Hey Sup Forums I want to get in the I.T game. I just got an A.S in information security...

Hey Sup Forums I want to get in the I.T game. I just got an A.S in information security. But it is useless as no one will hire me. I know how to harden systems. But seems like you need years of experience before anyone will hire me as a security analyst. Been applying to help desk positions and i.t technicians with no luck. Should have gotten a networking degree. But all networking classes did was teach us windows server 2012. So Sup Forums I want to expand my tech knowledge. I read books but I want hands on projects. Downloaded elementy os on my old gaming computer. So you guys have any tips? Any good hands on projects? Do i need to learn a programing language?

Get some old routers and flash them with OpenWRT or DDWRT, configure them to be either routers and/or switches, make a server with your old computer, virtualize a ton of other servers on that (File server, VPN, mail server, etc), then try and make your own hodgepodge home network setup with shit like a Intranet site that has access to your file server and other projects that you can look up
Its a great way to dive head first into networking and its the closest you can get to a real network setup while just using home equipment

All the IT sec people I've met have come up through the help desk or sys admin. Keep trying for those jobs.

If you want to be more than a useless mouth breather when you get there, learn some basic web tech. How DNS works, anatomy of a TLS connection etc.

Same problem. Get some certs. A+ Network+ Microsoft, Apple, Linux, Cisco, etc. Just get the ones you want for what ever job you want.

Volunteer. Church, charities, whatever. Anything to build the experience you need to get hired.

Every help desk or i.t technician position requires 2 to 3 years of experience. Even tho help desk is a spring board. So most people with that kind of experience should have moved up.

I would learn to program to some degree. Makes you more valuable.

I ended up graduating with an IT degree and did a short stint as a help desk before moving to join up as a Data Engineer. Help desk and general IT pretty much blows. Doing operations/development is much more fun and rewarding.

I created my own website and hosted on the web with my desktop using wamp server. Took it down because fast though because it was vulnerable.

My old computer is amd dual core. so can't run any vms. My friend gave me a small server though. I don't know what is in it. But it is more heavy than my gaming computer. Any ideas to do with that?

There's junior positions out there, guessing the job market where you are sucks. Moving would be the best bet then, sorry bro

How old are you?

>My friend gave me a small server though. I don't know what is in it. But it is more heavy than my gaming computer. Any ideas to do with that?
Just figure out its specs and do what I said with it rather than your old gaymen computer

What language do you suggest.. I was thinking about java or JavaScript. One as I understand is for with the web the other is more for applications.

>I was thinking about java or JavaScript

ESXI or Hyper-V

Java is considered good in enterprise environments but a terrible language
JavaScript is okay for making some simple shit for websites but using it to program would only appeal to shitty SJW-type startups

If you want to learn a good language and not want to kill yourself learn C, C++, and/or ASM

Don't forget pic related as well, desi

Don't listen to this pajeet. Start with Virtualbox

about to be 26. I volunteered assisting teaching kids hmtl coding and java for the past two years. But all i really did was write what the instructor wrote. Then crossed checked with the kids. To see what they were missing. As well as doing mundane task the teacher didn't want to do.

I was told I didn't have experiences so I needed a degree to speak for me. got the degree Been searching for jobs since the start of year and only had 3 interview our of 300 applications. rough estimate. but I apply to about 10 jobs a week.

Except is right. No enterprise environment is going to be using fucking Vbox
Learn ESXI and Hyper-V

>html
>coding
Why not join the miliary?
Seriously user, you're not even ready to work as a helpdesk monkey.

If he doesn't probably know how to set up his first vm then the choice is obvious. It's vbox.
With time he'll understand why this software is meant for personal use and he'll switch to hyperv.

A.S?

Do not ever join the military. Even though it will get you an IT job during and after you leave it it will fuck you up mentally and physically
You'll have to go though Basic which is just getting you into being pushed farther physically than you ever wanted to go and being beaten down mentally into a docile state
Seriously never join the military, all my family that has done it was never the same (in a bad way) after they came back

I am getting pissed at the job market. Like there expectations are TOO MUCH!!!!!!!! I feel like my future is fucked. Can't move cause I am getting my b.a,

I would there is even a base up north where I live. But I couldnt get a b.a while I was in. Even after you get out they can call you back in afterwards. So if I sign up for 4 years. It is actually 8 years.

>Windows
>Chrome
>Word
>Firefux
>California
I hate to break it to you, but it might just be easier to kill yourself

associate's of science degree

Windows yes cause I game.
Chrome and firefox yes because I was browsing the web with firefox and I was applying to jobs with chromes. Shouldnt login to things with the same browser you browse with. You should have one for emails, bank, ect. then another one just to browse.

>"Muh gaymes" without GPU passthough
>Not using UG-Chromium
>Not using any of the gorillan Firefux forks that are much better

AND THAT ISN'T EVEN THE POINT LOOK AT THE LIST OF QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES. THAT IS LIKE 4-5 JOBS IN ONE
>HELP DESK
>NETWORK ENGINEER
>WEB DEVELOPER
>WEB DESIGNER
>I.T TECHNICIAN
>AV SYSTEMS ENGINEER
WTF IS THAT BULLSHIT

Hyper v is so fucking basic though. Most jobs I've worked run esxi and vsphere. I wish I started there I stead of hyperv, but it's good to know for mcsa certs and home labbing

Lol welcome to IT. Do fucking everything.

Which fork should I use?

Palemoon or Icecat

Those two languages aren't even related

I bet you also think bluray, and bluetooth, are related, too?

Nigga please, basic training (unless it's marines or army) is just summer camp times 10.
>Seriously never join the military, all my family that has done it was never the same (in a bad way) after they came back
Were they in the shit? Cause you don't get ptsd from boot camp