Sup Forums BTFO by Linus from LTT

he basically ended you

Other urls found in this thread:

gartner.com/newsroom/id/3516317
w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all
w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-unix/all/all
searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/tip/Red-Hat-bolsters-Linux-for-mainframes-tries-to-catch-Novell
top500.org/statistics/overtime/
gs.statcounter.com/#mobile tablet-os-ww-monthly-201611-201611-bar
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6h1rfq/slug/diusrb4
itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
news.netcraft.com/archives/2017/02/27/february-2017-web-server-survey.html
elementary.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

literally who?
also
>reddit
stay there

Linus Tech Tips, youtube faggot. Though I run linux he does make some fair points

>who
only one of the biggest tech youtuber on the planet

>youtube e-""""celebs""""
unless you're generation Z, why would you care?

>I'm a normie, let me do normie things

good for him

I'd take tech nigger's opinion more than this whitey

And I'm white.

That's Linus, creator of the Linux OS.

What is "work"?

>linus tells us what we already know
How surprise.

I don't care who he is, his videos are shit. I just said he makes a good point

Back to plebbit faggot

reminder that linus married a literal mutated martian roach who castrated him and told him it regretted marrying him

judging by how some of the people on this board act, they clearly do not know

Just 'cause the source is bad (presumably... I don't know any of these people) doesn't mean the explanation is bad.

If a user ever has to deal with the nuts-and-bolts of the OS, it's fucked.

This isn't unique to Linux; compare the clusterfuck of Windows printer drives to Apple's AirPrint.

AirPrint: connect to WiFi, print.
Windows: download drivers, install drives, reboot, add printer through USB, configure WiFi connectivity, add printer WiFi port, pray it works.

Now, recently Windows has adopter Bonjour printing services (AirPrint), so this comparison is more apt for a few years ago, but you can see as time goes on, having to deal with drivers, settings, and all that other shit is GOING AWAY.

And it needs to go away in Linux, too.

Some of the people on this board are retards.
That doesn't make us all retards. That doesn't make them "Sup Forums".

>why would you care about some youtuber who influences the opinions of millions of people?

literally true, linux is an OS for hobbyists and NEETs.

I use a fucking ps3 as a PC
Do you really expect me to budge on my opinion?

Link the post, can't find it

>appeal to authority fallacy
yes, you are definitely generation Z

>Someday Linux's time will come and yet he relies on it every day
>Someday
gartner.com/newsroom/id/3516317
w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all
w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-unix/all/all
searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/tip/Red-Hat-bolsters-Linux-for-mainframes-tries-to-catch-Novell
top500.org/statistics/overtime/
gs.statcounter.com/#mobile tablet-os-ww-monthly-201611-201611-bar
And just to sum everything up - pic related.

Linux is perfectly fine at maintaining dominance within its specific niches, like servers, HPC, and software development.
I don't see what's so controversial or mind-shattering about the statement that it's not suitable for your average 40-year-old white-collar worker who uses Excel/Word to write reports at work and goes home to browse Facebook. Linus literally isn't saying anything new here.

he did an ama, so it's on r/iama

/thread

so once again, he is making content about shit that everyone already knows about.
sage because this doesn't deserve a thread. You're acting like terry uploaded a new video or something. You need to clam down, its just lineus spamming old news.

Yeah I'm trying to go through the comments but I can't find this specific post

I want to know what he was asked

not defending him - but he is obviously talking about computing for normies

not mainframe computers you goofball

In general, it's depressing that people nowadays are mentally challenged to an extent they can't utilize something which requires more than one click to configure.

>If they are only spending 30-45 minutes on their computer at night
then they can choose between:
- use Windows, spend 20 minutes on installing windows updates and another 15 on AV update and scan
- use Windows, spend all that time to try to figure out how to get rid of wannacrypt
- work overtime to be able to afford a Mac
- use some obscure distro like Arch, spend the night trying to get X running again
- use a sane distro like Debian, spend 2 minutes on updates and the rest on facebook

WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT FUCKING NORMIES USE STOP TRYING TO MAKE GNU/LINUX MAINSTREAM, THE MORE POPULAR IT BECOMES THE WORSE IT GETS, YOU FAGGOTS ARE THE REASON GNOME 3, SYSTEMD AND FUCKING STEAM FOR LINUX EXIST. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>he thinks the opinion of a brainlet box reader mean anything

well, for reddit, it was probably a revelation.

>I really think the average joe knows how to install Debian

ok jonnie

"will you guys make content about linux? like you should try installing it in every laptop you review"

He's Canadian, so he doesn't even really count as white anyways.

I found it if anyone was also wondering
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6h1rfq/slug/diusrb4

>not defending him - but he is obviously talking about computing for normies
And that's clearly the only place Linux and Unix-based systems haven't dominated on, as my post proves. So, what now?

It is a fallacy but it's actually happening. You can whine about reddit and normies all you want, point remains that millions of people listen to Linus and are influenced by what he says.
If he says Linux is shit they will believe it. They might try Linux once and see that he was right; It is too complicated for them. They won't give it a chance because they already heard it's shit.
Then they will reinstall Windows, develop software for Windows and laugh at people who think they should make software for Linux. And that's why the year of the Linux desktop will never come.

stop linking to crapit. shoo shoo away with you

He's right, Linux is far from being ready for desktop

itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

Isn't Ubuntu or Mint plug and play user friendly tier? I found using them very easy, but I'm not normie brainlet so really can't tell.

You mean the Gnu/Linux OS?

Most distros will install themselves with little input from the user. Only autistic maymay distros like Arch, Void, Gentoo, etc. expect any interaction unless something breaks, and things don't break nearly as much as people say they do.

The greatest block GNU/Linux has for normalfags is in laptops, and specifically laptops with NICs that are supported poorly (Mediakek, Broadcum). I don't expect anyone to waste their time trying to get that shit to work, especially as a beginner, because it's fucking cancer. Not really Linux's fault though.

No!

if he doesn't like linux why did he invent it

he won't know how to install windows either. normies use whatever comes preinstalled.

>not normie brainlet
>is a code monkey

KEK

hand your parents a debian USB-drive and get back to us with the results

Author says w*dowz 10 sucks shit too

>overclockable, water-cooled servers
Also most normies use Linux (Android) for their shit, so the point is moot. Desktops are literally irrelevant outside of workstations (company controlled) and gaming (enthusiast controlled).

the main point is about windows, it's about linux being usable or not.

You have to give the guy credit, hating on your own operating system isn't an easy task, he really does view things from an objective stand point.

Who cares. The less retards, the better. Enterprise is as strong as ever, and the competent userbase also contributes. Linux literally doesn't need the general illiterate populace - let them have their smartphones and keep away. Only corporate entities like Red Hat and Canonical *need* such userbase.

what do you mean? i am not sure to understand you

I have literally done this. Parents asked to tell them how to fix their slow shitty laptop, but I couldn't come to their house to do it. Gave them instructions on how to burn a Stretch liveCD with Rufus, and told them how to boot into it and to just follow the prompts saying yes/ok. They were able to install it without my help.

Linux is kernel, not an operating system.

You could've read my post yourself.

>the world revolves around my anecdotes

ok

because i have normies among my friends, user. not everyone is a loner like you. i can't even play cs go on esea with my friends because the esea client doesn't support linux (due to that stupid gplv2).

I did post a link listing all the problems for linux on desktop. Is your link a counter argument? If yes, how?

>I point out how most distros aren't complicated to use or install
>"yeah right kid go see if your parents can get Debian installed"
>I provide anecdote because I am asked for one
>"Anecdotes aren't evidence faggot!!!!"
Windows children need to be put in the timeout pen.

Have you ever heard of dual booting and choosing the lesser evil? Dual boot your distro with Windows 7/8.1 as games still work fine on it.

>I did post a link listing all the problems for linux on desktop. Is your link a counter argument? If yes, how?
Are you deliberately being this dense? I acknowledged that and I said that the only market Linux and Unix-based systems haven't dominated yet is desktop.

windows cost money that i don't have. i don't want to waste disk space. i don't want to use windows. using and mastering linux already cost me plenty of time, having to master two os is too much for me.

>and as Apple has show us, the answer is NOT to educate the user, but rather to simplify the experience

Yes let's have more stupid people, what could possibly go wrong? Just another reason not to take Linus "The Shill" TechTips seriously.

That's even better, but why would you even pay for Windows at this point? Torrenting exists.

>usable
Not for computer illiterates. If you are one why the fuck are you in Sup Forums?

>games
>willingly using proprietary, anti-user, anti-privacy services that bundle mandatory DRM
You're trash, and your opinion in regards to Linux is utterly worthless (and selfish at that, "muh games"). Install Windows right now and begone.

isn't microsoft dominating the web servers market? IIS is know for having the best performances

Why are you doing this, seriously? And it's not even the first time we went over this...

never i would do that, piracy is plague that should be eradicated at any cost. a global automatic analysis of network packets would be a solution to stop illegal torrenting.

>isn't microsoft dominating the web servers market?
Stop deluding yourself.

t. Actual sysadmin

LinusTechTips in a nutshell:

>Fuck Intel's Core i9 bullshit 300 bucks raid card physical DLC
>2 days later: Editing rig updage video sponsored by Intel where they get 1700 bucks CPU for free

hypocrite

>a global automatic analysis of network packets would be a solution to stop illegal torrenting.
As we can all clearly see thanks to Snowden, that has served us very well.

>t. multi-billion-dollar enterprise shill

I deposited some shekels to your e-wallet

the rig update was probably shot at least 2 weeks ago (editing + it's available 1 week before on floatplane club)

>who
Founder of Linux OS

Those are either delusional or trolling.
Linux is great, just not as a Windows replacement for the general populace.

not every server on the web are part of the "market", many of them are hosted by amateurs themselves.

news.netcraft.com/archives/2017/02/27/february-2017-web-server-survey.html

see the second graph

see

>paying for windows

kys

BUT I JUST SAID THAT I DON'T WANT TO PAY, THIS IS WHY I AM NOT USING WINDOWS (AMONG OTHER REASONS).

Also, what's your problem with paying for windows? It's a product like any other else which is developed by paid workers, not by slaves.

What takes a webserver to be in """the (((market)))"""? Having windows installed?

Nobody needs sudo to check on Facebook. Linus is full of shit.
I get what he's saying, however everything you may want from Windows is there, for free, no BS "editions" for 5x the price. That is important for me. Right now I use Windows Enterprise, think I'll move to Linux soon when there's no more support.

>not every server on the web are part of the "market"
So, how are those included and analysed then?
By having WIndows installed?

Why the fuck should I or anyone else using GNU/Linux care that others find Windows better or easier to use?
I use this OS because of the obvious benefits of free software. I don't expect normies to be this autistic.

But Ubuntu and those fancy hipster GUI distros circumvent all these issues

>I use this OS because of the obvious benefits of free software. I don't expect normies to be this autistic.
When it's become "autistic" to care about privacy and ethics, you know we have a problem.

my english speaking is not good enough to explain that. maybe i should say that it's when the server itself is a product.

What do you think about elementary.io/

Here's the deal. Technology should work for us, we shouldn't have to work for it. In that sense, linux is a complete failure. The ultimate goal for tech is to not notice it.

Linux already has it's time running on the vast majority of user friendly currently computing devices thanks to Android, it might end in a few years of Google actually does something with Fuschia
GNU's time never came though

>I echo back cliche phrases I've heard big brands tell me

>Spend 45mins on computer per day
Of fucking course you shouldn't use linux then.
Despite that, ubuntu is good enough if you just browse or use Skype, watch movies.
Yeah, you have to install codecs, but it's pretty much automated.

Fuschia seems to be more experimental that anything else. It will vanish like plan9 did.

>eceleb thread staying alive
>for such a stupid topic

Something tells me Sup Forums's responsible for this. You faggots always show up in hoards during E3 asking "can you build me gaming PC? cheaper and stronger than console?"

yeah I agree with him on nearly everything.

Mean look at it this way, how many people buy a honda civic vs an wrx.

How many people buy their make up from ultra or the make up aisle from the drug store vs the mac counter?

People who need to use better shit will naturally gravitate towards that stuff.