Isn't it ironic that this place has no actual hackers

Just made me think real hard.

Other urls found in this thread:

encyclopediadramatica.rs/AnonOps#LOL_ANONOPS_DEAD_2:_ELECTRIC_BOOGALOO
theguardian.com/technology/2013/jun/12/lulzsec-hacker-community-order-images
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

theres some very very smart people who browse this board I'll just say that (I'm not one of em, but I've had the pleasure of meeting some of them)

Around 1980, when the news media took notice of hackers, they fixated on one narrow aspect of real hacking: the security breaking which some hackers occasionally did. They ignored all the rest of hacking, and took the term to mean breaking security, no more and no less. The media have since spread that definition, disregarding our attempts to correct them. As a result, most people have a mistaken idea of what we hackers actually do and what we think.

what do you define as "actual hacker"? I've heard plenty of people here who have a career in SQL Injection and Penetration testing.

Media thinks Sup Forums is the home of the hackers called anonymous when on average this board probably has lower actual serious netsec people compared to other tech forums/conglomerates/whatever.

Not really. We want to be left alone. Hackers want to get into other people's shit by default.

Stop being an autist, you know what people mean when they use the word in a certain context.

i just hacked my cx-10a to accept external batteries. hardest solder job i've ever done because small as fuck, but it worked. also, fuck you, patrick. fuck. you. i did it on the second try because the jumper came loose (worked fine the first try).

how do you know ? there's nothing but shitposts on this board, and everyone who's been here for more than a year just ignores 99.9% of the threads

Sup Forums - Technology
not Sup Forums - Hacking
op doesn't even know what irony is.

'hacking" means doing a thing in alternative way, even if it isn't useful. Like using fork to eat chink food instead of forks. Media is killing this definition, when you say "hacker" you cannot know if someone is a security breaker or a person that likes to find alternative ways to do something. Basically every programmer is a hacker at some point.

>Isn't it ironic that this place has no actual Mr.Robots
FTFY OP
And I'm sure this site has some shady programmers around

everyone knows that all the hackers on Sup Forums are now working for russia

ryzen was designed by russians and is backdoored by them.

Not him, but the 'real' definition of hacker hasn't been in use for a long time. I've never seen the other meaning in use outside of imageboards.

I hacked your mom.

I penetrated her defenses with my D and injected genetic code into her mainframe

The 'real' definition of hackers was created by it grandpas that literally are too dumb to understand modern exploitation

yeah, but "hacker" is kind of a badge for us. We're proud to carry it. Just because media wants to take that from us doesn't mean we should stop using it. Of course don't say that to normalfags, they don't need to understand, they're still looking for that facebook hacker to hack their ex gf's account. Media also tells us Sup Forums is a hacker, don't take them seriously

autism, you know you can just use the word to refer to different things right.

Don't mind me, just hacking you right nao.

I mean for the next 2 years I will be learning a lot of InfoSec.
For now beware my udp while loops!

All of the hackers(security breakers) are hackers(alternative way finder). But not all "alternative way finders" are security breakers. This has a name in my language "reduction of meaning" if i have to roughly translate it. For example "son" meant children regardless of gender, but with time it became male child. This is generally harmless thing but there are people who would offended when their "hacker" badge is being stolen from them.
also what kind of hacker definition includes Sup Forums?

>what kind of hacker definition includes Sup Forums?
Security breaker.
Just because the media doesn't understand what Sup Forums is doesn't mean they're using the word wrong.

searx.me; it say it's hackable metasearch engine, which is true. Also hacker news mean hacker in hacker way, the right and practically more common way.

so people who use metasploit/impact/canvas to automate their tasks?

The idea of penetration testing or hacking sounds really fun and interesting but when it comes to networking or anything to do with networking, I lose interest really quickly.
I'm still trying to learn about networking though.
I'm more interested in other stuff

I wouldn't doubt it though that there probably are some legit hackers who browse this board.

>uses a REDDIT meme on Sup Forums

really made me think

I read that article by Stallman too

>what do you define as "actual hacker"?
Someone who reverse-engineers software and hardware, and finds ways to manipulate it.
Pretty broad field which isn't limited to breaching security and doing malicious things.

With that definition, people who create console emulators are in that category

> the medias are using a wrong term but they're stubborn so there's nothing we can do

You don't deserve either term, you limp wrist-ed faggots.

They pretty much are. Non-network hackers.

D-dad?

We need a different word for the real meaning of 'hackers'.
Like how animefags call themselves weebs to escape the connotations of the word 'otaku'.

Sup Forums is the best board on Sup Forums, by far

1) I never get banned here for trying to make funny threads (was banned on Sup Forums and Sup Forums often)

2) get lots of GREAT recommendations for tech buys and chink shit --- all I bought recently was Sup Forums recommendations and all stuff is fantastic

3) genuinely good humor

I can't state how much I love this board.

It is the best by far.

What do you know n00b?

What have you people never heard of hackathons? (They have nothing to do with security). In the actual tech industry people still use the traditional definition of hacker/hacking all the time.

But obviously OP meant the layman definition.

This

Fuck off

>have a career in SQL Injection
ahahah

it's funny how 3301 posted their recruitment image on Sup Forums and /x/ instead of here

That definition is dead. Stop being autistic.

So what do you guys actually do?

Several people in my local Hackerspace browse Sup Forums, one used to be a mod.

>Hackerspace
>hackers
Our hackerspace publicly denounces illegal activities and cybercrime, but there is plenty of that going on anyways.

>lower actual serious netsec people
Nah, serious netsec folks just understand the importance of opsec, compartmentalizing their shitposting separate from their other activities.

You might laugh but someone I know has made 30k in BTC by injecting his BTC address in darknet market's databases replacing their escrow address.

He found it by going over a popular guide/framework on how to set up a darknet market one day and saw the used software had injection vulnerabilities.

>US
>WE

It doesn't help that the protocols all come from 80s corporate and military dudes so all of the best documentation is crazy terse and jargony.

Yeah hackers would come here and discuss their craft.
Sure user. That's sounds like a great idea.

there's no such thing as a "career in SQL injection"

Of course not. But that was just a lame quip at the extensive use of sql injection in pentesting anyways.

Tyrone.

/c/ still better.

chippy1337

encyclopediadramatica.rs/AnonOps#LOL_ANONOPS_DEAD_2:_ELECTRIC_BOOGALOO

theguardian.com/technology/2013/jun/12/lulzsec-hacker-community-order-images

>people who create console emulators are in that category

Are you implying they aren't?