2FA, Phone Authenticator

So, why would anyone use this shit?
>lose phone
>lose your accounts

Lol!

>not downloading backup codes

weak bait

It is a good way to have security.
You need something only you possess and something only you know.

If you loose your phone, you order a new one, the setback is a week or so without your accounts.
And with google, you only need to use the 2fa once per device, so it is not even a problem in this case.

The only part I dislike about the google 2factor thing is they are too lazy to write long messages.
their current message is:
"g-xxxxxx is your google verification code"
I would prefer if they made a better message, say
"you are accessing on

your code is g-xxxxxx"

This way someone cannot just glance at my phone to see the code, they need to unlock it to view the entire message.
But hey, google is not really doing anything for the benefit of humans, so why would they care?

>I don't have an argument so I'll call it bait

Wew.

Literally lost my phone recently and had this problem. It was literally not a problem.

There's normally a use one time email/text message code for mode things which I then use to set up a new 2step authorisation on new phone/device.

This is obviously after going nuclear on the stolen phone and wiping it.

OP is not talking about SMS 2FA, but the application 2FA.

if someone cared, they could go to the mobile shop, pretend to be you and get a new sim card with your phone number and they'd have access to all your accounts.

an application 2FA prevents this, but the application comes with more risks

/thread

>he thinks those authenticator apps have back up codes

no, you fucktard, that's for your gmail only

the app is tied to the phone, not to the email/operator

>if someone cared, they could go to the mobile shop, pretend to be you and get a new sim card with your phone number
Carriers require photo ID before they will make any changes, disclose any information, or especially issue a new SIM.

>The only part I dislike about the google 2factor thing is they are too lazy to write long messages.
>This way someone cannot just glance at my phone to see the code, they need to unlock it to view the entire message.
Can you explain how this is a problem? What's someone who sees the code gonna do? Guess your email and password and enter the code before you do?

hahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

let me catch my breath.

you know who these mobile shop owners are? immigrants/foreigners, they're actually called mobile kiosks in the west and it's always a turk, arab, slav or nigger behind the counter.

you are seriously delusional if you believe what you just wrote

How would they issue a new SIM card with your current number? If it was that easy, why don't we hear more about it?

That's what I meant too.

I had the app on my old phone with 2fa on a few of my work accounts. Phone was stolen. Killed the phone using bot net powers.

Get a replacement sim card from shop next day and put in a spare phone. Log in to work account and it gives the option to use a different authentication method, like email or text message. Log in and set up the app 2fa on new phone.

Just saying op stating that losing a phone means you lose access is complete horseshit.

holy shit dude, the authenticator is not per device, it's tied to your google account / whatever account. You use the backup codes to get access to the account in order to access the authenticator. Furthermore, most support SMS as a backup just as well, You can easily set it to a spare pre-paid sim or a G-voice account or something similar so you always have an alternative method.

maybe if you use some spic nigger carrier, but any of the ones worth using require info like an SSN to do fuck all with your account, and the number is exclusively held by the carrier you go through unless you specifically release it.

> the authenticator is not per device, it's tied to your google account / whatever account

Uhm sweetie, it's tied to your phone.

The only scenario where they would see the code is when they know my password and they login with it, the 2fa should stop them from getting in.
If it is someone I know, they could attempt to do it when I step away from my phone.
Anyway, my point is that they could insert a couple of newline chars so it couldn't be read without unlocking the phone.
I know there is settings so I can hide the content of notifications, but there is not a setting to only hide it from specific things like that.
My point is google is deliberately worsening security for no reason.

>lose phone with google auth application
>buy new phone
>can't sign in on your google account because you have 2FA
>install google auth application
>start over with new accounts while being locked out of your old accounts

much amaze

>Not making a screenshot of the QR code
>Not converting the QR Code to text
>Not clicking "can't scan it"

fpbp

kek

Not using a synced passwordmanager with TOTP build in

>loose

>not using a phone number of your illiterate father, who you havent seen for 5 years and lives on a different continent
top kek