/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.ca/itm/KING-SEIKO-KS-5626-7113-HI-BEAT-Automatic-Working-Beautiful-Silver-Japan-/302347542883?hash=item4665516163:g:jG8AAOSw8GtZPph2#viTabs_0
ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-KING-SEIKO-45-7000-MANUAL-WINDING-CIRCA-1968-/302349280023?hash=item46656be317:g:smAAAOSwvjdZQMHY
world.tmall.com/item/543875952014.htm?spm=a312a.7700718.1998025129.5.q48Iam)
instwatch.com/
instwatch.com/collections/manhattan-signature/products/gemfield-watch
aliexpress.com/item/2015-Reloj-Men-Creative-Fashion-Men-Necessary-Business-Watch-Luxury-Brand-Leather-Men-Analog-Quartz-Dial/32491740020.html
amazon.com/Tissot-Couturier-Automatic-Chronograph-T035-627-16-031-00/dp/B0029N6K4G/ref=sr_1_17?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1497489820&sr=1-17&nodeID=6358539011&psd=1&keywords=tissot couturier
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm afraid my vintage Aquadive is too big for my wrist.

2nd or 3rd or some shit for anons thinking "fac et aliquid operis, ut semper te diabolus inveniat occupatum." is watch related.

Everyone knows that watches aren't engineered. They evolved over the course of billions of years, from the random collision of quartz, stainless steel, glass etc.

Interdasting.

what am I missing /wt/?

A good watch :^)

Would you say this is worth the price ontario man?

ebay.ca/itm/KING-SEIKO-KS-5626-7113-HI-BEAT-Automatic-Working-Beautiful-Silver-Japan-/302347542883?hash=item4665516163:g:jG8AAOSw8GtZPph2#viTabs_0

A working camera.
And save up and get something worth more than $150.

Taste.

Hey thats a nice design on the top right, what a lovely automatic wat-

oh wait :)

I mean it's a decent price.
Personally, I'd save up for something better. I don't love it.

If you can afford to buy an almost $600 watch, you can def save up for something double that in a decent time frame.

Absolutely not because that is a Suwa Seikosha produced 56xx King Seiko and the 56xx movement is both inferior in general to the Daini Seikosha produced 52xx and also has a plastic gear in the quickset mechanism for the day and date which tends to shrink due to age (rather than wear) and eventually crack, causing the quickset to fail.

Unfortunately, this means eventually its likely that every single 56xx movement with a date or day/date complication is very likely to have the quickset for it eventually fail.

If you want a mid 1970's high grade Seiko automatic I would look for King Seiko 5245, King Seiko 5246 and King Seiko 5256 models. The King Seiko I post here is a 1975 5256-8010, incidentally.

What'd you expect? Honestly.

Also, depending on your risk tolerance you may also want to consider taking a look at Yahoo! Japan Auctions using a proxy bidding service (I use Buyee) as you can often find much better deals over there than on eBay. Just keep in mind that Y! JP has very little buyer protections, especially for a gaijin, and so you should consider it caveat emptor.

Are the 45gs worth looking at?

some chink watches

I want a hi beat though. Is that attainable without the plastic gear?

Lord marvel 36000
Or the 45 if seikoman blesses them (I want his opinion those)

Can anyone id this watch for me?

/fa/

Girlfriends watch

I already commented on this the other day dont rub it in

lmao nigga your girlfriend porky

:^)

Is this what you mean by 45GS??

ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-KING-SEIKO-45-7000-MANUAL-WINDING-CIRCA-1968-/302349280023?hash=item46656be317:g:smAAAOSwvjdZQMHY

T841024, by 维杰豪兹 or Vager Hauers depending on how you feel like spelling it.
(world.tmall.com/item/543875952014.htm?spm=a312a.7700718.1998025129.5.q48Iam)

They also make a moonphase, and some other decent-looking ones. They use either Miyota, ETA, or Seagull movements.

how are you supposed to read that?
>ah yes, is chink minus chong

are battery powered watches worth it? I'm thinking about getting a Swatch Random Ghost, or a Swatch Jellyfish (yeah, just because I like their style). Also, how durable might the outsides of a plastic """"""vintage""""" watch be?

The large subdial is essentially a 24-hour subdial, based on the 12 periods that were used in classical chinese timekeeping, 2 hours per period. The symbols are the same as the zodiac, since both of those, as well as their cardinal directions, were all based off the orbit of Jupiter.
The small subdial is seconds, the main hands are for hours and minutes. Not that you even need numbers to figure out the time, but the number markings on the seconds subdial are the same as Japanese.

How long am I expected to keep my SARB033 going without maintenance work?

Some people say 5 years, but some people say 15 years?

its a fucking 300 dollar watch.. who gives a fuck? You gonna go pay someone 150 dollars to service a 300 dollar watch? buy a new 6r15 in 10 years and replace the movement.

Is this shit legit? Only pay for shipping (~$14).
I am at checkout and will use Paypal so I think I'm safe if it's a scam, but I'm not really looking to put my address in if it is fake.

instwatch.com/

>$0

Thier facebook says they do monthly giveaways, but it's only been up for a few months.

You're still getting ripped off as far as the price, but that is a legitimate business strategy.

The Jet Black 2 Watch looks pretty decent for a guy that literally doesn't own a watch.

That one as well as a number of the others on the website are straight off of alibaba/aliexpress. If you want chinkshit, you should at least try to get it through as few middlemen as possible.

Googling further the CEO did an AMA on reddit. Someone called him out on this as well.

As they damn-well should.

Here is their "$75" 'Gemfield', which I think illustrates it the best.
instwatch.com/collections/manhattan-signature/products/gemfield-watch

aliexpress.com/item/2015-Reloj-Men-Creative-Fashion-Men-Necessary-Business-Watch-Luxury-Brand-Leather-Men-Analog-Quartz-Dial/32491740020.html

lmao, so is like DW reselling chinkshit at premium prices

This autism

>shoop the stock photo to move the minute hand
>forget to shoop the seconds hand back in

kek

Do you think I'm kidding? That is a loaf of an arm

I'd say they put in a bit less effort than DW, but the general idea is the same. They are also going for smaller margins on each transaction, but seem to be spending less on marketing.

Looks like the guys calling him out on reddit are right, buying cheap shit and making a profit off shipping.

Has anyone been to TGV's facebook group? It's pretty kek worthy.

>Guys which Sitenshit or Squale GMT Master homage should I buy?
>Guys my Orient BambinoRayShitter broke when i bumped my arm into thin air what should I do?
>Guys I bought this totally legit Submariner for $4500 with no papers, I have a suspicion it may be fake :(

>buying a rolex sub with no papers

>Nomos on eBay for suspiciously low price
>inquire about service history etc
>watch runs fine
>prod deeper
>gains about 35 seconds per day

Runs fine

Where the fuck is Nineball at these days

I have $650 to buy a watch what do I buy guys.

Skx and save the rest for something worth handing down to your kid one day.

Why, so he can shill GS?

>having children
lmao@your life drone

amazon.com/Tissot-Couturier-Automatic-Chronograph-T035-627-16-031-00/dp/B0029N6K4G/ref=sr_1_17?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1497489820&sr=1-17&nodeID=6358539011&psd=1&keywords=tissot couturier

Hi-Beat as in 36,000 bph? Back in the 1970's Seiko used the Hi-Beat terminology for both 28,800bph automatics and 36,000bph movements.

The Daini Seikosha produced 45xx Grand Seiko and King Seiko models (all 45xx movement GS and KS models were produced by Daini Seikosha using the same movement with the only changes being date vs no-date and level of adjustment) are amongst the most inherently accurate series produced mechanical movements designed and manufactured in the pre-quartz era.

Remember that Daini Seikosha produced 45GS models are the ones that BTFO'd the Swiss and ended the Swiss Chronometer trials, as well as being one of only two production watches EVER to achieve Astronomical Observatory Chronometer certification.

That being said, the 45xx movement was designed for accuracy above all else, and history has shown that these movements have some excess wear issues and also need frequent and punctual servicing to be kept at their best. Buying one today involves a readiness to accept that it will likely eventually need the occasional donor movement to keep it running at its best.

The Lord Marvel 5740C, on the other hand, was produced by Suwa Seikosha and is probably the best movement design by Suwa in the pre-quartz period as it doesn't have any of the inherent flaws that have tended to marr their other movements. They were also produced over a long period and thus can typically be found at decent prices and there are no worries of parts availability ever becoming an issue.

On the other hand, the 5740C lacks hacking, which is really a shame in such a fundamentally sound and highly accurate watch. Just as an example of how good the design is, my local watchmaker (who has worked on hundreds of different movements over the years) was blown away by it and said it was one of the most accurate movements he's ever seen.

2-3 fake subs.
Sell them to people on the TVG facebook page, and then buy yourself something in the 10k+ range.

Thoughts?
I'm looking for a watch that is translucent peach color, I want to give it the "illusion" that I'm not wearing a watch band, but just have the watch face on my wrist.

Mail day.

Can anyone translate that ?

What the fuck

It says thank you for not buying a vostok.

this is to mod a vostok...

I have the following. From most worn to least worn.

Grand Seiko SBGT037
Nomos Metro Gangreserve
Tudor North Flag
Omega Speedmaster Professional Sapphire
Casio G-Shock GW5600J-1
Seiko SKX013

I can give you my opinions on them if you're considering a purchase of any one of those models.

it says thank you for buying a shitter you are welcome.

Yes I meant 36,000 thank you. So the Lord Marvel does NOT have the flaw of needing heavy servicing? I am trying to find one quick as I am going to Toronto soon and want him (we're talking about the same person) to service it if I can get it before then.

honest opinions on Nomos as a brand and the North flag. Please address these points:

I have never seen a Nomos in person but in photos they look cheap to me. How do they feel in person and how satisfied with it are you?

The north flag has a very interseting design ... some hate it some love it. What has been your experience with normies & that watch (if any, no one usually cares about watches)

Nice collection, close to my heart.

bph?

Redpill me on the Metro.

It strikes me as a great business casual watch for the office, very legible but also interesting enough dial to be pleasant to look at.

Does it wear huge?
How's the finishing? Accuracy?
Would you wear it more often if it was automatic?

$305 buy it now used cocktail time on ebay right now. flawless.

i'd snap it up fags, but i'm saving for a speedy.

Beats per hour. How many times it ticks per hour.

No, the Lord Marvel is apparently very reliable and has no inherent vices, and shouldn't need any more servicing than every ~5 years. It's probably Suwa's best movement design in that era, honestly.

You can get examples in extremely good condition for ~$500, slightly less for non-linen dial versions. And that watchmaker in Toronto absolutely raves about them.

Hi, I need your exclusive advice on Speedies. You've given me precious advice on Speedmasters, and movements (Lemania, 3570.50), and models, MKII vs Pro.

Please do let me know when you're in.

now this is the infamous 36000bph?

I can say that my LM () was running very accurately despite not being serviced in who knows how many years. I've since gotten it serviced of course.

Did you cop off ebay?

I'm here, what do you wanna ask?

Yahoo auctions, actually.

The steel cases of the Nomos are definitely not worthy of a watch in the price range. It does feel cheap.

The rest of the watch however is lovely. The movement is beautiful and pretty accurate. the dial, hands and strap are excellent.

The model I have is super comfortable and goes well with just about everything. It. Wears larger than it is. It's 37mm but looks like 40.

FYI on the Nomos, it does not have a quick date set feature. It's a pain to advance the date if you haven't worn it in a week or two. You have to move back and forth between 9 and 1.

With the North Flag Tudor really went all in with the concept of a tool watch. It's entirely utilitarian. Not meant to be classic like the Rolex Explorer.

It's built tough, it looks tough. It's not a dress watch. It's extremely legible, which I love.
The movement isn't pretty, but it's extremely accurate. Their in house movement does not fuck around. Like the Nomos, it has a 70 hour power reserve, which is a god send.

The quick date change feature is also handy.

I wish Tudor had made it in 38mm, but the sharp angles on it help it look smaller.

Normies seem to like my Tudor.

It's a thick watch though.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the finishing of the quartz GS model, the Nomos, the Tudor and the Omega.

I've heard that the quartz GS models aren't finished to the same standards as the mechanical and spring drive models. I'm also curious how the Omega compares to the rest because all the modern Omega's I've handled in person have been shockingly poorly finished for their pricepoint. Does the MOTFM at least hold up to its pricepoint?

Does the date on the nomos turn over exactly at midnight?

See I think the Nomos Metro Gangreserve is overpriced by $500 or so. You shouldn't pay full price far it.

The power reserve on it is so long that it doesn't bother me that it's a hand wound.

I wish all watches had a 3 day minimum. It's a great feature.

Nevermind the Nomos then, as you've just covered it.

well I love the Mk11. I think I've chosen the pro however, your recommendation to be exact 3570.50.

for an excellent one, how much can I expect to spend (for a good deal, being patient and waiting)?

No, a little after midnight

I was going to buy a nomos Zurich. it's too large.

I don't like any other nomos models.

Nomos doesnt quick set date what the FUCK

The finishing on my quartz GS shits all over the other watches.

I'm not exaggerating. This terrible photo doesn't do it justice.

The quality of the Speedmasters strap is extremely underwhelming. It scratches like a $50 chinese watch. The case is fine though.

The Nomos has a cheap feeling case. The dial and hands are good though.

The Tudor has a very well made casing and strap. The strap feels just like a Rolex strap.

I'm underwhelmed by my tudor's finish, but I love the detail of the indices/dial, and comfort, looks overall

is the speedy bracelet really garbage??

Yeah, that's pretty consistent with what I expected to hear. I handled a $4,000 Aqua Terra up close and was absolutely shocked at how cheap it felt in terms of case/dial/hands and especially bracelet finishing. The finishing was literally and unironically inferior to my Seiko Brightz SDGM003.

I've handled a Pelagos up close and found the finishing to be quite good, but GS is obviously a whole different story given the absurd amount of labour Seiko lavishes on ~5,000 watches a year.

I've heard omegas (some) have abysmal finish for the money :/

The clasp basically gets a scratch every time I wear it, and that's with regular office wear.

It's so bad that I've stopped wearing it because I fear that it'll get so bad no one would want to buy it in the future.

Meanwhile I wear my GS almost every day and it still looks like it just came out of the factory. Not one single scratch on the clasp, or anywhere else.

Why not just get a see-through one? You're probably not going to be able to get your skin tone.

I always thought The Beast was the most perfect blend of audacious style, class, and oustanding engineering.

I love this watch more than any other.

Yes, though I though there were some daini gs-branded watches (with medallion and everything) with that movement, including the vfa watches.

taka orda prs

Hey user who ordered a GMT117USA, check in

Damage control :^)

I don't know the used market for the MOTFM that well but I'll poke my head around a few places and let you know what I see when I have a chance.