What do you think the future looks like for people who intend to cling forever?

What do you think the future looks like for people who intend to cling forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FvcxPufSRNo?t=4m56s
youtube.com/results?search_query=wendel iommu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you'll be stuck in the age of dinosaurs long after they stopped support
found that out about XP the hard way yesterday

Not good. I intend to use Win7 x64 untill 2020. Then I'm gonna disconnect my machine from the internet, install the latest Win10 x64, and use a KVM switch with a rasberry pi to get on the internet. I'm gonna share a HDD between the pi and the Win10 machine to download/upload files between the rpi and win10 machine.

The Windows 10 machine will never be connected to the internet.

Start learning to use Linux and wine.
Don't form any dependencies on any newer proprietary software packages because Microsoft's new UWP garbage is going to become the primary form of binary distribution for following versions of Windows.
Don't let your Windows 7 computer connect to the internet when support ends.

If Windows 10 is still shit in 2020 I'll move to Linux and run the programs I need through a VM.

Windows 7 has too much market share for software developers to drop it (unless you're literally being published by Microsoft or paid to make it exclusive)

So the end of "extended support" really scares you guys?
I thought they just said that to scare grandmas and people who will click literally anything

The end of updates doesn't scare me nearly as much as the takeover of UWP and the Microsoft Store.

i alredy started using linux, i hope that by the time w7 becomes unsupported there are foss alternatives to every program i need or at least windows version runs nice with wine
for games, i don't really care what's on my machine. i can install the latest windows 10 and boot it up only when i need to play a game

I actually hope it helps me stop playing games altogether

Free market will fix it.
When it becomes clear that Microsoft intends to screw over the W7/XP consumer base there WILL be companies producing OS's for those people. One of them will "win" and we may well have a new standard

I imagine it's like clinging on to Christianity or Islam.

time to move on buddos.

>So the end of "extended support" really scares you guys?

I take security seriously, so yeah. A trojan in my system could compromise my bitcoin and altcoin wallets, my email and paypal passwords, my personal files and documents and so forth.

Then don't download any trojans?
Stuff like Cryptolocker proves that even with Windows security updates there are still people beating the system
What's it matter there are more attempts at breaching security if we're to smart to fall for them
I understand you're probably right i'm just trying to understand myself

They will be like the baby boomers and generation Xers who still cling to XP and literally can't stop installing toolbars and malware. They will be left behind and will be known as tech illiterates.

In a way they already are. Your average Windows user doesn't know shit about technology and probably has at least one or two hidden bitcoin miners on their computer.

What about port scans using zero days and unpatched vulnerabilities to infect systems? Back in the XP days, you could get infected with a virus when you connected your freshly formatted machine to start windows update.

Security patches are important to not get assfucked.

So this thread got me thinking. How would you go about cutting off Windows 10 completely from the internet, while still allowing for applications you specify to connect to the internet?

Generally speaking, what we want is something like:
1. Sandbox the Win10 PC
2. Allow apps you specify to "tunnel out"

For #1, blocking all connections from/to the Win10 PC at your router is the obvious choice.

For #2, this is where it requires some work. I'm thinking a proxy server, running on the router if possible, such that all connections must go through it. I'm far from knowledgeable on this though, so any input here is welcome. Currently I'm running DD-WRT on my own router, so that's what I'm researching to see if it's possible to do something like this with it.

As far as Windows security updates, those can be downloaded manually from Microsoft.

Just *nix.

Once (if) GPU drivers on *Nix aren't gimpware I'm jumping ship. I enjoy fiddling with WINE and Linux shenanigans anyway. There's nothing really left for me to learn on Windows and all that's kept me here is lack of Wine DX11 / Drivers that aren't 190% inefficient.

Windows 10 offers nothing for me and many many other people over a perfectly stable Windows 7 installation. It's not any faster (proven myself with benchmarks for myself and Windows 7 is slightly faster even now on the same hardware), and don't even get me started on the telemetry bullshit (which has not been allowed to "infect" my Windows 7 Pro install) and privacy concerns.

Even the fact that Windows 10 is/was free of monetary cost isn't a reason to run it, at least not for me and those many people.

It's just a bad OS, regardless of the marketing BS or what the sheep using it tend to say about it.

>2 years later
I have Win10 pro on my laptop. I still hate nearly everything about it. I'm sticking with 7 on my main machine until ~2020. Linux and all it's derivatives still are, and most likely always will be, shit. Mint and Debian are the most usable/user friendly but they themselves are still shit. I should not have to fight my system every time I want to do something. And the lack of proper software/driver support is still a major issue.
Custom firewalls in the router. Windows in a container/VM.

I had DD-WRT on my old Nighthawk and it was good. But pfsense is better for doing that kind of thing. I'm not up to date on which of all the linux OS support Docker.
The "Right" answer is to always run your router on a dedicated box but what I'm probably going to be doing soon, is moving over to Unraid and putting pfsense in a container, windows in a container, and building myself a proper NAS and snapshot/backup system all in one box.

Thought about going FreeNAS for the NAS/backup but the thought of having everything in one box appeals to me even if it's not the most "best practice".

>Windows in a container/VM
Except running in a VM reduces performance, right? Seems to me the firewall/proxy method is better if you care about that.

>Windows 10 is/was free of monetary cost

I'm glad I had used Windows 8 before I got the "upgrade for free!" popups in win7. I said, "no fucking way"

currently rocking Windows 7 on my desktop. If I ever go out and purchase a NEW computer it will be an Apple because I am not using that shit on my own computer.

I have familiarized myself with Linux and it's great but I still need games, especially if I were to purchase an expensive, powerful machine

>VM reduces performance, right?

absolutely. If you wanted to use Microsoft Excel I don't think it would be a problem but nobody sane is using Windows in a VM to play games or edit videos or anything intensive

I don't even care about telemetry
I just fucking hate the Windows 10 UI
Why does everything have to be huge? Why does there have to be color everywhere? Why do I need boxes with stupid shit popping up all the time

Not really. There is very little overhead. You just need proper IOMMU support on your motherboard for GPU passthrough.
You'd defintely want at least a 6 core for doing something like this though because you have to dedicate a core/thread to Unraid and to pfsense.

youtu.be/FvcxPufSRNo?t=4m56s
youtube.com/results?search_query=wendel iommu

I'm with you. I don't give a shit about the telemetry, it's the UI changes and the way they make you struggle to make simple changes. everything is inconsistent and I swear they don't want you fucking around in the control panel or whatever.

windows 10 isn't as bad as 8, I am typing this from work pc with 10 and it works fine but yep, it tries to trick everyone who touches it into creating a "microsoft account" (at least 2x someone has claimed ownership with their outlook email)

it tries to trick us into playing candy crush, it tries to trick us into using edge.. just seriously fuck Microsoft. I will buy a mac before I buy a new windows comp. and I've been a staunch anti-mac guy since the 90's when they had one mouse button and no gaymes

Follow up:
I'm no expert or advocate on the whole Container vs VM debate, but as I understand it containers have gotten much better in the last couple years and in a use case such as this containers would probably be preferable. (Although the difference in performance would likely be very negligible.) Any one that knows about this please give your thoughts.

Also, part of the reason I don't want to do FreeNAS is I don't want to have to deal with slow ECC memory. Especially if I were to go Ryzen/Threadripper, you really need the fast RAM.

Wannacry hit XP hard, yo.

I'm not able to tell anymore what's an actual good reccomendation and what's a lie. Like when the mechanic comes up to me and tells me I need my radiator flushed, when really he just wants $100
That's what it sounds like when i'm told to stop using software without security patches immediately
I guess i'm wrong

Seems excessive. Why would you convolute something like that?

At that point why not just use linux as your main OS??

Not him but when I use Ubuntu I get this weird glitch where the cursor dissapears in the lower half of the screen
I had used Windows my whole life and not seen anything half that crazy.
I just feel like we're years from it REALLY being usable for work. The best programmers are getting paid to write the proprietary software we despise so much, it's just the reality. Linux development gets free time and secondary talent.

I unironically think it's more likely a company selling a proprietary OS that captures the glory of XP/7 for the modern age will dethrone Microsoft than the GNU revolution. That's the capitalist in me.

A switch to Linux.

>future looks like for people who intend to cling forever?
Linux. With Windows 10, I'd sooner use a Mac than use it's awful new tablet interface and auto-update bullshit.

Enjoy being dommed by Windows-Tan though, gamelets.

linux isn't to far away from viability as a main os, especially with vm and a gpu pass through.

They just need to make doing that painless.

Another little surprise while I was playing with Ubuntu was no sound was coming out of the headphone panel. After inspecting the options in the settings I saw ubuntu did not recognize the front panel as a sound device at all.
This is literally something Windows does for you with no effort. I had never even contemplated it before.
I figured it out because I had lots of time on my hands but working people don't. You can't expect people who just want to do simple things with their computer to figure out a problem like that; it has to work out of the box. Even Ubuntu, which will earn you snickers as a casual who does not know Linux, has a long, LONG way to go before it could capture any sort of install base.

We've been asking for something to move on to for two software cycles, and they refuse to give it to us.

I've never had a problem with linux and I'm pretty plebby by Sup Forums standards since I only write software for /sci/ shit; only one needed program isn't on linux but I left the field that needs it and only play old vidya that's easily emulated. Maybe it's because my laptop is lenovo, it may share drivers with the thinkpad and those autists are benefiting me. The 2 towers I've built haven't had any problems either, but maybe I don't do 3/4ths of the things most people do.

Only other big O$ maker is apple and god forbid we're subjected to that multi-dongle walled garden trash. Proprietary shit is just gonna go the same route to maximize profit, so maybe frame linux in your head as right-libertarianism to purge your ideological bias.

>just about nothing off of performance

oh wow

it will be better than xp/2003 legacy systems by a long shot, but when it stops receiving updates there will be similar levels of problems.

I’ve said for a while now that Apple is one non-shitty $500 Mac Mini away from eating Microsoft’s lunch in the consumer space, and one acquisition of Parallels away from eating their lunch in the enterprise space.

Seriously. If I was in an executive role at Apple, I’d buy Parallels. Not just for the Parallels Desktop virtual machine software (which is excellent), but also for Parallels Access, a toolset that can serve desktop apps to other computers (including the iPhone and iPad) in a mobile-friendly format. Then, I’d take a Mac Mini, stick some 12” MacBook innards in it, make the RAM and HDD replaceable to appease the turbonerds, stick an SSD in there by default, and slap a $499 price tag on it. And then I’d offer the Parallels suite for free with volume purchases and a matching support contract.

Why? Well, there’s the obvious angle of selling people a good computer. “But Apple’s profit margins!” you’ll say. Well, yes, this would buck their traditional model, but it would do so for a good reason: critical mass. Mac Minis in enterprises means IT departments being prepared to support MacOS, which inevitably means more Macbooks rolling out as well. Which means more adoption, which means more software, which means more adoption. And Apple could even maintain the standardization that makes their job so easy while they did this.

Second, there’s the Mac App Store. It’s been a long-standing industry joke, largely because you can’t make the demands Apple makes of its App Store ecosystem when you don’t have a giant chunk of marketshare. The scale of the marketshare I’m expecting from the $500 Mac Mini would allow them to set those standards they want to set (and collect royalties from the App Store!).

Which brings me to my next point: services. Apple’s fastest-growing business is its Services division. More Macs means more iCloud subs, more Apple Music subs, more AppleCare customers, etc.

You’re welcome, Apple.

I've been acclimating myself to GNU/Linux so I can completely abandon Windows in my personal life. If I continue using it, it won't be on computers that transmit any information I care about.

Use GPU passthrough.

Solus is just as user friendly as Ubuntu, but many times better designed and functional. The only thing holding it back is the small repository, which would be easily fixed if more developers decided to jump on. The "KevinNet" meme is funny and all, but I really think Solus is a step in the right direction towards mainstream adoption. The team even makes an effort to support MUH BIDEOGAYMES out of the box.

Obviously this doesn't apply to freetards, given that Solus makes no effort to shy away from proprietary software, but normalfags will NEVER care about that. F(L)OSS will always be niche.

GPU passthrough gives you nearline 100% of your native CPU power, no GPU overhead.
Windows sits in a nice little box that you can turn on and shut off when you desire.

Native disk performance is better on linux with a windows virtual image. Your HDD gets a boost and you have a handful of better file systems at your disposal.
Nvidia hates fun so they disable passthrough in their drivers on geforce unless you hide your hypervisor or run a quadro, the arch wiki passthrough guide tells you how to bypass.
The only downside is that there is no proprietary black magic in the virtualized QEMU chipset to SLI or crossfire, so you need to have a dual GPU on a single PCB if you go this route.

That's it. I run a fury on win7.

Neat, though you would need an ssd

I'm learning Linux in my are time. I mean I can run Mint and Ubuntu and stuff and get around but I want to be "hardened in the ways of Linux" before I jettison my life support.

Such a shame, I really like 7.

What do you mean by *nix? NixOS? UNIX? GuixSD? Linux?

>reformat
>reinstall
>t-that should do it...
>;)))

Anyone with an iGPU can do passthrough.

Im gonna cling until 2020, but even then possibly longer. I understand there are real chances of getting fucked over exploits all over the place, but W7 is so vastly tested at this point that im sure someone will find a way to nearly bulletproof it against attacks, of course with minimal functionality but im perfectly ok with that.

Theres a guide floating around about security hardening W7, havent read it yet but im sure it covers things like this.

I just got a Macbook. I’ve been sitting here laughing at the dumpster fire that is Windows since the Win8 days. Would recommend.

I've always been anti Mac myself, but I bought a refurbished Air to replace my old laptop and it's really great. I'm in love with it. I just wish they weren't so damn expensive.

>that is Windows since the Win8 days
Good thing many of us are still using W7 but I see what you mean, if I cant keep using 7 im giving up wangblows for good, will probably get a Mac too desu.

I accidentally gave a school computer this once
I don't know what it did. I never turned it on again

>im sure someone will find a way to nearly
>windows
Not only has your operating system of choice been designed to spy on you, it's been designed to have security flaws. Enjoy your games.

I am similar levels of cocky.
My parents got me a Windows 98 PC with an internet connection when I was still shitting my pants. Because they thought it would be funny. And they knew what the future would be like.
Granted I didn't do much but play Flash games. The point is i've been using Windows 98, XP, Vista, and 7 in that order for 20 years and i've yet to become infected with more than simple adware downloaded by my snot-nosed brother.
I will not cower at the end of extended support. I will back up my data regularly and wait to get malware because part of me feels like I won't.

My W7 desktop is a lovely ship.
I ought to go down with it.

I'll make the permanent switch to GNU/Linux when Windows 7 losses all support. I'll keep a simple small partition for Win7 for just games, anything else will be exclusive to the GNU/Linux partition which I'm already beginning to set up for the inevitable switch.

I refuse to suck Microsoft's cock as harvest all my data, shove advertisements up my ass, and delete any "illegal" content on my computer. I refuse to ever use Windows 10, it's literal spyware and malware.

Agreed. Telemetry I can deal with, all that other shit I cannot. For some reason my entire music collection went missing and I certainly don't remember deleting it. This might sound too paranoid and you'd think I probably just deleted it without realizing, but there have been reports of things being uninstalled by Windows 10 so I don't even rule it out.

The UI is madness, just look at it what it takes to modify sharing settings. You have to right click the network, properties, make the device visible on the network, modify the sharing settings, then set up the individual folders, etc to be shared. These are all in different places.

The other day I found out my entire PC was accessible from my Mac because I forgot to turn something off, as long as I entered my Windows password I could access all the files on my Windows PC. Because there are so many sharing settings I missed turning something off. Windows UI is cancer, it's no exagguration, adware at this point too, with the amount of shit they keep force memeing.

If you click the start menu you get something that looks like an advertisement billboard.

And there's still two control panels.

>trading one Jewish overlord for another
Good goy.

>For some reason my entire music collection went missing and I certainly don't remember deleting it.
Holy fuck seriously? This is the kind of crap that puts me off more than telemetry too. I remember of similar cases with iTunes but that had to do with licensing stuff. Windows has no business here yet it does this kind of shit.

How much GBs was it and what music library were you using?

>2020
>Microsoft releases Windows 11

Honestly, the fact that people just accepted Windows 10 really shows that no matter what they do from here, it will fly. Pretty sad, actually.

Linux will only get easier to use by 2020.

Everything will fly as long as it's OMG (((Free)))

Even giving away Windows 10 for free they could and surpassed the market share of Windows 7. If anything this should show Microsoft that they fucked up hard with eight and 10

>We've been asking for something to move on to for two software cycles
it already came with Windows 10.

Time to let go of your ego and join the botnet. It's not like anyone cares about your porn.

>le porn meme

Nice try, MI5. You're not arresting me for Islamaphobia.

Around 25gbs in a folder labelled music, all pirated or free stuff. Sat on my desktop. It's backed up on my phone and laptop though so it wasn't a loss.

Keep in mind I'm not entirely sure I didn't just accidently delete it, but the folder was so big it should have still displayed the "too big for recycle bin" warning, which is why I can't understand how it would disappear.

After it vanished I checked some of my other files and haven't noticed anything else missing. There have been reports of Steam and some other applications getting automatically uninstalled on Windows 10 on update or something, so I wondered, could it have been detected and deleted since it was full of pirated content? But I still don't really know.

There's still a tiny chance that Windows 10 will become less shit by 2020.

If not, maybe some Linux distro or Windows 8.1.

>A trojan in my system could compromise my bitcoin and altcoin wallets, my email and paypal passwords, my personal files and documents and so forth.
don't you have that shit backed up and/or secured on a separate machine?

I mean the only "point" of windows 10 is gaming. even if I'm forced to use it one day, I would never use it for real life shit.

IDC about games, but how well do ASIO drivers and audio programs work?

>have windows 7 in 2021
>big bad virus fucks my machine
>format and reinstall
>no real consequence because everything is backed up and there is no real info on the machine that could be harmful

or you could just use linux and have a windows 10 install just for games.

honestly games and familiarity are the only reasons to use windows.

What benefits does Win10 have?

>muh boot times
It hibernates by default which is why it fucks up installing updates sometimes

>muh dx12
Literally nothing unless you're full on Cheeto triple A gamer

pretty good, they will release a new OS which improves 7 even more, 10 is on his last legs, new OS in 2019 probably, but yeah, if I feel "quirky" I might as well install 10 on another HDD and do a manual dual-boot, I was thinking about this because Xbox One X does not support 2k res and I can get W10 basically for free(plenty of old working HDDs)...soooo, I would like to play FM7 at 2k without having to spend money...but that's me being an edgy crybaby, I can perfectly play it at 1080p on my OG Bone and wait for the new consoles to release in 2 years, heh

>What benefits does Win10 have?
literaly everything. All new hardware from Intel and AMD is going to be optimized for Win10.

If you continue to use Win7, your processor is virtually going to be amputated.

Just spent 2 days trying to install Win7 on a new hp laptop. So much fuckery.
>no USB3 support in Win7 installer
>add drivers to installer, still doesn't work.
>set up TFTP server for PXE boot & do install
>BIOS won't see Win7 install
>repeat with like five other versions of Win7, BIOS ignores them all
>install GRUB with debian, leaving large partition for Win7
>debian boots, but Win7 installer refuses to work with GPT partition
>format, install Win7 leaving small partitions for GRUB & debian
>BIOS now refuses to see GRUB
>BIOS updates only available as exe
>try updating BIOS directly from network
>have v1.03, v1.04 is available on website, BIOS claims it needs urgently to downgrade to v1.02, then fails
I'm really running out of ideas here...

The fuckery runs deeper than "optimized". They're aiming for lockout.

Halp, anyone?

LTSB. A Win 7 reskin. Literally.

You should have expected this from HP. Go for 8.1 and see if that works.

>Go for 8.1
From what I've read, the line in hp's sand is under 10. Nothing older is allowed. And if I'm going to install 8.1, doesn't seem too far from just installing 10, right?

Any good guides for de-fuckifying Win10? In so far as that might be possible?

What really activates my almonds is the fact that the previous gen model was on runout sale with Win7 pre-installed, but ummity-ahhity gf waited until they sold out, then got this thing for about the same price but with no OS.

>then got this thing for about the same price but with no OS.
The best you can do is google for a way to disable secureboot and enable legacy bios.

Windows 7-fag here

Sticking with it until 2020. I'll figure out what to do three years from now when the support ends.

Secure boot was disabled in BIOS from the start, legacy support enabled. I'll try disabling both & see what happens.
I also disabled the MS UEFI CA check. I have a feeling its something to do with the EFI implementation being really picky about what it will let boot.

The trick is to use Gparted to pre-make the Windows partition.

Drag the Win7 install files into that partition and add a boot flag. Restart and it'll work.

Hmm... I like where this is going...
My only point of scepticism is that I need to get Gparted to make an NTFS partition without first creating a GPT partition table. Is that doable? How would I most likely fuck that up?

>So the end of "extended support" really scares you guys?
>I take security seriously, so yeah.
And that's why you're using Windows of all operating systems? I'm also sure anyone can prove which exploits get patched and if they get patched at all on a proprietary operating system. It's the matter of choosing the lesser evil when you're using Windows really.

Or you could just use Linux...

>muh GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

Windows 7 is like uTorrent 2.2.1, still the best and no exploits

Except Apple is not interested in market share, and never will be.

The real scare is what said, when UWP kills Win32/PE. You can still use a Windows 2000 PC today.

Is Windows 8.1 as terrible as Windows 10 when it comes to all the telemetry and botnet bullshit or is it closer to Windows 7?

I forsee rootkits and general fuckery.

>tfw when people all around have problems with various shits and you just play your 200GiB of pirated games without any problems
I should go to a lottery

Theyre all the same. Only linux users can complain.

>de-fuckyfying
Look for people using LTSB
As of now it's if, not when.

just built a ryzen based system here is my story

got an 8tb hdd
got a 512gb nvme
installed to the 8tb with a mechanical keyboard alone and a burnt dvd
Got into windows
installed the cd drivers
got usb 3 now
got mouse to work
installed samsung drivers for nvme
restart
mirror after windows sees nvme
restart
shit still boots
shutdown
unplug hdd
shit still boots
WOOT WOOT, got an nvme

and now for my pain. that is my most recent test on a samsung 960 evo. its fast sure, but not as fast as it should be I think.

cinebench is giving me 1350 on a 1700, so within margin of error of what it should be stock.

What?

I'll probably put the current machine to work as a server at home instead of PC. Delete the games and just keep the rest of the files. Since everything I use for work runs on linux (mathlab), I can keep using all that but now directly instead of VMing it.
I guess the only issue would be excel, but then again, the company would also need to see what they would do beyond 7.
For normalfag shit I'll just use a smartphone I guess. I rarely play games anymore, and if I do it's the same old ones that run on emulators anyway.
I guess for music production (hobby) I would need something with more support... so I guess a mac mini will make sense although I also don't approve of their business models and other shit.

>mirror
Nice work, user.

when I saw the steps and bullshit necessary to run off usb3, not to mention install natively to an nvme, I said fuck it, this way will be easier.

Only reason its not more common is how many people have a spare drive laying around?

I have like stacks of spare drives all over the place. Unfortunately, in my case it seems to be an OS version that BIOS refuses to see, rather than a particular type of storage media.