Fully spec'd iMac to cost $17000

zdnet.com/article/want-a-fully-loaded-imac-pro-better-sit-down-at-more-than-17k-this-is-gonna-hurt/

SEVENTEEN
THOUSAND
DOLLARIDOOS

Other urls found in this thread:

hi-powercycles.com/2017-hpc-revolution-x/
youtube.com/watch?v=35wyy96JB0w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

test

There are so much idiots out there full of money those will be sold-out even before the official launch

Imagine having $ 17k to spend on your personal Behemoth, jeez that's a dream

Would buy it if I had the money desu

id get 40 x230's, ((the dream))

>he doesn't have 17 thousand dollars

3000 raspberry pi zeroes in cluster

What could a 17 grand machine do that a 10 grand couldn't?

a few more chrome tabs open
to maximize yaoi

What would you do with 3000 RPis? Energy consumption would be a bitch.

>replying to wrong post

>But this is a very welcome machine for certain professional users who need all the power they can get.
How? How could anyone justify that? Especially right after you say
>Once you factor in the Apple tax of more than 80 percent on upgrades from the base machine, the cost seems excessive.
Do you read your own article as you write it?

>Imagine having $ 17k to spend on your personal Behemoth, jeez that's a dream
It's not that much money if you work on the things for a living (and can claim the cunt on your taxes)

ecc ram and big ssds aren't cheap but they're nothing compared to the small fortune the blue jew wants for any cpu above the base model xeons

17k Facebook Dream

this is just some guy doing weird back of the napkin calculation -- the real maximum possible price will probably be somewhere near $10,000, which is where trashcan Mac Pro was at the beginning.

normies don't buy desktop computers anymore, they'll get an macbook instead. this is targeted for professionals that are tied into the apple eco system and pretty much have to buy it, so why not milk them as much as you can?

At 17k, I'm pretty sure you could start investing in a render farm for whatever it is you need, far more cost efficiently.

they can justify it if they make more than the price of the machine using that machine to make $$$. The drop in productivity by switching between tool-sets is substantial, especially when you consider the number of professionals at a company who would be switching.

If a company takes a 30% throughput hit across the board because they need to make a major IT transition, that IT transition had better be worth it in terms of the millions in product delays.

I think for large organizations of Mac users, or even single professionals with a well-honed workflow, spending $10,000 on a machine is well worth it.

I speak from personal experience too, at this. My employer is happily still purchasing trashcan mac pros in the tens to use for developer machines. We could switch everyone to Linux and Lenovo/Thinkpad hardware (not that we'd save much on hardware costs there -- thinkpads of comparable perf are specced the same as macbook pros); but the loss in productivity would easily cost us tens of millions in developer productivity. Not worth it if you consider the machine savings for engineers, at even half price...

700 eng * $10,000/yr for CRAZY macs = $7,000,000 (7 mil)
savings per 2 years from switching to linux (half price) $3,500,000 (3.5 mil)

700 eng * $130,000/yr for Pretty Dece engineers = $91,000,000 (91 mil)
30% productivity hit because people can't mac: $27,300,000 (27 mil)

As you can see, it is not worth saving $3.5 mil on computer hardware to loose $27 mil in engineering productivity.

>will throttle to same speed as 2009 imac under load

>The drop in productivity by switching between tool-sets is substantial, especially when you consider the number of professionals at a company who would be switching.
What switching between tool-sets?
No one uses anything that is limited to OSX anymore, some of the applications aren't even faster on OSX anymore.

Xcode?

>not using Vim
lol

Does Vim have a plugin for compiling iOS and OS X applications now?

Xcode is 100% essential for iOS development; non-negotiable, but let's not even count that.

- OS familiarity with every-day actions like file browsing an draggan drop
- homegrown developer tooling
- essential, mac-only job critical apps like Sketch
- institutional platform knowledge
- Everyone's personal slew of helpers like screen recorders, note-taking apps, calendars, API clients (lots of Paw fans)

Plus a ton of these people like macOS. It's what we're on for a reason - people seem to like it plenty. It's not like this is 700 people who are all die-hard rabid mac fans. There's plenty of unix beards like me who would prefer i3 and our native docker... but overall engineers here (SF / Silicon Valley) tend to agree on mac.

There's easily 30% hit in this client-side/workstation tools alone.

Sure, we're deploying to Linux boxen, using AWS, use mysql, nginx, ... etc etc... but there's a lot of day-to-day on macOS.

>iOS

Nobody gives a shit.

That's cheap for the performance and quality it gives...
Gonna buy it soon..
Before u fags attck me..im a editor
I have a pc with nearly same config

>im a editor
A clueless retard editor.

Literally no one will buy the maxed out thing. Probably includes software and everything you can click in the online form. Why is this even worth writing about?

I dont pay for it so idc

>Apple doesn't release numbers until they release numbers. So if you're going to be budgeting for this thing, please realize that I'm guessing here.

OP, stop being such a shitter.

That's a really expensive electric heater desu senpai

I thought you needed something to edit on, come take a seat over here I'm Mike Pence

> thinking that temporal dithering causes banding
> thinking that 1024 levels of color per channel means you can achieve near infinite color, when temporal dithering can theoretically reach 16777216 factorial color, and achieve equivalent color spectrums despite the fewer color value counts.

as an owner of a 6bit panel that does 8bit temporal dithering, they're not equivalent

it does a pretty decent job eliminating banding.. as long as nothing is moving
once you add motion into the mix, temporal dither becomes much less effective
now of course 8 to 10 is going to be less noticable than 6 to 8, but don't call it equivalent, it's not

it's just a celebrity's kitchen counter Twitter machine, it's not a real computer.

How much productivity would you lose going from a $17,000 iMac to a $10,000 iMac?

Can I browse Sup Forums efficiently on 3000 Raspberry Pi?

You can probably build a faster thread ripper PC for $5000. The xeons don't offer anything Mac users need, they're just throwing money away.

about three fiddy precent

Have an Apple logo on it.

>It's not that much money if you work on the things for a living
It's still pretty much unless you're raking in money, especially considering you could get a similarly-speced computer built from parts for probably less than the $5,000 entry-level model. Sure, it won't be an AIO and it won't have the Apple logo on it, but it seems difficult to rationalize spending all that extra money on that.

Haha, for that much I'd rather build a dual-Epyc system with 64 cores and slot in 4-way GPUs for compute.

why spend 1700 on a mac when you could use that money towards a Grom?

Actually not that much. I mean it has some good hardware, 5k display and all that. I remember that 70000 bucks Nvidia workstation thing being posted here not so long ago. Anyway, since this came out would anyone ever under any circumstances but a trashcan Mac pro?

>petrol

Go electric!

hi-powercycles.com/2017-hpc-revolution-x/

youtube.com/watch?v=35wyy96JB0w

>Xcode is 100% essential for iOS development; non-negotiable
Is this still the case? How come noone has managed to make open-source tools for this?

Why wouldn't you just get a real motorcycle?

because Grom are qt3.14

iOS has 33% market share, so everyone that has a mobile product to deliver does care

You could theoretically create an app with moderate to extreme difficulty without Xcode but in order to be released on the App Store it needs to have been compiled with Xcode.

Why? Are there some private keys or something that only Xcode has and that somehow cannot be extracted from it?