Good bye Unity. You were the best desktop environment

Good bye Unity. You were the best desktop environment.

f

I bet unity will be ported as a theme and plugins for gnome.

>Good bye Unity
explain

next ubuntu release will use Gnome 3 as the default DE, unity will no longer be developed, but still supported for lts releases

There's one for KDE.

It's abandonware now.

>unity will no longer be developed
>It's abandonware now.
I should've guessed. when will FOSS learn to focus efforts on pre-existing standards instead of always trying to roll their own. Fuck.

welcome to the botnet.

>You were the best desktop environment

Far from the 'best' but I genuinely think if GNU/Linux was to ever attain widespread normie saturation it needed shit like this, a safe gui that idiots can't break.

GNOME handles that just fine. So did GNOME 2, KDS, XFCE, and every other plug and play DE developed in the last five years. Unity was just a symptom of Canonical's asinine not-invented-here syndrome.

>use linux
>care about changing DE on your shitdistro
>foking DE
>DE
you're even worse than apple users

Neckbeards bitch about Unity because it trashed their curated spinning-cubes compiz desktop but forget it was a response to Gnome abandoning Gnome2 and farting out the horse's ass that is Gnome3.

After all this time Gnome3 is still a mess, hopefully Canonical will fix it up a bit but christ the vanilla Gnome3 is pure trash.

>You were the best desktop environment.

>I bet unity will be ported as a theme and plugins for gnome.
That's exactly what it has been all this time retard...

man fuck unity. i miss the pre-unity ubuntu, good old 10.04. all unity ever did for me was re arrange everything i learned how to find and made me feel like i was back in windows. which was not the point of running linux in any form instead

>tfw using Xubuntu because Unity is shit

Why not install Mate then you fucking faggot?

Cool, maybe Cucknonical will fix all the underlying instabilities in Buttbuntu so that you don't get "INTERNAL_ERROR" every fucking day because you decided to install from a .deb instead of from their shit repos.

Anyways, if you want to keep that garbage fire Gnome shell alive then do pic related, peasant.

>ctrl + f "yunit"
>no results
daily reminder unity still exists but just in another name

>GTK
Call me when they will have a proper filepicker.

There is no way to port unity into gnome shell extension.
Rewrite is a must.

Unity was garbage, like everything based on GNOME 3.

This is already possible

when unity first showed up people said: we don't want this stupidfity, give us back gnome.

canoncial said: fuck you, community, don't shit on our dreams of dominating the tablet/phone market.

gnome lost their marbles and decided to try to compete against unity by turning themselves into a bland imitation, against people's will, causing a mass-migration, mostly towards xfce and the new gnome2-fork; mate.

as unity struggles with poor performance, privacy concerns & bugs, core users migrates to various ubuntu spinoffs

enter the new generation, that jumped the linux-band-wagon thanks to win8 and started to use unity as their first desktop and start promoting unity as the "comfy desktop", to much dismay for experienced users.

the current year: the penny finally dropped at canoncial. ubuntu vanilla is increasingly impopular, thus mark shuttleworth decided to turncoat and switch back to gnome as their main windows manager.

now there a new group of people who are accustomed to unity and who'll bitch about abandoning it in favor of gnome3
>the circle of technology

Are you 12?

it was a plugin for compiz, not metacity / mutter

Do we have any reliable information on different distro and DE userbases?

I just wanna know, roughly, how many people use what.

Switched to KDE after the news. Not disappointed.

But holy fuck is the FOSS community retarded, making the fucking GLOBAL TOP MENU IMPOSSIBLE TO IMPLEMENT. There's the GTK and Qt applications that use the menu like they're supposed to (global menu, yay) then there's the fucking bullshit like Firefox and Libreoffice that don't follow any standards and just implement their own menu hurr fucking durr.

Menubar is ded user.
Microsoft ditched it from office, browser get rid of it, gnome move on to headerbar, windows fluid ui don't even talk about that.
It concept is too complicated for normies.