I wanna start making games, small stuff obviously since it would be a solo job

I wanna start making games, small stuff obviously since it would be a solo job.

What are the best languages to start?
I was thinking of java, but it probably ain't the best to start with, help a noob out Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

urho3d.github.io/
youtube.com/user/quill18creates
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Use COBOL my friend! It makes the best games!

C# + Unity

Never heard of it, gonna do a lil search,

Also, general tips for making games such as good programs/ youtube channels / websites/ forums?

Why unity?

Ive kinda tried it in school, but we had a shitty teacher who didnt taught us anything, she jjust handed us some texts with information and that was it

C++

Because it's probably the most complete gamengine package for the level of new programmer. There's a huge community for assistance, and for making "small stuff" you don't need to worry about some of the more advanced features Unity obfuscates.
You could also look into RPGMaker and GameMaker if you're really just starting to learn things like flow control, but you'll probably get bored quickly.

Tell me about your blideogame idea, user.

gamemaker, not even kidding

I was thinkijng of a 2D rpg game as my first game ever, so the idea is to gather experience and from there evolve.

Medieval genre

Cobol is a good start, but I would suggest Fortran instead

Sounds cute.
For a 2D game like that, however, you're probably going to actually find GameMaker more in line with what you want.
After you get fed up there, if you ever do, you could look at using a library instead and taking apart the things like rendering yourself. I'd probably start with XNA, maybe SDL2 later.
You should probably check out some communities around these libraries for more help, rather than Sup Forums. If you get any programming questions though feel free to pop back or ask for someone to help tutor.

Listen to this guy, start off like that (with some game engine) you can't write a game from scratch if you don't know any language of any idea at all what oop is. I started writing games in JavaScript at first as I found it easier to learn and used phaser game engine.

And is it easy to gey an hackable version of gamemaker?
Or is the trial enough for something simple?

Renpy+dirty anibe pictures. Make me a sex game faggot.

Does anyone play that shit?

Play with the trial for learning Gamemaker.
If your goal is making a game instead of learning to make a game, you're going to fail.
Then decide later on if you're going to buy it or use something else.

I want to make a lewd game at some point. What your lewd idea, user.

Why not PL/I?
It has the best parts of both.

Urho3D, hands down. It has both 2d and 2d support. urho3d.github.io/

Sry, just noticed he want to make a "small" game, I recomend assembly now.

Do you realize that you need to do much more than just programming?
You need to write a story, create a game world with playable characters in it, make animations, design sounds and possibly create some music, come up with gameplay elements that are somehow unique and also fun.
If you're just a programmer guy, you need to be aware of those things if you want to make a game.

But on topic:
C++ is the most common language for serious games.

Everything else except for the sound/music part would be much easier for me than programming, i personally have created stories for my future games, so i can easily make a new one, that i find good.

Web is nice and easy to get into. But go into C++ later on.

So you're saying you don't know anything about programming?

I am also interested in this topic. I wonder if anybody knows where pic related came from. That was a good thread.

>I want to make a lewd game at some point. What your lewd idea, user.

The usual, but improved upon on.
Dating sim/vn with mini/side games to advance ie; integrating old neo geo type games like top down shooters, bobble bobble. Even adding old arcade nude photo puzzles as mini games would make fuck sims more interesting these days. Combine this with top notch waifu bait, and you can easily sell a lot for little work.

That's a pretty good idea.
Except I am going to inject my horrible unwanted fetishes into it and no one will want it.

>both 2d and 2d
Wow

>Put your fetishes into it
>Rich faggots with the same fetishes support you through pantreon so you can keep pumping out content
You would be surprised how lucrative it is, you don't even have to be good at programming or art at all

Sorry, brain skipped, 3d and 2d.

>COBOL
>Fortran

Stop tempting me, user. I want to do more with my career than develop an [spoiler]asphyxiation, drowning, and guro simulator[/spoiler]

I programmed some lines but thats about it, so i dont consider that i know

I make games as a hobbyist.

The hardest part about making games is:

- deciding what the mechanics are going to be and the end objective
- keeping on track, regularly adding and not getting stuck in an endless refactor or simply abandoning the project
- tracking issues
- creating assets (if you're a programmer)

The language itself doesn't matter. Choose Java, Python, JS, C# or C++ - what matters is that you can actually finish making games that you start.

I can confirm too that the hardest thing is keeping yourself on track, that cool idea you thought you had will become numb as you spend several hours into the project making you lose interest and even perspective of what might be fun or not

You've to develop a special side of autism to just keep going at it even if you don't want to

I'm thinking of shitting one out soon myself just for fun, and I will shoehorn my preferences. Good music, and attractive art will be a hurdle that I'll most likely outsource for, but I think it's doable.

Not OP but what about godot?

Use Excel for your game engine.

Assembly

I hear it's fun, and you can do a lot with it.
Unstable new kid on the block, meaning there might not be as big a community or help resource but the people who use it seem pretty pleased with it. You'll have to play around in it and tell me. It really shouldn't take more than a week of fooking around for you to know if you enjoy a framework.

Can I use straight C in unity?

>the language doesn't matter
I'm sure it does matter, a lot. What libraries and support the language has determines how difficult it is to make a game.

You also have to learn so much to even get off the ground. Sometimes games give you an A-B objective but it turns out that B wants you to do C-D and so on. Making games is like that times 1000.

Want to go 3D? better learn modelling, then texturing, then animation.

Want to go 2D? Better learn Sprite Art.

Want AI? Physics? Networking? High Performance?

Some of these topics can take 6 months or more for a beginner to learn. Small games can take years for a novice to create.

>Does anyone play that shit?

Sure, and they can actually be fun.

Can we see any of ur games?

Right, but the point I was making was that someone that's truly, totally committed to making a game should be able to start anywhere and learn their way to the right toolset.

I started prototyping a game in Java because Java is easy. I switched to C++ for performance and because openGL is a bit simpler in an unmanaged language and then realised that I didn't need that kind of performance and I would like people to be able to drop in from links online so I switched to JS. I hate JS but it was the right tool for the job.

Why would you want to do that?

i'm too familiar with C and C# is nothing like C or C++

Watch this space. I have a few things that I'm migrating to JS so that people in the /dpt/ can drop in to them. I'll show them when they're polished.

If you want to see lots of examples of good and achievable minigames check out game jams like ludum dare.

>I wanna start making games, small stuff obviously since it would be a solo job.

you won't, because you need assets, and if you use free assets your games are going to be shit and if you use paid assets, that's literally just an asset flip like Digital Homicide

Now, I'm presuming that you can't draw or 3d model since you're on Sup Forums.

You can't. Unity core is written in a mono fork they're still trying to bring up to NET Standard 1.3, so it's a little iffy even calling other C/C++ code from C# like you usually can.
Maybe there's some real underground bindings out there, but I couldn't see any from a quick search.

Damn it, on to C# it is, thanks user

What are good boards and sites you visit? I'm having a hard time finding tutorial info for everything from modeling to unity (most of it is out of date)

I work quite extensively in both languages. Do you want a contact for questions or are you just going to give it a swing?

Use Flash

Leave an email friend. I also work in both languages.

Youtube. I learned everything from years of Youtube, but it really depends on what you're trying to learn. A lot of the blender tutorials on Youtube are good.

Also gonna recommend Assembley, I've personaly made Snake and TicTacToe on it before I ditched it. Very simple and great fun. Nothing quite beats the feeling of running your code on a debugger and being able to see all the bits and bytes change according to you code.

youtube.com/user/quill18creates

Flash is dead use phaser

C
The less object oriented the better