/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to improve specs or build quality or to lower price, etc

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based on monitor resolution
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here to the containment thread with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-J14fyar5ns
rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/
pcpartpicker.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-313-777
pcpartpicker.com/list/RnZwvV
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/F8qbHN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE4A21385&cm_re=DEEPCOOL_GAMMAXX_400-_-35-856-005-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/NGFXzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/qZbkr7
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mJsTTH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FIRST FOR YEAR OF THE AMD DESKTOP

WHAT MOUSE TO BUY /GEE/

I NEED A NEW ONE

My trusty mx310 is finally starting to shit the bed after 10 long years of abuse. What's a good mouse to get that has a great sensor and build quality? I don't want anything with those rubberized coatings.

If there's a recent infographic I'll use that for reference as well

So I haven't built a new PC in like almost 7 years at this point. Do I wait out the i9-7800X and VEGA to see how benchmarks are or should I go with a R7 1700 & 1080/ti now?

get your hand size, and refer to this list:
youtube.com/watch?v=-J14fyar5ns
rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)
>1070 - if on sale/can't afford 1080
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Hey guys I've never built a rig before but everyone is saying that is the way to go and to stay away from Amazon. I got a budget of about 1200 bucks could anyone provide the best list of parts within that budget? Looking just for gaming, I dont do much else with my desktop. Thanks bros.

About to start purchasing parts friday. how am I looking? my budget is 1000. i'm trying to to get the most out of money naturally

Reminder that Nvidia GPUs are the new mining cards.
1070s aren't for gaming, sillies. Nvidia knew this all along.

Amazon generally doesn't have the best deals on computer components, and they charge tax.
Newegg, B&H Video, Microcent, and Ebay (new sellers through it, especially those 10-15% off coupons they do like 1 day every month) tend to be where you get the best deals.

Don't fall for the wait meme. There is always something better on the horizon. Get it if you need it now, if not just get it when you need it

Solid, though I'd generally avoid MSI.
ASRock has solid components and the best support for features (ECC memory, PCI bifurcation, actual working sensors in linux, etc)
ASUS has the best components and still usually decent BIOS and firmware. (yes their launch BIOS was garbage, but seems fine now)

Also why not spend $40 more for double the side SSD and just drop the HDD?
And a 550W PSU would be more than enough for your build. You won't draw over like 200-350watt.

Amazon does have pretty good deals on Black Friday. But that is about it.

Opinions on the "Military Class" spec that MSI boasts about?

Yeh, that's true.
And they have deals on other stuff.
Just not PC components.

okay i will drop the hdd. what about this for a motherboard? Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard

what are you going to be using this for user? gaming?

I have never played video games on a computer. I have a macbook from college that I want to replace with the ability to game, watch movies, surf the web, day to day tasks. really a little of everything. not just gaming essentially.

You can find 580 in stock?

honestly havent even looked i just have fucked around on pcpp are like not in stock anywhere? lol

Bullshit. They are fighting with Gigabyte for most garbage components in most cases.
The exception is that Gigabyte super high end boards (like the Aorus 7) are actually good. And MSI low end might not be quite as bad as Gigabyte low end.

I think they must also pay off reviewers. The (very few) reviews I could find on this ITX single fan 1070 were glowing. They said the fan wasn't loud. The fan is loud as fuck and it even CLICKS sometimes.

ASRock does some insane boards sometimes too. Look at their Z270 Supercarrier. It has a 48 PCIe lane PLX chip on it to give the board 72 total PCIe lanes. It has 3 full 4x speed m.2 slots in addition to the x8/x8/x8/x8, IIRC.

Why not get the ASRock Pro4 or the Prime? (either mATX or ATX for either)

Ya probably aren't in stock. If it is for you and near MSRP, buy it immediately. You may want to call local PC part warehouses or check your local hardware swap.

Yeah I'm trying not to hold out for the next best thing but I'm looking to do 120hz solid in MP games and then as high as I can go on highest settings on SP games and since I typically only buy a new system every 5-7 years I just want to buy the best I can get for the time so I don't mind waiting a little bit.

I was planning to jump on Ryzen right away but the 7700k seems like the better choice from a pure gaming perspective but then I don't think buying a 4 core CPU is a great idea at this point. Plus there's the memory "issues" with Ryzen at the minute that I honestly don't feel like waiting for a complete resolution on. I know it's not a major issue but I'd just like to put everything together and not have to worry about it.

can i install drivers onto my usb that already has windows 10 installer?

3Gb or 6Gb 1060?

6GB

Under no circumstances should you get a 3GB 1060. It is a scam GPU just like the 970.

So MSI GTX ITX should bei avoided due to shitty fan? Read the reviews, thought I'd pick a 1060 Aero OC for 260 - 15 Euro cashback in Germany

okay is this better dudes?

My thread died so just for a few more opinions before I buy my budgetfag PC should I
A: buy a Dell optiplex with i5 2400 and 4 gigs of RAM for 90 bucks, slap a 1050 ti and 4 more gigs of RAM for a total of about 250
Or
B: Buy a Pentium 4560, 1050 ti and 8 gigs of RAM for 420-450ish with thoughts of upgrading once i5 or i7s and better graphics cards dip.

you dont need a HDD? 512gb is enough for you?

Looks good.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-313-777

get this ram. running 32gb at 2933 on my ax370 gaming 5

yeah it will be good for the time being i just want to get it up and running and add storage later

>won x370 motherboard in giveaway
>lucky fuck
>have bills to pay
>have car to fix
>shit happens
>motherboard sits in box for months
>finally get some spending money
>just one more week

I can't wait.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RnZwvV r8

I'm just getting back into this shit so I can't really r8 but why spend all that money and then buy a 1080 60hz monitor?

Get a G2, G3, GS, or GQ psu if you're going EVGA

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/F8qbHN

Would appreciate any suggestions. I'm especially unsure about the case right now but I need good airflow since the room I'm in is tiny and due to the building I'm in, air circulation is pretty shit.

>4k

That monitor is trash.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE4A21385&cm_re=DEEPCOOL_GAMMAXX_400-_-35-856-005-_-Product

This fan good for 1600x?

Hot a 1070 coming in but im on a cheapo depot 8320e. Whats the cheapest cpu/mobo i could get that wont bottleneck it

fug 4k

Wasn't expecting him to get a 4k monitor but that monitor with that rig only makes sense if it's a stop gap to save up for a good monitor.

1400 with a 320 chipset mb.

What's a good fan I can use to replace the one that came with my Hyper 212 Evo?

Checking in here before pulling the trigger on ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC for 150€from Amazon.de. Any thoughts on it?
I wanted a RX 580 but trying to get one right now seems like a bad idea, so the current plan is to get something usable now and upgrade to a lower end RX Vega and 1440p later.

Current build:

CPU: 4690k
Mobo: asus h97m-plus
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB
GPU: r9 280X 3GB VRAM
Case: cooler master n200 (mATX)
Power: Antec 850W

I built my rig for gaming and am looking to go 4K. My desk is located next to my TV which is the only current 4K screen in my house, and my GPU can no longer cut it for my gaming standards.

What's wrong with the one that came with your Evo?

Cooler Master silencio 120mm fans are good.

I don't know about your country but here in shitty eastern eu there are some 470 and 480 cards showing up for a normal price. I'd say you could wait for those instead of buying crap.

Gigabyte motherboards are trash, get ASRock Pro4
MSI Armor is meh
Get G2, G3, GS, or GQ psu if you're going EVGA as the other user said
Also is 512GB enough for you? I would recommend 1TB + 240GB SSD

What's a good GTX1080Ti? Should I wait for Vega since I have Ryzen? Not sure if there will be a performance boost since they are both by the same company but I can get the 1080ti right now.

Well then save minimum $700 for a 1080ti as that's the only single card solution that could drive 4k half way decently. Unless you're looking to play on low settings with no AA at 4k. Then why fucking bother.

I've been using it for a few years now and it's getting a little noisy.

what type?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NGFXzM

Will be an entertainment center and playing vidya, watching shows/movies, and maybe streaming.

Should be able to buy it by the middle of July or early august if things go well.

I live by microcenter so im thinking if i get a good enough deal with a mobo combo id get a 1600

That works. The 1600 is the best bang for the buck processor out there at the moment

$700?? That's quite pricey, I was hoping for closer to 500 or 600. What models are recommended? I've never owned nvidia

I replied that because you said the cheapest. You shouldn't but it. Get the one you mentioned with a board that allows OC.

I don't know, but I would personally get something a bit bigger with a better refresh rate and can do at least 1440. But like I said I've been out of the loop for awhile but getting that monitor seems like buying a Porsche but getting tires with it that can only go 65 mph.

Noctua fans have a reputation for being very quiet. Idk why they don't have more color choices though.

I recently built a PC with a Ryzen 1600 processor, 16 gb of RAM and a gtx 1060 6gb.

it's literally the max the average person will ever need. I was playing Witcher 3 in ultra quality while watching a 1080p livestream on the 2nd monitor while occasionally alt-tabbing to browse Sup Forums while downloading a torrent, while having the LoL client minimized and I didn't even get one bit of lag.

coming from a shitty laptop this is absolutely amazing. I don't get why anyone needs more than these specs though.

These any good?

I recently built a PC with a i7 extreme processor, 32 gb of RAM and dual gtx 1080 ti's

it's literally the max the average person will ever need. I was playing crysis 3 in ultra quality while watching two 4k livestreams on the 2nd and 3rd monitor while occasionally alt-tabbing to browse Sup Forums while downloading 8 torrents, while having the LoL client minimized and I didn't even get one bit of lag.

coming from a shitty tablet this is absolutely amazing. I don't get why anyone needs more than these specs though.

What's your average framerate in Witcher 3?

Ryzen seems to be close enough in most games to the 7700k but when it loses it tends to typically lose hard and it seems like on a lot of the benchmarks that Ryzen vs 7700k for games can mean the difference between hitting or missing the 120hz mark.

Finnish prices aren't good to begin with and the shortage definitely doesn't help. Not a lot of used cards going around either as far as I can tell. If I knew the situation was going back to normal in X weeks I could probably wait but I have no idea. Doesn't help that my GPU's dead so I'm not just upgrading from an old card that isn't quite cutting it anymore.

>OP is still shilling Intel
How much do they pay you? Seriously.

1440p or 1080 144 hz exists. 23" 1080p 60hz? Pretty much like a laptop screen at this point.

Is that the cheapest one you can find? They should be starting at ~130€ depending on country. All 1050 Tis are basically the same, so if you're just buying to have something for now I'd just get the cheapest.
I think some of the more expensive ones take a 6 pin power connector and can potentially be overclocked further, but I doubt it's worth it.

You could also try to get a used gtx 970 on ebay for ~120. It's not great, but still quite a bit better than a 1050 Ti.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qZbkr7

Hello everyone after a week lurking on /pcbg/ threads I ended up with this build, any last thoughts/recommendations before I buy it? Thanks

Monitor has QC issues if you are fine with playing RMA lottery go ahead.

I don't know if you would know but why does ryzen seem to be the go to choice right now for new builds? And why did you personally pick it? It has more cores but a much lower clock speed than the i series at a similar price. I'm just curious as to why I'm seeing so many ryzen builds.

Hey, Sup Forums
I found a local place near me with some great looking open box values on Mobo's. Is that reliable? If so, is it worth going from a b350 to a x370? Price would be about the same.

>much lower
Remember to not OC K series Intel chips!

Which Ryzen is the best for gaming?

I thought that was the who point of the k chips? Is there currently a problem with OCing them?

A big advantage of Amazon.de is the free shipping to Finland. ebay isn't used here, I imagine the shipping costs would end up making it too expensive to be worth it. I might also have to pay VAT when importing compared to Amazon where it's paid up front. I'll take a look though, I hadn't considered it and the 970 definitely looks better.
Locally, cheapest used 970 I could find is 170€ and for 1050 ti 160€. The cheapest one on Amazon is 10€ cheaper and 90 MHz slower so I figure it's worth it.

Straight up gaming? Probably the 1600. Go with the X if you don't feel like overclocking. Bigger is better, of course, but higher series focus more on multitasking/productivity, so it might not be worth the cost

Is more reliable well around and future proof cpu, even if it has slower clocks it performs almost the same with the i7 7700 on most games from the benchmarks that I've seen, and that's the reason I'm going with the ryzen build

Alright, thanks for the straight-forward reply. I don't plan to do anything like video editing or streaming, just general use and gaming. So yeah.

>buying AMD rubbish
>ever

what would be a fair price to sell a barely used r9 390x on craigslist or ebay?

Yes. Shitty thermal paste. That's why Intel is a laughing stock since weeks.

End yourself.

thoughts on the msi b350 mortar arctic motherboard?

I see, any worries about when it's time to upgrade though as AMD processors seem to not hold their value very well?

If you get free shipping that's ok I guess. I was going to suggest mindfactory for generally lower prices but I just checked and shipping to finland is 20€.
Also yeah, 170 for a used 970 sounds like a bad idea.

Should be one of the better mATX board and looks nice. Pretty expensive though.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mJsTTH

Thoughts?

If the ONLY thing you ever do is gaming, perfectly fine.
If you do anything else though, switch to AMD Ryzen

You could save a lot on the cpu and mb by switching to amd.

>7700k
You will regret this purchase within a year's time unless you absolutely require high end 144Hz gaming right the fuck now.

It looks like the same exact fan and shit.
If it is, maybe it'll cool better on the lower power 1060. But I'd really try and get a decent model.

Fuck MSI. Fuck Gigabyte.
I got these Gigabyte 1070 with three fucking fans. The G1 model. Yeah it's mostly quiet, but it still has this chopping noise that makes it sound louder than it really is.
That's the thing with dB measurements, they don't account for pitch or the smoothness to the sound. Like these Cryorig fans are a bit louder than I'd like, but the noise is like a gentle breeze so it's not annoying like these MSI and Gigabyte fans.

And fuck MSI for their stupid ass board that doesn't have labels. The manual doesn't list which connector is for the CPU fan either. I had to guess, but I hate guessing with that shit when it should be clearly labeled.

I've been getting so much different hardware and I'm so pissed off at how shitty everything is. Maybe I should do youtube reviews at some point. Almost no one would send me anything because I'll shit on 90% of this low quality overpriced junk, but whatever I can buy it myself.

At least one good thing I got is this Seagate Barracuda 2TB laptop size (2"?) HDD. When it does make noise, it's not nearly as bad as some other HDDs. But most of the time, even during installs and stuff, it's completely quiet.

$280 for a 1060 is way too much. Is there no decent model ~$230 or less?
Try and call locally to find an RX570 or RX580 imo.
You could really get a cheaper PSU too like the 550RM. The newer Seasonic mainstream models are all good.

Could also consider a mATX board even if your case is ATX. You're not going to use all those expansion slots and you might want to change to a smaller case at some point.

1400 OC'd but 1500X or 1600 OC'd would be better.

Not even 2 1080Ti consistently keeps above 60fps in 4K due to SLI sometimes not scaling well and because Nvidia's architecture just doesn't scale to higher resolutions as well as GCN.
Vega MIGHT, at least in newer games. You might want to upgrade to a 4790k, too.

i need help to choose a cooler for my ryzen 1700. i plan to oc it to 3.9/3.8ghz. i got 2 choices, Hyper 212 LED Turbo (2 fans) or CM Liquid Lite 120. Price differences in my country is 12usd.

Current build - i5 3570k 16GB ram GTX1070

What processor should I upgrade to? 1600 or 7700k?

Tough choice because they're both shit
Go for the one that's cheaper. They'll cool roughly the same at below 1.35V

1600. The 7700k is only good if you only game and was a stable 144 fp in games. The 1600 does perform worse in games but it isn't a huge trade off. It's 20 FPS at absolute most.

>cooling lines ribbed for her pleasure

It's such a shame that AMD hasn't released a server-version of Ryzen yet. I'm stuck buying a E3-1240 v6 because there's nothing AMD has yet that can compare to its higher clock speeds and full ECC support.