Are MP3 players dead?, You can pretty much just use your phone for music and/or podcasts...

Are MP3 players dead?, You can pretty much just use your phone for music and/or podcasts, What edge does a dedicated machine have over an all in one device that's just as good?

I still use my Phillips GoGear Viber (shaped like the one in your pictur, but with a display a bit bigger). The battery lasts forever. That's the benefit.

> You can pretty much just use your phone for music and/or podcasts
With massively inferior sound quality and killing 30% of your battery life.
Also if you want to store any amount of music locally so you don't destroy even more battery life by streaming, you can't store anything else on the phone.

Music won't drain your battery unless you have the wrong type of phone

I think I'll get one good gadget to replace my phone.

the only portable electronics phones haven't made obsolete is stuff with physical buttons like video game consoles or the gdp win.

I'm sorry I don't have the latest iPhone, Tiffany.

Dear sir/madam, kindly see attachment.

>Latest iPhone has a good a good battery life
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

They are alive and kicking thanks to audiophiles/autists, but the mainstream iPod is gone now thanks to phones. I still use pic related when I'm running or working in the garden

That shit doesn't fit in my pocket. and it doesn't have a keyboard like the gpd win. And android is shit for gaymes.

it's more convenient having a small dedicated player with physical buttons.

I might actually cry when my Clip+ dies. I can't believe they discontinued such a superior product.

superior DACs

>have 160GB iPod
>used to take it everywhere along with phone
>manage to fill it up
>look a bit into upgrading storage capacity
>start loading other music onto phone
>iPod's battery starts taking a shit - nowhere near the same playback time as before
>replacing the battery and upgrading the hard drive would take a lot of time and a lot of money
>meanwhile my phone's battery life is hardly impacted at all by music playing and I have it with me all the time anyway

I didn't think I'd give up on a separate device. It helps that I only use phones with removable batteries, so swapping it out if it starts having issues is...well, not an issue.

No because I can go through my folders without have to look at my sandisk clip while driving.

I'm sat here right now with my phone and MP3 player. There are multiple reasons as to why I will always use a dedicated device for music.

1) Battery - Since I use my phone for other things, the battery is unreliable and unpredictable. I'm not adjusting my phone usage just so that I can listen to music, whereas my MP3 player can easily last 50 hours on a single charge, it's currently on 75% and I haven't charged it since Sunday. My phone is on 7% and would be pretty useless if I wanted to use it right now for listening to music.

2) Storage - Again, I use my phone for other things, so storage is unreliable. I could carry around multiple SD cards but that would be a hassle, if I want to use my phone like I would normally do and listen to music I would have to switch cards every 20 minutes.

3) Sound quality - Dedicated devices are better, no real explanation needed there.

4) Physical buttons - It's much easier to navigate blind, and just generally easier to navigate.

You can not argue with these points, trying to just makes you look retarded.

Are there any good ones out there? I would just use my phone but the headphone jack on my phone doesn't work.

I still use one
The battery lasts longer and its quicker to charge
I think the main reason though is that its more disposable. If I need my phone in the morning, I wont be able to listen to music when I go to bed without risking a half dead battery in the morning. Same goes for risk of breaking it, I've seen so many people smash their phones at the gym trying to listen to music, if I dropped my mp3 player and it broke its an annoyance at most

No it doesnt
My oneplus one has plenty of stored music, as well as all the xfm shows and I've used up like 40% of the storage

what's a good MP3 player to buy right now?

I'm in the market for one, I'd like it to have bluetooth compatibility for my headphones, a good battery life, and sd card support.

Sony NWZ-A15

>That's not true because I don't have that much music!
I have about 140GB of music.
If I wanted to put that on my phone, I'd have to pay out the ass for a huge SD card that would run slow as shit.

Or I can just slap it on my ipod classic and be on my merry way.

i have a 256GB sd card on my phone, + the built in storage space.

playing music/streaming doesnt really use up as much battery as you autists say, i'd have it playing all the way through a 45 minute train ride to and from work while randomly browsing the web and IMing people during the day, and I'll still have 40~% battery by the time I get home. and this is with bluetooth headphones

What kills it though is when i stream TV channel apps.

You can also use your phone to watch movies but that doesn't mean you should get rid of a tv

my rockbox'd ipod plays flac

i hate having to play/change music off of my phone

i was using a little zune 8gb mp3 player for like 6 years before i fucked it up

got the clip+ and couldnt be happier with it

Yeah still using one. One point which hasn't been pointed out is that you won't be one of the mongoloids at gym who just play with their phones. Less distraction.

Creative mosaic 8GB still alive and kicking. I'm kinda waiting its death so I can justify buying something with bigger storage and flac capability. Won't destroy it on purpose though.

nope.jpg

the dac in my iphone 6 shits over any PMP i have ever owned

got a propper hi-end hifi shop around the corner from my place and i have had an extended audition with the whole range of astell and kerns and comparing 24bit audio on them to an iphone 6 there aint much in it. Just a bit more bass definition. If thats worth 1200 bucks to you go for it.

Law of diminishing returns...

Pretty much this. For me there's also form factor. Phones are too big for fitness activities.

No
>What edge does a dedicated machine have over an all in one device
Storage capacity
Physical controls
Size
Phone can't drive my headphones well
Battery life
>that's just as good?
It's not.

This thing is great, the battery lasts forever

Clip+ is gone
What's a Clip Sport like?
Isee that one at least has a longer list of supported formats than Philips and Sony.

I'll probably get onf of those ore a Benjie X1 since the sansa clip costs over 80 fucking bucks, and the Xduoo 2 battery isn't that good.

Not supported by rockbox. If you don't mind original firmware it's ok.

Buttons are better in the winter imo

no
sansa rocks