Is it worth it right now to get a 4K TV?

Is it worth it right now to get a 4K TV?

If not now, when?

If you're going to be consuming 4k content then sure it's worth it, however if you're just going to be upscaling your content don't bother and just get a high quality 1080p panel.

high quality 1080p tvs dont exist anymore.

Of course not.

When? when 4K is the 1080p of the day.

The only real advantage I see with 4K TVs is the HDR feature. Personally, I would rather watch high bitrate 1080p content on a 1080p TV. Even high bitrate 720p content doesn't looks pretty good on 1080p TVs when you sit far enough.

It pretty much is, as far as price goes. Budget model 4ks are cheaper than mid range 1080s at this point

I got my dad a Samsung UE55KU6079UXZG for his birthday, it's pretty good. Unless you're stuck with your nose against the screen, upscaled 720p content looks decent as well on it.

For some reason they jacked the price up by 200 bux after I bought it, now it's lowered by 100 again.

there's not much 4K content to be honest, just get a good 1080p. however if you're going +50" pick a 4K anyway

>dont exist anymore.
What do you mean

Get a 4k TV whenever it comes with an ATSC 3.0 tv tuner. Which is like 3 years from now.

we still have to get past that period of time where normies will pay top $$$ for """premium 4K content""" before it really becomes the norm

4k tvs are cheap as fuck right now.

It is if you're actually going to watch 4K content regularly.

So far 80% of the people I know with 4K tvs are just upscaling 1080 and are too dumb to know the difference.

There are no good 4k blu rays out yet

He means the meme took over and you literally can't get anything modern and decent without 4k and smart (botnet) capabilities.

When oled 4k hdr tvs aren't some holly grail for 4k$ bucks. Therefore, just wait when tech moves on and all the memes will die at this theme.

wait for cheap 4k HDR OLEDS to be avaliable in a couple years

it's called upscaling user

This guy gets it.

It probably is just because you really can't get a 1080p TV with a nice panel anymore.

In terms of 4K "arriving", it still hasn't. Streaming 4K content looks about as good as 1080p Bluray(but you do get that out of a stream I suppose) and 4K Bluray players are still pretty expensive.

You guys do realize they're not going to get a whole lot cheaper than the $1500ish LG, right? Not for some time, anyway. Other players are just entering at the extreme high end. It will be some time before you are able to buy an OLED TV for under $1000.

No and for a couple of reasons.
>4K content will 99.9999% of the time be encoded in 4:2:0 chroma sub sampling
>affordable ~4 TFLOP graphics cards can only handle 60+ FPS in 1080p

Wait until 8K content starts becoming popular and affordable 16 TFLOP graphics cards start showing up. Downscaling 4K content on a 1080p display is the best experience you can get right now.

what content

>that fucking name
how do you even remember it?
much less try to explain it to an employee verbally?

Netflix, youtube, ultraflix, ect

It's not much but it's growing.

Xbox One S or X

then why do u need higher than 60fps if it's just a few streamed vids

>console trash
Nah, I'd rather wait for pirates to do hevc rips of them.

I was talking about vidya. Anything under 60 fps is uncomfortable and can cause eye strain.

WHy does it matter if they're game consoles you mongoloid.

>then says he doesn't need a bluray player

This place is retarded and knows nothing about technology.

I recently got a Samsung 4k. 1080p upscaled is worse than on a 1080 panel obviously. 4k content looks great, and the ever going improvements in color and contrast are totally worth just going ahead and getting one. I had to fuck with the settings, but I think it looks great now. 4k gaming and youtube vids are all I have for 4k now though. And an rx480 can easily run games at 4k in medium settings with almost maintaining 60 fps in the new games I've tried.

Since OP said TV and not monitor, the 1080p tv market basically doesn't exist any more. You can buy some excess old stock ones, but everything now is going 4k. Even when you look at "babbys first tv in their new apartment" prices, companies like Insignia have a 43" 4k for $349. Of course the pc market is different, there's plenty of high hz 1080p panels, 1440p/1440p ultrawides and things like that. But in terms of Tvs, nobody buying new will be buying 1080p anymore

What looks better:
>1080 screen, 4k supersampling
A4k screen, 1080 upscaling

>WHy does it matter if they're game consoles you mongoloid.
Because I'm an adult and have a computer. Last console I had was a nintendo 64.

>>then says he doesn't need a bluray player
>This place is retarded and knows nothing about technology.
I never said that. I'm waiting for 4K blu-ray optical drives to go down in price or HEVC 4K blu-ray rips to become available.

Whichever comes first.

Both look like trash. 4K content downscaled to 1080p would reduce the abhorrent effects of 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling.

Also windows scaling in some programs is a bit off at 4k. It works if you log in and out strangely. But if you are doing work on a pc I would recommend a 1080p.

Also also, if you want to see how trash dvds are compared to blu ray, get a 4k.

Nah, 1440 is where it's at for PCs at the moment.

4K might be alright for a TV, so long as you're actually using it for 4K content. Otherwise, nope.

You can stream 4k from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube

You can also go full autismo and buy 4k blurays

>I'm waiting for 4K blu-ray optical drives to go down in price
Keep waiting. You'll still need to pay to play 4k blurays

>or HEVC 4K blu-ray rips to become available
lel 100gb movies assuming they can even crack the encryption

HDR is where it's at

>lel 100gb movies assuming they can even crack the encryption
Nope. 1080 res is 2MP and 4K is 8MP, that means only 4X bigger file size for the same quality. We're already seeing good quality 2-4GB 1080p movie rips with HEVC. 8-16GB 4K HEVC rips is feasible.

>2-4GB 1080p
>good quality
YIFY pls

WITH HEVC my negro.

yify uses H264

Both of them look pretty god awful. Almost every h265 encode I've seen so far seems to be from shit tier encoders who think that this new compression format will be able to save their shitty encoding skills.

pic related is a screenshot from a 3GB 720p mini encode from an scene group that actually knows how to encode.

>encoding skills

I don't think it requires skills at all, just knowledge. Here's my own HEVC encode straight from my own blu-ray.

Tell that to grampa joe who will fork over his retirement savings to his cable provider to see the sweat dripping off his favorite sportsball player's balls in 4K.

Why are you posting stills from Thomas The Tank Engine?

Also, for playback, your graphics card means diddly. Also also, you shouldn't be gayming on a TV. A TV is not a monitor.

you can get a decent 50 inch Phillips 4K TV for about $380

its like having movie theatre in the house

As far as the screen is concerned definitely worth it.

But the shitty operating systems
Crappy third party agreements with media providers
And totally fucked os update cycles
makes you wonder if you're getting ripped off.

>But the shitty operating systems
>Crappy third party agreements with media providers
>And totally fucked os update cycles
> makes you wonder if you're getting ripped off.
Why not just plug in an Intel Compute stick loaded with Kodi and use that instead of the TV's smart features?

what?

The best deals I found are 500$ for LG and Hannspree 4k HDR 50-55".
But they got terrible TN panels, shit black levels, and inputlag fest on top of that

Gaymen swear by their Nvidìa whatsitsname or Amd Super Virtual Resolution and say it's just like native 4k rendering

Consoles were a mistake?

Anyway, show me a decent 60" monitor.

I use one as my monitor. They're like $300 these days which is barely the price of a good 1440p monitor, and TVs usually out class monitors in image quality.

>4k marketing hype
>Most movies are still shot on arrival 2.8k

Just give me my 1080p Oled that's not trash and fuck off

>not rocking a 60in 1080p made 10 years ago

*arri

this. aside, there is literally no worthwhile 4k content right now, just wait a few years, prices will drop.

they're not making anymore 1080p OLED, just 4k.

Never, thanks to hollywood. Every device in your chain needs to be HDCP 2.2 compatible in order to consume 4K content. You can't upgrade existing equipment with a firmware update to get this feature because it requires a new chip which basically means a new device.

Or you could just pirate it.

>40GB download for 1 movie

wtf i love 4k now

>he hasn't been downloading 40GB remuxes of 1080p movies
Shame user, shame.

with my broadband connection it takes 12 hours to download 40gb

Well if you're poor you should most likely use your money on useful things rather than upgrading your display, so yeah, in your case it wouldn't be worth it at all.

How about never?
I own a 4K screen and it's honestly just shit. Be it gaming or video, the difference is barely noticeable.
If you have spare money burning in your pocket, do yourself a favor and get a high-FPS monitor. The difference between 60hz and 144hz is simply mindblowing.

Maybe he just lives in a region where high speed internet is simply unavailable? Not uncommon in the United States of Shiternet.

this.
It's virtually the same from 2 feet away @ 50".

Panel quality > resolution anyway.

I've never had that experience. Maybe if you stay away from shitlib infested cancer cities the Internet is worse but I've lived near cities and I always get at least 150mbps.

Cheapest 4k TV is like 700€

>*460$
>55"
>with HDR

when more 4K BDs are ripped

Just get the newest 40" 1080p Samsung SmartTV model and never connect it to the internet. After tuning the display settings, it's one of the most accurate, beautiful, and reasonably priced TV's on the market for the last couple years or so. They're like $200.

also, 4k is eternally a meme in my eyes, except for stuff like VR and TVs larger than 52" or so.

does it even have full panel dimming
it's probably a TN
also
>40"
>2017

Compute sticks would be great if they changed the form factor or made the hdmi plug foldable.
And power over hdmi.

But id still rather the 4k tv i bought had some open source os. Android, windows i dont care. But the lg and samsung ones are fucking terrible.

Anything larger than 46"-50" in a bedroom is fucking retarded no matter how big the room is. From a design perspective and overall aesthetic, it looks really tacky & niggerish. A panel around 60"-75" is acceptable for something like a living room, however.

Since OP casuals Sup Forums, I'm assuming he's a middle class NEET buying one for his room. That's where I coming from.

4k = 4gHEY

>I come from
*was coming from
I a word

>unironically buying a television

/thread

wtf are you on about nigga?
>bedroom
>it looks really tacky & niggerish.

what kind of negro homosexual are you

Am I going the right way here?

LG's is pretty fucking great as far as TV OS' go, it's literally WebOS. Also has Chromecast features built in so you don't have to use their interface

I'm using a compute stick with one of these, it was like $20. It's not ideal for 4k TVs, it can't do 4k 60fps
The compute stick comes with a small HDMI extender like a Chromecast. And the damn thing draws like 3 amps so you'll have to use the power supply it come with

You know how the melanin-enriched overcompensate with flashy, bold, expensive, clashing & out of place items on display 24/7 to pretend they're not poor? That's you.

And yes, you should feel bad.

...Perhaps it'd be best if you went and lied down, and really thought about how you've become this gaudy, distasteful, pitiful, human being at this point in your life. My son shits more class in his morning bowel travels than you can muster up on your best day.

Good day, Jamal "Ganja$" Bubba-Jenkins.

>bedroom
>on display 24/7

literally ghetto tier level of insecurity there m8y

>doesn't watch movies in his bedroom bc triggered by the thought some hypothetical visitor would find his setup "distasteful"

wew lad

I'm just saying don't buy a some 50"-100" TV for your bedroom. I like kicking back and watching shit in bed too

but on that note whats a good used 1080p telly just for remux and ota viewing? the most neutral color?

why wouldn't I buy it if it's the most convenient way to watch crap
You can't see shit on a sub 50" from 8-10 feet away

>scene group that actually knows how to encode
Name?

They all use the same settings dumbass. They are far better than any p2p faggots at literally everything. Ripping DRM from the web, cracking Denuvo, cracking applications, distributing files. You name it.

Sony Bravias from a few years ago.

I'm sure there's a rather large used market full of people of selling them, given how popular they were..

also,
>plentiful supply of models that were released right before the TV jews got together and demanded every TV have NSA spyware pre-installed

I believe the 2009 ones were especially good in terms of panel quality, accuracy, etc - if memory serves me right

> bitching about quality
> 2gb rips

Useless subhuman

>2009 lcds
>good

holy shit m8, lcds are crap to this day, with the exception of the very high end and the samsungs

>scene
>good at anything
Lol.

I actually meant TV/movies, not everything.

He asked for a used & neutral 1080p panel. I told him. The Bravia is one of the very few reasonable choices in the category, desu.

not everybody is rollin in a shitload of cash, my dude

We have yurotaxes to buy refugee houses
Give me good old 1080p panel tvs I might try to find a used one, don't need more than 32-40"

That would be more than double the quality of yify though since they aim for 1.5GB file sizes for 1080p movies.

Still a subhuman, get a remux or kill yourself

Shut up you retard, even a remux is a lossy encode. TRUE lossless video is like 1,000 GB per hour.

By the time you get to 22 CRF HEVC (2-4GB 1080p movie range) it looks 90% like the original movie especially with a 10-bit HEVC encoder. No point in adding more bloat especially with SSDs being like $300/TB.