Code an engine with raw openGL

>code an engine with raw openGL
>"why the fuck would anyone not use unreal in current year"

Help me understand this mindset. Would you buy one size fits all clothes and expect it to not suck ass?

>Would you buy one size fits all clothes and expect it to not suck ass?
Depends on my and their size. Same with engines.

you are 6'9" they are 1'1" how bout dat

That's obviously not the case for AnotherGenericShooter/Platformer/RPG/3D game with basic needs and Unreal, the engine made for such games.

unreal is indeed an engine, but its not yours. Its like if there were only one car company, Honda for instance. How ridiculous would that be.

Too bad that's how the market is.

Maybe they're trying to say "Why reinvent the wheel?"?

captcha: ausfahrt seventh

If your issue is that you'd rather use an in-house engine, that might cost you more in the long run AND be technical shittier.

Duplicating efforts is a waste of time. Also unless you are a true autist of genius, whatever engine you wind up making is very likely to be shittier than unreal.

>frameworks

no one's talking about some hypothetical market. All you have to do anyways is deliver an .exe to steam

again, then why would there be more than one brand of anything

unreal is already shit, friendo

>autism

>unreal is already shit, friendo
whatever you make is still gonna be much shittier, broski

>no one's talking about some hypothetical market.
I was talking about the engine market.
>All you have to do anyways is deliver an .exe to steam
Sure, with twice the price.
>unreal is already shit, friendo
Maybe, but still better than the alternatives. As much as I'd like to see competition, there isn't anything serious. Also, the AAA market might not be big enough to establish an alternative.

Show me the engine you've written and explain what it does better than unreal and why the things it does better are important to your application.

Then you're allowed to ask this question.

>Spend a year making your own buggy game engine
>Non neet uses unreal and is already making profit on his game before you've even started working on gameplay.

I agree, which is why I started on creating an engine which is inspired by the quake 3 arena one.
Some differences:
- lua vm instead of the quake3 C VM
- skeletal animation
- modern rendering pipeline

Sorry, you're an idiot

>Show me the engine you've written
if i did I would have to kill ya

>Non neet uses unreal and is already making profit on his game before you've even started working on gameplay
sounds like some faggy drag and drop "game designer" and not a god tier engine programmer.

>>Show me the engine you've written
>if i did I would have to kill ya

You sound like that kid in middle school who was always like
>I t-totally have a girlfriend guys. But she goes to another school so you can't meet her!

lel

It's either shit or you barely/haven't even started.

>sounds like some faggy drag and drop "game designer" and not a god tier engine programmer.
Suuure, everyone in an AAA studio is a moron.

>(You)

forgot that I will also use bullet as a physics engine.
Seems like the best bet, although I don't know how I will handle the C++ Code.

godspeed user

>Seems like the best bet, although I don't know how I will handle the C++ Code.
Good bait. If not: Better use [premade engine], to be sincere.

To quote Sean Murray (yes) : "It is good that game engines exist, but it would not be good for the industry if everyone used them".

>Would you buy one size fits all clothes and expect it to not suck ass?
if you go to a tailor I don't see why it would look bad

>you are 6'9" they are 1'1" how bout dat

see

>non sequitor

>wrong spelling
Hate to tell you but you're a moron pretty much nails it. No matter what you mean:
1) Epic has the AAA monopoly for whole-engine middleware.
2. In-house engines are too much of a risk to be taken into consideration for 99% of all games.

>calling out spelling mistakes on Sup Forums
>shilling epic this hard
you sound like a fool thats underage. Go do your homework or something kid

Guess I expected too much from a bait thread.

>reverse baiting this hard

No

what are you using for audio?

It really depends on the type of person developing the game and what they want out of it. It gives you basically all the control in the world for rendering, but if you're not using it, then stick to an engine.
Some people enjoy writing their own engine because it's interesting to get a bit closer to the GPU.
I typically like to make my shit unique, so I have my own little framework built off OpenGL , GLFW, and OpenAL.

Although suggesting Unreal for everything is really fucking retarded. If you're making a little gay RPG that uses 16x16 textures for everything, just use GameMaker.

>what are you using for audio?
Chromaggus

How far along are you? What have you actually managed to do?

Git repo link?