Everyone hates Discord. Us Sup Forumsentoomen should make our own OSS version

Everyone hates Discord. Us Sup Forumsentoomen should make our own OSS version.

Other urls found in this thread:

matrix.org/
riot.im/app/#/room/#general:banter.city
banter.city
riot.im/app/#/register
riot.im/desktop.html
matrix.org/federationtester/api/report?server_name=banter.city
github.com/Half-Shot/matrix-appservice-discord
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who's paying for the servers?
Discord is backed by chinese botnet, how do you expect to compete with chinese botnet?

Well if it ever got to the point where it needed large-scale servers that can be dealt with then. Mainly this could just be a platform for Sup Forumsentoomen who don't agree with Discord's practices.

there are tons of free oss irc and making own irc is like 5 minutes

What do you like in discord that isn't in IRC.

It's a Sup Forums project, the point is teamwork and learning experience, not to actually produce a competitive product. Also Discord is completely separate to IRC.

Voice chat, for one.

exactly, chinese botnet kicks ass. why would you even want to compete. china forever!

we need a logo

Open fire jabber is open source gchat, for everything else there's irc.

Logo is first priority

Users should host their own servers. A centralized server is never optimal. Hosts could then implement channels and subchannels.

If you want to decrown Discord multimedia or multimedia expansion needs to be supported on servers or at least client applications. Servers need to support voice chat.

Perhaps the best solution is a nominal amount of hosted servers, with easy set-up for users who want to roll their own.

I thought Sup Forums already made some FOSS communication app.

You think of Tox.
The group chat feature there is underdeveloped to handle public chatting. It was clearly made to supplement chatting with people that are already in your friends list, not directly chat with strangers.

>Teamspeak

Well it's obvious that dev servers are needed to show off the system to new users. But those should be in no way a substitute to user hosted dedicated servers.

>multimedia

>Voice chat
Mumble teamspeak skype hangouts
There, four alternatives without even thinking.

Gentoomen already have better ways to communicate

>implying you need a shit ton of servers
We could go full P2P and let the users use their bandwidth for communication. Only thing that needs hosting is some sort of persistence for storing user accounts and room configuration. Few bytes of JSON isn't such a big deal. All the messages and voice communications would go through WebRTC so no great bandwidth is required.

Here is our logo.

Or instead of starting a new project, contribute to one that exists and is on the right track:
matrix.org/
I say this as someone who previously worked on Tox.

Way ahead of you actually.

There's already a Sup Forums Matrix server up at Banter City, you can check out our guest accessible rooms like #general:banter.city to get a feel for things:

riot.im/app/#/room/#general:banter.city

If you decide to register from Riot, just remember to tick "Custom Server" and put banter.city as your Home Server URL.

Nice, I'll check it out.

>"EVERYONE" hates Discord
>i know! Let's ask a worthless cellphone/OS-trolling imageboard to contribute to an already fragmented market, because REEEEEE NORMIES, amirite?

orbit.chat
full oss

you're welcome

if gnunet, ethereal, ipfs and the like work for file transfer
why not making something dedicated for chat?
everyone hosts everything
everyone is free to create their own servers
etc. etc.

Just wait until IPFS' pub-sub mechanism is done, then it's just a matter of building a frontend on top of it.

Riot's being weird as of late. The server is definitely up and federating.

Try the registration instructions posted earlier at riot.im/app/#/register and then you should be able to join our general chat from the room directory or doing /join #general:banter.city

There's also a desktop client, for the sake of convenience:

riot.im/desktop.html

The Matrix federation tester shows us up and running, don't know why Riot's web client is on the fritz.

matrix.org/federationtester/api/report?server_name=banter.city

What's the "pub-sub mechanism" and what does it need to be feature complete?

Is ipfs open source?

How can I contribute, what do I need to know?

What's wrong with Facebook chat?

Just kidding. How much bandwidth does voip eat?

Publish-Subscribe, real-time distributed message passing.
The current implementation is experimental and basically floods everyone subscribed to a subject which is very inefficient and doesn't scale. Work is being done on a much smarter routing algorithm but it's not ready yet. Although it is experimental it does work kind of well, see

>Is ipfs open source?
Yes (MIT)

>How can I contribute, what do I need to know?
Go or JS if you want to work on an implementation, knowledge of distributed systems and network programming is a must. Good graph theory bases are a big plus.

>Just kidding. How much bandwidth does voip eat?
Very little, opus sounds great at very low bitrates.

would real time opus work over it?

Yeah, you can basically use it to stream whatever you want.

>skype

Riot really needs to implement a discord hook to get people weened off it. I'm not running yet ANOTHER fucking chat application.

There's bridge bots. Several, actually.

was posted in a similar thread.
Voice Over Media

I already have an account on matrix.org and the desktop client. Feels like the federation isn't working... Are there any other rooms I could try?

Already exists: github.com/Half-Shot/matrix-appservice-discord

#minecraft:banter.city

I have no idea what's up. Will check it out some time later today, try and rejoin in 24 hours.

Working here with my own server

It exists

pleas get banter city working user

what is matrix/riot
easy to set up with voip passthrough
open source
free
works well hosted on a orange/raspberry pi