Can anybody remember this? crysis, oblivion, 3dmark06 good old times. this was the beginning of GPU gaming era

can anybody remember this? crysis, oblivion, 3dmark06 good old times. this was the beginning of GPU gaming era

Other urls found in this thread:

geforce.com/whats-new/articles/voodoo-revived
anandtech.com/show/2365
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ned for sped on voodoo

Fucking kids these days.

kek, i had Voodoo 2 SLI

I can do you one better.

WoW was prime with this in my Optiplex and its bizarro form factor case that didn't close all the way with this inside.

My first real gpu was an evga 9800gt. I used it for years, but eventually relented and got a 7970. I still have the gt in a box, and I can't see myself letting it go.

I remember saving up lunch money to afford it, in the end, in the end it took me so long and didn't have enough so bought an HD 4850

Yeah, spent $650+ and still couldn't run Crysis past 30fps unless medium settings

This is where its at boys... The mighty Matrox Mystique 2D/3D card back in the Windows 95 days.

x600 Half Life 1... The memories...

i remember laughing at the gay gaymer graphics on the plastic fan shroud

>it only took ten years but thank god all GPUs are Stealth Bomber now....

>git gud

Voodoo 5 with a tuner and the fuck huge capture "dongle" with the thiccc cable.
That thing earned me so much cash back in junior high since plebs couldn't into video capture from their shitty Hi8 cams.

Not mine but pic related

I remember it frying
switched to radeon and never went back to amd ever since lel

never went back to nvidia*

You need to be 18 or older to post on this site.

Jonnes can't remember 3dfx

>this was the beginning of GPU gaming era
Fucking what? GPUs had been around for almost a decade by that point.

You need to be over 18 to post here.

OP should die of shame. You can't be serious, read up some history and don't make shit threads like this.

Shouldn't 15 years old boys be sleeping?

>over 30
>still on the Sup Forums

My first GPU was the GeForce4 MX440.

I was like 9 or 8. The stupid tech support installed it and forgot to install the drivers. Plus he connected the monitor cable to the motherboard.

I spent maybe some time to notice what was working bad... GPU demanding games weren't working smooth, but I usually played shit games so... didn't care

At least we don't make shit threads.

I saved it 4 times with the oven technique - was able to play GTA V - Best card in history (Before the Ultra)

Yeah, you should be happily married and have children by then. WTF.

I thought you're all alphas and shit.

Over 40, in fact. Now go to bed and never make such a stupid thread again.

this was my first discrete 3D accellerator

I would've played the fuck out of half-life 2 with that.

Are you 12?
Ever heard of 3dfx voodoo 1?

i got a 7600GT PCI-E
ran FarCry and Crysis quite fine, HL2 was a piece of cake

>Over 40, in fact. Now go to bed and never make such a stupid thread again.
John the club
t.turned 40 last week

I bet half the people on Sup Forums are middle aged fags larping as 19 year olds

First videocard I ever had was a 1080 ti. I'm only 12 tho.

:3c

Hahaha, for the sake of nostalgia? I'm proud to be old somehow, so no need to fake my age.
The new generation is very retarded...

I will never ever ever get rid of my voodoo3.
Still have the original box too! 3DFX will live forever!

I was using this bad boy up until about 1 year ago, done pretty well running most modern games on low-mid settings

geforce.com/whats-new/articles/voodoo-revived

I had 6600GT at the time.

>2006
>the beginning of GPU gaming era

>tfw I remember playing Half Life 2 on a Sapphire 9800 PRO
>tfw I remember playing STALKER, Crysis, Bioshock DX10 and Witcher on a Leadtek 8800GTX

two of the most legendary gpus in gaming

Dude, I was playing Unreal on a 166MHz Pentium MMX and a Voodoo 3 back in 1999. You probably weren't even born. I had already graduated college.

My first real 3D capable gpu was a Radeon 9600se. Before that I was too poor and relied on crappy software rendering. The Radeon was still shit and I bought a Nvidia 6800GT not too long after that.

Dude, I was born in '87, I remember playing Quake 3 Arena(not at launch) on a GeForce 2 MX, and I'm not even American.

are you me?

I remember playing BF2 on this bad boy with a Pentium 4

I got the 8800GT which was almost as good but in single slot.

Also, XFX were terrible.

Wasn't the fx5xxx series the one where Nvidia tried something new with their cards (can't remember the details) and it backfired spectacularly making that THE generation to avoid?

Those cards were loud as fuck.

i remember something like that, but not the specifics

anandtech.com/show/2365

Most people jumped in during this period because it's so good the performance and power efficiency

DX9a according to wikipedia, specifically Shader Model 2 stuff.

>Its weak performance in processing Shader Model 2 programs is caused by several factors. The NV3x design has less overall parallelism and calculation throughput than its competitors.[11] It is more difficult, compared to GeForce 6 and ATI Radeon R3x0, to achieve high efficiency with the architecture due to architectural weaknesses and a resulting heavy reliance on optimized pixel shader code. While the architecture was compliant overall with the DirectX 9 specification, it was optimized for performance with 16-bit shader code, which is less than the 24-bit minimum that the standard requires. When 32-bit shader code is used, the architecture's performance is severely hampered.[11] Proper instruction ordering and instruction composition of shader code is critical for making the most of the available computational resources.[11]

Basically Nvidia cheaped out on the bit width of the pipelines and the card architecture suffered as a result. And let us not forget the original nvidia screaming housefire, the FX5900

Ah yes that was it. I remember skipping the 5's and getting an AMD something or other with a pci-express motherboard and 6600gt from some computer show right when it came out. Shit was cash.

Probably an Athlon 64x2, IIRC that was right around the time when AMD was actually doing pretty good with their chips.

This is not Geforce256, son.

Yes and the FX5xxx series actually uses tech from 3dfx's unreleased GPU (they were acquired by nvidia).

you mean NV1?

GPUs are arguably older than the Geforce256, but they were the first to use to term.

Isn't the NV1 just an accelerator? I believe a GPU is different.

I'm too lazy right now to double check my facts.

na, NV1 was an all-in-one deal, 2D, 3D, sound and gamepad

Yeah we can go old school and talk about 3dfx. Glide was ahead of its time. Glquake ftw

GPU was just a marketing term Nvidia thought up and applied to the GeForce256 because it included hardware transform and lighting, but has stuck since then.

GPU is pretty much just synonymous with a discrete hardware accelerated video card in its most general usage.

This delicious card.

True story: Friend of mine had this card, upgraded to a different one, and gave me this one (I was broke and needed something better). I remember looking at it and "Prototype" and something else along the lines of "not for sale" were silkscreened onto the board. The BIOS on it was a version I couldn't find anywhere else... Maybe it was a pre-production card? Friend said he got it from some dude online.

Looks pretty badass. What is it

Glide was amazing considering how well it ran and how new the tech was. I never had any problems with 3dfx cards and or the Glide API. Everything always just worked. Nvidia and ATI (now AMD) at the time were a total shit show since they relied on the early DirectX library.

i wonder

glide was basically a subset of opengl, hence GLide, not entirely new

Duh. Filename. I'm a stupid phone poster

Could be an engineering sample which do show up on eBay a lot.

If the image title didn't give it away, its a Geforce FX 5800, affectionately nicknamed "Dustbuster" because of that fucking loud as shit fan.

Seriously, that fan ramped up to like 77 dBA (according to Anandtech).

I'm curious how the guy got it since the card had been brand new to the scene when my friend first got it.

Maybe not but it ran like hot shit in a Teflon commode. It took a while for the industry to catch up when those Philistines at Nvidia bought them out and ruined it all

Just got pic related form one guy at local forum. Only 2USD and it works like new.

3dfx was ruining themselves quite fine before nvidia bought them
it is sad the industry went to d3d instead of just going to full opengl though

>tfw overclocking cards of that AGP era were simple to overclock on Apple Macs back in the days: ATis could be overclocked by setting clocks using sliders in the official ATi Mac driver(!) Nowadays shitlets piss themselves over "metal" or "egpu" memery

Reeee etc.

maybe his dad worked at nintendo

Excuse the shit structure of that sentence, I hope you understand since I'm phoneposting.

I have an old 660 ti that's been sitting in a box for a few years. I have no idea what to do with it. I tried giving it to friends with shitty PC's but they are too dumb to figure out what to do with it. What do?

Do some distributed computing with it or stick it up on ebay. Could probably get a good $60-70 out of it.

8800 was the entry into the new era of GPUs where every upgrade since felt stale.
It was the first card to come with the new driver control panel out of the box, designed for Vista in mind, supporting D3D 10.
You can still roll a 8800 today and feel absolutely no difference outside of 3D gaming.

>8800 was the entry into the new era of GPUs where every upgrade since felt stale.
Yeah but isn't that more to do with games being made for consoles rather than being PC exclusive, instead of the 8800 being that good of a GPU. Which started around when the 8880 came out (360/PS3 era).

I was too poor for a Voodoo, but I remember when I got a GeForce 256 for UT99, good times. The composite video out was great for playing DivX AVIs on my CRT TV.

i think it's around that point (360/ps3/8800) that game graphics really started to hit diminishing returns
10 years ago, crysis came out, and to this day it's still a pretty nice looking game
10 years before crysis, in 1997, what was cutting edge? Quake II? a world apart graphics-wise from crysis
current games look better than crysis, yes, but not to THAT degree

shit, didn't know this existed. I used a 5200 and later a 6200 in my pc that had agp but not pci-e. didn't know anything stronger existed from nvidia

Does Crysis challenge modern cards at all?

Back when MW2 meant something good.

it basically marked the end of 3D graphics improvement

if i was to roughly categorize them;
1st gen: raycasting engines like wolf3d/doom
2nd gen: first "true" polygonal 3d engines like quake I, end of raycasting (duke3d)
3rd gen: 3d accellerators rapidly boost graphics around the turn of the millenium
4th gen: most games move away from exclusivity, coming out on ps3/360 first or at the same time as pc, progress has been slow and gradual ever since

Yes I do.

>32MB
Lucky you, I had a 16MB version of that SiS but with green pcb

I still have my two Voodoo 2 cards.

It ain't early enough unless overclocking your GPU means overclocking your entire expansion bus.

I had a 6800 GT, shit was fucking caSh

yes have one currently in my main system

Same. Took me so long to save up for a second one.

I was on a ATI Radeon 9500 pro until 2009.
I lived in a trailer park and my family was poor so i got all my parts from the garbage and hand me downs. ATI Radeon 9200
Was rocking a Athlon XP 1800+, 1.5gb ram, ATI Radeon 9500 pro, 3x 80gb HDDs. I started getting NEETBUX so i bought a Athlon XP 3200+ and a HD 3670 AGP and ran it a few more years. Good times.

literally the best GPU ever made

so what card i recent memory comes close to the bang for buck performance of the 8800? GTX 970 perhaps?

I was on a ATI Radeon 9500 pro until 2009.
I lived in a trailer park and my family was poor so i got all my parts from the garbage and hand me downs.
Was rocking a Athlon XP 1800+, 1.5gb ram, ATI Radeon 9500 pro, 3x 80gb HDDs. I started getting NEETBUX so i bought a Athlon XP 3200+ and a HD 3670 AGP and ran it a few more years. Good times.

Still got one in my P4

>GTX 970 perhaps?
Are you retarded?
The 970 was terrible value and everyone who bought it got memed by the vram issue.

The 7970/50 and R9 3/290/X are the current kings.

>it's a "millennials get nostalgic for 2007 gaming" thread
>they weren't even born yet when Ultima VII was released
>they didn't play Sierra games in the 80s on DOS machines

remember 8800 GTS/GTX were the first dual slot cards from nvidia and everyone talked about these big monstrosities
now every card is monstrous, it's the standard

>390
>literally 290 with 8GB vram for $100+
>value
kys poojet