/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Huawei Honor 9 official: 5.15" DCI-P3 screen, 12MP + 20MP dual camera, Kirin 960 chipset
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_9_official_515_dcip3_screen_12mp__20mp_dual_camera_kirin_960_chipset-news-25551.php

Samsung Galaxy S8 Active appears on Geekbench
gsmarena.com/galaxy_s8_active_appears_on_geekbench-news-25580.php

Pixel Launcher fully ported for non-rooted devices
gsmarena.com/pixel_launcher_fully_ported_for_nonrooted_devices-news-25572.php

Sources: Google's second-gen Pixel XL, muskie, has been cancelled - probably to be replaced by even larger phone
androidpolice.com/2017/06/12/sources-googles-second-gen-pixel-xl-muskie-has-been-cancelled-probably-to-be-replaced-by-even-larger-phone/

Bug report suggests that LG is manufacturing rumored Pixel XL successor ‘taimen’
9to5google.com/2017/06/12/lg-manufacturing-taimen-pixel-xl/

New Note 8 schematics reveal dual speakers, dual cameras, port alignment, and a centered fingerprint sensor
gsmarena.com/galaxy_note8_schematics_reveal_fingerprint_scanner_on_the_back-news-25553.php

Moto X4 with Snapdragon 660 and IP68 expected announced on june 30th
twitter.com/HeyAndri/status/873233618323230720

old

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-s/ion-development
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRxmu2jcMs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mavrdYZPg0Q
forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2016/09/04/samsung-note7-battery/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/class-action-lawsuit-targets-lg-over-legendary-g4-v10-bootloop-issues/
sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>deal for s8+ gives 170usd off
>make the order
>week later the order is cancelled

The rest of you swefags probably know my pain.

I might as well wait for the note 8 or mi mix 2 at this point...

>buying honor
it's doesnt even get lineageos

First time owning a smartphone.

>use adb to uninstall program
Does that mean it's forever gone now? Even when I factory reset it?

>recovery
I want to install one of those recovery programs, like CWM. I can't find any downloads though. Does it have to be specific for my phone or is there a generic one? Is there something better? Because now my phone doesn't have one of those menus when you hold down a specific key combination before turning it on.

>stock firmware
Someone told me that firmwares are usually huge, with everything. I could only find one for my phone (Xperia Ion) and it's around 600MB. Is that the "complete" deal? If I fuck something up, can I just install that one and go back to start?

>reddit

>use adb to uninstall program
afaik if you uninstall a system app it will be gone even after a factory reset. Reinstalling the stock ROM will bring it back though.

>recovery
It needs to be specific for your phone model. For newer phones TWRP is the best one to use, but for older phones only CWM might be available.

>stock firmware
600mb sounds about the right size. Usually (unless you fuck up very badly) going back to stock firmware fixes everything.

The XDA subforum for your model is a good resource for more info, guides, downloads etc.
forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-s/ion-development

I'm planning on upgrading my galaxy s4 soon. I was thinking about the moto g5 plus. Is that a good upgrade? I use my phone for web browsing, Clover, youtube, and music (Spotify, SoundCloud, and local). Having a reliable GPS is also important to me and good battery life would be a plus.

Or maybe a oneplus 3? I Dont do much in my phone so I fee like that'll be wasteful

Thanks.
There appears to be only one topic about recovery and they have both CWM and TWRP. Is there a downside to having both recoveries installed? Is it overkill?

What's a good small (sub 4.5 inch) phone these days? Bonus if its cheap. Was looking at iPhone SE but its expensive.

G5+ a is great choice.

Bigger hands.

can i literally just kill myself there isn't an app or an automation to disable the power button on my yotaphone that the screen goes dead as soon as you turn it off and you have to reboot. even if i wanted to use the power button to work the back screen it would fucking turn the color screen off anyway

Huawei 6P for $350 or Moto G5 Plus for $330?

G5 Plus.
6P has a ton of hardware problems. bootloops, random restarts, horrible battery life etc.

Moto G5 Plus, the 6P has terrible battery life and overheats thanks to the SD810, and it also has bootloop issues

Don't think it makes much difference either way

yup moto has better battery and they are actually known for being antenna producers and comparing this to a startup that china brought out only just recently is laughable

Have to say lads, the battery life on these 625 phones is insane

Why would you even want the s8 in the first place?

Wait for OP5, it will be announced in just 2 days.

Because its a great phone? Unlike the Chinese garbage that gets shilled here

Hi /spg/ is there a micro usb charger dock you'd recommend, sort of like pic related? I don't know why but searching for these things is a motherfucker.

Some simple chink shit is okay as long as it works.

Oh and this is for a Huawei P9 Lite 2017

>Great phone
And ridiculously overpriced
Completely locked down
With a shit UI

If you buy Samsung you might as well by an Apple

Anything made by Anker or Aukey with quick charging capability

I want the screen.

I'm one of those people that wants as little bezels as possible.

how is axon 7 battery life?

can the people at the phone store see your files if you bring them your old phone for a replacement?

Pretty good for a flagship, especially after the patches made to Nougat

Unless you lock the folder they're in with a PIN or fingerprint, yes if they know how to go through your phone which they do

ofc they can, so factory reset it before you give it away

so if I bring in a phone that's stuck in a boot loop to get a replacement they can see all my stuff? what if I had a password on my phone? can they still bypass it?

>Reply to Thread No.60880853Comment
how do I reset a phone that's stuck in a boot loop though? its an LG G4

>iPhone SE
VS
>Sony Xperia X Compact

Who is the "startup"? Huawei? They're a massive telecom company with deep ties to the Chinese state. Hardly a startup. And frankly, Moto is just a sub brand of Lenovo at this point, so either way you're getting chinkshit, even if the G5 is superior chinkshit.

Don't forget the weird aspect ratio or the laughably undersized battery.

Yes. Do a factory wipe if you are going to give away your phone.

boot into recovery if possible

adb start-server
adb shell
sudo rm -rf /sdcard/

More than likely if it's stuck in a bootloop they won't bother with looking for files

I don't think that guy knows that Huawei is the world's third largest smartphone manufacturer

ask /csg/

Agreed. Battery life on the RN4X is godlike. 1 day 15 hours since last charge and I've still got 21% left.

>swefag
Look up consumer laws, Mohammed. You must have rights similar to me

At least in Denmark, companies must honor pricing errors unless it is deemed that the customer must have known it was en error. And 170 usd off an s8+ is very much a plausible shock sale

And no. They cant disclaimer themselves out of the fucking law. Although everyone tries because most people dont know their rights

What's the chance I'll ever fix these small spots on my screen and what's the best method?
I've read UV lamps and dead pixel apps

What phone is that? Do the spots look different with other background colors?

Call customer supp... oh wait.... maybe if you go to the official reta... ohhh yeah.

Only if there was a lawsuit about this.
Only if that was a well known problem.

And this is why I have a ZTE and not a Xiaomi

It means absolutely nothing, they make a lot of garbage phones woo hoo
Foxconn is one of the largest manufacturers, fucking delusional chink retards

The spots are more like smudges, I suspect adhesive. It's a Xperia z3

Shut the fuck up you stupid burger, you have no idea what you're talking about, just because it doesn't exist is a Huge Global entity in your market doesn't mean it isn't, shut up and let the grown-ups talk

Only poor irrelevant pajeets consider it something worth owning
You can stop using this american site while I enjoy not having to live in a sardine can, being taxed to shit and unironically earning far less for doing the same job. The only people who have it good in that shithole continent of yours are lazy NEET cancer living off gibs
>yurop
LMAO

So my Samsung A5 I picked up in Barcelona 2 yrs ago and I've been using with a cracked and retractable screen has finally given out.

Gonna get a Samsung S8/S8+ but one thing I liked about the A5 was the size. Will the S8 feel much bigger? I like to keep these things in my back pocket. I assume the camera much also be better, but the A5 camera was pretty godly

iPhone SE is better overall but if you prefer android the Xperia is a fine phone too

I have the same on my Xperia z2...

It wasn't even a Xiaomi

Xz lineage os when?

And yes the smudges are light tint so they change with different colors.

what do you guys think of the keyone?
I'm in canada & usually buy my phones outright

Just go to a store and try it

Feeling sentimental today. Should I get the display fixed on my Nexus 4?

They did this to all people that bought the deal.

They will most likely get some big shit for it but us consumers won't get the deal again.

I've seen people say the S8 didn't feel bigger than say the S7. And yes the camera is a lot more improved.

Just get an S8 and thank the heavens you aren't some yuropoor resorting to buying trash because you're poor
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRxmu2jcMs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mavrdYZPg0Q

Why are you samshills so desperate to get people to buy your shitty phones at exorbitant prices, then have the audacity to call people poor because they know better than to fall for your schemes?

It might be great the first 6-12 months but after that time Touchjizz will bog down the system.

Samsung has one of the worst android skins. OnePlus has one of the best.

>samshill
He could buy many other reputable brands as well, that excludes chinkphones and the deluded autists who genuinely believe they're special and paying for anything but trash
Could buy Nokia, as long as he's not stupid enough and poverty desperate enough to buy xiaomi, huawei zuk or other trash
>i-i-im getting a deal for quality components guise pls believe me I smart

Better than paying 699+ on a fucking name brand and trusting a corporation not to fuck you over

Yeah, keep b-buying from reputable brands like Samsung
forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2016/09/04/samsung-note7-battery/

Or LG
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/class-action-lawsuit-targets-lg-over-legendary-g4-v10-bootloop-issues/

u mad

nice retort, shame you have nothing convincing to argue to the contrary

I bought three s7 edge in Walmart a month ago for 200 a pop and many others for them for 300. My gf got hers when it was new for 380 which is unironically what you imbeciles pay for shit quality chinkphones
There are decent options for the poor without resorting to chinkphones
The fact you imbeciles look at hardware specs on those trash phones and actually think you're getting the same quality shows how stupid you are
I'd rather have a mid spec device from a trusted brand but you're too stupid to even buy a decent prior gen phone with quality components
Also posting lg
lmfao

>Brand new S7 Edge
>$380
Wanna know how I know you're full of shit? Also, why do you have to sperg the fuck out over other people's decision regarding phone manufacturer? Only people who's job it is to push a brand go on a Laotion Rice Faing Forum and cuss out anons over what brand their phone is

Any reasonable upgrade from LG G5 SE? It doesnt have to be by much. I just want a bigger battery, can trade screen resolution if needed.

How is the G6 doing?

What country?

Poland

U cant install both, the recovery is going to replace the stock recovery so u can boot only one recovery from the recovery partition.

help a phone nub Sup Forums

I'm upgrading on vodafone UK - here are my options:

Galaxy A3
Huawei P9
Xperia XA1
Xperia X Compact
LG G5 SE (not sure the difference between this and non-SE?)
Huawei P10 Light

All of them are 'free' on the contract - so relative costs are no issue

I'm not a real phone power user- mainly for email, gps, web, IRC, camera but not too fussed. I have a passionate dislike for random shitty bloatware etc.

Battery life is important- must be able to last a full day!

I currently have an Xperia Z3 which I really like - the screen is really good (I think?), battery is nice and big and lasts for a while, the general interface + lack of too much bloat is nice as well. However, I would not want a phone that is any bigger than this.

I like the fact that the LG has a removable battery that I can change. I like the smaller size of the X compact but feel like I would miss the extra screen real-estate. I hear that the camera on the XA1 is really good. I've never owned a Huawei, but am not averse to doing so.

Any thoughts Sup Forumsents? What would you get?

Google, retard
I'm not going to spoon feed you
I don't care if you buy garbage chinkphones, you're not my family so why would I ever help you?
I actually like that you do it, gives me a reason to laugh at the idiots
If there was some massive clearance right now I wouldn't help you, I only care about getting mine
Idiots thinking you're savants getting some deal that only you special snowflakes can see
Enjoy your garbage chinkphone lmao

>all this projection
Your insecurity is hilarious, do us all a favor since you're not going to "help us", find the tallest tree you can outside and hang yourself from it you worthless piece of shit

how is the Oukitel K10000

Is the S8 still worth it?

My phone (Moto G 3) died unexpectently with no possible fix. I have no backup phone or a smartphone I can loan so I need a new phone ASAP.

I`ve been eying the S8 since it came out. I love how it looks, been holding it several times in the store and l can live with the UI.

How are the long term impressions? Worth 689€?

>Thinking I'd ever link sales here
>Poverty stricken chinkphone autist with meme projection reply
What's next? Ad hominem?
Kek

Old, get the K10000 Pro

crybaby

Get a Lenovo P2

lenovo p2, lg x power 2, moto g5 plus, zte axon 7

>keyone arriving Friday

yeah

Probably going to be the best phone of the whole year. Only Note 8 and maybe Pixel 2, if they don't fuck it up, will beat it.

>LG X Power 2
The only reason it lasts so long is the battery is 4,500 mAh, it needs to be that big to last with that shitty Mediakek SoC

Looking for purchasing advice for a travel phone to take abroad.

> Android
> Dual SIM Support.

>P2
This is the one my friend recommended, but I doubt I need such a large battery, I was looking for something 3200-4000 mAh. I also love the USB type C connector.

>X Power 2
I wouldnt want to go below FullHD, also microUSB.

>ZTE AXON 7
I like this a lot, seems pretty powerful. Any more info on this one?

What are you guys' thoughts on the Pixel?

Due a phone upgrade next month and on my current phone (Galaxy S6), the fast charging has stopped working, which is fucking annoying.

Other options I'm considering would be Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7. Leaning towards Pixel at the moment because of my familiarity with Android and I want a phone that actually gets system updates when they come out

Honestly, Just get the one of the Nexus phones. They're still good.

A3 (I assume it's the 2017 version): a well built, compact-size phone with a nice AMOLED display, great battery life and waterproofing. Performance and camera are average, and there's only 2GB and 16GB internal storage (there is a MicroSD slot to help with the low storage space). Touchwiz isn't for everyone, there's plenty of useful extra features but also more bloat than your average android skin.

Huawei P9: Huawei's last year's flagship and a great phone all around. Dual rear cameras take great still pictures but average video. EMUI is actually pretty nice for a android skin, lots of extra features without feeling too bloated.

Sony XA1: it indeed has a great camera. Battery life is better than you'd expect with only 2300mah, enough for one day's use but don't expect more than that. Performance is only average. Screen resolution is only 720p (below average for a 5" phone) with large top and bottom bezels. Sony's software is very close to stock with a few added features.

X Compact: A good mid range phone which doesn't really stand out in any way other than it's size. If compact size is your priority you can't go wrong with this phone.

LG G5 SE: There isn't really anything special with this phone. The modular concept didn't catch on so LG abandoned it with the G6. I'd say pass.

Huawei P10 Lite: a good midrange phone on its on rights, but a downgrade to the P9 in most regards. It is newer than the P9 though which might mean it might get supported with android updates for longer.

Moto G5

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Zuk genuinely outperforms Western brands in performance and benchmark tests, for 1/4 of the price.

I wouldn't recommend the Nexus phones, the 5X and 6P are nearing their EOL and they both have hardware issues (bootloops mainly)

I didn't know that. Leave it to Google to pull that shit.

Sprint 1 year free:

sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

>Moto E4+
Neat, wish LG would release PowerX2 in America already, it has better specs and lower price.

Can't you just buy the international models, or are the frequencies for GSM different too?

Either G5+ or Moto X4 if you can wait and want something more premium.