/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
YotaPhone 3 will start at $350, company confirms
gsmarena.com/yotaphone_3_will_start_at_350_company_confirms-news-25671.php

Nokia 3 goes on sale in India, available through offline channels
gsmarena.com/nokia_3_goes_on_sale_in_india_available_through_offline_channels-news-25670.php

HMD requests FCC change model number for the Nokia 9, cancelling version with 4GB RAM
phonearena.com/news/HMD-requests-FCC-change-model-number-for-the-Nokia-9-cancelling-version-with-4GB-RAM_id95099

Leak Confirms OnePlus 5 Will Have A 3300mAh Battery & Return of Dash Charge
gizmochina.com/2017/06/18/leak-confirms-oneplus-5-will-3300mah-battery-return-dash-charge/

Erica Griffin: S8 & S8+ Review Part 2 || Performance After 2 Months
youtube.com/watch?v=3FO-p5ZH45M

HTC U11 vs LG G6 | Smartphone Camera Shootout
youtube.com/watch?v=q0nV2mnDB5c

Moto G4 Plus is just $149.99 unlocked for one more day
gsmarena.com/moto_g4_plus_is_just_14999_unlocked_for_another_day-news-25664.php

Nextbit Robin drops to $118 in US
gsmarena.com/nextbit_robin_drops_to_118_in_us-news-25620.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/huawei_p8_lite_(2017)-8516.php
gsmarena.com/huawei_p8lite-7201.php
honorbuy.com/1090-xiaomi-redmi-4a-international-version-32gb-gold.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>2 more days for OP5

The battery's fine, but it's charging finicky, it only likes certain cables and charges only up to 73 percent, then it just jumps down and doesn't decrease gradually. Honestly, I know fuck all about phones, so no idea what could be causing this or anything. I'd love a dumbphone, but sadly internet on the go is a necessity these days

From the old thread. Phone that will just work properly so an old person can use it. ~150 dollars, but it can very, because I live in Eastern Europe. Can't get Xiaomi or Moto.

Any opinions on Nokia 3?

That's sad, but expected, honestly I might as well get a shit tier phone, not that I need it for anything else than calls, messages mail/internet and some facebook, I don't even make photos. While in Japan I used a Freetel Priori, which cost 10,000 yen, but sadly here the bands are not supported

It's fine.

It's obviously not gonna be amazing but no phone is at that price.

Point is does it have any known issues or something? As I said in the previous thread I want a good running OS that has no problems with running a few normal apps from the play store so I could optimize, so to speak, the phone for an older person.

It's pure android so that's good.
As for hardware problems, it's too new for anyone to say, but it's nokia, so I trust it's pretty solid... As solid as that price allows.

Also, it's not like it seems you have a lot of choices. I'd certainly take this nokia over a low end samsung.

Moto G4/G5.

To LineageOS users here, which file manager/video player/gallery do you use?

He mentioned in the other thread that, that is apparently not an option because he wants to buy at a specific local site where he has credits.

>Can't get Xiaomi or Moto.

If this is true, then he should post all phones available there. Either that or get a random cheapshit phone. But Nokia 3 seems fine.
>2GB RAM
>Android v7
Already above average.

Well there are a lot of brands, but often with not many models. Huawei seems to have a lot of models and P8 Lite is within price range. There are also a lot of Sony with Xperia M4 Aqua being within the price range. With Lenovo and Samsung not being good choices the rest are just not very well known, at least for me, brand names.

The P8 lite is also a decent choice, though it will be an older android now.

The Nokia seems like a good choice.

P8 lite 2017 is alright, the old one isn't.
this:
gsmarena.com/huawei_p8_lite_(2017)-8516.php

not:
gsmarena.com/huawei_p8lite-7201.php

M4 Aqua is a pile of shit though.

I know you said you wanted to order from a specific store because you have store credit, but I think you should consider the Redmi 4A that goes ~$100
honorbuy.com/1090-xiaomi-redmi-4a-international-version-32gb-gold.html This ships from the EU, and even if MIUI is disgusting, it has a Lite mode that you can give to an old person.

The newer android of the Nokia certainly seems nice. And the fact it has an 8mp camera on the front seems nice considering what the phone is going to be used for.

It is the 2015 version.

Check my reply from the old thread about shipping from outside. Also after making some more checks it seems that that the Redmi 4A is within range. But without warranty, because there is no official service I guess. You can buy warranty from the shop, but with a 2 year warranty the Redmi 4A becomes a 230 dollar phone. Even more for the 4X. So I guess it is really out of question. Xiaomi are just not officially selling in the country, which makes it a very hard choice.

>It is the 2015 version.
Don't bother then, it's crap.
Nokia 3 seems to be your best bet.

Best phone for around 500 eur?

Oneplus 5 or Honor 9

The Oneplus 5 will be out soon and is a good bet around that price.

Is an IPS screen much better than an AMOLED screen when it comes to VR?

Should I get Redmi Note 4 or is it worth to shell out just a bit more to get the Mi5? My budget is 150$, but I don't want to go beyond 200$

LG G5, new for 250 usd.

Good deal? I want a decent phone with removeable battery.

Mi5 has a shitty GPS, avoid it.

Probably.

No, IIRC AMOLED is considered better for VR, something to do with refresh rates / display latency. Both Oculus and HTC Vive use OLED, all the Gear VR and Google Daydream phones use AMOLED.

Redmi Note 4 Global

What about resolution?

1440p is pretty much a requirement for mobile VR

Decent non chink phones for around 200 euros?
I though about the G5 plus

With the same screen size and resolution does an AMOLED screen look much more blurry compare to IPS or the difference is minimal?

Wileyfox?
I dunno since you said no chinkphones, go used I guess

>G5 Plus
Made by Lenovo so it's a chinkphone

>Wileyfox
Their phones are just rebranded chinkphones

No the problem is my friends father that wont buy chink shit, but motorola in his head is western
Is ot worth it in case?

Not sure about that. But all things considered, AMOLED is the better choice for VR.

bq Aquaris U/Plus (Plus version is the same size, only difference is fingerprint scanner and availability in 32/3GB)

>non chink phones

Well technically lenovo/moto is chinese.

But yes the G5 Plus is good.

So how is the Nokia 6? Looking for a budget phone, the Nokia 6 is cheaper than the Moto G5+, but I heard mixed things about the camera?
The specs seem to be more than enough for my needs, at least on paper...
is Nokia actually back?

Eh, saw some pictures on gsmarena, looks like ass

maybe I'll find a G5+ for ~200€ somehow

When I select "start adb" from my phone's (stock) recovery, it says it does but I can't connect from my computer.

I reboot and it says USB debugging is enabled, so what's the problem?

Amaze
VLC (APK from the website)
QuickPic (Older APK from xda, the last one they put out before everything went to shit)

Is there likely to be a Redmi Note based on the snapdragon 660 announced in the next few weeks? Should I wait?

No t. Xiaomi CEO

It's always a gamble with xiaomeme. they release a new model every ~6 months. RN4 was released in Jan so a new iteration is probably coming soon.

HTC U11 unlocked or Essential on Verizon?

How long after the note4 was announced did the global version come out?

>HTC U11 unlocked
yes

anyone got sauce of xiaomi store on AE selling refurbished units

Is the LG V10 worth it still?
I know it's almost 2 years old now but the specs are really good, and the replaceable battery is nice. It's also pretty cheap too.

are the hgst drives on ali legit?

I've been using a Galaxy S3 for 4 years more or less and since it's finally dying I want to upgrade. What's the best phone for 500/700€? I was thinking about S8 or U11, I'd need something to start developing apps for Android for college

BOOT LOOP

Oneplus 5, Honor 9, Nokia 9, Moto X4

Is it really that bad?

Yes, LG G4, V10 and Nexus 5X all have the same hardware defect that makes them pretty much guaranteed to bootloop eventually

Only fags use HTC.

How do you like your U11?

Do you recommend any alternatives with similar spec/price?

>Mobile VR

Faggot. Shove your phone up your ass

Quote the price of the V10

Redmi 4x 3GB or Mi 4C 3GB ? , 4x has SD card slot , while Mi 4c has better camera and SoC, i only play F/GO and not take photo often, but when i need to take a photo i want the best possible

Hows the Xiaomi MI Max 2?
Im considering getting one.

what price and features exactly?

Decent

What's the problem? He asked a question, I answered it. Doesn't mean I approve it.

It was like $170-$200 on ebay, and had 4GB Ram and a 2k Screen

>Anime
Go to hell.

you realise WHY they're selling the LG V10 for so cheap?

i'm a big dumb faggot who's never owned a smartphone.
what should i get for around 200USD, and with what no-contract carrier?

You aren't getting a 1440p screen for 200 unless you get a used Moto X Pure

Yeah, I'm getting it now :(

I want a bigass fucking phone with a bigass fucking battery and decent cpu.

What are my choices.

Country?

Mi Max 2

US

Anything not from china?

Galaxy S8 Plus

Everything is from China

MK Explorer

Everything might be made in China, but from time to time the brand's origin is from somewhere else.

S8? Gross.
Guess ill go with the Chinaphone

So the OP5 comes out in 2 days, but we don't know the price or exact specs yet? is this normal for op releases

Ok what's the consensus on Blackphone? I'm about to buy a new phone and want a degree of privacy on it but I don't want to sacrifice basic functionality. What are the pros and cons?

>Just found out T mobile killed their $30 unlimited prepaid plan back in April.

Fuck me. What do I do now?

Do you use any special fonts on your smartphones?

god no, roboto is readable and works very well
I've seen people woth horrible """"stylish fonts""" that only made me want to jump in a pool of acid

Yea, I saw a lot of kitschy ones too, but also some were beautiful.

Ok Sup Forums I trust you much more than the average paid asshole blogger. I just ordered an oneplus 3t to replace my damaged LG G5. What are your thoughts on the op3t? I thought about waiting for the 5 but I don't want to spend that much on a phone. Seems like it should be a definite step up from the G5

if you have any beautiful ones please tell me

I was using a font called Geometria Light on my previous phone, now I just use the stock font

is the mizuno shoe store on ali express the official store?

You took a wrong turn. You're looking for /fa/

Blade V8 Pro

Is there anything seriously wrong with the ZTE ZMAX Pro?

They did ?

I'm still paying $30 and haven't noticed a difference.

Only 2gb RAM, SD617 is a bit shit but for $99 it's fine

It's ZTE. They will update it for half a year and then your device will die. I seriously haven't met anyone who didn't have a fuck ton of problems with ZTE. I used Blade G back in the day and it died literally one month after the warranty ended.
A better chink brand is Xiaomi, or Oukitel.

>much anecdotal evidence
Axon 7 owners have no issues, neither do Blade V8 Pro owners

How good is the nextbit robin??