If vinyl records could be revived by hipsters, do you think the same will happen with CRTs...

If vinyl records could be revived by hipsters, do you think the same will happen with CRTs? Poor souls have become so used to inferior panel displays with ghosting, terrible contrast, and no black.

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/883870/is-amoled-screen-burn-fast-aging-in-still-an-issue
forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/410862-burn.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's already happening, take a peek at /vr/

Just use CRT if you want to, fa.m

My main TV is still a '98 B&O Beovision mx6000. Crt, 4:3, curved over both axis. Shit is cash.

No. CRTs are heavy, complicated, and dangerous to manufacture and handle.

Leave this website, kid. It's dangerous.

CRTs will never become mainstream due to high energy consumption and their large size and weight. I will most likely switch from CRTs once OLED displays are cheaper but still keep my trinitron and nokia for retro vidya.
pic related

kek, it's funny how actually weight is a huge matter in this case, you see sissy arms' faggota complaining all the time that "this notebook is too heavy, 4lbs iss too much and I get tired for carrying! ;_;"

>revive CRT

But they're still in production, you can still buy new ones, there's nothing to revive.

>what is convenience?
People want to be able to carry their televisions easily when necessary.
The days of needing at least 2 people to carry a 36" 220lbs trinitron are long gone.

Where from?

Some chink factories still make a few for sale in the Third World.

stop making threads and shilling, autismo. they're shit, curvature makes it horrible, colors are worse than quality lcd ones while contrast and blacks are fine enough. also take too much space and weigh too much. btw oled is a huge meme which is trash too

alibaba etc ask in chink shit general

You can't buy a new CRT in a First World cunt anywhere though.

>terrible contrast, and no black.
oled

Smash melee people still use them

>oled

Enjoy your burn-ins and color tint after one or two years

All my CRT broke unlike my LCDs. Kept getting weird grey strobing bars go up and down the screen on one. Had to keep bashing side to temporarily fix it.

>burn-ins
also happens to crt.
>color tint after two years
on newish oled screens?

He's a bit over the top but yeah, burn in happens with both (google it and you'll find examples on which it happened in a couple months old smartphones).
Problem is that the LED segments in the display age differently. Forgot which one but I think the blue ones fade the quickest.

Not sure how much development went into this by now but it was quite a big problem in 2014/15 when I looked into this.

my S4's display is fine, it has a very, very faint bit of screen burn, which was there when i got it second hand in 2014
that said, i don't use my cellphone as much as some people, i also keep the brightness minimal and have the color temp adjust at night (reducing blue light, therefore also reducing load on blue subpixels)

i had a galaxy s2 until recently. i used it over five years on a daily basis.

i dont say burn ins or color tints arent a problem. But i never noticed it on my phone, which had some of the earliest commercial oled displays.

I think it is fair to say that it is the best tech we have so far.

The PVM meme isn't an indicator that this has already begun to reach critical mass?

What we need is 10-bit GPU ADC with FreeSync-like feature to send native anime out VGA/DVI-A ports to a CRT monitor

Is any manufacturer making CRTs for enthusiasts yet?

Who the fuck is carrying their TV around so frequently?

Good to know.

Maybe this only happens on phones that have the brightness on 100% all the time.
For example I have my phone usually set quite dim because 100% burns like the light of 1000 suns

if you use your phone constantly, displaying (almost) the same thing, with a high contrast image, at 100% brightness
it'll reduce the life of the display for sure
the same rules apply to CRT's, though

if it's something that displays a static image all day, oled (and crt) isn't a good idea, use lcds for that, otherwise, treat it well and it'll last long enough

>it'll reduce the life of the display
specifically, i mean you'll get noticable burn sooner

superuser.com/questions/883870/is-amoled-screen-burn-fast-aging-in-still-an-issue

it looks like there was really an issue with this. but after one week 4hours/day already burn ins? looks more like some problems during manufacturing.
ill take a look on my oldphone.

-- oh, and by very faint, i'm talking when displaying a solid, neutral, light colour, if you look real close you can tell it's not completely a solid colour
to be honest, backlight bleed from lcd's (and even crt reflection when displaying bright images) is FAR worse than what i've got here, as far as making a solid colour not appear solid

A little known brand called Sony did make some stuff for enthusiasts, good quality stuff. A smaller and practically unknown brand called ViewSonic also made some good tubes.

lmao, that dude in the links who wanted to show screen burn in by posting a screenshot

forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/410862-burn.html

>Edit: looks like I'll need to take a photo. I may realized a screen shot won't show it.

>A smaller and practically unknown brand called ViewSonic
is this sarcasm?

You sure got me. By 'yet' I was implying the question was being made in the post CRT era as in 'is any manufacturer currently producing CRTs for CRT enthusiasts in the year 2017.'

I'm still used to somewhat old TVs. Had a CRT until recently and switched to a 32" early LCD. Housemate has a 42" plasma that weights a ton.
I was perplexed by how light my dad's new 48" LCD TV was. It weights practically nothing. Amazing really.

This the manufacturing process is gone. LCDs are way too cheap to make. Also fixing them is a breeze. I loved plasma until the first time I had to fix one.

No one will make crts anymore best hope is new better tech.

okay i turned my old s2 on, loaded a white bg, 100% brightness.
Didnt see anything.
turned the top bar to the side.
and there i could see pic. just really faintly. i couldnt see it anymore when i lowered the brightness.
loaded pic in photoshop and tweaked everything to make it much more present.

have you tried carrying a modern 50"+ lcd/oled tv by yourself?
it's not practical either, just for different reasons

similar kind of thing as i get on my S4, it's screen burn, but too faint to detract from anything

actually, mine might be less, maybe
i can only see mine in a dark room, and not on 100% brightness, as that's just blinding
rather minimum brightness, though i don't know if there's a brightness difference between the S2 and S4

I want to buy a NEW crt. Dont want to go hunting flea markets or deal with people. Where can I buy one online?

alibaba, enjoy your cheap 3rd world country shit.

>blurry
>skewed image
>radiation

>radiation
A cellphone emits more.

good to know, thanks.

I work at a place that refurbishes phones. You be surprised how many s6 and s7 have burn in. It's usually the status bar or app icons. There was a s7 active that had the Facebook app ui burned into it. It's just the normies that burn in amoled screens.

>tfw third world country
>tfw nearby grocery store sells chink-branded CRTs among chink-branded LCDs

Plasma is where it's at.
My 2011 plasma is still better than any LCD and OLED I ever saw.

the 600Hz refresh rate itself is beyond great.

Are CRTs tat much cheaper? Do you remember any brands? That piqued my curiosity.

if you believe that then i'd say you haven't seen any OLED tv's

I remember Pensonic being one of the brands among the TVs being sold but I don't remember if it was specificallyt that brand that had the CRT TVs. Also, they're literally the cheapest TVs among the available offerings.

they cost more to make and more to ship, so if they're cheaper that's kind of an unmarked clearance sale

crts are already a hipster thing, good luck finding old PVMs etc for a price near where they were in the late '00s. someone will probably do new production when the used market truly goes dry, and they will probably be priced bullshit high because that will be what's necessary to justify a production line.

I doubt you could manufacture or sell brand new CRTs in the US with current regulations, outside of maybe professional sectors.

I have an old CRT in my bedroom. It an okay but not better than my LCD.

CRTs weren't originally designed for static images, they were intended to show TV broadcasts. Using them as a computer display does expose some inherent flaws in the technology such as screen burn and flicker that are not an issue when viewing moving images. For static displays, there is no reason to choose them over an LCD.

that's what i said

If it fell on you will you die?

It would be extremely painful...

Reminder that we were this [--] close to "flat" crt monitors which would still btfo panels we have today but they were too late.

Not röntgen radiation though

I remember switching on the old CRT monitors and looking back seeing the shadow of your skeleton on the wall, was pretty spooky as a kid.

Holy fuck, does things are still expensive as shit even today. Great taste tho

I don't have a problem with weight so much as with depth. U can't find a decent sized CRT with the depth of 40 cm or less. We don't all have nice cosy houses with rooms to let our autism run free..

S-something about this doesn't sound quite right, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

I can get them for free. Jelly?

That has been solved ages ago by just using white LEDs and a colour filter. However the technology is still not without its drawbacks.

I wish plasma were still around

In all the millions of hours I spent using CRT TVs and monitors, I never once recall that happening.

Nah, CRT is too heavy for hipster to lift.

This, retrogamers are snatching every fucking Sony PVM on the planet while they can, now that they figured out how to get RGB out of their consoles.

But they're cheap low end shit and nothing like a quality Triniton/Wega.

Surprised Sony hasn't restarted production. You'd think they'd notice this demand by now.

New PVMs cost $10,000. No nerd is going to pay that just to play some old video games.

This would be incredibly expensive
Maybe when used PVM/BVMs are 2k a pop

>implying most of that number isn't just markup
Also don't forget that we have better production technology today.

>$10,000
Maybe for a top of the line large movie production monitor or something. Basic PVMs were nowhere near that expensive.

/vr/ is buying all Trinitrons they can find

Don't think so, only people I see that have interest in CRT are retro "gamers"

>terrible contrast, and no black
That was talking about CRT, right? Because that's actually a fact, although the retarded hipsters don't grasp it.

We don't produce CRTs today

Honestly I'm sure they'll make some kind of a comeback, even fucking cassettes have made a small comeback due to hipsters. I unironically enjoy vaporwave and love glitch art, so I'm thinking of getting one, just as a cheap second monitor. I use low res in general anyway, I have a 1920 144hz monitor and I play csgo in 800x600 lel. My desktop is at 1280x800 because I don't like how small everything is at higher res. My dad's desktop is 4k and I have to squint to read anything
T. 4eyes

I want those times back when anime/mango wasn't exclusively used for lowest quality shitposting

I heard there are lots of CRTs, even expensive Sony ones available in Fukushima

Should i be worried if my CRT is ticking every now and then and image distorts?

>Should i be worried

Yes.

16 fucking kilovolts are jumping somewhere where they don't belong.
This could be caused by faulty parts like a failing cap or dirt/dust.

If you want to stay healthy and also keep your crt working a bit longer, look into fixing this shit.
If you don't know how to do it, get it done by some pro.
High voltage stays in the circuits of CRTs a long time so don't get the idea of just turning it off and then poking around inside with a brush.

Actually i was thinking of canned air and a hand vacum.

Well if the plastic parts are long enough (hand vacuum tip and the canned air straw) then you should be fine.
I'd let the thing sit for a couple hours disconnected from power and switched on to be on the safer side

Its been off for a month i barely use it.

Sounds good.
Good luck

Are the picture tubes in these TV's brand new, or are they some new old stock that they're just using up?

i carried my 55" up and down 3 flights of stairs multiple times by myself last time I moved. Way fucking easier than a crt. I was almost crushed by a 40"+ crt when I was a kid.

Ignorant here:
Why CRTs can't be thin as the current LCDs?

Some comfy CRT action going on here!

CRTs are obsolete now that OLED displays are becoming mainstream.

>CRT
>black levels

What the FUCK am I reading?

the whole principle crts are based on makes it near impossible. but that stuff is all on wikipedia