/wdg/ Web Development General

>implying anyone here actually makes money with web dev

>old thread
>Discord / IRC
discord.gg/wdg
#Sup Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Everything you learn will have these as their base.
The Mozilla Developer Network offers a good intro (no matter your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web

>Online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Further reading/viewing
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

>Code challenges
codewars.com/
hackerrank.com/
codefights.com/

>Useful resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
libraries.io/ - Discover and keep track of open source libraries, modules and frameworks
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Useful Youtube channels
youtube.com/derekbanas
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/user/shiffman - coding train

>cheap VPS hosting in most western locations
digitalocean.com/
vultr.com/
linode.com/
scaleway.com/
heroku.com/

an in-depth comparison of hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

learnxinyminutes.com/docs/javascript/
strawpoll.me/13184390
education.github.com/pack
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_web_hosting_services
gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/306721/what-is-radial-blur
hanshillen.github.io/jqtest
coligo.io/building-a-mobile-app-with-cordova-vuejs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>implying anyone here actually makes money with web dev

Fucking hell, I want to learn this in order to drop my shitty job!

Your implications are contradictory.

Best resources to learn D3.js? If you have knowledge on D3, how did you started?

Interview for second web dev job coming up.

They seem desperate.

If they don't hire me after driving for 3 hours I'm going to be sad.

Been making money with web dev for ten years and am so sick of it. At this point I just want to go grow vegetables in the countryside

I work at insect mass rearing.

Do you want to switch places?

let us know how it went, user! What questions did they ask you? What were the job requirements?

there's a tutorial on d3js website.
if it's not enough buy an o'reilly book.

how much should a JS programmer make a year? ballpark figure, redpill me

Hey guys. I have some basic experience with JS and was looking to get into Ruby. Are there any starter books you think would be helpful?

Depends where you live and level of responsibility. Non-code monkeys in the valley make +$100k/yr

Job requirements are exactly what I know. My first time seeing a listing where I had 100% of the list. I didn't even find them, the CEO hunted my ass down himself.

A lot better than my current gig where they said "You only need PHP" then launched me into full-stack dev and project lead of 3 clients for 20 an hour.

For questions they just wanted to see a code sample and wanted to know how long it would take to relocate.

30-40 starting, 50-70 mid level, 80-140 senior level.

possible to get a remote entry level job without CS degree?

How do I create this widgets like virtual keyboards used by banks on my html?

Use html/css to create the buttons, then use JS to add the functionality to them.

>remote
Damn near impossible to get remote jobs, but you might be one of the lucky ones.

But you can get a job in web dev without a degree. All you need is a strong portfolio and work experience and you will have a decent shot at it.

>near impossible

Why?

Not that user.

With remote jobs you're competing with everyone right across the country, and in some cases the world (although US based companies usually only employ Americans). If you live outside the US and applying for US based remote jobs you're fucked.

Applying to jobs close to you is your best bet. But still go for the remote ones if you wish.

Typescript vs elm?

What is the recommended way to learn JavaScript? I'm extremely comfortable in C so don't need to know the bare basics, but I'm not familiar with OOP or how to use languages for web dev purposes.

That doesn't make any sense but thanks for trying.

You don't need to learn OOP. It can help, but no necessity. Just jump right into JS. It might piss you off at first, or it'll feel really nice for a change to not have to define types.

If you just can't deal with not having types, you get Typescript and enjoy much better compile time checking.

> compile time
In web dev?

Any recommended resources or are the "You Don't Know JS" books from the OP good?

Not him but purely remote jobs are rare, expect high qualification and have big competition. Also distance will still matter because timezone and some sort of face-to-face meeting is expected. Best way is to get normal job and then ask for a chance to work remotely.

Completely different, no?

JS syntax crashcourse
learnxinyminutes.com/docs/javascript/
"You Don't Know JS" is good, but probably not very useful, when you want to get to know the language first.

And like said, jump right in.
You can use the chrome dev console to experiment.
Just think of something and check the MDN or google for hints.

>compile time
JavaScript is often "transpiled"
You might use an alternative syntax like TypeScript or include new JS features in your code, that are then transpiled to to make them backwards compatible for older browsers.
Don't worry about that right now though.

Coming from C background also I read "You don't know JS" and "Eloquent Javascript"
Solved a bunch of problems on hackerrank and codewars in js after that

I tried Eloquent JS once and absolutely hated it. It's a horrible introduction unless you're good at shittily explained maths.

Wait..

With React, do I additionally need to install MobX to get the same automatic state/data reactivity, that I have with Vue by default?

How is that not part of the React core? It's called "React" ffs

Can the same padding be used for multiple elements? I'm trying to make a background that goes over an h1 and img element but i'm having trouble figuring it out

>I'm trying to make a background that goes over an h1 and img element but i'm having trouble figuring it out
sounds like you should wrap those 2 in another div and apply the background to that

haha thanks it worked

Hint:

shouldComponentUpdate: {
// this.setstate = blabla...
}

Don't wana spoil much because the pajeets lurking in this thread would steal the wisdom and charge clients for .00001 cents/hour

what are you working on guise?
post your projects/ in-progress or whatever.
I wanna get some inspiration

thank for the tip sir ill make good use of it

Elm. Anything complex enough to warrant more than a small .js file is worth bringing the big guns. And that's Elm. TypeScript is chock-full of gotchas and doesn't go far enough in its type system.

>this.setstate()
yeah, I do that in the code, but I am just surprised, that that extra step is necessary.
With Vue I modify the data directly and components update as necessary.
That's what MobX enables you to do with its observables, right?

Why does WordPress echo things right into the HTML when I'm in debug mode? Isn't that what the log file is for?

>tfw recent wagecuck and have to learn spring

on an unrelated note what does Sup Forums think of clojure?

I don't understand the last slide what is he doing painting over the screen?

alright, let's settle this once and for all

>What's your main webdev language?
>strawpoll.me/13184390

instead of turning off your computer, just paint the monitor black

Do you have to...

fix a lot of bugs?

should have combined the 3 JS choices into just Node.js
Whats vanilla doing in a list of backend languages?

>what does Sup Forums think of clojure

Dynamically typed languages are worthless.

is there a name for that 'going fast' look in the OP image? Is there a way to do it in GIMP?

>what does Sup Forums think

Nobody worth their weight in salt would care what these people think. Formulate your own opinion of it and apply it accordingly.

Are there free domains?

also for students: education.github.com/pack

There are plenty 3rd level domains, e.g. yourusername.github.io, or something.herokuapp.com

There are a few top level domains that allow free registration of 2nd level domains, like .tk, .ml, and few others. You can get those at freenom.com

i just want a basic ass static website with a specific domain name. if i get a .com domain through google domains, can i make a google site for free (except for the $12 a year domain fee), is that how it works?

i get that it has these limitations:
>No open use of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or JavaScript. JavaScript can be used within the confines of an embedded gadget or the HTML box. Inline CSS can be used within the webpage content area.
>Limited use of HTML coding. HTML is checked and modified when saved, Javascript is made safe with Caja. CSS cannot be incorporated in the theme templates; however, inline CSS can be used within the webpage content area.

but if i just want a super basic static website, can i avoid paying a monthly fee for hosting and just use google sites or something?

also
>Monthly bandwidth
>1 GB/day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_web_hosting_services

what happens if i exceed the bandwidth limit? like what if i get 1000-10000 visitors who use 100-1000 kB of bandwidth each? is there adequate ddos protection?

>Google Sites is an app that's part of Google's Apps for Work.

>Other apps that are included are Gmail, Hangouts, Google+, Docs, Sheets and more. Apps for Work offers a free trial for those who wish to check it out, after which they'll be charged $5 a month or $10 a month for unlimited storage and access to the Vault feature.

wow what a fucking scam. this must be why they avoid giving you any sort of pricing information or even the most basic information on the google sites page. same deal with microsoft azure. they're just trying to rip you off. might as well pay for a real web host at that price.

The best is their speech recognition.

The rate you're charged is more than ads can cover by several times.

You would be able to make a 15 second speech query every 10 viewers.

So long for making a dog that learns their name through repetitive speech.

might be not necessarily web related, but any of you know how to start chrome such that one window opens on one monitor and one opens on another?

It's a motion blur, and it's under Filters in GIMP.

You can just do a GitHub pages site if you want. That allows for full custom HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and you can associate your own domain with it.

Personally, I have a static site that I host in Amazon S3, and the free tier is pretty good, with not too much more for additional traffic.

yeah i'm probably going to do a github pages site, thanks

fucking quantum mechanics bullshit javascript changes the output of all log statements when I add one additional log statement

wait, I guess it's just because I made edits to the source, and it's the fact that it's reparsing the file rather than pulling from a cache that makes it different.

gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/306721/what-is-radial-blur

Anyone know what the last number on the express.js http access log represents?

GET /uploads/test 200 7.346 ms - 818199

What is the 818199 representing?

Response content size.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking since it's consistent but it doesn't display for every request so that confused me. Any idea what the conditions must be for it to display?

Not empty response? It should only count body so things like redirects are not shown.

I just followed instructions from getbootstrap to install it. how can i see if its working properly? I'm not even sure what it installed.

when you download a framework what are you downloading exactly?

Bootstrap are just plain css and js files to be imported on your html.

a framework is just a bunch of auxiliary files that give structure and automatically add the boilerplate to your project, I guess what exactly depends on the framework. For instance, in Python you could use Django, Flask, Pyramid, Bottle, all frameworks which do more or less the same, but all with varying performance and size.

anyone know a good template for hosting anime on my site? nothing like kissanime or whatever, just something small you feel.

Thanks.

I've found this and it's fricking awesome just going to share:

hanshillen.github.io/jqtest

alright smart guy, how do I get a good remote front end job while smelling like shit due to horrific ibs

Which is the better option in developing and maintaining a portfolio - through GitHub or through a domain of your own?

>ibs

wtf is that? Also, I'm actually pretty dumb. And a good remote job, lol, just keep your fingers crossed and apply everywhere. Best of luck, buddy

whynotboth.jpg

I met people who are scared about visiting custom domains

use github pages

just random people or someone that specifically wanted to see your portfolio?

Noob question here.
I've worked on several projects but I want to create my own right now and I don't know how to make the first step.
In my case, I want to build an android app that I'll make thanks to Vue.js and Spring.
So how do I fuse them in one project I can work in?
'm following this tutorial: coligo.io/building-a-mobile-app-with-cordova-vuejs/
But how do I do to add Spring to that?

Sorry if it's a retarded question.

>look at job postings in your area to see what languages you should study
>in a pretty decent mid sized tech city (portland)
>literally no junior dev postings

pretty epic

You should still apply. It won't hurt to send your resume anyway and show that you're motivated. Companies always want the more experienced candidate but they won't spit on a motivated beginner with skills.

Job postings tend to distort reality a lot, of course every company wants a jack of literally all trades with a million years of experience in every field for a $1/h preferably, that's just how business works I guess.

Don't let that picture scare you though, tech companies need people and a lot of them need them 24/7. Put your fear and uncertainty away and just like send your nice and clean portfolios, resumes, tell them that you can do this $thing1 and that $thing2, you are young, handsome and motivated.

vue.js is used to make client-side (html/css/js) web applications (which can run on web view on a mobile phone and be delivered as mobile apps)
spring is a framework for applications targeting the java platform or the android runtime
there isn't really any way to combine them that would make any sense

Well I'm currently working on a project that does use Spring and Vue.Js. I guess adding vue.js is nothing more than adding the corrects lines in the index.html file.
But it's the Spring and android part that I don't know about.

>Well I'm currently working on a project that does use Spring and Vue.Js.
you mean an android project that runs both spring and vue on the client-side?

Nah it's a website for the company I work in. A test viewer. Vuejs is used for the front-end while the back-end use java (spring)

so that's really 2 separate parts. I though he meant somehow combining them on the client-side in android

Okay so I'm trying to learn how to use Bootstrap. I'm also new to programming in general. I want to know what I should do. I have Bootstrap up and running. If I want to make some edits on the styling, should I make a copy of the bootstrap file and move it to the directory where I have my project files or should I simply create a different style sheet and link booth the Bootstrap files and the new css file to my html file?

Hope I made sense.

to be clear, bootstrap and front end development is not programming. It's front end developing. HTML and CSS are mark up languages. Not technically programming. It's best to have your own .css file where you do custom stuff

bootstrap.js
bootstrap.css
mystyles.css

something like that. Don't edit the bootstrap files

I need to create a simple yet nice looking site appealing to normies - no special features, it would be just a reference site of how to do what, no dynamic content, no user input, just smooth animations.

I should use bootstrap, right? I hate WD, never made a site in my life besides basic shit in html in school. I program in python and C.
Got two books "Learning bootstrap 4" and "Bootstrap site blueprints" both by Matt Lambert. The point is I don't want to touch any other framework, no fucking js, I don't need it, I don't want to vomit.

Or am I mistaken and I would have to use some shit like node or angular anyway? Maybe I should just stick to youtube tutorials tbqh.

yea yea i know. i just said programming because I didn't think it mattered. guess it does.

why not just like shit up a wordpress site fast
check if your idea works (financially or otherwise)
then rewrite from scratch using cool shit to feel better about yourself

you'll probably need a bit of jquery to control animations, but that's all

specify what you mean exactly, when you talk about smooth animations.

Lots of stuff you can do with CSS alone, though if you want elements entering the page from left&right as you scroll for example, then some Bootstrap or jQuery function will really be the "easiest" way, if you don't want to write that yourself.

I want Parallax effect but with inconsistent moving speed:
one scrolls down -> text is in the fixed position -> simple clipart objects move on the side -> then paragraph is over and it goes to the next text block and new clipart objects.

Nah I am really commited to what I am going to do, even though I hate the process.

reeee

I'm in the process of learning web dev by practicing. Should I avoid bootstrap or is it standard to use it?

Don't learn with it, it is merely a shortcut.

oh man, that's quite a bit, especially since you said you don't like webdev at all.
Not really "simple" anymore.

For me personally that kind of design is probably more bothersome, than including some features with JS.
Especially since it doesn't add any actual functionality, but just visual "fluff". But that's what people pay attention to....

you can use Bootstrap or Foundation or Bulma or any other CSS framework, but you should also know how to style things yourself and not be depended on them.
See them more like a shortcut, that give you a quick consistent style.
Only exception for me are (flex)grids.
Not interested in reinventing the wheel, so I always either use Bulmas or Foundations grid, even if I don't need anything else from them.

yea just trying to get through the html and css phase quickly to focus on learning the mern stack.

As someone who is into algorithms and mainly uses C++, is it worth getting right into web development?
I mainly just like making neat looking webpages but is it worth diving deeper past things like bootstrap/generic javascript animations?

Well, which books may you suggest then to learn how to achieve such an animation? Does not have to be "appearing outta fog", maybe just from one side, and then sliding behind top side when scrolling bottom and vice versa. I guess, that would be the only animation on the site.