Why would I buy a PC over a laptop?

I want to buy myself a new computer. I don't game I would only need this for productivity(photoshop, premiere).

I'm deciding between a laptop and a PC.

For $1000 I could build this PC
pcpartpicker.com/list/FcPXzM

However, for the same money I could buy this laptop
amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/

It seems to me that their performance should be nearly identical.

However the laptop has a huge benefit in the portability section. Plus I get to sell my old laptop.

Why would I buy the PC over the laptop? Am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

ultrabookreview.com/15339-acer-predator-helios-300-review/#a4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A Desktop PC has more longevity since it's easier to swap components.

I think the convenience of probability heavily outweighs that benefit.

>convenience of probability

just get a modern thinkpad or latitude laptop with a docking station.

>buys a red predator laptop
>expects us to believe he's not gaming
If you brought that laptop into work I'd bully you.

Ok, say you have had the machine for a while and you want to reflow the thermal paste. Would you rather do it on a laptop or a desktop? how about changing out the GPU?

what are you trying to say

>Not working for yourself
>Letting goyim exploit you for profit

okay wagecuck >:)

portability
not probability

Dumb phoneposter.

No I'm just retarded.

those two things are already inseperable

>Why would I buy the PC over the laptop? Am I missing something?
The processor is much better than the laptop's. Maintenance is much easier. Upgrades are actually possible. You get a valuable experience putting it together, making future maintenance and upgrading easier as you already know everything about your computer. Each part will have its own warranty and they are typically longer than a laptop's.

>You get a valuable experience putting it together

This is a meme. I've built computers before. It's lego.

>I don't game
Then the main reason to buy a desktop PC is irrelevant.
>I would only need this for Photoshop and Premiere
Both of those programs will run better on a desktop PC.
>Huge benefit in the portability section
I'm not sure I understand. If you're using Photoshop for "productivity" I would expect you to be sitting at a desk anyway for some length of time. I fail to see how a portable, inferior machine is preferable for this application.

Yes, it is easy to do. My point was that building it give you the knowledge of exactly what's in your computer, where it is and how it works. Troubleshooting, maintenance and upgrading is easier when you know this stuff.

>The processor is much better than the laptop's

This has been the only decent counter argument in this entire thread.

There's no reason of having a laptop if you already have a good smartphone and a desktop PC.

Laptops are deprecated trash.

Desktop. Looks like you just want the laptop, why the fuck did you even ask us?

>Modern Thinkpad

>the convenience of probability

How are upgrading and warranty not good counter arguments?

only a worthless NEET would save a thumbnail

thought those were shrimp heads from the thumbnail

The real answer is get a convertible 2-in-1.

>performance should be nearly identical
you fucking wish. it's safe to say that the ryzen processor is at least 2-2.5 times better even at stock clocks (but only retards won't OC them to 1800x levels). also i hope you don't expect to be getting anything more than 15 minutes of battery life on full-load with the amazing 4-cell battery it has.
not to mention it has a full-blown 1060, no way this laptop isn't going to be a throttling piece of garbage when thrown any meaningful load.
and i didn't even mention the m.2 ssd that has double the storage, but that's a minor issue.

modularity + upgradability
life expectancy (especially with batteries)
power for cost
not as locked down in many cases with software choices.
can drive multimonitor setups better
more ports

A desktop isnt for everyone of course, but if i could only have one id choose the desktop

depends on how serious OP is about photoshop and premiere.
getting a pc for that means getting a good display is a MUST.
on laptops it pretty much comes down to dell and apple in the display department. but apple is underpowered and overpriced, while dell is unreliable as fuck

>>I'm deciding between a laptop and a PC.

every laptop is a PC.

Convencience (performance) vs Efficiency (portability)?
Efficiency is better in most cases. All you'll ever need is a decent internet connection anywhere and just ssh+vnc over your home/workstation to do your 'convenient' shit.

There's no other reason to use PC besides larger screen 'real estate' or 'vidya/hobby related'
You only build PC for hobby or some indie shit. Your work would and should provide PC with configurations tailored for the workplace.
>inb4 op thinks he can build his rig at work

almost forgot. the new spectre laptops have good displays, but they're expensive and tend to overheat

that depends on op having a workstation (desktop) pc already

>There's no other reason to use PC besides larger screen 'real estate' or 'vidya/hobby related'
or doing actual work, ie programming, graphics, etc

>laptop
shitty ergonomics
shitty screen
shitty keyboard

an acer predator is bulky so the portability advantage isn't that great. presumably you'll be sitting at your desk when working

Why do you ask if you already know that you want to sacrifice performance over portability? The 1700 will perform leagues above the mobile 7700HQ in Premiere and won't throttle to hell and back. The panel has absolute dogshit color reproduction as well.

ultrabookreview.com/15339-acer-predator-helios-300-review/#a4

also less/none thermal throttling of components

Everybody here missed the point of the superiority of a desktop. Here it is. You already have one and when you upgrade it will be piece by piece so you never actually have to drop that 1000 dollars at one time. Yes you will occasionally need new RAM motherboard and proc but you still have the old case power supply monitor drives, etc.

Just buy a monitor and a keyboard then.

I made the mistake of buying a $500 laptop a few years back (as a teenager/poorfag) and I regretted it for years. I could barely run any games on it and I had to rig up a cooling station for it so I couldn't even really use it as a mobile computer.

When I finally got the moneys to buy a desktop I said I would never buy another laptop to use as my primary computer again. Of course I got a shitty laptop for the sole purpose of college but the only time I use it is if I have no other option.

>buy laptop
>slow as shit
>cant play games on it
>something breaks and you're fucked

>but hey I can carry it with me!

a $500 laptop now could play most games, look up benchmarks for the intel 620

it's nowhere near "serious" pc gaming standards

gtx 1070 has sick performance compared to any igpu and people are using it for gaming at 1080p

>Why would I buy the PC over the laptop? Am I missing something?
Laptops are not as easily upgraded as a desktop PC. Upgrading a computer's hardware is a legitimate long term concern.

better ergonomics
more storage
cheaper
more longevity