Is Ethernet-over-power/Powerline networking a legitimate alternative to running an Ethernet cable in my house...

Is Ethernet-over-power/Powerline networking a legitimate alternative to running an Ethernet cable in my house? I'm trying to relocate my wireless router, and a technician from my cable company is saying that there are essentially no downsides. Is that true?

Other urls found in this thread:

techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691
twitter.com/AnonBabble

enjoy your shitty 10/100 connections and good luck if the wiring in your house isn't state of the art

I'm also curious to hear some first hand experiences especially when it comes to latency and bandwidth when compared to say 802.11ac. From what I've gathered when I researched this few years back PowerLine was even slower and with higher latency than AC WiFi in low RF noise environments. Wonder if things have changed.

>Ethernet over power

I didn't know this was a thing. I knew about POE but not EOP.

What's the point?

I've been using these adapters for some time now (with shitty wiring in my house) and i'm pretty content. Speed is very nice and latency difference (vs ethernet) is barely noticeable. Just don't buy TP-Link.

To have an "Ethernet" line without having to run one. It's a low cost solution and lacks the ability to multiplex. Usually better than a wifi repeater though.

Ping statistics for 192.168.178.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 3ms

Me -> Powerline -> Router

Ping your router with say -i 0.1 and post results

What's wrong with TP-Link? Are they just cheap Chinese crap?

definitely worse than ethernet then

My Adapters just randomly go to sleep and then have to be unplugged and plugged in again... Problem is known, TP-Link released a fix which just won't work with my adapters... (I'll have to add: My adapters are a few years old already).
Also, speed is lower than advertised. Im gonna buy new adapters soon, maybe looking into Devolo Hardware.

Having 3ms latency > rewiring my house with ethernet cables

Gaming over wifi was more stable for me

I had a tplink 600mpbs one

Better latency than wireless but kinda finicky.

What's your internet? Thinking of getting one since the fios guy recommended it, but not sure it can hold >350mbps that wifi gives me.

Looks like not much has changed then. Latency is higher than with 5GHz AC WiFi but appears to be more consistent. What power line adapter do you use?
Here's what I'm getting when pinging router with -i 0.1 flag over 5GHz AC from one floor up
[Code]
--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
70 packets transmitted, 70 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.934/2.876/4.064/0.503 ms
[/Code]

I get this exact issue, it makes me so mad. My trick is to leave something pinging the router every second, which stops the shitty adapters from sleeping and so I no longer get drops.

Can't wait to just run actual cables through a house

What are you guys, fucking high frequency stock traders?

>muh

The work really well, but speed degrades over distance a lot. I have the 1gbps adapters, and 50ft away I'm lucky to get 25mbps across circuits. Plus it loses the connection sometimes for a few seconds and has to retrain while that happens but overall it's simple to maintain and works well enough for streaming to music and video devices from the internet.

Internet is 50mbit down, about 40mbit reach my PC... Even though the adapters are rated for 500mbit.

Im doing the same... Still, I guess I'm just going to buy new adapters soon.

Well there's a possibility that it wont work with your wiring, I think AC units or other inductive loads can interfere with them also.

In theory it could be as fast as ethernet but it depends on the adapters and the conditions that they're running in.

Try going into device manager and telling windows to not allow it to sleep the device.
Also, look under 'advanced power' options and remove power saving features while on AC.

it the powerline adapter itself going to sleep for lack of activity, then they shit their pants.

Seems to be a TP-Link thing

Recently made the switch to powerline. My house is fairly large, and the router just had to be in a corner of the bottom floor. Using powerline lets me move the router to my room, which gives better coverage overall in my house. Did a few speed/ping tests before and after the move. No difference.

Only caveat, it really depends on your wiring, and which outlet you plug it into. Luckily my room is right above the outlet that the first powerline is connected to, and that is right above the part of my basement that has the circuit breaker. I normally get around 40/7 and 10 ping. A different outlet in my room gave me something like 20/5 and a higher ping. Not sure if it's just my shitty internet, or the powerline, but every once in a while I lose internet for a couple seconds, but then it comes back.

As far as I understand it Ethernet over power basically just turns your power lines into one big wifi antenna. It works better if the two adapters are on the same circuit. And those gay touch lamps will fuck it up if they're plugged in somewhere in the house.

I ran two tp link 500 MB ones for over a year and only had them fuck up 3 times. In my case they were better than wireless. But it depends on walls and layout of the building.

> anything less than 10ms on LAN isn't that big of a fucking deal.
my shitty tplink adds about 7 ms

If your house is wired for coaxial you can always try MoCA 2.0 for 400mbps over coax. Or bonded MoCA 2.0 for up to 800-900mbps.

I read people struggle to get over 100mbps with it. There's similar adapters to use your phone lines too.

some people like to use SSH without it stuttering like crap
>inb4 mosh

1970's wiring with some cheap on-networks 200mbps adaptors.
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

I bought some for myself that have worked perfectly. Then I bought some for my parents that worked perfectly. Then I recommended it to my neighbors for whom it also worked perfectly. All these are just used for expanding wireless internet connections, so not a real torture test, but they've been quite reliable.

Here's ping to the wireless router I connect to (which is ~6 feet from where I'm sitting):
7 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.989/1.781/2.269/0.494 ms

And here's the router at the far side of the powerline connection:
7 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.576/5.271/6.046/0.494 ms

So it definitely adds some latency but it's been rock solid.

Nope, I'm using it in my 1gbps setup.

Actiontec bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters

I ssh to a VPS across the continental US, never have any issues like that. Ping is 50ms.

Provider is really good though.

Cool, will have to give them a shot then. You running your own speedtest server?

>he fell for the MoCA meme

Nope, that's Verizon fios 1gbps fiber internet.

That's a short 10 foot length of coax. In full house deployment I get 800-900mbps consistently.

MoCA works great if your house coax was done in the last 25 years and wasn't half assed.

How expensive is it and do they have a return policy you could use if its shit. Thats all I would care about.

If its cheap or refundable you don't have much to lose.

Buy off Amazon, the return policy is great, even better if you have prime.

It automatically adds 2ms latency, fuck that. I had a FiOS install recently and was glad to see they still terminate SC/APC and run 1 strand to a mini GPON that has RJ-45 enabled.

Lol 2ms big fucking deal

There you go OP, just do it nerd.

It's about doing things the right way and not MocAing up the joint with SPOFs that don't need to be there

I agree when possible you should do an Ethernet run but if you're renting that might not be possible.

tbqh, it sounded shit when you mentioned it OP, but according to a completely random person online I found here: techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691 it actually seems pretty neat and useful

People struggle to get 100mbps cause they're probably using MoCA 1.1 or poor quality coaxial cable and or splitters.

Renting or you don't want to pull all the drywall down to cable properly.

You're retarded
Ethernet cables don't HAVE to be in a wall to work. You can run it under the carpet if you must hide it, or hang sleds and run it out in the open like a fucking real man.

Real men do whatever the fuck they want. Including using MoCA or even powerline adapters

>real men waste $300+ to do what you can do better with a $20 150ft patch cable
No.

>Ghetto style
Nice homes need nice finishes user.

>$300+
Are you retarded?

www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

A 2 pack of adapters is $130.
Unless you have 6 or 7 wired devices spread across 5000 sq ft and at completely different areas of your house. MOST people won't need more than 2.

>he doesn't think Industrial design looks good
Why are you even on Sup Forums

Most people have more then two rooms.

Not unless your house is already in that motif

Running EOP was infinitely easier than drilling through 64cm thick stone walls.

And? Who the fuck has wired devices in every room?

My router is in my basement. I have it hooked up to a bonded MoCA2.0 adapter, upstairs in my office is another bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter which feeds into a 1gbps switches WAN, which then feeds to my desktop and finally an access point which provides WiFi signal for my upstairs and better coverage to the middle floors since the primary router is in the basement.

I get consistent 800mbps to my desktop in this setup and my phone gets well over 250mbps on WiFi from most areas of my house, at worst it's ~100-150mbps.

I have 6 access points, a home theater, a living room, a server room, and my office.
Maybe if your some pleb and don't have but a isp connection you couldn't figure out how to move and a ap for your Mac and iPhone

Obviously a larger house will require better networking but you're talking to someone debating using powerline adapters, they're very OBVIOUSLY not the person with 5+ wired devices that need decent bandwidth.

No one is particularly impressed with you, you're providing no help in this conversation at this point, just stop.

Still, there's literally nothing wrong with running ethernet under carpet. You can even just tuck it under around the edges if your that unskilled.

> use this
>only problem is it has some power saving features that cause lag spike in games and random disconnect
>solved by running ping - t murouter in a cmd window on another desktop

how far do they work?
could it work with 200m distance?

Power line or MoCA?

powerline

It's easier than running a cable if you're lazy, and provides plenty of bandwidth if you don't need full-gigabit. The latency is pretty good.

Anything more than 100 meters is questionable, there is technically no official maximum distance, it depends on phase, voltage, amperage, and gauge of the electrical wiring.

> Is Ethernet-over-power/Powerline networking a legitimate alternative to running an Ethernet cable in my house?
No, but it can be a workaround in houses where it works (which isn't every house, in some you have better luck with WLAN - walls or not).

>if the wiring in your house isn't state of the art
If the wiring in your house is state of the art it will usually work even less well.

like says, it technically could work but you'll not get full bandwidth.

If you're only dealing with 50mbps or so it probably would be fine, more than that and there are too many variables to know if the speeds would be acceptable, or if they'd even be able to create a stable connection in such a large distance situation.

Latency is better than wireless, much more stable than wireless if you live in a place with thick ass stone walls like I do and honestly for the price they work really rather well.

The only superior alternative is a cable run but if you haven't got the money, time or effort to put into that then there's nothing wrong with just using a Powerline adapter.

I have one of these and it works out pretty well. Haven't played any online games since I started using it so I'm not sure how well it works in that sort of environment.

Not sure if I did this right, but:
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.22:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

It usually only adds a handful of milliseconds latency at most.

I use it all the time in my apartment and it works great

I do this OP, and my internet is perfect.

Install this as part of my work, about a hundred sites now.

Upsides: Powerline networking is generally faster and more reliable than wireless, and slightly more expensive, especially in houses with metal in the walls.

Downsides: it does need better wiring in the house, it can be affected by hair dryers, microwaves and others.

Summary: usable for everyone not into gaymen or who must have total reliability - these people should install ethernet cabling

Why the fuck are you needing to consult your ISP about moving a router?

In my experience it worked okay. Just make sure you don't have anything that draws a lot of power in the area or it'll fuck things up.

No, you didn't do that right if you got 0ms.

Put powerline in in 2014. Works nice. House was built in 1970 so has modern wiring. Older house could be a problem maybe?

> Older house could be a problem maybe?
Older houses / shitty electrical installations pretty much have a better chance of it working.

It's the fancy modern installations where you get many pretty well-isolated circuits and have more problems connecting between them.

I use powerline and live in a 2009 house. It's alright. For me, worse than straight ethernet, but better (more stable) than wifi. The only thing about ethernet is it's bullshit advertisement of speeds. You need to buy one that's at least rated for gigabit of speed transfer for decent powerline adapters. Anything below is shit.

I have to use one for the house I'm in and it works well enough.

I connected the ethernet cable directly to my pc and found out that the speed on speedtest was exactly the same.