Why does PulseAudio suck so much?

Why does PulseAudio suck so much?

The audio stutters randomly in all of my laptops and even on my main PC with an external Scarlett audio card

Are there any solutions/alternatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture/Troubleshooting
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230750&s=b6461b631ce9913320c2f9e832b17926&p=13058046#post13058046
sarracenia.com/faq/faq5120.html
reddit.com/r/technology/
askubuntu.com/questions/581128/what-is-the-relation-between-alsa-and-pulseaudio-sound-architecture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it a scarlett 2i2? It took forever to get mine to stop popping

And lemme guess... Arch?

Are you sure its not disk io maxing out.

Yes, it's a scarlett 2i2

And it pops in mint, ubuntu, manjaro EVERY FUCKING DISTRO

I don't think so since I use an SSD. Also I tried fixing it reducing the I/Os (I read it somewhere) but it still works like shit

You're in luck OP, I JUST got that bullshit fixed today. I'm using Manjaro

Look at it when you playback a video. Does it turn on then turn off after the vid finishes? Then you have my issue - basically some tard power management program is telling your USB ports to save power by turning shit off: here's two possible fixes:

>Go to /etc/modprobe.d folder
>using su/sudo, create a .conf file (you can copy the mhwdgpu.conf that's already in there, erase it's insides, and rename it) called "audio_powersave.conf"
>use su/sudo to open a text editor that will open the file, type this in: options snd_hda_intel power_save=0
>save

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture/Troubleshooting

^ find "powersaving" if my instructions for the above are unclear. This part didn't fix it for me but it may for you, depends on what power manager you have installed

If that doesn't fix it then check if you have Powertop installed (pic related). Open a terminal and run powertop, tab+shift over to "Tunables" and set

>Autosuspend for USB device Scarlett 2i2 USB [Focusrite] from GOOD to BAD

That fixed it for me.

I still have to fire up powertop to set it to bad every time I reboot but it's better than nothing. Maybe another user can elaborate with a better solution. I've tried uninstalling powertop but the problem would come back.

And if you don't have powertop installed, try installing powertop and doing the above

>2017
>install Linux
>audio still doesn't work properly
>reinstall Windows

Thanks, I hope it works

But I still have to find a solution for my laptops with realtek sound hardware

Stay away from Linux, we are full.

No problem, let us know how it goes

>ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230750&s=b6461b631ce9913320c2f9e832b17926&p=13058046#post13058046

The first solution may work for your realtek problems.

Lennartware

Those are some cool looking carnivorous plants.

try arch with alsa?

sarracenia.com/faq/faq5120.html

here's some more

What the fuck are those nightmare plants? Disgusting.

Make sure the correct sound output is selected. I'm using an external dac and somehow I still get audio with the wrong output selected, but I get pops until I switch it.

This is through the sound applet on gnome-panel, but switching using pavucontrol may have the same effect.

But user, it supports printers from 1995! With minor user-end driver compilation! Just 45 minutes of command line faggotry!

>firefox 54 requires pulse

>PulseAudio
Get a distro that does it right, out of the box.
Trying to fuck around with it to solve something just isn't worth the time it takes.

Wait- what's wrong with pulse? It's been a lot better than straight ALSA for me

ALSA is not a source mixer

>using poetteringware
>>>/reddit.com/r/technology/

>alsamixer

I don't hate pulse that much, but once it starts having an issue, it immediately has to be such a fucking nightmare to go and fix whatever is wrong.
So yea, I basically keep it if the distro uses it by default, and I don't fuck around with it so it keeps working.

askubuntu.com/questions/581128/what-is-the-relation-between-alsa-and-pulseaudio-sound-architecture

Anyway, you dumb redditors don't know JACK

thank you for the info

t. redditor

ALSA + dmix, or JACK

Why can't linux into simple audio but microsoft can?

Subtle shill

your user needs to be in the audio group you fucking idiot

>That's what you get for using linux
Just change to a superior OS that you can actually get work done

same as with systemd, it's nice as long as everything is working but if there's an error somewhere you better don't have plans for the weekend (even if it's just fapping)

Because Lennart

>USB soundcard
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Why JACK is not the default GNU/Linux sound server?

Windows doesn't have this problem :^)

how about you
man pulseaudio
before you start being a helpless bitch on a Kantonese kayaking forum?

The efficiency of GNU/Linux relies on the user

Install Gentoo and use dmix

Install an old sound card, or a new old card that works over a PCIe bridge and use the hardware mixer.