Ultimate PC

So has anyone here got this set-up?

Linux host, windows virtual machine, with a GPU passed through, so that you can play games on the windows PC, while taking full advantage of the Linux host.

I'm looking at building a system that supports it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q24i8QFFLP4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You need two GPUs and two screens (unless you switch input each time you want to check messages.

Honestly, its not worth it. You end up using applications in Windows when they have better UIs. Then you might as well use a Linux VM.

I have heard others thinking and desiring this same setup.
The idea is you still have access to Windows 10 and be up-to-date for the purposes of games and other programs that are Windows dependent; like Adobe. Then use Linux and Linux-based web browsers and such. Hope is doing so subverts Microsoft's telemetry and data-collection.

At that point you might as well just build a dedicated gaymin pc. it's not like you need that gpu in loonix anyway

Having windows in a vm, you contain more control over it. Also able to do mim actions to prevent network access in ways you dislike.

the main reason i want to try it. Has the ryzen update actually fixed the issues with pass through?

You would need the latest AGESA updates, but not all manufacturers offer those as BIOS updates yet so just wait (tm)

fugg how long is the estimated wait on this shit? I mistakenly fell for the 4770k meme and would like to side grade to an r5 or an r7 just to do this

Not long, unless you need virtualization right the fuck now, go ahead and get one. They might even be out already, updated my BIOS like a week ago, new updates coming out each month.

Might as well get two pcs, one running Windows and the other Linux, gpu passthrough is pointless and so is gayming on loonix

Nice meme

Why bother if you still need windows VM to do it? Just install it on a separate boot drive/partition.

dual boot is still better than doing that.
I still use more than a few windows programs so my desktop is a Windows machine and my laptop is running linux.

Yes, it works great.

Need to get my house situation sorted out. Looking at kvm switches now because Im fucking tired of loosing the mouse control on my linux host until I shot the windows vm down.

I dual boot, and only ever use windows when its time to game
ideally though, just use several machines on the same desk and link them up locally
unsure about how to use a single keyboard between them though

No you don't. I'm running one of these setups right now and you can do it with just one GPU if you don't mind disabling framebuffer support in your kernel .config.

Me.
> i5-3470
> 16GB RAM
> hd7970
> 512gb ssd
Turned out to be around $300 obtaining the parts (second hand) you could probably do it for cheaper

I use a script and nuke the VM once every few days when i sleep and just restore from an image coz Steam VAC doesn't like it when your PC has vt-x enabled. Benefits would be no need to worry about your personal files on your main linux distro being infected by some zero-day M$ shit.
Bitch please. Use a processor with an iGPU

underrated

It's a pretty cumbersome setup in the end. I had this a while ago. Used my iGPU with loonix which worked just fine.

Not worth it at all really. All you get is a system that performs slightly worse and it's not exactly as seamless as you would want. Unless you really need to have tasks running in the background on linux while playing the latest AAA stuff, I would recommend dual booting instead. It's still way cleaner and simpler.

If we're talking about ultimate pcs, why not do a caselabs dual pc, one dedicated to windows, one to Linux. Use the new mx master 2s that uses software to switch between computers when you hit the edge of the monitor and a wireless keyboard that can switch between the two or a wired keyboard and a switch.

Remote Desktop

Switching boots is just annoying

I actually like having a demarcation between work & play

Luckily I have self-control and can split tasks up accordingly.

I HAVE TWO GPU AND TWO SCREENS AND ALREADY HAVE LINUX HOST
VEEERY INTERESTIN'

are you high

He is a Linux user (autism)

>install linux just to install windows anyway
now that is a great idea
and people said that linux users are smart

im a linux user but im not that autistic. the dude's on crack lmao

>linux
>not that acoustic

Choose one

i chose not that acoustic, because i prefer the style and sound of an electric guitar :DDD

>are you high
nope.

This and
This

Linux users love their gimmicky, but ultimately useless shit

why dont you disable the framebuffer via kernel command at boot? why disable it from via compile?

You do need to GPUs, but not two DEDICATED GPUs. you can go with an integrated GPU for the host, and if you ever need to use an X session with the dedicated GPU, you can just modprobe it.

You can't use the tty on the dedicated GPU thogh.

there needs to be a simpler physical, non-virtual solution for comps on the same desk
ssh and rats like team viewer shouldn't even be considered since the machines are sitting right in front of you

maybe if you plug in the keyboard into a usb hub and attach the hub via usb to both machines...

so... a kvm switch?

Using linux for the he UI.

I kinda wanna do this.
What would disabling the framebuffer do?

different tool for different job senpai
both are equally majestic in their own right

All of the good mobo makers are on 1006

You'd want Ryzen to start, 4c/8t per machine

And the ASrock B350 Fatal1ty board supports passthrough due to it's layout, AMD is still working on the software side of things for AM4 passthrough
youtube.com/watch?v=q24i8QFFLP4

thats true

er... yes basically
good lookin out homie, mad props

My uncle's used kvm's for over a decade, and he's pretty happy with it.
They can get pretty expensive, depending on the features you want, so you may want to do a little research before you buy

research is a must, just glanced over it and there seem to be plenty of variety with different functions for different setups

terminal is a UI