I run a small business out of my garage fixing computers, also taking broken computers, fixing them...

I run a small business out of my garage fixing computers, also taking broken computers, fixing them, loading them with Linux and selling them. Now I lose sales when I mention it runs linux (usually mint with cinnamon or debian). I have been thinking of loading the laptops up with Cloudready which seems to work with Google more than Chromium, and selling the old laptops as Chromebooks.

Has anyone done this and gotten shit from google or what ever? Chromebooks seem to be the hot thing for plebes, so it seems like a good idea.

Sometimes drivers are aids for ChromeOS, most people will want Windows as it supports a lot more without tweaking sadly.

Where do you source your old/broken computers?

Any reason you're putting Linux on them? Just buy a fuck load of de-commed licenses on eBay for $2 each and put Win7 on them. You'll triple your sales.

Chromium OS is good so just use it.

I have several ads out, and I get them for free (a lot of the time) from schools, local factories, etc. They are usually really beat up and require a lot of work to get them looking good cosmetically. I have boxes of laptops ranging from 10 year old thinkpads to C2D Macs.

Never thought of that. I was putting Linux on them because they can't handle Win10 and a Windows License is like a bit less than $100, and I don't want to add $100 to my prices.

I usually sell to students and people who are getting into computing, so I want to keep my prices less than $100. Pre-installing Wine usually helps with Windows incompatibility.

Do you cold call the schools/businesses? How much extra income does it net you, if you don't mind me asking?

No I don't cold call them...all the time. Sometimes I show up on their doorstep (jk). Some places will give you their e-waste for free because to dispose of it costs money.

Just mention you are looking for E-waste. I find it better to place up ads on craigslist, facebook, etc that you are looking for e-waste. My last run netted me 30 Core 2 Duo Dell laptops, all Latitude D620s. I got about 20 working machines after tearing them down and making working units. I've sold several with Mint Cinnamon on them for $50 to students needing laptops for school. I even show them how to do basic things on the machines.

Also I have deals with the local Salvation army who don't accept computers, so they call me and I take them.

Extra income? that is a tough one. I can usually do about $600 extra a month.

sell them with elementary instead and the retards will fall for the eye candy

Or or OR, better idea. How about no, Scott. Ok?

dang, that is breddy gud. $600 dollars constantly per month or sometimes less? this really seems like a nice little business you got there.

my dude, pirate windows 7 and then use the accessibility upgrade to get a legit copy of windows 10. it's not like microshaft is going to go after a small time guy selling computers out of his garage.

Most of these machines won't run Win10 well.

Sometimes less, sometimes more.

>a poor kid who cant play shit on his linux old ass laptop
>start tinkering with it
>got into programming
>avert himself from becoming failure of man like his parent
I know you are doing it for profit, but what you do is legit nice.

Profit is the furthest on my mind. That is why I am selling them cheap.

most laptops usually have licence keys underneath
just reinstall windows

Just found a MacBook air on eBay that says iCloud locked. Can I just install Linux on it and go about my day?

>I run a small business out of my garage
this is illegal

Best of luck to you my user.

hey OP I just recently found 2010 macbook pro (university e-waste bin). Just have to replace the battery which costs around 80 bucks. Wondering what OS to put on it if I ever get around to it. Any recommendations?

Hey OP, I have been thinking about doing something similar for years. Selling machines, fixing them, and etc.

How do I get started? Would appreciate some advice. Anything that you can share! Thanks a lot.

How much are you selling them for?

Specifically this lock. Is this EFI or would a simple DBAN run with a Linux install fix it?

Seems like you could.

I haven't had the best luck with Linux distros on Macbooks. Several of the components are locked to Apple drivers which are surprise surprise, not available for linux. I have had the best luck with proper Debian on Macs.

make connections. I started with facebook yardsale groups. Mentioned I was looking for E-Waste, specifically computers. It can be expensive per pound to recycle e-waste and if you are a business/school...you kind of have to or else you have the feds up your ass with fines. Just offer to take them for free, and it rains laptops/desktops. I've gotten several high end plasma TVs for free similarly that needed recapped.

Ebay is a good option but you are going to be spending a good chunk of change on lots. Be sure to look for lots with similar computer models, makes it easy to repair. Just take one that is in shit shape and get the good stuff out. This is why I love dealing with schools and factories, they usually buy machines in bulk and get rid of them in bulk.

if you work at a factory (like I do) talk to management and they may work with you.

Depending on age. My Thinkpads I was selling them for $25 because they were 10 years old at the time. I just sold a 1st/2nd gen i5 Dell for $100 with Debian installed.

Should I use craigslist for the e-waste? And I imagine the same for selling machines or offering repairs?
Ebay is good for buying *sometimes* but not selling. They can take away most of your profit with fees.

Craigslist and facebook. I've been dealing with FB more because now I get scam calls and texts all of the time.

I guess I could make my own little business FB. What groups do you recommend?

Also any advice is appreciated! I don't have a lot of money and would just like to be able to make a little side income.

Save up a few hundred bucks first. Do you know how to fix machines already?

>Save up a few hundred bucks first
I have, enough to get a few things.

>Do you know how to fix machines already?
Sure do, it's not very hard! I can test out to see what is not working and all of that good stuff.

Business Cards make you more legit, at least better than some guy looking to bum stuff off people.

True! I could hand them out to people. My Dad does A/C repair and he hands his cards out. I guess he can give people one of his and mines.

Before I do any type of repairs though I need a bunch of machines and parts.

What do you do if someone needs something like RAM that you don't have on hand? I don't know if someone would trust me with their computers for a few days.

Buy common parts. Ram DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 and pray to the gods of goodness that you don't need PC-100. Get both Desktop and Laptop sizes. Basic Hard Discs as well, SATA preferably.

You can get this stuff in bulk on Ebay, and when you get them...test them out and toss what you can't use.

Yea, only issue with RAM is that there are many different types. Like certain DDR3 that only works with certain boards. Stuff like HDDs, PSUs, and cases basically work for anything so it isn't an issue.
I am really sorry for all the questions, but I have never had a chance to speak to someone about this.
What are some of the prices that you charge? For the common stuff. Like reinstalling windows, changing HDD, RAM, and etc.
Thanks a lot friend, I appreciate the help.

Making money with software pirated from huge ass companies is pretty much spinning the chamber on a loaded revolver and getting some hot Russian roulette going. Sure, you might be able to profit slightly if you manage to avoid detection, but if anyone catches on then you're in for such a massive world of hurt that suicide seems like an extremely enticing option (that is, if you even get the chance for that before you get jailed for decades).

for pricing take what you charge for labor (what ever you want), cost of components, add 20%

Say like your labor cost is $7.50 an hour, you work for two hours, and a new windows license is $100 (bear with me here). So $138. It also helps to see what others are charging in your area and emulate.

Gotcha, thanks a lot again. Gonna do some more research and plan shit out. I am definitely gonna start this within the next week or two.

Keep in mind, things will be slow starting out. I am 2 years in.

what about remixOS?

Definitely, but I won't give up. You can't start off making a lot of money with any business. Takes time to get a reputation, and customers. I have a few other ideas of things that I can do.
Honestly, I just want some income that I can save. I don't expect it to be a lot.

If they have a Win7 license, load Win10 and activate with the license.

You can download Win10 OEM directly from Microsoft.

You can also load Win7 and use Daz loader, then update to Win10 using the Assistive Technologies update.

We'll bang, OK?

Google isn't going to sue you man, just do whatever.

Depends on whether or not it's the EFI lock or it's on the hard drive alone. Buy it and find out, I guess.

Why not offer a version of Windows 7 Embedded or something?

op get shot please

Just wipe the disk and reinstall OSX, you should be fine.