/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Housefires II Edition

>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

If you want help:
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1500x - All you really need for 60fps with power to spare; Don’t get an i5 right now.
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; Get a 1600x if you don't OC
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming.

GPUs:
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>RX 560 and GTX 1050Ti - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games
>RX570 - 1080p@60hz at high, running most maxed older games at 144+hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 - 1080p@60hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; Go for the RX580 if you can.
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@144hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p.
>GTX 1080 Ti - 1440p@144 hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games; You're kind of going overboard with this one.
>Titan XP - 4k@60hz maxed in most, if not all games; You don't need this unless you're curing cancer or something.

General:
>ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
>Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
>NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.

Please be nice to people asking questions. No fanboy arguments please.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/p6ftFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/m2CcLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/PcDyd6
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/YTQnBP
asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory
pcpartpicker.com/list/b6rsQV
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for cool temps to ryzen owners.

mine goes up to 60 degrees during prime95, still okay I think.

Ryzen is good until 90c but 60c under prime95 is still far below what most Intel chips hit. I just happen to have a 250-300w TDP capable cooler bolted onto my 1700.

I have the 1600 with the amd cooler. Prime95 makes the cpu go up to 60 degrees and the gpu on furmark around 65 degrees. I'm happy with my first build.

DELID DIS YOU FILTHY GOYIM!!!

Not bad.

1070 does 1440p maxed out on fucking everything. Why lie?

What do you guys think about this? Would like to keep the build around 1200 currently, might SLI the 1080 next month if I end up getting a 144hz monitor next week. Need new peripherals in general.

pcpartpicker.com/list/p6ftFd

Mostly play MMO's, Total War games, strategy stuff in general.

Did the 1070 jump in price for some retarded reason?

Why is cleaning the cpu/motherboard contacts such a controversial subject if it results in lowered temps?

I have this (plus one more 1070 not pictured, just on my desktop atm) getting me about 27-33 USD a day minus 3 bucks in electricity charges. Do I put the other 1070 on their and buy two 1080tis to mine on my desktop while waiting to build another 1070 build, or just buy more 1070s? I guess getting the two ti's would be better done later.

This is completely retarded.

Hey lads,

I'm brainstorming for a mod project. Pic related, John Henry Eden from FO3 (aka Zax AI unit). I think it'd be a cool thing to build, but what else should I include? General thoughts?

Thanks. Why? What can I fix?

>i5-7600K
>H270
>buying Intel in 2017
>slow RAM
>Kekston SSD
Do your research or buy a prebuild and pay the tech illiterate tax.

if your monitor is 1080p/144hz you can definitley do with just a 1070, you do not need a heavy GPU or SLI at all for the games you play.
get a Ryzen 5 1600x or something similar, it's around the same price as your CPU pick but the i5 lineup is kind of irrelevant right now. get an AM4 socket mobo as well, of course.
if you get a Ryzen 5 1600 you don't need to buy an aftermarket cooler cause it comes with a decent cooler. the Ryzen X CPUs do not come with coolers though.

don't be a cunt.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.I haven't built for a few years

cryptominers, so yes retarded indeed

>unlocked i5 but with h270 mobo
that's so fucking bad

don't pick i5, go ryzen 5 1600 + b350 mobo + 3200mhz ram. no need for a cooler, ryzen's stock one is pretty good.
up your ssd to at least 240gb. pick from samsung, adata, pny, sandisk
don't fell for the sli meme. most of the games don't even support it properly.
also with that 1080/1080ti you better get 1440p144hz. for 1080p gtx1070 will be plenty.

This is my current build. I built it around 1.5 years ago. Hows it holding up , Sup Forums?

Are you guys gamers or something? So many people only have one gpu and an expensive cpu.

How did you connect expensive CPU + single GPU to gamers?

Cause there's no reason to have an expensive cpu if you are mining, and yeah, maybe you bought all the parts except for the extra gpus, but there's no one here besides me with more than 2 gpu's.

According to PCGamer, this is the best budget gaming PC right now.
Thoughts?

cooler?
I'm at 68 at 3.6GHz on the stock cooler

very bad desicions user. and please DON'T go with SLI. is better to get a 1080ti.
That said. for 144hz at 1080p in strategy games, a 1070 is good enough.
I would also advise you getting a R5 1600, while pairing it with a decently fast RAM

Pretty good. you may be well of for two more years.

>gamers
Well that is the most common request on /pcbg/
>One GPU and an expensive CPU
what do you mean? also SLI/CF sucks.

>Cause there's no reason to have an expensive cpu if you are mining
Son, there are more than gamers and miners in the world. Some people have nice cpus to OC and play around with; some do research; etc. etc.

>maybe you bought all the parts except for the extra gpus, but there's no one here besides me with more than 2 gpu's.

Not sure what you're trying to communicate with this. Multi-GPUs can also be chosen for a variety of reasons, not just gaming.

>EVGA PSU
Replace it with a seasonic for the same price.

>bentium

No.

>cooler?

I'm so glad the crosshair has AM3+ mounting holes. Sure I don't need x370 but I wanted to go all in with a top tier cpu (be it Intel or AMD) and not having to wait/replace my cooler is dead handy.

Looking for a fully modular PSU. Currently have an i5 2500k w/ a 7950, but will be upgrading to 2011 (not v3) and will be filling the dimms out and getting another 7950 or perhaps a new card completely. Any thoughts?

>inb4 lol poorfag

I got an old Q8200 system from Ebay and paired it with an RX 560 4gb.

Thank gawd for Microcenter.

>1070 (FOR 449!)
>275GB SSD
>16GB 2666(for $126?)
>$71 Case
>Budget

this is retarded and beyond.
do you actually need a buidl or just wanted to discuss the terrible recommendations of PCGamer?

Yeah. Those temps now make sense.

how come you're going to 2011? got some good deals?

I meant gpu mining. I consider g*mers to be sub human so I'd rather find a forum that is too obscure for them.

What else would you even do with consumer parts?

You don't sli for mining.

>do you actually need a buidl or just wanted to discuss the terrible recommendations of PCGamer?
the second one

drop go 8GB and an RX 570 and you have the best budget PC

>You don't sli for mining.
then why
>might SLI the 1080 next month if I end up getting a 144hz monitor next week
?

Going 2011 because I've found some decent deals, and I also really liked the last 2011 system I had (Before I left for uni). I looked at the V3's and on top of being absurdly expensive, the new chipset isn't that much more attractive and honestly if my old 771 server chips and a single 7950 could max anything I threw at it, I don't need the extra power of the newest gen socket.

>Yeah. Those temps now make sense.

Certainly but even still those temperatures are impressive for the core count under that workload. Heat density is a serious issue for these tiny cpus (an issue Intel slams into hardest due to their process advantage) as ryzen 7 and 5 are relatively large cpus due to their MCM nature which makes cooling easier. It is why i9 cpus are basically impossible to cool at decent clocks (read:

5 1080ti build or 6 1070 build? Limited on electricity, not money.

That's not me.

Jesus Christ I can't stand these fucking losers buying a million GPUs so they can mine for virtual coins and make a 5 dollar a day profit after a year of 24/7 mining.

>Heat density is a serious issue for these tiny cpus

Yeah, Intel's i9 lineup seems to be no0t bad but terrible at this. they want to OC Xeons and rebrand them, and it's not working oujt for them.

Just look at that embarrassing 100°C with the Fractal Design Celius24 with the 240mm rad. That's a very good cooler and to think that it is not capable of mantaining the CPU at even working temps (around 80°C) is just a disgrace.

the same thing will apoply to threadripper, but since the Ryzen efficiency is carried over, and the die size is much higher, the thermal conductivity will be spread out, working greatly in Threadripper's favor.

Seems like AMD is making all the right moves.

if he goes with a1080ti he must pair it with a r7 cpu otherwise the r5 series will bottleneck the shit out of the gpu

1080ti has more perf/watt.
but I donpt know how that scales to the Hashrate. there shopuld be some info aroudn the web. and yeah I supposed that wasn´t you.

Well, those ones that started mining etherum when it was under $80 are now literally swimming in money. all their rigs shoudl be easily payed off by now (if they held onto the eth)
Since then,the value of ETh raised 5 times. think about the people who got in at $20USD/ETH. now that's a good deal

nah.
I mean, you get a 1080ti to play at 4k, right? in that case the 1600 will not bottleneck the FPS.

I'm gonna do one 1080ti build cause I can only have so many rigs. I'd do all 1080ti's but I'm not made of money.

>the same thing will apoply to threadripper

Perhaps but relatively speaking threadripper is absolutely massive which makes cooling much, much easier. I don't expect 4ghz XFR clocks on threadripper but I do hope for low 3ghz territory across all 32 threads which - should this be true - will put threadripper far beyond Intel's reach.

are used gtx 980ti's the best perf/$ purchase right now?

No and have never been. The champion of price vs performance on the used market was R9 290 and nothing has topped it since.

>only two TR4 coolers at launch
>both from Noctua
kek, guess who got the shekels from the kikes at AMD?

Does a patched version of windows10 perform worse than a paid version?
I dont care about the spying, im not instaling linux, thank you

The mining rush has affected 290s. 290s and 980 tis are basically the same price second hand now, $300, and the nvidia cards perform better with lower wattage.

Or more likely Noctua saw and opening to be the defacto standard for TR coolers (given their history of making coolers for other SRS BSNS cpus) and got in there before anyone else does. At the end of the day no matter what one can say about noctua having a poor product is not one of them.

Only because mining has picked up again - in late 2014 and most of 2015 290's were dirt cheap both new and used to the point they were cheaper than the likes of a 770 or 960.

First time build, looking to spend around $1000. Any advice? Here's what I got:

pcpartpicker.com/list/m2CcLD

Looks generally alright. Tips:

- Power supply is probably overkill. If you can find a cheaper Gold+ 550-600W, go for it
- 16 GB of RAM is fine if you really want it, but your build would do just alright with just 8 and you'd save like 50 bucks.
- Try to find higher frequency RAM (3200 or so) because it tends to work better with Ryzen and isn't much more expensive
- Unless you have close to or more than around 250 GB of stuff you want to port over, consider pooling the money you'd spend on that SSD+HDD combo and just buy a bigger SSD, and add an HDD later. This is unnecessary though.

We're Deathadder bros btw, it's a good mouse even is Razer's brand is kind of dumb

>pcpartpicker.com/list/m2CcLD
Impressive if you actually find that 580 at that price
you may want to get faster ram , at 3000 or more. since ryzen benefits with faster RAM.

I also recommend getting a second screen, for a nice shitposting and gaming battlestation.

Also I recommend getting a Hitachi (HGST) 3TB Ultrastar. it's one of the most reliable HDDs and it's the same price for 3TB

Looking for a mATX Ryzen Mobo, any recommendations? Doesn't seem like there's a huge selection.

Mobo is trash, RAM is slow, you can fit a 240GB SSD in there, Toshiba P300 is better than memegate, RX 580 is not going to happen with the current mining craze and 650W is overkill.
Take the following build and make adjustments as you see fit: pcpartpicker.com/list/PcDyd6

I have the AsRock AB350m Pro4

Everything is great..... but the RAM support (for my model at least)

It's the best for the price as far as I'm concerned, just that issue that hopefully will be patched in future BIOS updates.

What's the issue with the RAM? Was thinking about just doing 3200mhz.

Well my specific RAM kit is not supported at its native 3000MHz. and I can only boot at 2666.
Now, there are other ram kits that are supported at higher frequencies. and BIOS updates have greatly increased the list of supportede RAM, but haven't been lucky on mine

can i connect a regular case fan to the pumpfan on my mobo?

Nice. My 1600x hits 49C when running the CPU-Z stress test. I haven't tried Prime95.

Yeah, huh. Doesn't look like the Corsair Vengeance 3200's are in their supported RAM list.

CPU-Z test is severely meh - isn't enough of a cpu killer and doesn't run long enough.

guys I just bought this behemoth did I do well? I thnk its worth every euroshekel I threw in

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/YTQnBP

>speakers and headset

Pic related

>1080ti

I will let it slide since vega doesn't exist yet.

>1440p screen

Should've gone 4K.

The AB350M Pro4 is amazing value for the features it has (including 2x M.2 slots), but the ram compatibility doesn't seem to be as good as the ATX X370 boards seem to be doing. I'm not sure if any other mATX boards are much better at this point either though.

I have the AB350M Pro4 with TridentZ 3200mhz ram, but with the latest bios (agesa 1.0.0.6) I still haven't been able to boot at 3200. I have been able to boot at 3066, but I'm actually running at 2933mhz now because it seem to be more stable than even 3066 was. I also had to manually tweak a lot of the ram timings in order to get it to boot higher than 2400.

I suspect with more tweaking I could probably get it to run at 3200, but the difference between 2933 at CL16 timings and 3200 at CL18+ timings is going to be so small that it doesn't seem worth the effort.

nice but HOLY SHIT that's an expensive monitor, I would have gone with ultrawide. COnsider a good CPU cooler for the 1700, so you can run at 4GHz all day long at sub 60°C
also the network adapter is not AC, so depending on your internet speeds, you might bottleneck.

The stress test runs until you tell it to stop. The benchmark on the other hand only takes a couple seconds.

So it's a better idea to buy 3000mhz ram unless the price is right, then? It's a shame there's no X370 mATX boards because Ryzen seems to overclock pretty well with the default cooler and I wanted to put it in a smaller case.

asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory

I have this from ASrock, and I know the update is there, but the QVL list didn't change at all. Even if I update the bios with the new memory update, its still risky to use anything that isnt on the QVL, right? Like a 3200

Don't really know, user sorry. But yeah I don't see why the lis tshouldnt get bigger and bigger whith every update. Sitting at 2666 until AsRock let's me and i rather not mess with the seetings, since XMP is already enabled

>, its still risky to use anything that isnt on the QVL, right?

Risky? No - you are never in danger of damaging anything. All it means is anything on the QVL is not certified to run beyond the maximum officially supported frequency of the cpu (2666mhz in the case of ryzen).

Don't get that monitor, get the acer variant instead, it has better quality control than the asus. Xb27hu1 i think

>logishit audio
Disgusting filth.

From the benchmarks I have seen, Ryzen gets the biggest performance gains compared to 2133 when moving up to 2666 and 2933. There are more modest gains going up to 3200 which can still be worth it, and the benefits of going above 3200 are increasingly marginal.

Part of the issue is that the obtainable ram speeds are also related to ram manufacturer (primarily Samsung vs Hynix), ram size and number of sticks.

Ignoring manufacturer:

If you have 4x8gb or bigger, you will probably be limited to 2133.
If you have 4x4gb or 2x16gb, you should be able to run at 2400 no issues.
If you have 2x8gb or less, you should be able to run at 2666 no issues.

In each case, you may be able to hit higher speeds depending on the particular ram but these are pretty much baselines. My TridentZ is 2x16gb which is likely why I have issues getting high speeds - most people who are using 2x8gb or less seem to have much better success getting to 3200mhz or better.

Because of my particular setup for sticks/size/speed, if I were to do it again I would probably save money and buy slower than 3200. If I were building a system at 2x8gb on the other hand, I would probably still try for 3000 or 3200.

>580
Ah so anything 2666 will work nowadays, even if not on the QVL?

pretty much yeah. If it's past 2666 it will be dumbed down to 2666 as of this thread.

More or less yes. 2666mhz is the fast ryzen officially supports but make no mistake JEDEC only certifies 2133mhz so most (due to Intel's dominance) 2666mhz ram is valudated so ue to XMP which may or may not play nicely with ryzen. My own 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram isn't on the crosshair hero QVL but the latest beta BIOS lets me run at that speed with stock XMP timings at 80ohms impudence.

At the end of the day I would take QVL as gospel (especially since it often covers additional settings like vram voltage) over saying "yolo 2666mhz works" just to be sure.

Last question:

CMK32GX4M4B3200C16

So that is the one 32gb 3200 kit that's at a decent price and supported on the QVL. $300 on amazon.

HOWEVER. The white colored version is $20 off. But its model in not exactly on the QVL.

CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 with a W at the end.

Thats that officially mean its not supported just because of the W?

I just sold my rx470 for $325, I want to replace it with a gtx1070 but it's almost impossible to find one at msrp. Should I just wait™ for Vega/Volta, search for a 1070 at msrp, or just pay the extra $50 from msrp?

I noticed that too. Nearly all GPUs are being sold overpriced. This sucks.

I'd be surprised if a different colour on the heatsink means the DIMM underneath isn't supported but stranger things have happened.

well. for example, the different color LED corsair vengance have the same ram modules but different skus... if that works. I mean the modules have to be THE SAME.

Same here but with a 480. Does anyone have any guesses as to when this gold rush-like buying frenzy will stop?

Best Buy had a pretty good EVGA card at $400 today with a free $60 code, but it sold out before I could blink. The deal should last a couple more weeks though, so that might be worth watching for when it restocks.

should I buy this or just go for a 1060?

>Only 6 left in stock.
Shit. Better buy fast before miners do it!

Is it a bad idea to use 2 monitor arms on one monitor like this?

It's a heavy ultrawide and I'm concerned about the weight with just one

Is a CoolerMaster 212X Dual Fan a good cooler if I intend to overclock my Ryzen?

So I wanted to build a PC that could play games like rocket league, battlefield and older stuff I missed. And I wanted to do it as cheap as possible. Here's what I got coming
>Dell optiplex 790 with i5 2400 8 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig HD for $50(case is beat to shit but I don't care)
>Gtx 660 for $48
>450 watt evga psu for $20

So for $118 in total how do you think I did? I know it's not that impressive spec wise but I feel like it's pretty good for what I want to do with it and for how much I paid.

what coin is that?

Its entirely down to how far your chip can go. Ryzen 7 at 3.8ghz all core is a good 150w+ chip.

That is pretty damn good for such a price, but i would've upped the GPU if i were you

I assume the 790 is the full case version? Quick google search brings up different versions with compact case. Seems like a decent budget build and if the cpu is socketed you could maybe upgraded it later, however look up comparability list. What battlefield do you want to play? Battlefield 1 maybe a bit too much for it.

Anyone have experience overclocking on a GA-AB350/AB350M Gaming 3 motherboard? What are the chances I'll get a 1700 to 4GHz on this board with an aftermarket cooler?

I thought about getting a 1050 ti but I saw the 660 at that price and thought fuck it, even if it doesn't perform that great in this system I can just sell it and probably lose no money on it.

Yes and battlefield one should run fine on medium settings I'm hoping. I read it's pretty well optimized.

>660
>2017

You aboslutely should've gone AMD. The 660 was shit when new and these days is barely igpu tier.

>and these days is barely igpu tier.
He's getting an i5 2400 though

pcpartpicker.com/list/b6rsQV
Got the first BenQ monitor to pair with my 1600 and 1060 build, but I didn't realize how the refresh rate of the monitor interacted with fps.

Should I sell my monitor to upgrade to a 144hz one or keep the BenQ for a second screen down the line if it's adequate?

Yeah I'll just ask one of the miners if I can buy a old AMD card off then for the 400+ bucks they are currently going for. That would have been a great deal.