/hpg/ - Headphone General

>/Hpg/ Pastebin:
pastebin.com/u/hpg

Please put some effort into your requests and questions and keep shilling to a minimum.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.4984044
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
whathifi.com/dali/zensor-3/review
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Based lewd OP awakens

Glad to see a proper thread.

I love you Chihaya!

Post em

No waifu slot? WTF with this template.

Is this going to be deleted too?

for gaming and movies which one's better, AKG712 pro or monolith m1060?
i currently have and ODAC/O2 amp/dac, is that enough to drive the AKG's?

K712 and yes

thanks!

is it really too lewd?
would pic related be more appropriated?

Request template:

>Budget
>Location
>Source
>Type of headphone
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
>Sound signature
>Past headphones

>Budget - up to $350, possibly $400
>Location -Australia
>Source - PC
>Type of headphone - Wireless if possible
>Open or closed - closed
>Comfort level - comfy enough
>Sound signature - Neutral
>Past headphones - Crappy gaymen headset

Why is she so flat?

Save me.

Return that usb DAC immediately. They've been compromised by chinkshit.

Wasn't that only the Sabrient that had the chink chip-set change which caused lower voltage?

This thread is the HD600 to the other threads HD598. The MSR7 to their M50x. The HE400i to their HE350. The K712 to their K702. The MDR-1000X to their MDR-100ABN. This thread is the true thread, the real thread.

No, its been swapped out with the exact same chipset on 5 other usb DACs too. You're also putting your 598's in that thing so you'll be getting lower volumes and shittier sound along with the mic.

Why do my msr7's have a raised plastic edge on the right earcup? it makes it really uncomfortable

The headphone is fine; this is the sennheiser hd 598 cs which are not only easy to drive but also don't produce white noise unless the mic is plugged in. The thread "USB dongles for Mod Mic users and others" indicates that the syba usb adapter as early as January 2017 still eliminates white noise without problem.

Onboard audio is Realtek ALC 887, and I know that there is talk that realtek has compatibility issues with the modmic (I even updated it to the latest manufacturer driver).

Honestly if this doesn't work then the only options I can think of is a 100 dollar dac/amp with mic input, xonar dsx soundcard, or a new mic.

Maybe you can do a little cleaning?

You've got anything to say about those kz zs3? Been in my sight for a while. Also want to try these Pioneer SE-A1000.

They don't compete with anything else on that picture in terms of sound. Comfy for IEMs though.

Whats the difference between a DAC and a soundcard?

A soundcard is a DAC. If it doesn't exclusively have line level outputs it would have an amp of some type on it too.

m1060 or he400i for babbys first planar?
I've lost hope that the PM3 will price drop

bose and ultrasone?

I definately see the ultrasone, I can't quite place the bose tho.

Sound cards synthesize sound and can add effects to the samples. DACs only change analog signals into digital which is why they bypass the interference inside of the computer; removing white noise (that static you hear in people's mics/your headphones).

I guess my reply got lost in a previous thread, but would a O2+odac be a significant upgrade to the Fulla 2 should I decide I need more power? I don't want a Schiit Stack since I don't have space for it.

Probably easier to get a Magni2 and use the Fulla2 as the DAC.

How much power that you need? Aside from arguably planar and electrostats, O2 is already fine for almost everything. Heck, I even bought some resistor so I can tune my volume easier for some IEMs.

Who are these semen demons?

I hope this is the right place to ask. I want to play some vidya and have an ATXM50x and am borrowing a Razer headset with their 7.1 surround sound. Are the M50s going to end up being better or the Razer. My friend let me borrow the Razers to test before I buy.also the M50s are 3.5mm jack not USB

The M50s are going to be multiple times better. No contest.

You've got something to say about k702s?

Never heard them. Apparently they sound the same as the K701 though.

>KZ ZS3
>Has picture of ZST
nigga what

oops

M1060 is a bit better, especially once modded. 400i is pretty bad. Also, M1060 has a 5 year warranty if shit gets fucked. Hifiman's build is one thing, but the fact that they are so shit at helping people after their product breaks is just plain dirty. Monoprice actually has decent customer service.

Tho honestly, both are bested by a HD600/650. If you can, look for a used HE560.

M1060 is only really worth it when modded imo. Audeze vegan pads add another $70 USD + ~$20 or so for modding materials. 400i is just eh.

>M1060
Very technically flawed headphone, I'd call it unlistenable. And you can't fix it with EQ. Avoid.

Can you tell me how 400i compares to HD600? Especially for weeb music.

Most weeb music is really badly mastered, especially idol music. That stuff tends to sound better on the HD600 due to the slightly recessed treble. For stuff that's well mastered, it's a toss up. For stuff with any sort of bass emphasis, I refuse to listen to it with the HD600.

So if I only listen to Vocaloid shit HD600 should be good enough, yes?

You might want to look into something with even more recessed treble. Lots of vocaloid songs sound harsh even on HD600s.

>HD600
Are excellent all-rounders, and particularly good at female vocals and strings.
>alternative cans
Might sound better to some people at some specific niches, but as all-rounders they just lose.

>Budget
>Source
Samsung S7, iPod touch 3rd gen
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Moderate (2 hours at least)
>Sound signature
Bassy or V-shaped
>Past headphones
Piston 3s, Sony XB500, Symphonized NRG, SOL Tracks (got them for $15, not bad at all for on ear)

I'd prefer a removable single side cable, but that isn't necessary. I'd also prefer a braided cable. A braided cable is much more important if I can't remove the cord. A right angle plug would be nice as well.
My Sony XB500s just shit their pants after 4 years of consistent use. Great headphones, but the cord was annoying as fuck and they looked like I had tires glued to my ears. I'd prefer something that won't attract a ton of attention in public or at least looks nice (like the M40).

sony mdr 100AAPL

Seems like a good fit but they're around $50 over my max budget. I found ones on eBay new for $100 but they're only in the blue or red, which are honestly two of the worst shades of blue and red I've seen in a while.

Interesting study which was recently published.

>No correlation between headphone frequency response and retail price

>web article
asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.4984044
>pdf of the article
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044

>In total, measurements for 283 headphones
[in-ear (IE), supra-aural (SA), and circumaural (CA)] were acquired.
>Based on the evaluation of the mean, variance, PCA, and mean square error with
respect to a target function, no correlation could be observed between the measured
magnitude response and retail price of headphones.

I bet you'd get the same results with 2 channel loudspeaker setups.

Probably, after a certain price point. Loudspeakers aren't as cheap to produce as headphones. Proper enclosures, drivers, crossover components add up and they have to make a profit, too.

Flat(HD600) is justice.

HD600 has bad bass roll off. Its driver is also oppai shaped to some extent. Planars are the true justice.

I'd expect that too but I also think you wouldn't find a variance consistently this large.

You'd be surprised m8.

How come akg is the only company who can make headphones that sound and look sexy at the same time?

We'd need that study tbqh.

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder.

Hasn't AKG sound changed in the recent years though? I've listened to their K701 and K551 a good bit back in the day, and recently got K845BT also. The last one sounds way bassier than the other two.

>he fell for the wireless meme

I didn't get wireless for sound quality. I got it exactly because I want it to be wireless. I've got enough wired headphones as-is.

Why are you criticizing a headphone for its sound quality if you got it for a gimmick?

>no vag showing
I want the real OP back.

This. I really don't get how anyone can think HD598 and HD600 look good.

I didn't say it's worse. Just different.

AKG stuff doesn't sound that good in my opinon. Regardless, other companies like OPPO and Sony can make good shit.

Yeah they make all of their new stuff in chinkland.

I can't find a fault with this setup. What speakers do you use?

Foobar2000 and Spotify
ODAC+O2 combo
HD 800, Etymotic ER-4S

I've been lusting after Focal Elear recently, but can't really justify getting any more headphones for myself at the moment.

Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless

DACs are external soundcards, the advantage is that by being outside your pc they're not affected by whathever EM interference from the rest of the pc resulting in a cleaner signal

Just sell some of your shit, there's no way you use all of those pairs of headphones. (If you actually do, I'm genuinely curious as to what you use each headphone for).

has anyone tried the Hifiman Edition S?

Any idea which graph should I based on for EQ'ing? Its feels kinda off-putting when I EQ'd the colored ones.

HE560 is for general use, RS1i for mostly metal music, Focal Spirit Pro for gaming when sound is important. DT1350 seems to work the best with a VR headset. QC25 is the go-to portable headphone, with Focal Sphear being the IEM backup when I need sunglasses. K845 is for portable home use when doing household chores. The rest I don't honestly use too much anymore.

>graph
You can do it with any. Just need to know your target and what sort of compensation was used. If you don't have a target, don't look at any graph in detail and just go straight to the final part of equalizing the headphones with sine sweep as a reference.

What is the second best headphone ever made behind the HD600?

regrettably I am nigger tier poor

I got these headphones on sale 5 years ago, motherboard from a friend 4free

I hope to get a riser cable soon so I can use my SBLive! CT4780, which is pretty good. (The motherboard's design causes the PCI slot to be physically obscured/obstructed by a plus-size PCIe x16 card.)

(neglected peectchyur)

Don't ever post waifu2x'd images again.

Any opinions on the Pioneer HRM-7?
Can get a good deal on them. Trying to make up my mind between those, Beyer DT 770 pro's, Audio Technica ath-m50x/m40x or Sony's 7506's.

oh no
you're retarded

why no snow halation
well, Start: DASH!! is really lovely too

I've been saying for years that KSC75 literally sound better than most headphones at any price range. Not surprising.
>mfw

Debatable if that ortho-wall is audible. A few mods to fix it anyway.

If you look at that slope and its dB, you can see that it will most likely last long enough for the human ear to perceive a difference. It's "debatable" but just barely.

I concur. Flat is justice.
HD600 ftw

Snow Halation is stupidly popular.
Yet datte datte aa mujou is the best.

I like Susume->Tomorrow from that album the most.

Elears suck. They're a HD650 with exaggerated flaws and better bass, build and comfort. Either save up for a Utopia or go for something else.

Use raw measurements.

Dali Zensor 3's. Glorious.

whathifi.com/dali/zensor-3/review

Is the NFB-11 guy from before here? Why'd you say it's superior to the schiit uber stack?

Too poor at the momemt, shit just works.

OP is doing god's work. Well played.