3. Your thoughts on the English language

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2_word_order)
youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2. English
3. 5/5 breddy gud :DD

2. English
3. I am glad I speak it natively, because it makes learning French easier, and that is my goal at this point.

Get in here you non-anglo subhumans.

mother tongue is Swedish. English is pretty alright, straight forward, lots of similarities. I'm glad it's the lingua franca because I feel it works better than French would. Plus I think english has a lot more room for creativity when it comes to writing

1. Flag

2. Arabic (Moroccan)

3. Good, simple, and easy to learn. Even an American can learn it.

2. English
3. Should be the global language :DDD

delet this

best language

all other languages sound funny and aren't anywhere near as good

Finnish
Useful for communication, but too boring and simple to for being creative with your speaking imo

Mexico
Nahuatl
Bretty good, i didn't learn spanish until i was 7 and started to study english at 10.
I was forced to learn spanish because in my village everything was translated to nahuatl, but my parents decided to move to the city to get better education for me, once i could speak spanish with the common people my father sent me to an english school.

bump

2. Spanish, but also speak German and French on an almost native level
3. Simplest language on earth, really easy to learn for everyone, even Americans.
For this reason it's a perfect lingua franca, it is also a perfect language for music due to its short words.

1. Flag
2. Dutch
3. Kanker

1 France
2 French
3 Basedon French after the French invaded and colonised England. it's basically a more simple and basic bastardize version of French. It's simplicity has it's charms i guess.

1. flag
2. flag
3. I feel like it complicates some areas and makes other things just too lacking. Altogether, it sounds kind of bland to me.

1. laos
2. lao
3. hard to speak

So are you Chinese, or Japanese?

Are you chiapaneco?

English is retarded compared to slav languages.
-t.Pole

>Ayystria
>German
>Anglosphere is very widespread around the world so you can do a lot of travel without bothering learning irrelevant languages
fucking romanics and east asians need to step up theirt english game though

1) Russia
2) Pyccкий
3) It's hard to write on this language, I don't know why but very simple to speak (imho).

Slavic languages sound sort of barbaric when compared to Western European languages (with the exception of German).

2. Vietnamese
3. Easy and gr8

Japan
Japanese
Good. Americans, Indians, and Chavs' English sounds ugly though.

UK (ignore flag)
English
Pretty gud. It means I can communicate with people in most developed countries

>rare flag detected

Spanish

English is ugly and stupid/goofy looking, boring, default, and annoying sounding ect, yet it is simple and effective

Only real western European languages are romance ones and greek, that's why northern languages sound so barbaric

Korean

>B = V = ㅂ

>L = R = ㄹ

>C = K = Q = ㅋ

>J = G = Z = ㅈ

I honestly do not know the pronunciation differences

it's all same sound

And vowel is too less (a, e, i, o, u)

English is very easy to learn for me. It has some completely bullshit rules (pronounciation), but then on the other hand swedish has random genders. (There is some connection to abstract/concrete noun but very little)

Genders in languages have always fascinated me. Like, just why do they exist? I don't mean that in a hostile way, I mean why did people decide some words should work differently than others for often completely arbitrary reasons?
And yeah, the disconnect between our spelling and pronunciation is complete bullshit. I blame Normans

english
i dont think it is a beautiful language, but i think it is the best language to speak about technical concepts in.

Norway
Norwegian (Bokmål)
It's relatively easy to learn for Scandinavians in general, but the arbitary pronounciation still bothers me. Come to think of it, I see why spellingbees can be a thing in Anglo countries.

Are you the "non c'est bon je me rends" kiwi ? Why are you so obsessed with my country ?

why are people obsessed with the us

>Third Empire of France

>french

>I know that some people might connote to the "fox and the grapes" parable, but in the end, we're glad that english has become the leading language for it lets french remain a secretive and "sekrit klub" language. I'd kill myself if on the regular I had to see Indians, Americans, chinks, etc... speaking my language. I don't know how brits handle the shame.

And we're not really bothered because in the end, english is a ugly form of french. In the words of George Clemenceau, "english is badly pronounced french".

Because America is strong

That's embarrassing, now, man

Because we always have to be on the lookout that you don't nuke us, given your history of being unabashedly brutish against, like when you invaded us just because we had german guests all over the country. Fucking Normandy landings I tell ya.

> english is a ugly form of french. In the words of George Clemenceau, "english is badly pronounced french"

You don't actually believe that, do you?

Why so?

Le "troisième empire de France"? C'est surtout comme appât ça?

English has inherited most of it's grammar rules from french, and 55% of its vocabulary stems from french.

How am I wrong?

English has Germanic language structure and the most common words are Germanic origin words

wat
English is clearly Germanic, In fact, it's very close to Frisian.

Let me explain it to you:

When the english revert to ugly-sounding terms, their language becomes more Germanic.

However, when the english aim for alluring words, they'll have to switch to words that are french in origin.

There's a reason Samuel Beckett wrote "Waiting for Godot" in french first: why write in posh english, when you can simply write in french which is the absolute same.

So to summarize: peasant-form english is german-sounding, whilst intellectual forms of english are very french-sounding.

Pick out any extract from an english novel regarded as praise-worthy and I'll single out for you how rampant the french words are in there.

I agree about the vocabulary - there is no doubt that a massive chunk of English vocabulary is French. The bit about the grammar though you pulled out of your arse.

Man you guys are obsessed with this.

>The bit about the grammar though you pulled out of your arse.
Your conjugations are inherently german in pattern, but the syntax and grammar to your language is clearly Latin in fashion. You must really know nothing about Germanic declension and how they structure their sentences (verbs at the end, etc...) to claim that your grammar and syntax are Germanic.

But I suppose thanks about the other part. It's better that we stay friends c:

Meh, entertaining to brag about for anglophones to hurriedly negate it all.

There are clearly some influences but to say the grammar is romance-like is a gross exaggeration. Please correct me if I'm wrong though, couldn't really find much evidence to support your claims except that the English syntax is not typically Germanic (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2_word_order)

1.Flag
2.Japanese(really shit local language)
3.Hard to speak, lerneing.
.... if japanese an official language is English, im very happy....

>Among members of the Germanic family, English, which has predominantly SVO (so that's us, latins) instead of V2 order, is an exception
Erm, I'd hate to break this to you, but your source isn't that greatly at your advantage, though you've at least conducted your research, which is more than what the people I argue with on here usually grant me.

May we say it's a draw then? German conjugation, partially german-grammar/syntax and french vocabulary and partially french-grammar/syntax.

1. Flag
2. Finnish
3. Orthography is a clusterfuck
>English contains, depending on dialect, 24–27 separate consonant phonemes and 13–20 vowels. However, there are only 26 letters in the modern English alphabet, so there cannot be a one-to-one correspondence between letters and sounds.

They are both investing heavily in it but there aren't enough decent teachers to fill the jobs and they have to hire greatly under qualified people to do it. It will probably take them another generation until they fix the problem. I know because I am one of these under qualified native teachers.

nothing. if i have to say something about it the volume always bothers me.
its another boring language as mine otherwise.

1. flag
2. german
3. very easy

1. Flag.
2. Flagish.
3. It's shit.
Not French-tier shit but approaching the French-tier.

1. flag
2. flag
3. easy to learn, and I can communicate with some people from other countries

>this from a fucking pole

czczeehchzhhshzhchcz kkkezkekzkzchzzkkzkrkzrkz you too, zkzkkzkrchez !

To cheer you up, there's one language worse than French. Dutch.

and there's one language worse than dutch. danish

Meh, Danish is not that bad atually.
youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

1. Turkey
2. Turkish
3. Not a beautiful language to speak, but not ugly either

Sweden
Swedish and Meänkieli
I find it useful

I learned danish for 3 years at school, and I thought that I had the language down until I watched a movie in danish. How do danes even understand eachother?

Israel
Hebrew
Other than irregular spelling, it hits a good note between too complex and too simplistic. Lack of diacritics is unaesthetic but good for a lingua franca

maybe slow venian

Ryūkūan?

Israel
Hebrew
Its a nice language, but its pretty retarded when you look at it, fix the spelling and you'd make it great

...AND Polish

North Germanic > other Germanic > Czech > other Slavic > everything else > English > French > Dutch

WAS TRIGGERING ME PART OF YOUR SLAVIC PLAN ?

No, I guess you're not triggered by this.
I mean, not even the French could be dumb enough to fall for this if it was a bait or something.
I just said what I feel. Your opinion may be different. It's totally normal, lad.

Simplistic, which is both a good and bad thing.

...yea, that was a pathetic reaction, sorry

Pathetic like your non-country, eh?

1. Flag
2. Engrish
3. Based

I'd prefer the lingua franca to be Bahasa Melayu though t b h senpai. Everything nice about Esperanto, but a few hundred million people already speak it.

>Humblebrag about multilingualism

>not having the mental capacity to speak more than one language

Not as much as Poland, tho

Yeah, I know.
Which makes you, germany, Austria, Sweden and Russia amongst others even more pathetic, as they could not even get rid of Poland though they'd tried for ages. KYAHAHAHA

1)flag
2)Berber(Moroccan).
3)easy to learn .