/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

magicpackets.net:3000/proudfeet/netrunner
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Crockford#.22Good.2C_not_Evil.22
youtu.be/RT46MpK39rQ?t=25m55s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

C++ belongs to garbage bins

Inheritance and subclassing is the wrong way to do OOP

Agreed

Any way is the wrong way to do OOP.

We are making a web browser magicpackets.net:3000/proudfeet/netrunner

To join the team contact [email protected]

What is a ``FROB''?

OOP belongs to garbage bins

There's already a /dpt/

Netrunner is a copyright'd name.

>Posted before the bump limit
>Sup Forums shit
>Doesn't follow /dpt/ format
Invalid. Delete that shit.

fine, you win this time. Anime is still for children, though.

If Sup Forums / /dpt/ can't even work together to make something like a torrent client, what makes you think it can make something WAY more complicated like a web browser?
Or is this just "UI on top of WebKit #13125"?

>nigger garbage

they are forking links

>UI on top of WebKit
no

>anime trash
I can't delete the post now, too much time has elapsed. I guess the mod gods will eventually delete it.
>mods on Sup Forums
kek

All you need is C++, Lisp, and C for interop

>/dpt/ - Dead programming thread

B-lang had the right idea about types: namely, they're unnecessary. Everything should just be a word, and how it's interpreted should be decided entirely by what function is called on it.

There's literally nothing you can't do this way that you could do with types.
>pointers
If the memory is word addressable, use a word. If not, store the multi-word address at a word addressable location.
>strings
Use a word that addresses an array of words. Write a function to read a byte from memory into a word and return that word; use that function to iterate over the characters.
>structs
Same thing, array of words. Write accessor functions and manipulation procedures that handle regions of the array in the desirable manner.

Prove me wrong Sup Forums

Didn't B mandate 36-bit types or something weird like that?

Is there a way to make a local dynamic web page without open a server and a database? I mean, save all my DOM changes and all that stuff. Please don't bully the web-fag.

No, B just straight up had no types. Correction, B had one type that had no name and was equivalent to C's int. Only type you need.

Sure, it had the "word" type, but it said that a word was 36-bits or something silly.
It's been a while since I've read the B description, but I remember it being utterly inappropriate for modern hardware.

You need at least one type to be a programming language.

>web page
Why the fuck did you think this was appropriate for this thread? Please ask your web related questions on

>he gatekeeps on dpt
>dpt is a webpage

>dpt
What?

you're currently using a webpage
real programmers don't use webpages

Is there a license which would prohibit black people from using my language?
Or are there some other ways to accomplish this?

No, what is ``dpt''?

or just use a weakly typed language like C.

your proposed methods of supporting pointers, strings, and structs is essentially making types just without the syntactic sugar of types in other languages like int, string, int[], etc.

In what sense do you mean type? Is a machine register a type in assembly?

You can't, but you can imitate it with either cookies or more preferably localStorage. Just store the state of the client on the machine so it seems like they're using a server each time they visit.

Only children's anime, actually, but I'll watch those too sometimes

>real programmers don't use webpages
haha

Obviously illegal in many countries (not all, desu most discrimination/hate crimes have to do with employment, being a customer, or violence), but you could quite directly put that restriction as an addendum in any regular license and it'd... well, still never hold up in court. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Crockford#.22Good.2C_not_Evil.22

I'll cross post my post from other thread since we warring now. Thoughts on getting over failure anxiety?

Forgot about the word filter desu.

For me, watching my GitHub turn into a graveyard (meaning a few more misses isn't so bad) and then pinning the success was helpful. If you put out the failures anyway then all of a sudden a failure as a unit isn't so drastic anymore. And if someone's interested in looking at your history developing things, they'll see you were working on SOMETHING during that time.

youtu.be/RT46MpK39rQ?t=25m55s

Hmm that's pretty good sounding advice. So you just work on things, get sick and bored or them, move on, leave them on your git accounts and don't worry about it?

How am I supposed to map a macro?
Is there a short way to do this
(mapc (lambda (x) (macro x)) seq)
]

The macro will expand before runtime, so visualize the macro in your map being replaced by the full code it expands to. I think it would still work.

Yeah, that's the idea. Gets you more used to planning new projects and doesn't turn your initial commit into a marriage proposal. Ideally you want to capture the ones that both strike your interest best and you feel you have a good plan to finish, and push those to completion.

Speaking from experience, it's also good for your career to have a collection of those on your github profile.

i hate video games, what do?

Write a game engine.

already partially have

Learn an obscure language and then shill it on /dpt/ nonstop

my I wonder which regular you could be referencing

but i hate rust and haskell doesn't interest me

Which one of those is an "obscure language"?

everyone acts like they are

So?

i don't know
maybe i should just neck myself

Ok faggots i am getting ballsdeep into CompSci.

Starting formal studies in some months, i need some teaching materials to absolutely crush any competition i could meet, mostly because i am a huge autist who gets depressed when i meet someone more competent than me.

Hit me up

Since you want to feel superior to your classmates, I suggest you look at the syllabi for the courses you're taking and learn those specific things. You shallow human being.

Haskell totally is. Rust is too, looking at a wide scale, but it actually sees some use compared to Haskell.

Not being retarded should be enough. Modern CS is just dumbed down math.

How can a language be obscure if basically everyone knows about it?

There is a difference between knowing about it, and actually knowing it.

>press both foot pedals
top fucking kkkek

He's a CS major. That means he's probably taking lots of software engineering classes wrapped up in his CS degree and like 15-20% actual CS classes.

I think you're looking from the inside of a bubble a little bit. In the actual industry as a whole only a few languages absolutely dominate. We're talking acres of cubicles of Java, C++, Python, C# programmers - you know, the big industry general purpose players. By comparison what Rust has these days is a somewhat unique niche to fill (that it seems to do pretty well). Rust has had a lot of hype, especially on r/programming, HN and /dpt/, but in the grand scheme of things it's a systems programming language first and (probably) isn't going to be the next Java or something. (and no, I don't like Java, I just recognize how enormous and important it is)

@60938144
>especially on r/programming, HN
How about you fuck off to those shitholes?

Who are you quoting?

>@
I think you need a bit more help than I do, user. Anyway, I was trying to be considerate, since criticism of Rust tends to be a touchy subject, but I guess it was lost on you.

>"if then else" is a """special form""" in his language

>I think you need a bit more help than I do, user
I don't visit "reddit" and "HN" so I'm doing a lot better than you.

(defmacro if (pred then &optional else)
`(cond (,pred ,then) (t ,else)))

I don't engage in retarded tribalism so I think I'm doing better than you. When I do visit it's because I can't exactly browse Sup Forums at school or work.

Which is so far behind competitive web browsers today that they have no hope of creating software a Sup Forums user would use. Or even differentiating themselves from Links 2 for that matter, most likely.

Is that a programming language?

Reddit and HN are fucking shit. The users are fucking shit. Keep your filth away from here.

>When I do
Please don't bring your garbage here. Keep it contained to some other websites.

Yes.

Why do you say so?

Because it has a standard and many compilers.

Why would that make it a programming language?

I don't want reddit stink nearby. Fuck off.

Because, given that standard, and compilers which follow that standard, I can make programs.

What kind of programs? Are you sure about this?

Yes.

"Yes" isn't a program, user.

You could at least put some effort in. You gave up on the whole Rust conversation.

>There's literally nothing you can't do this way that you could do with types.
Wowie, you've discovered almost all programming languages are Turing-complete! That means all our programming languages are the same! Why even have more than one? Surely, with this discovery the field of compilers and language design has been entirely obliterated. How could no one have realized this sooner? The next edition of the dragon book's going to have an appendix saying "Wow, this book is completely fucking useless, I'm so sorry"

That's not up to you.

Spam is against the rules, gatekeeper

>You gave up on the whole Rust conversation.
I really couldn't care less about "Rust".

"failure" is something we define. Unless you're speaking of a setting where your performance really matters, such as work or school, you shouldn't sweat about failure. If a project starts to get tedious or dull you can just leave it be and there's no need for you to see it to its end. But you've got one thing wrong:
>if I don't start I can't fail
wrong, if you never try you always fail, and if you try and fail you can at least say you've learned something new.

Holy shit, CS exams are fucking cancer.

>you've discovered almost all programming languages are Turing-complete!
How can you say "almost all" when there are infinitely many programming languages which aren't Turing-complete?

Write it in cursive

Waiting for someone who knows reader macros to give me something like %macro, which translates to (lambda (x) (macro x))

How is it a program then? Show me.

Turing-completness is pretty overrated. Dropping it is not as restricting as you may think.

>"overrated"

Oh, my mistake. Thought you were the same user as before. Anyway, if it makes you feel better, I don't use the other two sites that much and it really has little effect on my life. Also, I haven't watched Flip Flappers but the other two images you posted are from great shows.

I'm talking about the ones we use in daily life today. You can't validly talk about fractions of all programming languages until you rigidly define how you're quantifying them, which would be a lot of work and you'd get different answers depending on how you set it up.

C influenced languages get an automatic F in my book.

This, but C itself gets an A+.

C gets a C in my book

/dpt/ - Designated Pajeet Thread

What does it mean !String , when defining datatypes in Haskell?
I.e:

data Person = Person
{ name :: !String
, salary :: !Int
}

Strict / not lazy

Depending on the type you can also do

{-# UNPACK #-} !T
in GHC (which will store it directly and not as a pointer)

Thanks for the fast reply.
Have a nice wallpaper from a non pure function..

How should I make my language unusable for black people?

>anime watching degenerate
we don't want to use your language anyways, manchild.

Blacks can't program anyway