Why do you recomend Gentoo user?

Why do you recomend Gentoo user?

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CONFIG_PROTECT
distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-20170615.tar.bz2
liquorix.net/sources/4.9/config.amd64
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management
pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq
gobolinux.org/at_a_glance.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it's faster and better.

Because it's cool, if you have two computers/phone to do something when it installs

Because anons on a Cantonese sweat lodge image board (i.e., time-wasting faggots) want you to waste days and days learning how to - and then compiling - and entire OS from its source code.

Also because it's a meme around here.

thought it's a meme. I use mint

you learn a lot by installing it

I recommend sourcemage instead

what's the diference?

>you learn a lot by installing it
>just copy and paste commands from the gentoo handbook

Not OP, but I've just recently installed SourceMage on a VM. It's generally cool, but some of the package management is an absolute clusterfuck. i.e., if you don't know ALL the little obscure options and dependencies for each and every package you're installing, the package install process will make your head spin. And hopefully just choosing the defaults works; though there doesn't seem to be an option to "just install the damn packages". Oh, and there's nothing like having to select from the same AWK options for 30 different packages.

Installing x.org and Xfce has ballooned the space used up to 20GiB and counting (still running).

I thought everyone who installed it read all the documentation like i did.

I'm not even halfway through though since I'm not finished memorizing the manpage for use flags

Ah le learning maymay

But I don't.
Install Source Mage.

Install it to your main boot storage device.
Or are you a pussy?

Nice bait, fag.

Because newfags and normies will quit this board easily and give up after knowing they must install all their shit manually.

Because it's one of the few SystemD-free options and I personally prefer it to Slackware and Devuan. Also, Portage is probably the most powerful package manager there is.

>Also, Portage is probably the most powerful package manager there is.
I see this a lot from Sup Forumsentoo-men and I'm curious; what *exactly* makes it "powerful"? How are we measuring "power" here?

It's a meme you dip

Gentoo is a meta-distro. You choose what programs are built with and you can even choose which version of a package you can install.

packages.gentoo.org

When you use Gentoo, you're basically making your own distro.

your thinking of linux from're scratch

USE flags

gentoo is linux from scratch with a package manager

Doesn't portage only tell you about flags that need to be updated AFTER you try to emerge packages? So that you have to manually set the USE flag, then emerge the package again?

>recommend
HAHAHAHA

no it sets default/the most common use flags if you don't specify them, but if you know which ones there are then you can specify the package be built with those flags

No. You set global flags in make.conf and you can override them for each package.

If you're too dumb for Gentoo, then install CloverOS

It's very flexible. You can choose what features the packages are build with, compiler/flags, you can have your patches automatically applied before compilation, you can do things like choose to install the source too (useful for debuging) - and you can usually specify that for arbitrary package, optionally for version (range), for whole overlay and I think some things accept glob patterns too.

Yes, it only tells you which useflags the package depends on after it calculates the dependencies. Though you can set it up so that it automatically writes the suggested use changes and you just have to rerun the command.

>Though you can set it up so that it automatically writes the suggested use changes and you just have to rerun the command.
Hoh? How can I do that?

You know how it asks you if you want to write the suggested changes and it writes them into something like /etc/portage/._0000_packages.use? wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CONFIG_PROTECT

Yeah, I've seen that. What about it?

/etc is protected. Portage can't modify the package.use file if it's protected.

You should manually set the USE flags you want before emerging the package. (You can see the defaults by running emerge -pv packagename.) It's really quite rare that a specific flag is required.

Thus requiring me to update it manually, unless I blank out the CONFIG_PROTECT variable in make.conf?

In the provided link:
>The CONFIG_PROTECT variable contains a space-delimited list of directories where Portage will not blindly copy over new versions of files, but instead treat the files as configuration files where the user should manually check if the changes are needed and valid or not. Sub-directories of the listed directories can be excluded through the CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK variable.

Additional note: portage seems to always put the changes into the file in package.use/package.accept_keywords directories which is alphabetically last. So with CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK=/etc/portage/package.use you can have your manual changes nicely organized in their files, and then have one big messy file package.use/zzz_auto_enable with the changes.

Heh, good to know.

>implying you can copy and paste in a VT
Let's not pretend that wiki users are using a proper live environment to install gentoo.

>>implying you can copy and paste in a VT
>not knowing about gpm

Well... there's really no reason to not just chroot from your existing distro if you have one installed...

Does copy and paste actually work with that?

Well, I install gentoo in a vm and just rsync the shit over.

Because I prefer GCC 4.9 over 7.1. Fuck updates n shit.

I don't recommend gentoo because I learned it the hard way ten years ago, watching gcc on my expensive dell monitor. That fucker actually screeched like an almost dead kitten because of that contrast. I didn't know about linux at all by that time and fell for the install gentoo meme by some mod in an german anime irc channel.
Never fall for the memes OP. You will end up hosting overlays in layman and feeling responsible to maintain that shit like the battered wife you are.

Follow cloveros development. It's like crunchbang for gentoo.

>Does copy and paste actually work with that?
man 8 gpm
>To select text press the left mouse button and drag the mouse. To paste text in the same or another console, press the middle button. The right button is used to extend the selection, like in 'xterm'.

The Gentoo Live DVD comes with a full graphical environment dude

read -p "Enter preferred root password " rootpassword
read -p "Enter preferred username " user
read -p "Enter preferred user password " userpassword

mkdir gentoo

echo -e "o\nn\np\n1\n\n\nw" | fdisk /dev/sda
mkfs.ext4 -F /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 gentoo

cd gentoo
wget distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-20170615.tar.bz2
tar pxf stage3*
rm stage3*

cp /etc/resolv.conf etc
mount -t proc none proc
mount --rbind /dev dev
mount --rbind /sys sys

cat > /etc/portage/make.conf

emerge gentoo-sources genkernel
wget liquorix.net/sources/4.9/config.amd64
genkernel --kernel-config=config.amd64 all

emerge grub dhcpcd
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
rc-update add dhcpcd default

echo -e "$rootpassword\n$rootpassword" | passwd
useradd $user
echo -e "$userpassword\n$userpassword" | passwd $user
gpasswd -a $user wheel

exit

EOF

reboot

Source Mage is the path to true enlightenment.

Bump for interest

Wait but Gentoo can do everything that Source Mage can, the only distinction is that Sorcery is written in bash (kek) and portage is written in python. I prefer the ebuild API as well and you can generally get upstream packages via git and the *9999 version anyway. The timestamped tree thing is an interesting idea but I feel like it will lead to massive package breakages; I've never put it on a production system though.

You can use eix to view use flags, I believe you don't even need to do dependency resolution if you have gentoolkit and just use 'equery depgraph'.

Portage's flexibility is pretty much incomparable, and it's incredibly easy to write ebuilds; a monkey could do it. For the most part, it's just a dependency resolver with a bunch of wrappers for configuration, installation, and compilation. USE Flags is just a wrapper for the ./configure stage, you can add additional ./configure flags via EXTRA_ECONF. Multislotting, overlays, user patches, saved configuration, and masking/unmasking, being able to download right from git/svn/wget/whatever. Yet, Gentoo doesn't make the system an absolute mess and leave stray garbage everywhere. If there's some package not in the tree, you literally just download the package and do ./configure --help or dump the CMakeLists and just copy the configuration options into the econf stage, check the website for the dependencies and dump it into RDEPENDS. You can also run custom scripts in the configuration stage. It works like a charm and doesn't break things for most new packages I write ebuilds for, you almost never need to write conflicting USE flags and usually the dependency tree doesn't go deeper than 2 packages.

What is wrong with writing something in bash?

Is fine tuned for advanced uses, therefore is extensive. If you need help see distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management
and more specifically pastebin.com/tA09k8Rq
Probably somebody should make a better pastebin and be done with it.

>Installing x.org and Xfce has ballooned the space used up to 20GiB and counting (still running).
Because you save the source code. This can be turned off, but imagine the people who needs to do offline work.

>Gentoo can do everything that Source Mage can
I doubt it

Nothing, Gentoo's ebuilds are written in bash as well. It just highlights that it's not hard to write a dependency resolver at an abstract level. I'm not sure if it uses DAGs like Gentoo does but I'm sure it just abuses tsort regardless.

Elaborate

>tfw you consider the possibilities:
>the package management of Gentoo
>the terminology of Source Mage
>the filesystem of GoboLinux

Hmm, that could become something truly unique...

The package manager itself depends on python, don't you think is a little cocky to say it can do everything without knowing in depth?

What is the filesystem of GoboLinux?

Pretty interesting management of packages, but nowadays more distros use multiarch

You can use the typical filesystem format types, but the difference is in how they organize the directories. Lemme find where they describe it.

Here's a good overview of it.

gobolinux.org/at_a_glance.html

What? I'm not aware in any way how Python is more limited than Bash other than the needing python2.7. It can't do everything but I can't think of a single feature in sorcery that cannot already be accomplished in portage, again, other than the fact that it depends on python. I don't develop for portage but Gentoo Package Manager Specification is incredibly detailed on all of its features.

But is it better than multiarch?

No idea; I haven't delved into it enough to tell. If you find out first, let Sup Forums know, at least.

>brainlet can't install gentoo

I never used it, too big for my poor dsl connection.

fastest
support almost everything
easy to install
portage with these use flags hacking exciting I'm normie using linux less than year and it's just best thing I saw
I'm actually see no reasons why I should use something else on desktop at least

>what is --quiet-build

I didn't know any better.