I've landed myself my first Sysadmin/operations job. Does anyone have any tips?

I've landed myself my first Sysadmin/operations job. Does anyone have any tips?

Within the first week, identify the weakest member of your team. Be as friendly as you can, social, with *all* members of your team. But help him/her less (or not at all if you can get away with it). You probably won't be able to in a junior role, but if you could set him/her up for failure *absolutely without detection*, that would be great too.

Then in a few months when the scythe of restructuring comes, he/she'll be the first to go and you'll be safe. Rinse and repeat.

What if it's just me and the IT director in the IT department?

Wouldn't it be better to jump ship after 2-3 times before people realize what's going on?

kill yourself

Well then, pretty soon you're going to be promoted to IT director.

Why's that?

Bump

Subscribe to archlinux-security and/or other security/updates related mailing lists.

Learn Ansible or some alternative - it makes repetitive tasks much easier.

Remember about backups.

Test backup recovery procedures. (vide GitLab Database Incident)

FIREWALLS! Not the fancy ones - for example in AWS control panel, but bare metal iptables.

Remind your boss everyday that technical debt is a real problem.

And for the lulz - block all non-SSL protected outgoing traffic.

How do you dickheads get a job? I've applied to at least hundred of them. Still no luck.

Install Gentoo on all the computers.

What do I need to get to become a sysadmin? Should I get an rhcsa?

break shit on purpose so you can easily fix it and fuck around all day. it will also help with job security

This doesn't work if the weakest member of the team is female.

>IT
>Female
You'd have to be extremely unlucky for that to happen.

experience and qualifications. If you want to get into IT and have neither of those things then you need to start applying for level 1 helpdesk work

Even easier - identify the weakest male in the team and tell her that he's been spreading rumors about her. He'll be gone in no time.

Make sure to focus on maintaining or creating good documentation, any idiot can google a fix but only people that actually care deal with the documentation

some fucking slob does this where i work and i will break his riceburning neck one day

part of the reason why i quit the computer industry was because of putting up with psychopaths like you

I have a tip for you... in muh pants.
GET IT?!
SUCK MY DICK!

windows or linux? pure sysadmin or devops or a mix of both? know any languages yet?

some good points.

it helps, but not required. exp > certs now a days. ccna also is good.

i went from tech support at a webhosting company to SRE in 2 years. made myself known working on bash scripts, getting certs, showing im not a moron to the current admins.

Be depressed because you'll never be as good as PurpieDoal436

legendary sysadmin

they'd have to be uglier than chelsea clinton to put in the effort.

like literally a 1/10

Try to learn alot from the senior engineers around you, talk to them about their weekends and hobbies and ask them what they are working on. Ask technical details and after a few questions go away, dont stay bothering someone for half an hour, only do that if they are really into talking to you.

Do your work without making mistakes, if you fuck up majorly, ask for help, dont keep fuckin up more shit.

Back ups, make them, test them.

Ansible, chef, puppet, use them.

If you administer databases, learn plsql. If you administer active directory, learn powershell. If you administer linux platforms, learn bash and python. ALWAYS learn how you can automate simple tasks and spread the made scripts to your collegues so that they can use them too.

Freeze a bottle of water overnight so it gradually melts over the day, keeping it cool so you don't have to risk leaving it in a fridge.