I9 14,16,18 core CPUs may be incompatible with existing X299 motherboards

bitsandchips.it/english/52-english-news/8509-skylake-x-14-16-18-core-will-utilize-mcc-die

"A lot of users don’t seem to know that Intel – for almost 10 years – use three kind of Die to produce its own Server SKUs in order to maximise profits: LCC (Low Core Count), MCC (Medium Core Count) and HCC (High Core Count).

For this reason we have to wait a little bit longer to see 14, 16 and 18 core variants of Skylake-X SKUs. These CPU are based on MCC Die (Up to 20 Core), while 6/8/10/12 variants are based on LCC Die (Up to 12 Core). Intel has always used only LCC Dies in its HEDT SKUs, until today.

Intel will have hard times to tweak the MCC Die in order to stay inside the TDP supported by LGA2066 Socket (140W, max 160W), and that’s why we could see a new revision of this socket (Intel engineers are still thinking how to solve this situation)."

tl;dr Intel announced high core count CPUs for X299 without even thinking about how they would work. Amazing knee-jerk reaction.

Other urls found in this thread:

bitsandchips.it/english/52-english-news/8509-skylake-x-14-16-18-core-will-utilize-mcc-die
guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_7900x_processor_review,22.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a bios update will be released, this is nothing.

Unless mobo makers have a time machine and predict all future CPUs for that socket they just release bios updates to ensure compatibility with future CPUS.

Way to miss the point. We're talking power limitations, not compatibility. Considering how much of a house fire these chips are, the higher end parts may be just too much for the current boards. Can't fix that with a BIOS update.

This was a problem with many AM3 boards too. Whilst they would technically support the 9590, you could expect the VRMs to burst into flames under load.

Bios update capable of increasing the maximum TDP the socket can support?
Oh wow, are you a wizard?

"The new socket will be necessary due to the pretty low TDP (160W) supported by the Socket 2066 (The current Socket 2066 was designed to support up to 10 core SKUs, not 18). The incoming 14/16/18 Skylake-X SKUs will probably have a higher TDP (200W+) in order to work at the highest possible frequencies. Between us, releasing an 18 core CPU that runs just at 2.5 GHz (All Core) could be counter-productive.

This is the main reason why the 14/16/18 core SKUs will be released in 6 months, in our opinion."

So they either gimp the high end CPUs with awful clockspeeds or flip the bird to anyone who bought an X299 motherboard that can't handle ALL THAT POWAH.

Watching intel completely fuck up with X299 is glorious.

Don't worry fellow intelbro, mobo manufacturers will release BIOS updates which will reduce the power draw and thermals ;^)

NOOOOOOOOO

Either this is the most subtle bait ever or Sup Forums user base is really this retarded

Why would anyone buy a motherboard for a CPU that isn't even out yet? Are going to buy a $500-$1000 CPU now, and then another $1000+ CPU in 6 months?
The only people screwed by this are motherboard manufacturers, who have no idea what the fuck is Intel is going to ask them support.

>X299+ or X300
It's obvious, they're going to admit they can't deliver those chips without Xeon levels of gimped clock speeds. So they'll either get a new mobo chipset to handle the power consumption, upgrade the specs requirements for boards to be able support them or handover the HEDT desktop to ThreadRipper.

>mfw AMD made Intel the new space heater meme

Delete this thread right now, you're not certified to use some trademarked Intel names like "core i9" or relate it to "housefire" or other similar terms.

>Intel
>new to housefires
user they INVENTED housefires.

>English
>Context
>No grasp
>State the obvious
Where were you in last few years when FX CPUs and Hawaii GPUs were keeping poorfags alive during winters?

Pentium 4 ring any bells? They were the original housefire.

>what is netburst

Out of a 10, Intel did a 14/10 fuckup this launch.

Holy shit, as if Netburst 2.0 is not bad enough, now they'll need even MORE power for the MCC dies

How much of a fucking newfag are you?
Where you literally born in 2005 or something? Even 1997 kids remember P4 ads

Explain the image please?

Mario got trapped activating a power-up and now there's no way to jump over or avoid the enemy that is heading towards him and will kill him on contact.

Or at least that should be the case. The game has plenty of exploitable glitches in its hit detection that will allow a sufficiently skilled and knowledgeable player to get out of that situation anyway. To see these shenanigans in action check out speed runs of the game.

Want to know how I know that you're too young to be posting here?

>doesn't know about thermi
I know this is bait but it's too good to pass.

Yeah, that's kind of already happening, though.

guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_7900x_processor_review,22.html

". But most of all the processor performance was all over the place. We've seen perf differences of up-to 20% in-between merely different motherboards. MSI however with it's latest BIOS seems to have found equilibrium. Now the biggest fight the two weeks was ironically game performance, it was severely lacking. Example a platform like this should run Rise of the Tomb Raider at 140 FPS at 1080p on a GeForce GTX 1080. We'd end up at 90~100 FPS. And that problem occurred with pretty much all games. I have been discussing this with the motherboard partners (as yes it is widespread) and we all agreed, it has everything to do with 'hardware P states' that Intel recommends to leave enabled for the new platform. Intel recommends certain power states to keep the TDP in line, as otherwise they simply cannot achieve that 140W TDP. For most overall tests that worked out okay enough, but specifically the toll on game performance was abysmal. Days before this launch MSI however released and provided a new BIOS, this restored the performance to what it needs to be. But as you have been able to see, the power consumption is certainly on that high-side. In the end though, the performance is there, but we do expect several BIOS updates that will have an effect in performance overall, in gaming and on power-consumption."

It makes a confusing mess of a platform even worse, and lowers resale value of older X299 boards. People may also buy X299 board and match it with a 14-18 core CPU only to find it doesn't work. Fun times.

x299V2 incoming. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

t.poorfags

@60988820 (You)

I fucking knew all these i intel fanboy came from the i era.

>World championship match of international competition
>Previous dethroned champion wins
>"And the new champion of the world...!"
It takes a special kind of autism to be as retarded as all of you

The true king of housefires.

Literally seething.

A SOCKET CHANGE A YEAR KEEPS THE GOYIM IN FEAR

>A SOCKET CHANGE A YEAR KEEPS THE GOYIM ON FIRE

ftfy

Hail Caesar Thermi!

I will still go for the i9 7900k for the extra performance

Totally worth it, bro.

Cinebench doesn't count.

not a question about bang, more about performance, they're not FX's.

In what? Gaming? 7700k actually performs better at one third the cost(CPU alone)

>The new tests eliminate the libquantum test component, which was believed to give Intel processors an advantage over the competition. The Intel C++ Compiler had "cracked" libquantum, which may have inflated overall benchmark scores by 5-10% on Intel CPUs.

in the same usage you would have with a Ryzen 7 1800x

The question is still overall performance, but I can wait for the threadripper 16 cores since Intel will take at least 6 months for their 18 cores, right now I would go for the 10 cores i9.

I'd wait for TR too, if the

You will need one of those behemoth coolers noctua were showing off recently though to cool TR.

kek 999$, 300$ mobo for 10 cores

You forgot
>$350 RAM
>$20 delidding tool

yes shlomo

Air most importantly, I can deal with large coolers, and if I underclock TR(or get the non-X version) I can probably run with a regular air cooler since it's under 120W anyway, two 1700's are fucking nothing to cool

Already told about the price not being the issue.
the delid tool is more like 80$ for X299
I would go for a full waterloop anyway, I guess it's kind of a normal thing for high end hardware.

How would you mounted your cooler to the socket? The socket is enormous and the base plate of most existing coolers won't cover all of the dies under the IHS and that is asking for pain.

>the delid tool is more like 80$ for X299
Even better.

This can't be real. It's not possible to fuck up this badly, right?

>Already told about the price not being the issue.

Ah yes, I too enjoy pissing away my money.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up on a consumer version of LGA 3647, maybe with 4 channel memory instead of 6. It's absolutely yuge. I love the massive sockets that AMD and Intel have been coming out with recently.

Bulldozer and Piledriver didn't even run that hot
A medium sized air cooler had no troubles keeping those chips cool

Are you saying that Motherboards have been released where the only CPU's for it disable half the RAM slots and gimp the PCIe lanes due to not properly supporting it and CPU's that will use all the features wont even work on these boards?

Jesus Christ.

The TR socket itself has mounts on the sides, depending on how the two dies inside are arranged, possibly one under the other, the area near edges of the heatspreader won't even come in contact with the dies, so I can use my own shit and niggerrig the mounts.

Failing that, just get any cooler with a large enough base plate they'll be selling, I won't buy it on launch but a month or two latter once I get all the information I need.

At least it will actually keep it cool. Seperate soldered dies + big-ass heatspreader = Excellent heat transfer.

Here's how the dies are arranged. This is EPYC, Thread Ripper is the same but with two dies.

>only benchmark that can be trusted nowadays
>doesn't count
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I know.

Water cooling is the minimum, LN2 is recommended.

TOPKUK

hahaha ..