/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rewriting the linux kernel in haskell

Doing Clojure.

Mastering algorithms with C

>30 min bootup
>30 min to get to desktop
>5 minutes to open /dpt/

writing a intro to JS class for high schoolers

>press power button
>fans rev up
>nothing happens

Testing the effectiveness of fnv hashing.

Out of 7454980 strings I tested, there were 3544 collisions

segfaulting everywhere like a true champion

CS homework

what happens if unhosted code issues an illegal instruction? since there's nothing more privileged running to issue a sigill, would the cpu just try to activate the appropriate subcircuits anyway and then short out because they're not made to work together like that?

Working on interpreters for assignments.

The CPU will still issue an exception

Upgrading (rewriting) my company's entire suite of webapps from Vue 1 to Vue 2 by myself. There's 3 different sites (luckily all with similar functionality), but I wasn't around when they developed it initially. There's hardly any documentation, and almost everything was done using "clever" javascript tricks that are hard to follow. There's no one else on the development team. It's just me.

I'm being paid $22/hour for this.

Kill me.

Did I mention I'm doing this alone?

>Did I mention I'm doing this alone?
After its done ask for a raise or leave.
Its only gonna get worse.

an exception will be throw, the kernel catch that exception and handle it (usually by closing the process from where the instruction has been fetch)

github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code
you know what to do user

Depends on platform.
Some do some don't.

Oh I forgot to mention that my boss wants me to continually roll out new features for the old system while I play catch-up with the new one.

I just submitted a bunch of applications for positions elsewhere. I've only been here a year, and I guess it was a great way to get my foot in the door, but I would rather work at a slightly larger company that actually has a development team.

>wants me to continually roll out new features for the old system while I play catch-up with the new one.
highball to 30,request a jr or get out.

Depends on the CPU. A naive implementation will function as you describe, but more modern and sophisticated CPUs will issue a hardware level exception and crash safely.

Boys, we got it werkin!

EBIC xDDDD

>wow I got data into an interface and it's displaying it please validate me

Kill yourself. This isn't impressive, and we see this every other week when some user thinks that their pet project showing such simplistic data is anything but boring.

I wanted to play around with webassembly, there's no linux builds of the toolchain, you have to compile all of LLVM/clang and their llvm ast to wasm tools.
It's been compiling for 3 hours now.

Nice!

MEME! XD

I'm hoping for at least $75k/year from somewhere else. My coworkers are away for the summer while they do their internships at the big 4 (5?). When (if) they come back, my work load should decrease dramatically.

I don't think I have enough experience to just get out without having something else set up first. I was pretty lucky to get my current job.

I sure hope you have a real machine user.

Can main() be a virtual function?

well, I made it all myself

Tbh. Better content than morons masturbating over their noisy FP code or how the design patterns they just learned are great.

is a core2 ok?

Looks like a messy waste of time that was intended to look "cool" because "dude lmao hacker wires and exposed connections everywhere".

Static methods cannot be virtual.
Free functions cannot be virtual.
Whatever language you're talking about, the answer is no.

No

C influenced languages get an automatic F in my book.

No one is going to buy your book.

>Whatever language you're talking about, the answer is no.
I'm talking about a language where main() is a virtual function.

>you cant improve on C
>you have to completely re-write logical syntax just so its different
Hello rustlet

Why? Is it because you don't like C? Or you can't understand the simplest lang?

Name it.

Doing my final for java script and c#

Java script final I can get a F and still get a B foe the class. C# final I'm basically copying a classmates code.

It doesn't have a name.

it's just my first prototype dude.
Now gotta etch a pcb, wire everything up nicely and then make it pretty

PS:
green (upper led) == fizz
blue == buzz

Eh sort of.
The entry point can't be but in say C or C++ you more often than not it have the standard library preamble which could call your main through a virtual function table.
It wouldn't be standard anymore. But a language could be defined that way.

Post an identifying description of it.

What are you using?
Some ULV garbage, probably.

Do something useful with it that can win you currency from the free market, then come back.

>you cant improve on C
This just means starting from scratch.
>rustlet
R*st is influenced by C and therefore gets an F in my book.

>Why
All of them are horrible languages intended for retards.
>Is it because you don't like C?
Nope, I like it actually.

It has virtual functions and main() is a virtual function.

ivy i7-3920XM

I'm using the PEAR PHP library to send 20+ emails in a while loop (the while loop opens up a csv file first before sending the emails). I can get the email to send if I remove it from the while loop, so I know the smtp is set up correctly, it's just not liking the while loop. Any ideas? Fuck hopefully I'm explaining this clearly.

Not programming related.
Use

How is that not programming related? Is PHP not a programming language?

What IDEs do you use?
Is Sublime 3 okay?

>All of them are horrible
Ah, ok. we actually agree then. C is very good imo. If you just track what you're telling the machine to do for each function, then your code is perfect. C++ is ok, but I feel like it is just complicating something that worked well enough in the first place.

Personally, a good example of this in my dev experience is when I wrote a library in MATLAB to solve a class of equation I was working on. Once the algorithm worked, porting it to C was easy and I got something like a 10^10 times speed up.

then whats a good lang in your opinion
>inb4 "doesnt exist"
VS Code desu

Sublime is hot garbage that is barely a step above Notepad++
emacs all the way bby

Landed my first job ever as programmer, thing is I'm still a student. I did go vs people that already finsihed study, what should I do?
Focus on studying still, or just go for it, as its summer break?

Co-edit

I hope youre atleast on the linux version

he's probably a java fanboy, ignore him

>C is very good imo
I wouldn't say that, it's just not shit.
>If you just track what you're telling the machine to do for each function, then your code is perfect
As long as you're not claiming that's the only kind of perfect "code".
>C++ is ok
Sepples is complete fucking garbage though. And it was influenced by C.

>then whats a good lang in your opinion
I don't think such a language exists right now.

>Using w*dows
What do you take me for?

so we can all agree rust is shit right

I disagree

>Is PHP not a programming language?
It's not. Use to discuss it and other similar trash.

Nope. Rust is pretty nice. It's fast, no GC and don't have to allocate and free every 2 minutes

>you can use only either lincux or w*ndows
What did she mean by this?

oh, so /dpt/ is still filled with retards

If memory safety and speed of execution are your singular goals, Rust is all right.

the windows version has no debugger yet

>C is just not shit
>don't think [a good language] exists
What would you do to make a good language?

Why would I care about the w*ndows version?

Who are you quoting?

Not being shit doesn't imply being good.
>What would you do to make a good language?
Depends. Do you know how to make one?

Fuck off, mactoddler

I like Sublime 3. Emacs is good if you know/enjoy Lisp, and vim is good for quick and dirty edits.

The only other editor I really use is VS code, and that's exclusively for Powershell

Hey. Ask this person too.

just checking lad.

We both know you won't do anything else productive over the summer. If you graduate and have no internships or experience, you're going to be fucked. That being said, make it clear to them that you intend to go back to school at the end of summer.

>m*c
We were talking about operating systems.

Emacs sucks. I wish there was an acme-style lisp editor. I would suck dicks for it.

How is PHP not a programming language?

What about Emacs sucks?

>Ask this person too.
I won't.

Why not? Has lincux damaged your brain this bad?

no it doesn't, you suck

Take your censorship and fuck off strainght back to your safe place, faggot
Get out

Who are you quoting?

this general is fucking retarded

>Why not?
Because I choose not to, is that too hard to understand for people of your IQ level?

Yeah. I'm in grad school for math (specifically numerical anaysis), symbolic logic is actually one of things I do.

Instruction systems is also pretty interesting. I've written some algorithmic notations for writing I've worked on. Language design is a bit similar, although more technical.

I also have done a lot of stuff on electronic hardware design. did some undergrad study in that stuff.

It's summer

It's honestly always this bad

t. retard

>Because I choose not to
Why do you choose not to? Is "Why not"?" and "Why do you choose not to?" somehow not the same in this context for people of your IQ level?

Meh, I was checking it out a few weeks ago, it's not all that bad. I wish D had real pattern matching

Why do people always do this shit?
>i don't like a thing
>i may even have many legitimate complaints about this thing
>therefore i will omit it from a category it formally belongs to
fuck you, mac os is just as much an os as a box office flop is a movie