What's the best way to go about doing this?

shut the fuck up

I've used expressvpn and downloaded hundreds of torrents and I've never had a problem with it. If you really want to be secure, get a seedbox. Its like $10 a month and it uploads for you so you never have to worry about your ratio on private trackers.

But for VPNS, I would recommend mullvad. Its much cheaper than express vpn.

I know, I know.

Look I don't need to be spoonfed. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

you are not "fooling" the computer into thinking it´s installing win10
and i may have to clarify that this is only to provide drivers for the installation process nothing more
because (and i assume you had a problem with this) if you want to install win7 it will only work if it has the necessary drivers (chipset drivers if i remember correctly?) if not you would be unable to install it

in regards of the question weither the dell drivers would run in win7 that simply depends on if there´s a driver for it somewhere because (at least in my experience) if it´s compatible the producer of the hardware (not dell but realtek for example) will release the drivers but you will not be able to just go on and use the drivers w10 has on w7 at least in most cases i guess

Whats better between stylish and greasemonkey?

they perform different tasks
stylish is a botnet so of course greasemonkey

Suck it and see.
If it doesn't work you'll just end up downloading it anyway.

FUCKING ALWAYS AT THE TAIL END OF THIS SHIT.

I'm a freelance artist and have been using this productivity timer app on my phone: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wlxd.pomochallenge&hl=en
I've looked tried a few different ones but I like everything about it better than the alternatives except I hate the aesthetic. Is there any way I can change the icons? I would love to switch out the stupid little soviet style characters with something else.

shut the fuck up

Is there a way to install any version of Windows with the need of a product key?

Shit my bad. I meant without a key.

download a different version of the iso
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
not sure but i never had to enter it and i am using en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677651.iso

>Is there a way to install any version of Windows with the need of a product key?
Yes, get a CD or hardware with a Windows OS on it, it will ask for the product key at some point

I meant without one.

What kind of fucking question is that. What was the job?

I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu with the minimal ISO because I hate how Ubuntu normally preloads lots of crap and I don't know the package names for all the bloat. Would the minimal iso omit anything important?

Correct, thank you for the clarification.
I have a sneaking suspicion I purchased the wrong laptop today. It has the 7th gen Core i7.

If I really had my heart set on Win7, should I return it for a different model?

Cool thanks user-kun

I used to use msdn to check hashes for Windows isos, but now I get this.

Anyone know what the deal is? Am I just fucked?

you should try mint if you hate how heavy ubuntu feels.

depends on how much you can be bothered with hunting drivers that might only be available from suspicious Russian websites
I have a 7th gen cpu too
and it took me quite some searching to get everything done
the worst were the chipset drivers
that´s why i permanently moved on to arch on it

and if you are really set on using win7 and you don´t want to search drivers like that
i´d recommend when you return this one, to check if the new one you´d buy has the necessary win7 drivers offered by dell and the likes before buying it

visit the new portal?
i don´t see the problem there

>visualstudio.com

Obviously that doesn't have shit

It will be a pain to say the least. Also win 7 doesn't do updates on the latest gen of processors, so you'll need to at least do a hack if you want security updates on that model.

I hate mint even more than Ubuntu. Plus it's developers are incompetent that's the worst distro for security.

you should try arch if don´t want tons of crap preloaded
and it´s quite comfy if you can follow basic instructions once

just cause it´s called visualstudio.com doesn´t mean that they don´t offer the other stuff there.
after all Microsoft wouldn´t just remove your non visualstudio subscriptions would it?

How to weaponize cheese

hide it under the car-seat of a car standing in the sun in summer

In vim, is there a way to search for two strings and have them match only if they are within a specified proximity of each other?

I don't have any subscriptions. It just used to let me look at the available downloads and see their hashes, even if I couldn't download them there.

I guess it's telling me to fuck off, but it's bullshit and doesn't really make sense. I was wondering if there is any other way to see the hashes other than just trusting some guy that claims to have a subscription.

So what the fuck is there to do in the fast-approaching future for someone who wants to remain on Windows 7 but with new hardware (like new Intel processors, latest mobs and shit)?

Kaby Lake + future chips only supports win10, apparently no one makes drivers for new computers/laptops for Win7.

Do I:
1.) give up because it's impossible
2.) research endlessly for work arounds, peruse hobbyist forums for like-minded individuals and hope that user patches are made
3.) feel like an idiot because it's really not this hard
4.) fuck it all and switch to Linux?

I know end result is #4, but for proprietary school shit and games I can't be arsed right now.

Thank you again for your input!

Yarg, that's what a friend is warning me about right now. I'll check on other models that the store was selling and see if they have W7 drivers. I will certainly make use of YUMI eventually though, thank you for the info!

Yeaahhh. I am not doing gaming or anything on this laptop-- strictly for business and watching youtube when travelling. There's just a few things I desire:
+ Numpad
+ Win7
+ No advertisements and notifications saying I can sign into skype when I want to. Holy dick.

I'm in a living complex with internet as a provided utility. right now I have my router set up in wireless bridge mode, but the connection is shit. there's an ethernet jack on the wall that I'm assuming will let me connect to the same network somehow. how do I configure my router to use the wired internet connection, but keep my shit on a seperate subnet?

I have trouble getting anything to work in Arch. Anytime I try to install something from the Aur I get errors. this includes Metate week which I don't want to use matay without and KDE connect which failed to do anything no matter which version I installed. if anything should break are we unable to focus on anythingfor the several days will take me to fix it. I would use Solus if it could run KDEconnect.

Yeah, I'd say do windows 8, but they're cutting updates to that too. Microsoft really are great pulsing dicks. If you just need browsing/office, there are a shitton of thinkpads etc that will work great for you.

get qemu or the likes and run win7 in it until you completely move to linux

hmm that sucks of course
you could go with antergos maybe? (not sure how much bloat they install)
but in my experience their repo is less volatile than aur and it´s still not as bloated as most i´ve used besides it

Literally just use your router's default settings. You'll have a closed NAT type and added latency, but your file sharing etc will be isolated. I'd think about how important that is to you and consider just joining the network at large.

>(not sure how much bloat they install)
a terrible display manager that lags horribly on all of my computer's. if I wanted to use Arch I would just use Arch.

I just want to know if you Ubunttu minimal I so will omit anything I would care about. like support for printers, my Wi-Fi card, anything security related Etc. I've accepted I'm not smart enough to use anything else.

what does this mean Sup Forums?
>The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.
>The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

Give me some ideas where i can spam my shitty survey links to make money from, already tried youtube comments but its too much work

Looking to buy pic related

Only thing I'm worried about is it has only 4Gb ram and it's not upgradable.

I've been working with 4Gb with my current laptop for the last 4 years and I've never had any complaints about performance, but I'm worried that I might need more in the future.

I only really use it for college (no video/photo editing or gaming) and watching movies/series.

You guys reckon I should look for something with more RAM or will I be fine?

I forgot to mention that I'm using ddwrt. so all I have to do is plug my router into the wall and shut off the antenna and automatic configuration will make everything just werk?

Can I use an external mechanical drive to boot live usbs? Dongles are too slow to write to.

I need to enable DirectPlay in Windows 7 but the Legacy Components section in Turn Windows Features On or Off is missing. How do I enable it now?

>shut off the antenna
If you want a wired-only connection, sure. The network setup should detect your connection just fine. Routers pretty much default to being routers, so it doesn't take anything special to nest yours behind the main one. It won't be a great setup for gaming/torrenting/voip, but a lot of people get by alright on it.

If you using Linux, probably not. If you using Windows I'm sure we'll get even shittier in their future end I need to let three or four gigs of RAM instead of 2.

best way to make a semi-decent resume with :
- no professional experience
- boring school projects

I would ask in /dpt/ but they'd just tear me to shreds. Field is software engineering and I graduate with BS in 6 months.

How much longer until you graduate? DESU, anything less than five years and you should just go for the 4gigs.

>order motherboard and case through newegg, everything else through amazon
>amazon shit coming in every so often, last shipment will arrive this thurday
>newegg tells me stuff was delivered to PO Box Friday and today
>go to post office today
>nothing there, so I ask front desk, they say i need a USPS tracking#
>mfw Newegg shipped by FedEx
>go home, call FedEx
>automated phone system tells me this was a smart post or whatever, so i must call the sender about any problems
>get on customer service with newegg, mansplain her my problem, she tells me i need to call fedex
>told her i already did
>tells me to ask my neighbors
>excuseme.txt, my post office doesnt have neighbors
>tells me to call USPS
>call them, robot USPS needs a USPS tracking #
>Put in FedEx tracking#, obv doesnt work
>tell newegg the shit doesnt work
>she tells me to call USPS and tell them the problem
>bitch you just told me that
>tell her its an automated system and theres no customer reps because offices were closed
>bitch says sorry, you gotta take it up with USPS, ends convo
fuck newegg and fuck fedex. guess im buying everything through amazon now

Why is it taking so long to scan my computer?

I was thinking about that. I've got a 2010 Samsung that's actually of decent quality (nothing like thinkpad) that has the most minimal W7 setup a non comp-sci major could possible throw together. Only issue is that battery life caps at 2hrs unplugged. Slowly dying and can't fully charge.

It means that if the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.

You're graduating in half a year and haven't done any interesting private projects yet?

Anyways, I'd just build a bunch of cool things. It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as they use whatever skill you want to show on your portfolio.

You have 3 viruses

Write a comfy tiling window manager for Weston.

Need to get a 2nd GPU so that I can connect some monitors that I got for free.

My main GPU is a GTX 970, and I am thinking about adding a HD 6450.
How well would that work? I need to extend displays, so I am not sure if that would affect it.

I have free ports on my 970 but need to connect 3 monitors.

I have several "projects" but they're very uninspiring and boring. I've worked on a few interesting things for school so I've been focusing on them.

Where is Windows Classic theme on W10? Did those fuckers do away with it?

Does anyone know of any sort of user-created theme that makes a believable "classic windows" environment?

Pic related. From:
kizo2703.deviantart.com/art/Windows-classic-theme-for-Windows-8-RTM-8-1-10-325642288

So my graphics card doesnt give signal to the monitors, is hidden in the device manager, and the fans are still running. It worked earlier today but after switching hdmi cables while it was plugged in and then turned off and later turned it on to find it doesnt give a signal, does this mean I broke it?

You could replace the battery, or get an external. A 2010 with an SSD is fine for most basic shit

Is there a way to make Plex stay in folder view on a phone? It used to default to that for me but I updated it and now it defaults to grid view. Can't find anything in the settings about it.

Is this adware? I didn't install anything recently on my computer, and it's not EXTREMELY invasive as it only pops up in google searches every once and awhile.

I was looking around for a battery but could only find refurbished ones. Bit of a gamble what you get- so I hear. I could probably try looking harder, but I'm sort of leaving next week for 2 months on the road. CONUS though, so not like going abroad. Unless you know of some magical battery warehouse?

I was thinking about an external, but my suitcase / courier is starting to fill up too much already.

>suitcase / courier is starting to fill up too much
There is so such thing as "fill up too much".Either it is full or it isnt.

Miktex or Texlive for Windows?

Think of it like a little asian girl. You can either just fill her up, or you can permanently modify her shape.

Hah! Listen, I spent my mid 2000 college years with darkalex modded PSP and charger in one cargo short pocket, NDS w/R4 and charger in other cargo short pocket... all because my bags were full of shit. I'm not even a comp sci major. I never signed up for this goddamn.

My friend recommended putting my OS onto an SSD. Is there anything specific I should know about the one I'm getting other than how much storage it has

Some work better than others, but they're all a huge upgrade from an HDD. Newer is generally better, the 850 is a good model.

CPU seems pretty fucked, wat do?

All I need to do is share my screen or window with a friend over the internet with a neglible delay.

I don't need to setup a server. I don't need virtual audio cable and three different programs hooked together through an OS emulator. All I need, is skype screen sharing but with audio and without the white noise. Please, help me.

replace the thermal compound and attach a good heat-sink (properly) attach proper cooling fans in proper orientation

u mean other than google hangouts?

if i buy a vpn and i live in one town, could my friends in other states also use the same vpn that im paying for, or will they have to make due by purchasing their own?

Bump

Taskbar is doing this really weird shit where the top 25% or so of the icon loads properly but the rest either lags or stays as it was before it acted up, wat do? I can't show proof because it looks fine in screenshots but this is the second time it's happened in a week now and I'm getting concerned.

Also I'm if it has anything to do with that

You would be able to share. Just depends how many connections your VPN allows. PIA for example allows up to 5.

You should split the costs with your friends to save money.

thank you sir, which vpn is best if i want to get away with pirating

A month ago, I got a google voice number after using an android app to receive the 6 digit code. After I closed the window, my number went away, and I could no longer receive calls from the number that I chose (I think from Tennessee or something), so it tells me that I can choose a number.
I click that link, and it leads me to choose a number from different cities. I choose a New York number, and then it tells me to put my phone number so that I can receive a 6 digit code like last time.
Well, I put the phone number, and it says that I can't use that number. What the fuck is this?

Why did it lose the original number I chose, and why is it not letting me pick a new one??

No problem bro, I personally use PIA and it's great.

Google hangouts fps is maybe 2fps. 15fps would be fine but 2 is unusable.

to all the people i've helped in this thread but never heard back from:
you're fucking welcome, cum-guzzlers!

twitch maybe?

So I tried accessing a site I access regularly and got redirected to a random site with a cryptic url. I have no-script on so all I saw was a blank page with a short list of links. I noped out pretty fast. Then I searched if anyone else was having this issue and found no one else complaining. So I went back and could access the site normally again.

What the fuck happened? I don't visit shady sites or download stuff from untrustable ressources.

It looks and sounds great but has a 30sec+ delay even with the "reduce delay" beta option.

My friend and I tried Skype screen share, Nvidia Geforce stream share, Google Hangouts, Twitch and Mixer. Why is this so difficult? 15fps, 1-2 second delay. Doesn't seem hard. Every program we try fixes one issue, but brings up another. Google hangouts has 3fps. Skype screen share has good fps but no audio sharing. Geforce only supports 3 games. Mixer's delay is insane like Twitches.

I want to die. I want to play a VN with a friend. It doesn't need to be high fps. But I don't want ot have to left click, wait 10 seconds, then progress for EVER. SINGLE. DIALOG. BOX.