/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
jide.com/remixos-for-pc
phoenixos.com/en_US/
youtube.com/watch?v=zA3vmx0GaO8
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first fot init freedom

Second for I'm really not looking forward to updating debian servers next week.

I don't think anyone serious would update any machine not even mentioning production servers within a month of release change.

i want to lick stallman's feet

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

What the actual fuck?
$ pacman -Qi firefox
Name : firefox
Version : 54.0-1
Depends On : gtk3 gtk2 mozilla-common libxt startup-notification mime-types dbus-glib alsa-lib ffmpeg nss hunspell sqlite ttf-font libpulse icu
libvpx
Optional Deps : networkmanager: Location detection via available WiFi networks
libnotify: Notification integration [installed]
pulseaudio: Audio support
speech-dispatcher: Text-to-Speech

>Optional Deps
>pulseaudio: Audio support

Sounds like some pretty deep lore.

alias avardakedavra=killall

What exactly confuses you?

kek, I use magic words as aliases too

Old news senpai. Feel free to maintain and update firecucks alsa backend if you don't want pa. News flash, nobody is doing it, hence the pa dependency

>networkmanager: Location detection via available WiFi networks

>alias is longer than the aliased
confirmed for retard

>missing the point
confirmed for brainlet

Is there any way to make chromium more compact or is completely locked-the-fuck-down?

Why on earth does every UI element have to be so massive?

>chromium
botnet, remove asap

Is there better linux distro for "casuals" :^), writers, poets and musicans than xubuntu? I don't play games and other shit.

Also
>cool software for writing
>cool software for listening to music
>cool software for recording music

deepin

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

hey /fglt/
wanna hear a joke

>rms as "Richard Stallman" on jewgle+
seems legit

Way to chase off potential users with a pedantic wall of text full with niche jargon.

There's really no point in jumping between distros unless you care how the distro is configured/maintained

Can't really recommend anything for the software
For writing you're probably better off with web applications
There's a shitton of different music players to choose from depending on your needs and preferences
Dunno about recording music, you're better off asking somewhere else

>FLOSS
>Free/Libre...
I love how he didn't even want to write the next words.

Why did this happen?
>News flash, nobody is doing it, hence the pa dependency
Why?

>All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

jide.com/remixos-for-pc
phoenixos.com/en_US/

The era of GNU is now coming to an end.

>An Android-based personal computer system
jesus christ why

cd Why did you get a divorce?
bash: cd: too many arguments

Because we can.

because gnu+linux is a long story of failures? because android is actually usable, ergonomic, well maintained, safe, is part of an existing market, has professional quality apps and not one or two random apps made by amateurs, offer an unified ecosystem between your desktop and your mobile?

This is a stupid question
Because no one was interested in maintaining it

>The era of GNU is now coming to an end.
Says increasingly nervous shill for the 234908233rd time since 1983.

not everyone uses pulse, it'd be like dropping gnu/linux support entirely "Because no one was interested in maintaining it"
it's not an excuse
they are giving up on a large number of the gnu/linux and most of the *bsd userbases

>it's not an excuse
Why do you think that firefox devs are somehow obligated to support the configuration that suits specifically you? It's not like you're paying them or anything

Good explanation for your noob friends about what "Linux" is youtube.com/watch?v=zA3vmx0GaO8

they're not obligated to do anything
but if they don't care about half the people not using windows or mac, why not drop support for other os's entirely?

Requiring Pulseaudio has nothing to do with Windows builds and it doesn't affect it at all.
I don't know much about BSDs, but I'm pretty sure you can install Pulseaudio on those.

user, a large number of faggots use pa.
You're in the minority, shocking I know

>chrome is uncustomizable garbage and a botnet
>midori is insecure and lacks extensions
>qutebrowser is insecure and lacks extensions
>firecucks depends on pulse for sound
what browser do I use now

Well Linux is like less than 1% of users on desktop and even less if you take in account mobile platforms
And Ubuntu, which is probably the majority of Linux installs, ships Pulse by default

Taking in account that majority of desktop Linux users are just bottom feeders, chances that someone out of FF devs or maintainers uses non-pulsaudio install are incredibly slim, so why would any one of them maintain alsa support?

>I'm pretty sure you can install Pulseaudio on those
why would I

Wouldn't Gentoo with a USE flag for no Pulseaudio work in this case?

GNU/Linux*

Install Pulse, it's good software which actually fixes lots of ALSA flaws. I have no idea why people don't want to use pulse tbqh.

To have audio support in programs that require it.

>it's good software which actually fixes lots of ALSA flaws
like?

Are you an idiot? What do you think those flags do? Do you think that adding a flag will automatically make a program maintain and write itself? Now that I said it, this might be true, because there was one guy who thought that if he added a Qt flag to every program, that they would automatically get Qt support instead of GTK.

Hint: it won't if Firefox requires Pulseaudio to work.

Someone took the blue pill. Android is a fucking mess.

only firefox requires it
why would I change my whole sound architecture for the sake of one program

retards are mad because it's made by pottering

Are you also an idiot? If you don't want to, stop using Firefox then.

>change my whole sound architecture
Do you even know what you are talking about?

>oss arrives
>reeee it's new it's shit
>alsa arrives
>pulse arrives

>pulse audio
top kek. plz remind me why there is less than 1% of all steam users that are actually using gnulinux if your os is so great

Could anyone explain the differences between pulse and alsa?

Well, pulse doesn't replace alsa tho. It sits on top of alsa in order to give more features like per-application volume, better mixing, etc.

pulse is not an equivalent to oss and alsa you dumb fuck
there are alternatives to pulse like jack and I don't see why it's forced down everyones throats as the standard sound server

Unjokingly, all the sound problems I've had in the past few years have been instantly fixed by uninstalling pulseaudio. I suppose when pulseaudio-only firefox makes it to my repos I'll have to choose between no sound in one program that doesn't need sound anyway, and no sound in my system. Gee, what a difficult choice.

Never used Gentoo and I thought they might have been maintaining Pulse-less Firefox since they're maintaining systemd free GNOME.

If you try the Google search engine, you can find 336 000 results for it.

>forced
toplel meme

Different target audiences.

Stop recommending NSA's data collection system called "Google" in a friendly thread.

>Unjokingly, all the sound problems I've had in the past few years have been instantly fixed by uninstalling pulseaudio.
This.

what do you suggest I do now, use firefox 53 until the end of times?
there are no good browser alternatives

Because popularity has no correlation with quality
>more people eat McDonald's than organic food
>more people listen to Selena Gomez than Vivaldi

If you're being forced, either through blackmail or through direct physical threat, to use certain software, consider going to the police because I'm pretty sure that's a crime.

Maybe you missed the topic of discussion.

see

Organic food is a buzzphrase and you've fallen prey to it.

>tfw the nsa uses the smiley with a caret nose

I'm pretty sure that other search engines have a similar amount of results. If not, he can use a Google proxy like Startpage and inform himself by reading one of those 300 000 results.

>unironically replying to spam posted since years on Sup Forums
hownew.ru

Since he asked in this thread, following the rules of logic, he may want answers from /fglt/ instead of searching the web.

Then he's an idiot because:
>searching the internet for such an easily searchable question is significantly faster
>he considers getting and believing information from other idiots who parrot myths and get all of their "knowledge" from g

How do you know that he doesn't actually want to read the freshest memes about said topic?

This smiley got popular after these pictures got released. It's not far fetched to call it "NSA smiley"

well, that's that
qutebrowser+mpv+firejail here I come

*unsubscribe from roleplaying blog*

qt feet

I actually hoped for a short explanation why pulse is supposedly bad, because there is just too much results in search and too much information in those results. I got that pulse is a layer on top of alsa and now that complicated chart makes sense. I read that it's buggy and over-complicated, is it that?

does anyone have some in-depth info why firefox "needs" pulse now?

Got you covered familia:
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

anyone who has the money would avoid macdonalds. linux is free, windows is not.

ty

How do I get Nvidia Control Panel in Linux Mint?

Install the proprietary Nvidia driver.

So my mail directory changed from "Sent" to ".Sent" for some reason. Now I need to copy all mails from one to another.

Kinda like this

"mv /var/mail/**/Sent/cur/* /var/mail/**/.Sent/cur/*"

because the structure would be /var/mail/domain.com/name/Send/cur/file. But how do I do it? So basically loop into every /name/ directory and move the content of Sent to .Sent? The man pages aren't very helpful

And how do I do that?

I recommend using a web search engine of your choice and typing that question in.

I already tried that, and it didn't help.

I'd cd into /var/mail/ and do a for loop, but shell wizards around here will probably tell you to use one of those shell things with curly braces.

Shit man, probably impossible then.

Do you know the name of the package?

Are you daft or only pretending to be?

But how do I loop 2 directories deep?

No, just new.

Did that, I still don't have the Control Panel.

You don't? You cd to /var/mail/, where your domain directories are, and the names you have to loop over are right there.

Just do something "for i in *" and then "mv $i/Sent $i/.Sent". A list of directories instead of "*" if you don't want to match them all.

Spend a few minutes researching the proper for loop syntax for your shell and doing simple tests, and when you come back someone will have called me a retard for not quoting variables and posted a more thorough and safer example.