3 years ago I installed Gentoo, ama

3 years ago I installed Gentoo, ama.

I installed it last week no one cares

That's rude user.

install sourcemage

So I assume you guys don't do the whole ./configure && make install clean

So what do you do?

What does it look like to compile a simple package such as bash shell on gentoo?

emerge packageName

>how do you know that emerge is choosing the right source code
>how do you know that emerge is compiling it correctly for your machine
>how do you specify for emerge to compile it optimized for your machine?

That user didn't give a proper breakdown.
$ emerge ...

--search (-s)
Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree. By default emerge uses a case-insensitive simple search, but you can enable a regular expression search by prefixing the search string with %. For example, emerge --search "%^kde" searches for any package whose name starts with "kde"; emerge --search "%gcc$" searches for any package that ends with "gcc"; emerge --search "office" searches for any package that contains the word "office". If you want to include the category into the search string, prepend an @: emerge --search "%@^dev-java.*jdk". If you want to search the package descriptions as well, use the --searchdesc action.

--searchdesc (-S)
Matches the search string against the description field as well as the package name. Take caution as the descriptions are also matched as regular expressions.

--sync
Updates repositories, for which auto-sync, sync-type and sync-uri attributes are set in repos.conf. See portage(5) for more information. The PORTAGE_SYNC_STALE variable configures warnings that are shown when emerge --sync has not been executed recently.

Search a package, get the package identifier, sync the package. I think you can also install binaries, somehow.

To answer the other questions:
Emerge chooses the right source code because you fucking tell it to.
Emerge compiles it correctly for your machine because emerge is fucking vetted. (cannot build chromium as it uses experimental gcc[?])
Emerge will compile based on your fucking compile flags you set.

Read the fucking manual before asking stupid questions, you insolent twat.

so these compilation flags

do I just have to set them once or every single time?

You can set them once - typically done during the base installation of Gentoo.
And then... you can tweak them afterwards, if you need to.

How do I go from a computer that has nothing on it to a computer that is at arch linux/debian server level?

Are you guys really using your computer with so much personal information that you need to install some BS like Linux? I just use my computer to game , stream, and Sup Forums. I mean tell me what are you using your PC (personal computer ) for ? Not work computer coz it probs has windows and they are making real money unlike you

4 years ago I installed Gentoo, ama.

What's your favorite pizza toppings?

do you like it

did the browser just finish compiling?

How often do you compile the kernel?

I dunno probably about once a month. I always update to the latest major release and sometimes install the minor patches but not usually.

Don't even bother trying to compile Chromium. Firefox compiles in a reasonably quick time though.

Does installing Gentoo really solve all of my tech problems?

Most likely yes.

>>how do you know that emerge is compiling it correctly for your machine
>>how do you specify for emerge to compile it optimized for your machine?

Make.conf exists for that purpose. You specify the CFLAGS you want portage to use and packages get compiled with the options you've specified when you run emerge.

Even if I just followed a step-by-step guide or something like that?

By reading the installation handbook.

Did it blend?

Gentoo Wiki will help you solve anything.

Yes I open .blend files in Blender to blend them on my Gentoo all the time.

Why do you have Pacman with down syndrome and arthritis as your mascot?

Its more like a Magatama. If you don't like it we also have a cow and a flying saucer.

In that 4 years have you ever had a gf?

no

OP here, I've never had a gf ever. I'm also a kissless, handholdless virgin.

Installing gentoo is a symptom of having no gf, not a cause.

Actually this is probably accurate. I fill the void of lonelyness by updating packages and watching shit compile.

Have you finished compiling xorg yet?

low effort

On my old ass i7 3770 xorg compiles literally in less than 5 minutes.

Xorg compiles pretty fast and you don't need to recompile it very often.