Previous thread: >>60929132

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, and W SERIES (≤**30, with keyboard swap) if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™
>X60 for the Real Richard Stallman Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zNI_DuNDT3g
strawpoll.com/r28r776
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

holy shit finally a somewhat acceptable OP

arigato gozaimasu

Just bought a T450s
Did I do good ?

(repost from last thread)

Has anyone here with a T4x ever gotten wifi working under Windows 2000? I already installed the drivers for the wifi but I don't see any program to actually let me select a network, which for Windows 2000 came with your wifi card drivers since Windows didn't allow you to natively till XP.

so lenovo removed every driver for the x200tablet from their official page, and I just can't seem to find them anywhere now

anyone know a good place for the most up to date drivers (looking especially for the win7x64 one)?

please help

how much? generally speaking its a breddy nice notebook desu

how are the screens on thinkpads?
i need something with decent adobe rgb coverage.

Many Thinkpads have bad sRGB colors...you're gonna have to look at the P5x/P7x screens for anything acceptable...

absolute trash on most of them, mainly the older ones and its almost impossible to upgrade them to an IPS or full HD panel desu

however, Alienware M14x panels (the 14" 1600x900 ones) are supposed to be almost IPS like so if you are getting a T420 or T430, consider this desu

about other thinkpads: i have no fucking clue, soumimasen

I know the x220/x230 IPS panels have better viewing angels, but do they still give you eye strain after a few minutes like the tn?

>(≤**30, with keyboard swap)
>X60 for the Real Richard Stallman Experience™

This is getting fucking ridiculous. The model/mod guide already covers all this shit.

358,34 USD
I don't have WWAN modem
1600x900
i5 5300u
8gb ram
256 ssd

Try searching with the hardware IDs of the devices you need drivers for

hm, this isnt really that nice of a buy. specs arent that good.

W520 1080p does 95% sRGB. It's more or less the best screen you can get in a laptop for less than $500.

Got my T420s but it only gets about 2 hours of battery on Win 10...despite only ~165 cycles on the battery.

Should I

>acquire new main battery
>acquire ultrabay battery (I had wanted to use that to expand ssd space)
>both
>acquire X220t (I had wanted to do this anyways)
>none of the above... Resign myself to shit battery life and learn to love the outlet

Also.... Are there any mobile expansion battery solutions that can output into the power adapter or directly to the ac plug? I just got my dad a fuck huge 28000 mah charger for his mobile devices for travel... Do they make those that will plug right into an ac adapter?

Thanks!

ta

Hmm okay thank you

Does anyone else thing the /tpg/ threads are the best that Sup Forums has to offer?

get some chink battery, should be good for like 9 months to a year
does the t420s have a mSATA slot? if yes, dont get a ultrabay hdd adapter. if no, get that battery if you want. if you are a hipster, keep the optical drive.
if you can, get the X220 but not tablet, tablet versions arent really all that great unless you are some artsy traveller imo

Yes it has msata... The main ssd is 128 gb and I will free up 15 of that when I get around to nuking the Lenovo recovery partition that I've realized I don't need (would recover to windows 7 anyways and I've drank the Win 10 coolaid).

How much capacity can I get with msata? I really don't have much use for the DVD... Hardware diagnostics says the disc drive works but I haven't tested it yet.

kinda, they're some of the greatest ones but I personally think /cyb/ /sec/ or generally security and privacy threads are the most interesting

programming threads and battlestations/guts are breddy nice too desu

My thought was the the x220 tablet version would work quite nicely with windows 10. Also I am doing some professional study program online and the course ware is delivered via web so I could just fold it up and be all comfy while studying in all kinds of places (with Bluetooth headphones). Said courseware sucks at being delivered on mobile browsers otherwise I'd just use my Nexus 7 tablet (which is great btw).

the max currently is 1tb but they are pretty expensive, here in germany they cost around 400€ while a 250gb samsung evo 850 is just 100€.

Why would they do this? Should I fear for my T510 or T420s anytime soon?

the X-series tablets are very fat compared to real tablets, it's not as comfy as you imagine it

Neat. Thanks! I'll definitely do that. I haven't opened the thing up... How would something like that be mounted or secured in the frame?

Also... Assuming I do the msata... What should I do with the disc bay? I'd like to do something productive with it... I would probably use a disc once every year and a half.

Maybe just double down and buy a chink main battery and ultrabay battery? If I buy fulfilled on Amazon... If and when they do fail within a year I'll just complain to Amazon and they will reimburse me somehow.

nice strategy. the drive isnt really needed if you only use one in a millenium. get a cheap external drive and use that whenever you need it.

look up T420s dissassembly. its actually directly on the bottom with one of the ramsticks. usually you'd find some other card in there like one for SIMcards but they're shit anyways. just remove it and mSATA SSDs are hold down by a single screw, even though it has two holes, it isnt gonna jump out or anything, it'll just stay in place, dont worry.

found the video
youtu.be/zNI_DuNDT3g

Thanks!

Anyone knows some software/hardware hack to prevent eye fatigue from staring at a TN screen for long? Does IPS displays have this problem too? What's the screen type(TN, ips, etc) that damages the eyes the least?

In my experience screen type doesnt matter for eye strain. Use a resolution you can read comfortably and just keep the brightness at a reasonable level.
F.lux is nice software for helping with color temps at night.
Really just remember to blink often, drink lots of water, and sleep well.... you know human stuff.

never had eye fatigue from a low quality screen

only too bright/too dark or sitting too far away

I have no idea, the worst thing is trying the graphics drivers. the only one compatible I've found from the intel page is glitchy as hell

and where would I search on it on google?

What are the noticeable differences between a 2nd gen i7 compared to a 3rd gen i7?

none whatsoever
not worth it
maybe the iGPU (HD4000) but really this isnt too much of a difference

T440S are starting to appear on eBay UK for under 400 GBP. Is it good plan to cop one and just replace the touchpad with one for the T450? Anything I should watch out for?

Maximum budget is £450, really don't want to spend more than this. Broke student here.

My x220's battery drains really quickly in sleep mode(it normally lasts for 6-7 hours of usage, drains in about a day in sleep). What do?

get an ssd and don't use sleep mode

Buy either a t420s or a t430, depending on your keyboard preferences, and be a happy person. Not having full hd screen as option sucks tho

Cool, so i'll go with the w520 over the w530 now thanks

FHD IPS is probably 70% of the reason why I'm leaning towards the T440S over something like a T430/T420

>they dont put panties on their thinkpads

>look up ThinkPad Retro news
>rgbthink com,org,us,net etc have all been registered
>Lenovo finalizes deal with 4:3 screen manufacturer in Singapore
>mfw its finally happening

Inb4 we get an X1 Carbon with a fucking neon logo

strawpoll.com/r28r776

Why do I keen hearing that the tablet variant (x220t) of the x220 isn't that great?

It seems very novel to me. What am I giving up if I get the tablet version versus a standard x220.

Shoukd I get i7 in the x220, or is there any benefit (cost, battery life??) to going with an i5?

I do have an SSD.

then why bother with sleep mode?

:D:D:D!!!!

from 2gb + 2gb to 4gb + 0gb to now 4gb + 4gb!

>06/18/17(Sun)23:14:46 No.60968667

it woarks:D::DD:

Fujitsu Lifebook Ts are superior tablet PCs. Basically the same hardware as in the X220T but less rugged.
iirc Fujitsu holds a patent on a bidirectional hinge for these, which is why the Thinkpad tablet screens can only turn one way.

everytime I post I say the exact same thing, lurk more

the tablets are
>bigger
>fatter
>smaller batteries (only offered up to 6-cell, non-tablets could get 9-cell)
>IPS displays suffer from image retention/screen burn in
>screen hinge is sturdy but will wobble in a bumpy environment
>not compatible with the mini docks
>rubber screen bumper holders on the sides of the keyboard are prone to snapping off

But I like Thinkpads for the meme and nostalgia factor... and the ruggedness.

Why would he do that? he obviously wants a thin laptop with a good display. The T440s would work for him since he doesn't seem to need a quad core processor.

Does anyone know if the mini displayport on the T430 supports audio from minidp to hdmi

it should

Daily reminder to make use of that expresscard plug, desu.

Where do I get a good 9 cell battery for the x220? What's a good price for one? I don't mind Chinese knockoffs (can't knockoff a Chinese product) as long as it works

What is this called and where can I get one?

Holy shit, this might be the real (as-it-gets) deal.

I have been thinking a while, should I go and upgrade my T61 to the absolute max? Oh boy, I'll carrying this bad boy to the year 2025 with no problem at all and the reason why, is that this machines has a Smartcard reader, meaning I can authenticate myself and it would require quite a lot work to get inside this machine (I hope so at least). Honestly speaking, I prefer T60s build quality, T61 feels to plastic.
> 14.1" 1440x900 (WXGA+) widescreen
>8GB Ram (DDR2, and it is very expensive compared to DDR3)
>Quadcore CPU (I would be required to flash, to get 1066MHz FSB CPU working. T500 heatsinks is recommended.)
Will keep you senpaitachi updated when I decide to upgrade this.

Just bought a t400 for $50. Came with a p8600 in it. Is it worth the 10-15 bucks to upgrade the cpu to a p9500?

I just got a message on my laptop saying "fan error" today. What do?

If you got t420 or t430 this dummy plug is already there.
x220 and x230 doesn't have one, but you can steal 54mm plug from other computer and use it.

G41 sold... yey, cahce'd video will be up.

become a Thinkpad Forums member and you'll get the access to the driver database when approved. :)

I like the watch threads and rage threads.

I had eye strain on the 4K panel from the X1C3.
I don't think I get much strain from the ~QXGA+ Pixel, however glare from a glossy screen can be a factor.

It should be able to.
DP is just like HDMI

Where is this fucker at.
No dummy plug
Shit, can I get one that is a knife?Try it out for a week and see if you can't deal with it.
I think RAM is the most limiting factor. 8GB that fucker

Dust off the fan. :)
The model may help too.

im the person with the fan error, the model is x220

What's the recommend HP business laptops models?

what screen do you prefer?

I plan to get 12" and 14"-15.6"

>11,6"
2170p with i7
>12,5"
2570p + quad core cpu
>12,5" slim tablet
2760p
>14"-15,6"
I don't know DESU
>17"
8770w

Thanks.

Is my 2570p cute enough to join this thread?

Should I get X220 for 170$ or go for X230 for 185$?
Core i5, 4GB of RAM, 250 GB HDD.

Can you fucking faggots stop fetishizing laptops?
Computers are tools for a job you fucking faggots sound like you're picking out a goddamn wedding ring.

Can you fucking faggots stop fetishizing cars?
Cars are tools for a job you fucking faggots sound like you're picking out a goddamn wedding ring.

Yes, this too.
>mfw when he thinks I enjoy faggot automobiles and wanna be pretend racers or midlife crisis faggots who want a red convertible to attract young females.

>this is that one faggot that buys lamborghini asus monstrosities

plus, as always, butthurt inducing specs

and upgraded wifi card

>ayy

picking out a wedding ring is infinitely less consequential than buying a laptop

>retarded hardware purchase that becomes obsolete in 2 years is less consequential than choosing the lock to which the pussy you choose for the rest of your life, or otherwise continue paying half your earnings to for the rest of your life.

Cool story brah. I just donate my old laptops to the poor.

>that becomes obsolete in 2 years
???
>choosing the lock to which the pussy you choose for the rest of your life
???????????????????????????????????????
Why would you ever want to stick to one pussy for the rest of your life?

I will never understand how that keyboard style caught on. It drives me insane.

laptops become obsolete, being in denial doesn't change that fact.

>Why would you ever want to stick to one pussy for the rest of your life
Tax reasons.

Easer to clean, more "expensive" look.

>the lock to which the pussy you choose for the rest of your life
>literally a useless piece of metal
sheesh, and we're supposedly the ones fetishing

Just evade retard

coming from 15.4 inch laptop, would i regret X220? They're both at same resolution though.

>laptops become obsolete
When will W520/T420/X220 be obsolete?

>useless piece of metal
Sounds like the ultimate fate of any piece of consumer electronic you purchase.

Engagment rings will still keep their value hundreds of years after purchase.

>It drives me insane.
Felt the same for 2-3 days after switching from old t430 with classic keyboard. Now I just don't give a fuck.
But most of the time I use god tier external keyboard anyway, since this laptop is docked 90% of time.

>just evade
Enjoy your boipussy being ravaged by rakeem.

I've had the same laptop for seven years. no pussy in the world stays good that long.

see

>Tax reasons.
???????????
Are you poor?
Women also become obsolete.

meant

>are you poor
No, this is why you get married.

>women become obsolete
Much later than laptops become unusable trash.

>Much later than laptops
that depends on the women, senpai
>than laptops become unusable trash.
that also depends on the laptop.
2570p is how old? 5,5 years now?
And it's still as fast as xeon powered p50:

>that depends on the women
You can select a women that doesn't expire as quickly.
But laptops will always die between 2-5 years and it's later years you're just basically lying to yourself and pretending the performance is still 'acceptable'.