Picked up an old WYSE 55 for like 20 bucks and a USB to rs232 adapter for shits...

Picked up an old WYSE 55 for like 20 bucks and a USB to rs232 adapter for shits. I don't have a keyboard or anything for it. Is there anyway I can just use this as a tty and output to it? Whenever I try and write anything to it, nothing happens. Same result with setting it as the default console or using minicom, etc. Also retro tech thread.

The adapter does register as a USB tty btw.

just set up a shell script to echo stuff to /dev/ttyS0

>Whenever I try and write anything to it, nothing happens.
check baud rate

Thanks, but I already checked that. 19200

are there any dip switches on the terminal?

Don't really have any other retro hardware unless you consider some old Power edge 1650s I got from a university.

Not that I know of, no.

Youll need a nullmodem serial cable, its a cable with the wires flipped.

Did you match it on both sides? The term has a setup screen to set its port settings. If you have no keyboard how did you set it?

I mean I just set it on the PC, I didn't think about that. I guess I'll invest in a keyboard.

got these in my closet. I love old hardware, I collect old sgi o2 systems. the one on the left is mint and is running irix 6.5.30. I bought them cheap almost a decade ago and just kept them. I managed to install os and run it, which was cool since all os foundations, overlays and install iso's are available online and instructions on how to install it. just used ubuntu live cd to burn them onto cdr's.

Really cool and you get a kick of nostalgia running this os and surfing the net. If you are from that era, jurassic park and the 90s, this is as cool as it gets next to maybe a fully loaded octane 2 or a purple monster o2 from sgi. Was cool to find out that fsn was actually real(part in jurassic park where they show the file manager being 3d)

Neato. How much did it cost you?

It was delivered locally for both $175, came with box, mouse, camera, mic and pamphlets

this or the terminal needs some configuration on its end, you can also try figuring out its default settings and seeing if you can get the serial port set up to match it or something for the time being

I saw on LazyGameReviews the other day, there is a rs232 to wifi adaptor you can get so you can get it online and browse BBSs maybe?

I'm just gonna use it for IRC, browsing Sup Forums on links, and managing servers over ssh.
Since I bought it second hand I'm gonna try to reset it but is right and maybe I can make one without butchering it because I have a db25 gender changer that I could just niggerrig into one of these.

>fsn

fsn single handed kept SGI alive for a few more years

how come clueless idiots find things like proper terminals these days?

How cute, baby's first unix machine.

Goddamn nigger you gotta learn somehow.

Why tho? It's a useless thing to use if you can just get any crappy laptop with a serial port.
Obviously he does not have a matching workstation/server to use with it or nostalgia.

Why is it useless? Its nice to learn about the past even if you don't have the workstation. He could just use a Unix operating system or a VM.

>He could just use a Unix operating system or a VM.
What's the point? He's going to learn how serial terminals work even with Putty and any shit with a serial port.
Just because this machine has a few key combinations and a menu with basic settings for baud does not make it anything more special.

There would be a point in keeping things period correct if he would use it with a machine that only can be used with a serial terminal.

>I don't have fun messing with old hardware

>guys I have half of this old serial terminal that's literally a display with a Z80 (or related) chip only to drive the serial port and draw characters and accept input, so much fun!
>instead of
>guys, I have this serial terminal for my RS6000 machine...etc..

gotta start somewhere

sounds more like hipster to me, hurr it's old so I can get internet points

personally I got one because of the 144hz refresh rate, I'd rather dumpster dive out a CRT than drop £300 on a meme "gaymen" monitor.

wut
you got a terminal because of the CRT?

I think you have no idea what we are talking about...

>144hz refresh rate
enjoy that 800x600 resolution bro
if you had said 1600x1200@85Hz, that would have been way more believable

CRTs cheap as fuck, for 10 bucks you can easily get a Trinitron (or clone) tubed professional VGA monitor.