Why almost all DEs come with ugly ass themes by default...

Why almost all DEs come with ugly ass themes by default? Why can't the maintainers spend a little bit of their time to make it more presentable out of the box?

people have different tastes
if you want the apple theme just switch to the apple theme

try solus

Because you're still gonna mod it, so why should they bother

No one that cares about how their system looks will ever use the default theme, doesn't matter if it's good or not. They are the people who like posting screenshots and they take pride in heavily customized desktops.

But really, very little people in the Linux community cares about how their system look, and those are usually the irrelevant part of the community, the ones who never contribute to anything in any way.

>almost all DEs

it's only xfce4, its like using windows XP on steroids. In 2017.

.. that being said, Mint does come with good default themes. It's been a while but if I remember correctly, hey have that dark green flat gtk/cinnamon theme that looks quite nice.

>very few people in the Linux community cares about how their system look, and those are usually the irrelevant part of the community, the ones who never contribute to anything in any way

this

I care about how it looks to the point where I don't have to spend hours or days tweaking. I'll spend 2 hours updating installing packages setting up cron and maybe 20 minutes with my system looks.

I use mac and windows but imo ubuntu unity looks pretty neat

I think the way it looks can contribute to, at least, being able to work fine with it without being distracted

And font rendering is crucial if you spend a lot of time reading. Nothing helpful about shitty font rendering.

It's not like your themes get reset when you reboot.

kubuntu is good.

Hijacking the thread, what are good GTK3 themes then?
I just updated from jessie to sid and clearlooks-phenix looks broken, so I tried looking for better themes but none are quite good enough.

Requeriments:
- Absolutely NO animations, fade effects, nothing of the sort
- "Clean", not absolutely borderless but rather have small and defined borders, try to save space without being too extreme about it.
- Light/grey colors, no 'dark as my soul' themes.

I found nothing that ticks all the boxes, the best so far:
- Arc is good but the use of light grey for fonts is rather stupid.
- Numix is okay but they have some minor animations, dark menus and a extremely vibrant color scheme that I'd rather see toned down.
- Mint-y seems the best but is broken on sid right now, will have to wait for an update.

So Sup Forums. which sensible themes do you use? If you participate in ricing threads please refrain from posting, I'd like to keep the discussion between adults.

I have a similar problem, I cannot really find something good enough. On the classic department yes, I think Zuki-whatever does the job and my favorite icon theme for that is Cheser.

But most of the modern shit amounts to basically making your desktop look like your smartphone.

I like Manjaro's default themes.

After about 10 minutes of tweaking XFCE, I have it perfect for me anyway and never touch it again.

Solus doesn't have this problem.

Thanks, I didn't know about Zukitwo but it is quite good.
The problems with it is the use of some gradient where I'd rather see solid colors and it kind of wastes space in some places.
Now I'm in doubt about it and Arc, I don't like the grey text but I can override it in most applications so it is fine.

I'm using Breeze-GTK on Fedora 25 KDE, and all my GTK3 applications look as good as my Qt5 apps. Try arc-theme too.
You can find both in Sid's repos

>apple theme
DISGUSTING

Didn't like it much. Not sure if it is broken but it just looks very strange overall, nothing quite fits together and some elements are much bigger than needed.
I think I will stay with Arc. I can manually override the font colors in most applications, the next worse thing is the invisible menu separators.
I hope they fix mint-y soon, it looks like the best by quite a margin.

that looks pretty decent, for a default. having said that Mint is bad don't use Mint

>Not using kde with a dark theme