/tpg/ - ThinkPad General thread

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W), Dell Latitude (E6440 and older) or ThinkPad T, X, W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-X240-i5-4300U-1-90GHz-8GB-120GB-SSD-WIFI-WIN-10-DOCK-ref-28-/382126679048?hash=item58f8866408:g:4l0AAOSwMvtZP~97
notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-7820HQ-Notebook-Processor.189820.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Intel-Xeon-E3-1535M-v6-professional-laptop-CPU.189815.0.html
youtu.be/ZUs8oKa7fqw
ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook Pro 13-Inch Retina Display Early 2015 Battery Replacement/45137
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X1-Carbon-i5-5200U-4-GB-RAM-180-GB-SSD-Full-HD-Win-10-/272678186680?hash=item3f7ce2eeb8:g:h2gAAOSw8lpZHsZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is the w530 a good choice?

Is there a way to get a better color calibration at t420 screen? I just put it side-by-side with a lower 1360x768 screen (The t420 got a 1600x900 one) both running the full hd video of the new spider-man game.

Even with a better resolution, the t420 is just destroyed. The vibrant colors in this acer notebook allow me to see much more detail, even in a lower res.

Is there anything to make this better? Right now it's kinda obnoxious.

yes, if you can live with such gigantic screen and it's weight
AFAIK no. You can disable PWM to make it a little better, but it has nothing to do with colors.

seller says they don't do returns and may replace accessories at will when shipping.
will ebay basically take the financial hit if they send me a laptop that:
isn't exactly as in the pic(has damage that wasn't shown in the photos or mentioned)
has a strange noise or some other but works

What is up with think fans?

>Turn on thinkpad
>Use for 5 minutes
>Fans turn on
>Loud as fuck
>Don't turn back off

What the fuck is this shit. Is it faulty?

what's the temperature when it happens?
do you have tpfancontrol installed?

The temperature is fucking hot. If I put my arm close to the fan it feels like it's burning

No I don't but I'll install it later.

*blocks your path*

I found an X220 with an i7 and IPS screen on eBay for $300. Is that a reasonable price?

>that print screen button
GOD DAMNIT WHAT THE FUCK LELNOVO

Honestly, fuck off and with your shitty meme.

>tripfagging the OP

I had to show filtered posts you fucking retard. You trying to kill the general?

REVERE IT, PRAISE IT

HAIL THE

2 5 7 0 P
P

no 150 tops

no

Why not?

to big and bulky

Is there any place I can buy replacement covers for the screw holes on my bezel?

Pic related.

Yes. several eBay sellers offer them.

how ironic. hp shill made a tpg thread

Shill free version over here.

>only one person likes the 2570p
mmm

X1 carbon? Yay or nay?
It's discounted at 25% but it's still like 100 bucks more expensive than the xps 13 so idk what to do.

*teleports under you with a screwdriver*
*replaces you with a classic keyboard*
Pssh nothing personal kid

Maybe he's a big guy

Choke on a dick you faggot
You did this another time too
Wait for the fucking thread to die

It's nice
If the milspec durability and trackpoint don't interest you that much I don't see why you'd take it over a cheaper as good option

mods delete the other thread?
what the fuck does "disengaging the fan" mean then?

new shill free thread. Report this one.

the durability does interest me because I paid like $800 for my ideapad y580 and it's shit durability wise, pretty much felt like a dead brick a year after buying it.
I want something that will last me at least 3 years and be good enough to browse/program/take notes.
I have a desktop that I plan to use as my main pc too.

if it's hot then it's normal for the fans to kick on full blast...

user problem, not thinkpad problem

you have programs running sucking up 100% cpu and generating the heat

He should still install tpfancontrol and post thermals.

wrong thread, this is the HP general, read the OP.

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W)

ThinkPad general is here

Fuck off faggot
Go back to your own shit thread

but user... we ARE in the shit thread.

>but user I'm an autist who blindly hates shit
Seriously back to your own thread
Go talk about how hp is ran by pajeets or something since you're so retarded that you'd make another thread after the other shit one got 404d

>or ThinkPad T, X, W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

fuck off autist, this the older thread

A friend of mine is selling me the i7-3920XM model for 500 bucks, it's in pretty good condition, 16gb of ram and 500gb HDD.

you will need to get an SSD for it

also it's a 6 lbs laptop, it's a workstation meant to be a desktop replacement

Any recommendations for cheap 2x4GB ddr3 sodimns? Got a X200, it unofficially supports 8GB but is picky with what goes in.

they only take either 1r or 2r ram (forget which)
figure out what which that is then literally the cheapest ram you can find

too expensive imo

samsung works on everything, at least in my experience

Based on reviews 2r works but it has to be low density(???). Quite old info though so the rams aren't sold anymore.

Yeah saw someone who got theirs to work, that model isn't sold anymore but might go with a newer iteration.

Seems a bit high user. It does sound like a really config though

doesn't even have a ssd

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-X240-i5-4300U-1-90GHz-8GB-120GB-SSD-WIFI-WIN-10-DOCK-ref-28-/382126679048?hash=item58f8866408:g:4l0AAOSwMvtZP~97

Should I?

Bah, since two OPs just made some serious clusterfuck I just pinned both threads.

A Dell is fine, too.

T530
1080p
i7 3520M
Nvidia GPU
16GB RAM
New 9 cell battery
Screen calibrator @ palm rest (?)

In very good condition for 280 dollars.
Should I buy this or keep saving up for a W530?

Just got an e6230 for 250 cad (about 190 usd); how'd I do? It's got a i5-3340M, a 320gig hdd, and 4 gigs of ram (put an extra 2 gig stick in there, now I have 6).

I'd say go for it, unless you need the extra GPU power from the W530, but you can buy that T530 then save for a W530 motherboard and put it in.

>x240
avoid like the plague

this looks like a good deal

tho you could try to get a quadcore later

Are the new Lenovo ThinkPads worth it? Looking for a workstation grade laptop for graphical design and 3D shit with emphasis on mobility, budget is up to $2k but I'd rather spend in the mid thousand range. My friend is telling me to get the Gigabyte Aero 14 but the trackpad looks shit and I am not going to carry peripherals when my emphasis is mobility. I just really like using the clit desu

If you can accept new keyboard and ULV trash then it should be fine.
>workstation grade laptop
t470p or p50/p70

It means it's spinning at 100%

Dude, most user reviews on lenovo's US website are positive. If you like the brand (Thinkpad) you know what to expect.

If your emphasis is graphical design and 3d shit, maybe a fully tuned t470p could work for you. It has an kaby-lake quad-core, nvidia graphics shit and all, while being more mobile than the p51.

I think it would fit your needs better, considering graphical and 3d shit at least.

Thanks for the recs brehs. Not a requirement, but would I be able to play an occasional game on medium to high specs on any of these?

I've only used the IBM ThinkPads, so I didn't know what to expect with the new Lenovo ownership

No way to overcome ULV? New keyboards are chiclet, right?

Just to add.

T470p specs:

System component

Intel Core i7-7820HQ Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.90GHz)
14" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS, anti-glare, non-touch
32GB(16+16) DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB GDRR5
1 TB Solid State Drive OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe
ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh)
14.0" WQHD(2560x1440) IPS Anti-Glare Display, No touch, WLAN, WWAN, Paint

For 1800's bucks.

Meanwhile, p51:

System component

Intel Core i7-7820HQ Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.90GHz)
Windows 10 Pro 64 English
15.6" FHD (1920x1080), anti-glare, IPS
32GB(16+16) DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
NVIDIA Quadro M1200 4GB GDDR5
512GB SSD PCIe TLC OPAL2
6 Cell Li-Polymer Battery, 90Wh

You could expend a bit more and get a Xeon on the p51 tho.

The main thing here, is mobility vs upgrades.

If you get the most basic p51 with a xeon E3 1535M processor, costing $2175,20, you can over the years upgrade a machine that will probably outlast anything you could think of buying. p51 can handle up to 64 gigs of RAM, lots of hard drive options, not even counting M.2 slots. The definitive portable desktop, if you ask me.

But if you just want a simple machine to do it's job, and have mobility too, the t470p will serve you well too. It''s not like the 7820HQq would leave you wanting for more.

Hey, both the 7820HQ and the xeon 1535M ARE NOT ULV, each consuming 45W

Take your time:
notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-7820HQ-Notebook-Processor.189820.0.html

notebookcheck.net/Intel-Xeon-E3-1535M-v6-professional-laptop-CPU.189815.0.html

The P51 has a 4k screen option.

Im trying to maintain his budget of 2k.

Just seemed a bit unfair to mention the T470p's top screen option against the P51's most basic. It's only 2.2k with the 4k configuration, applying the EPP discount in OP should get it within budget.

youtu.be/ZUs8oKa7fqw

>gaming laptops aren't worth it
Are you sure, /tpg/?

piss off

is there somewhere I can get an x200 keyboard for less than 40 usd?

Is the t570 just the 15.6 inch version of the t470?

yes

my 13 inch retina MacBook pro 2014 got stolen and I am going through homeowners insurance to get the $1500 that my aunt graciously paid for it to help me through college

I really want to still have a laptop that is running macos and I also want kaby lake but I don't really like the new MacBook pros because I'm gonna need usb c adapters out the ass and it costs another $300 out of my own pocket just to get 4 usb c ports instead of 2 and a touch bar

I just really love how all the programs I use are more stable in macos and how intuitive it is when using multi finger gestures on a trackpad......plus I already have a windows computer and gnu is counterproductive for the tasks that I need to perform on a daily basis

I hear chinkpads are widely supported in the hackintosh community

is there support available or at least confirmed for the T470s to run Sierra and later on High Sierra or should I even bother with chinkpad hackbooks?

get a used one

just get a second had macbook

>business laptops thread
>posting consumer trash

no

Seems okay but the 4th Gen ulvs are a bit underpowered

Yes we are sure now get gaymur shit out of my face
It's consumer shit and it doesn't deserve to be here

Yes
Yes?

That silver x1 carbon is still an abomination but it's also slowly growing on me

Also don't bother, you seem very into macs and os x. A hackintosh system won't do do you any justice. Either go used or save up 300 more

x230 yay or nay?

Just drop the 5% performance increase for a 4k screen. Honestly it's a better allocation of your budget

Those aren't ULV options though

depends

maybe, all depends on what price and you use it for

How good are the batteries though?

My 6 year old Acer has only a sixth of his initial capacity. But that is not a problem, because the battery can be easily swapped.
When the same happens with a macbook, its basically worthless.

Depending on the model it's around a 10 minute process.

Ok, my bad. I thought every Macbook has a battery like the ones in the 12" model.

Those are glorified ipads.
For macbook pros it it doesn't like much of an easy swap but nothing made by apple really is anyway. Here's an ifixit guide for reference
ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook Pro 13-Inch Retina Display Early 2015 Battery Replacement/45137
As far as I understand
-take off the bottom panel
-unplug the battery
-unplug the speakers (this probably was done to give you a wider working area but I can't tell from ifixit's retarded camera angles though I think you can skip this bit)
-unplug trackpad
-skip all of ifixits bullshit on removing the battery (like what the fuck is all that solvent shit and heater for. Just use a hair dryer you dirty fucking jews)
-heat up the battery but not too much
-take a card of some sorts and pry off
-install new battery and put everything back together
Probably not a 10 but a 15 20 minute process depending on how good you are at prying off electronics

I think I had an autism moment for a second there
Sorry for the typos at the beginning I have a hard time organizing my thoughts

Depends what you need it for. I got one off ebay and it's pretty good. Comes with a sketchy ass bloated Win7 so I'd dban it ASAP.

Thanks, so it really is much easier than i thought.

The T530 uses the same chasis/body as the W530?

Since HP laptops are being shilled.
why the thread is still called /tpg/?

What's an alright price for an X230 or T430 w 4gb and no hdd (europe)?

the 2570p is the superior ultraportable

Why are you fags making such a big deal out of this
/tpg/ is for all business grade laptops
Plus there's only like 3 hp posts here you dipshit

That 4 drive mod seems cool desu

>4 drives
What?

2570p can take 4 drives no? One in original sata bay, one in the caddy, one msata by soldering on a msata slot to the unused USB 3 headers and one last msata by soldering another slot through the esata making for a total of 4 drives or something like that. I vaguely remember something like that in one of 2570p posts

Why do you need 4 drives for something that's designed with portability in mind?

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X1-Carbon-i5-5200U-4-GB-RAM-180-GB-SSD-Full-HD-Win-10-/272678186680?hash=item3f7ce2eeb8:g:h2gAAOSw8lpZHsZY

This looks like a good deal. Although the specs are the lowest possible.

Why would you need a quad core with portability in mind? Because it's fucking neat. If I want some autismo number of drives and a quad core in my ultraportable workstation why shouldn't I?
Also isn't having excessive features the whole point of owning a 2570p?