/vmg/ Virtual Machines General

What VM does Sup Forums use?
Also which is the best VM to use for Mac other than Parallels?
>pic from web.

I use virtualbox like the pleb i am.
>it just works
>it is free
>it is opensource

It's called Hypervisor.
This

I also use VirtualBox

where i can find some OSX ISOs? i want to try them in VM

same place where you find windows isos

>all these fucking casuals and their x86 only meme apps
QEMU with virt-manager as the GUI is the best. It's free and open source, costs nothing, and can emulate every architecture under the sun. Wanna run some weird Unix clone made by HP 30 years ago? No problem, it does MIPS emulation. Wanna run an ancient version of Solaris? Great, it can emulate SPARC. Wanna be gay and run MacOS 9? PPC is available too. Your shitty VirtualBox can't do that.

The Pirate Bay or other public trackers. You'll want to download the image as a .dmg and run it in QEMU. VirtualButts locks you out of running it unless it's an old server version. VMWare requires an OS X host. But QEMU has no such horse shit restrictions.

Don't forget KVM with QEMU if you are on GNU

>on windows
Vmware Player or VirtualBox
>on linux
Virt-manager with KVM or Xen.

Virtualbox with XP for the quick dirty Windows program

tried doing VGA passthrough(Qemu) but couldn't install drivers(or get it to boot on the dedicated card)

Virtualbox if I just need to run something quick on my desktop, KVM on my server.

But GNU is not a kernel, do you know the meaning of the letters KVM?

none. i can compile/run anything i'd want anyway. i see no use for a virtual machine.

I wrote my own fucking hypervisor niggers. 10k lines of code

not him but...
who the fuck thinks its logical to refer to an os by its kernel?

What's better VMware or virutalbox?

Virtualbox on Windows host but it kind of sucks. Going to get a kvm setup with gpu passthrough for gaming so I can get some control over my development environment. Waiting for threadripper before I make my plans a reality because my current CPU isn't enough to reliably run several VMs.

nothing compares for me VMware player on windows

i use it to run 1 android app in linux through virtual box, nothing special but it's a must.

>What VM does Sup Forums use?
I run a VPS provider, which uses xen as a type-1 hypervisor. My NAS runs FreeNAS 10 which supports bhyve. Everything else (like my desktop) uses Virtualbox.

I don't know about you but when I'm talking about Linux, I refer to all operating systems that use Linux as their kernel. It would be incorrect to use Ganoo/Linux as a blanket term when not all of them have GNU software. So instead I refer to them by the one common component they all share, the kernel. It has the added advantages of already being known as a colloquialism and I don't sound like a turbosperg when I talk about them.

that's the common opinion, nothing special or new.
The thing is Android doesn't refer itself as "Android Linux" it just calls it whatever it wants. Same as others, you can name your distro GNU/Linux, Linux or even claim it's Ganoo/Laynux. If you want Linux as an umbrella term, it means both Android and Desktop Distros. Android and Desktop are way too different, we still can't play two sounds at same time on android even with 10~ years of development. When you say GNU you say every desktop Linux OS except Alpine, which is a router OS. "Linux" is a way wider than it should be today; "some linux distros can't even two songs at same time" "some linux distros are just not upgradable" "on some linux distros you have to void your machine's warranty to be root" see? All of the statements are true. It's actually healthier to call desktop Linux "GNU". Don't forget that Linux kernel runs on also satellite receivers, running bands and that kind of consumer electronics. Do you really mean Linux or GNU?

Anyone here using Proxmox? I want to know how it performs. I've been down the VmWare and Virtualbox roads and I'm sick of the laggy bullshit. Do Proxmox VM's run smoothly?

>that's the common opinion, nothing special or new.
I never said it was special or new, I was pointing out eh difference between what most mean and what freetards mean.
>If you want Linux as an umbrella term, it means both Android and Desktop Distros
Certainly.
>Do you really mean Linux or GNU?
Linux.

esxi for server shit, citrix for windows apps I want to use.

microsoft.com?

Does anyone have a resource for virtualizing a dual-booted Windows 10 installation on UEFI? I want to be able to boot it natively or run it in a VM (I don't give a fuck what virtualization software I need; I've used all of them at one point) on Linux. My disk space makes two installations problematic. I've found people referring to doing it with Xp and 7, and occasionally 10, but in all cases it sounds like they were using legacy boot options and I could not find details about doing it with Windows 10.

Thanks.

In regards to OP's question, Openbox could be preferable but Oracle is an abomination.

so you call Android "linux"?

I call Android "Android" just like I call Debian "Debian." It is Linux though.