Can we seriously consider moving torrents off the clearnet or adopting something more secure yet?

torrentfreak.com/top-isps-are-discussing-fines-browsing-hijacking-for-pirates-170614/
Between this in the US, the recent EU ruling on torrent trackers, and western countries in general pushing for more control over the internet, we should really be looking at moving to something new sooner than later.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
wiki.vuze.com/w/Distributed_Database_Trusted_Feed
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vuze just works with i2p but everyone avoids it because >java

Also their version of DHT supports syndication - a special magnet can point to updateable feed or collection by a release group or trusted aggregator.

GNUnet is the future

I P F S

N O

How could Java possibly be worse than the possible future of your ISP blocking your internet access unless you pay a fine?

i2p is p good, would be better if it was basically ded tho

I don't see why the trackers couldn't be on tor

actual p2p is still in the "clear" encrypted.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was already the case

>deep state detected
posters who constantly advertise gnunet are detracting from security and trying to divert a sense of security

>last update 3 years ago

use zeronet or be insecure

From the article:

> A redirect screen will guide the infringer to our payment screen while limiting all but essential internet access.”

What is "essential internet access" anyway?

And what mechanism would they use to limit your access only to "essential internet access"? Would they assign you a DNS server with stripped-down entries or something? If so, couldn't you just change your DNS to a public server to get around this? Or go through a proxy?

I would assume they would just drop or reject packets to addresses they "don't approve" of (not on a whitelist), including your proxy addresses

no U
>zeronet
honeypot

>deep state detected
Where is your god now cuck?

>I don't see why the trackers couldn't be on tor

Just putting the trackers on tor wouldn't be enough.

The only way to use tor to beat the RightsCorp torrent snooping is if the actual torrent file traffic itself all goes through tor.

Once the torrent file traffic is all going through tor, then the only thing RightsCorp could get is the IP addresses of the tor exit nodes. (Very similar to the way it only has the IP addresses of the VPN servers when you torrent through a VPN socks proxy.)

Just like they killed off limewire and DC transfers didnt die, they can kill as many major trackers as they want and P2P will never die.
I mean look at fucking nyaa.se and how immediate the response to repopulating the database of those magnet links happened

>there's talk of ISPs shutting down your internet service until you pay a fine every time you get caught pirating
>implying how quickly sites can repopulate their databases after being taken down will prevent the former

there is a major problem cucks, the isp owns the physical connections (cables) to and from servers, how do you physically bypass that? once you do then you truly have a free net.

>try to fine me
>sign up with another ISP
problem solved, parasites can stfu and move my fucking bits

Mesh networks, as well as decentralized networks on the web. The future is trustless decentralization.

Freenet is the Honeypot, Zeronet is just Reddit.

VPNs work just fine, but they are far too centralised if the government gets serious. They're good enough for piracy most of the time since governments aren't prepared to go full 1984 just for people sharing music.

java can give away infos about you/your machine, there's a reason TOR does not activate it by default.

this. i'm still planing to create something like that for my neighbourhood, but i guess it's full of normies who would use it anyways.

>ipfs
>not secure
can be run over literally any network topology. i2p and tor are specifically in the works

this

USA still has no mandatory data retention or key handover laws so I don't see a reason to cripple BitTorrent yet. Pay for a VPN provider and ignore letters. The age of free piracy is over.

Do you seriously not know the difference between Java and Javascript?

java is not javascript you aspie

>use zeronet or be insecure
Zeronet IS insecure if used without TOR (which is the same for using any other software).
Stop shilling for it.

>he thought java and javascript were related

What about with a VPN?

>ISP browser hijacking
Breach of contract, perhaps? Or maybe a violation of the CFAA, depending on how it's done?

Idealists that have no clue about wireless communication, never mind networking.
NOBODY has made a good mesh networking system that scales well. Not even fucking military.
Stop it.

The issue is the torrent sites are captured, there's nothing wrong or specifically detectable about p2p

>zeronet
>storing unencrypted Cp in my hard drive
no

ISPs will never want to comply, because otherwise who would buy their top tier packages like gigabit? If you don't torrent you can be really fine off with 20mbps for your streaming and shit

Encrypted down/up and onion-routed tracker communication. Both are already widely in use.

How the fuck would they know what kind of traffic was going to and from your PC if it's encrypted? Clearnet encryption is sufficient and demonstrated by basically every other secure p2p application. It's the handshake and building more than a p2p network that's difficult to make secure and anonymous.

>corporations arming themselves with 0d ays
truly the best timeline

They just seed the stuff themselves and see what IP addresses are downloading it, then they go to the ISPs that owns the IP ranges that those IP addresses fall within to find out who it was.

/cyb/ pastebin says not to torrent through tor, but I've never understood why

blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea

Sounds like a Bittorrent issue rather than a Tor issue (tor load handling aside)

So how WOULD you torrent anonymously? Have no torrent clients been made that hide your IP?

i2p

Unless that becomes automated, that's more effort than either party is willing to put in.

it should have already been done

dht-dht runs on mainline too

Im glad retards will soon be unable to pirate.

>buy VPN for $30/year
>in conjunction with proxy I am literally untraceable unless the NSA takes interest in my pirating
>download whatever I want from anywhere I want, use a VM if im paranoid about something
>also use MEGA and jDownloader set up with proxies to download shit directly off the internet without even the need for torrents

WAAAUUU, piracy is hard :^)

>getting letters while on VPN

how fucking retarded can you be lmfao

> dht-dht
A what?
Also reading wiki.vuze.com/w/Distributed_Database_Trusted_Feed again I guess it should work with mainline too, but did any other client implement it?

>Your IP is publicly visible as a seed to that particular torrent, the contents of which are necessarily pretty obvious
How do you think torrenting works exactly?

your IP, client, MAC address, location, time and date of downloading.

just to be specific. if you aren't using a proxy or VPN (or both) and torrenting, you are a fucktard.

>MAC address
wut? How does L2 leak into the intarwebs?

>Unless that becomes automated
You say that like it wouldn't be trivial to do.

Just run i2p and torrent

It is automated, retard. In Germany they send out thousands of letters every day. You get a letter from a shady lawyer firm telling you to pay them 1500€ or they're gonna sue you. Most people shit themselves and pay them.

Doesn't that destroy your speeds?

Back to usenet.

This has pretty much eradicated piracy in the ranks of normies. People are shocked if you have a torrent client even installed on your computer.

I think security through obscurity would be best. Something hidden that they don't know exists.

>back to memenet
>when you can pirate 99% of things you can think off from the clearweb with a direct download
>literally google .zip and find a blogspot that has a Zippyshare link
>literally google and find a MEGA link to anything you want

yeah, piracy is going nowhere, bub.

A VPN is just another ISP.

Woah epic simply epic, thanks a lot Sup Forums surely we'll MAGA when all we can use is Reddit /r/the_donald and FB meme pages!

Nah, normies just go to streaming sites these days. Those things are huge.

It won't, I have no idea what they're thinking.

>honestly thinking an anti-piracy copyright troll will get your information from a (reputable) VPN provider

lmfao, what a retard.

People in Germany are scared SHITLESS of the anti-piracy boogeyman, they steer well clear of anything that isn't Netflix. They managed to completely subdue the population with a few thousand scare letters.

One of the main problems with i2p is the lack of selection. I can honestly put up with waiting a day downloading something at blazing fast ISDN speeds, but it really doesn't matter how slow or fast you can download stuff if what you want to download isn't there.

>they steer well clear of anything that isn't Netflix.
no they don't lmao

Not an argument.

Trump will make your bleeding ass great again.

How is it not? We only care about anti-piracy in this thread, not the NSA. If someone really wants to get you for some shit like terrorism, no ammount of security will stop them.

With a VPN + proxy, you simply cannot be caught pirating anything, unless they physically search your computers.

NOT
O
T
AN
N
ARGUMENT
R
G
U
M
E
N
T

Well, when you get fined 1500€ for watching an episode of Simpsons on PopcornTime, you will stop pirating, forever. When Hans-normie hears of this from his buddy at work, he will stop pirating aswell.

PopcornTime is not a streaming site, it's a frontend for BitTorrent.

Yes, I know. And? Im trying to tell you how the "fear" spreads amongst the normies. It scares the shit out of normie-fag when he gets a huge ass fine because he used a program where didn't (in his stupid mind) even download anything.

Me and you know these things, Normie Jens doesn't.

>java

i2pd

The topic was that normies use streaming sites. If they hear about someone getting hit because he downloaded shit illegally via torrent they'll just say "see, told you so, streaming is safe because it's not downloading".
streaming sites and DDL are huge in Germany because torrent users get hit with shit 24/7.

>tfw nobody wants your 5000 torrents

i can always find a i2p leecher for the latest ubuntu or tails usually

Proxy makes your IP in the swarm something else, but it doesn't encrypt anything. Your ISP can still see what you're doing, unless the client-side encryption is any good (I doubt it). It wards off copyright trolls though.

Coupled with a VPN you should be 100% safe.

I think there's a build of a torrent client on GitHub that uses some free VPN or some shit, people claim it works but I never tried.

How safe is Soulseek compared to torrenting?

Soulseek is direct P2P, no? You never know who you're downloading from, but I doubt copyright trolls would be in on it.

A lesser known private tracker is probably the best if you don't use VPN though.

I hope my country doesn't fall for the media jew because my internet is too shit for VPNs

If your country is in the EU or part of the Commonwealth, it's already done.

Can't we use PerfectDark instead?
Or freenet or whatever

Nah I am from South America

freenet is java

perfect dark is abandoned just like gnunet

It's slow as shit(the bandwidth), unless many people start using i2p.

>there's talk of ISPs shutting down your internet service until you pay a fine every time you get caught pirating
They already fucking do that, and it's because of forced DMCA law. ISPs don't give a single shit what you use your bandwidth for as long as you pay your monthly fees, its cheaper for them to just blindly deal with traffic instead of inspecting it to throttle or block it.

Welp time to download everything in my backlog right now I guess

> perfect dark is abandoned
Wait, what are nips using now?

I thought PD replaced it years ago.

japs still use PD, Share and Winny. I think Share is the most popular.

why proxy, vpn is enough, be one with the masses.

>soulseek
proprietary and QT
>gnunet
dead (3 years ago)
>perfectdark
closed source (last updated 2 years ago)
>freenet
java
>i2p
java

what options do we have besides 0net over tor?

VPN apps can crash, the connection can drop etc. You need to use both proxy + VPN for maximum security. Most VPN suppliers give you a free proxy anyway.

Unless you bind your client to only work with the VPN's virtual network card or something.

I just use a proxy + qBittorent's encryption, since I don't live in a country where anyone cares.