Is there anything worth coding?

I think coding is interesting. I've dabbled in it since the days of QBasic for DOS, learned C, C++, HTML. VB.net...

But I find it hard to get motivated to actually code anything serious. Aside from making a website, I can't think of any program to write, that someone would actually want or use. Games are out the question for me, since I suck at art. I don't want to make some shitty web browser, or image editing program, or document editor, since all those markets are taken over. I really dont want to make some shitty social media cancer either.

Is there anything worth coding?

>Is there anything worth coding?
scratch your own itch.

embedded c

have fun writing the universe from scratch

oh yeah also i think you're depressed on the inside so coding won't help.

try something completely different

This tbqh.
Right now I'm writing a language for PSG-like music generation. I don't expect anyone else to use it, and in a few months I probably won't care about it anymore, but it's fun.

the codemonkey struggle

Make something related to a hobby, or something that interests you.

It sounds like you are depressed. Head on to /adv/

Contribute to existing projects that you want to succeed like a linux distro (I'd personally choose solus) or indeed netrunner.

Find the most useless language that intrests you and just have fun.

>since all those markets are taken over
if this is all you ever think about, you've already lost. A great program, even if it's in the domain of a much more popular program, will always look great on your resume.

There's also a great amount of proprietary programs for which there's demand for a free (as in freedom) alternative that hasn't been made yet. This is how Krita and Blender got so popular. It's short sighted to think that everything has been made already.

>all those markets are taken over
Are you joking? All the web browsers, image editors, and document editors out there are all shit. And the OSes are shit. Most websites and games are shit too. I'm learning to become a programmer because I feel like everyone else is doing a garbage job.

Think of a friend or relative who's really into something, the weirder and more interesting the better, but it could be just a workaholic, it's ok. Now spend lots of time with him. You will soon realize how much time he wastes doing stressful, repetitive, even hazardous things that could be automated. He will never in a million years imagine this and won't believe anything you say, so just code whatever he need to improve his workflow. He will think you are sme sort of demigod. Depression and burnout solved.

its been over 50 years since people starting programming software. most of the essential programs have been done to death and its all free now so theres little money to be made on stand alone applications. If you want money you have to look into SaaS.

Otherwise i am guessing people code just as a hobby ,they're working on a side project outside their fulltime job and not looking to get rewarded or anything.

>have too many ideas to code
>not enough time or motivation to code them.

This. Most of my projects start out as scripts I make for myself, or just cool ideas.

Code what you want, not what you think you should. Good apps come from passion, focus on enjoying it and something will stick eventually

I think not what you said, OP, but I hope this is useful for someone

>I think it's not

I made a small program to sort the tags and folder structure of music I downloaded.

Now I'm making a game to play poker with other players, across the net, and then an AI for it.

Maybe if you follow programming related blogs etc you'll get some inspiration

Bonus: Make something to manage these challenges, where you can tick the ones you've finished or something like that.
Hard mode: Use OCR to input the challenges to your system. Categorize it by theme and/or difficulty.

How can I find such blogs?

Holy shit this is good advice.

Well a good starting point is hacker news, as autistic as some of the people there are, cool projects are linked there quite often.

Create a viable FOSS alternative to Solidworks.

Code a UI for Linux that doesn't suck dick.

>Everything that can be invented, has been invented.
- Charles Duell, 1899.

The coding part is easy. Getting a good idea is hard.

>Games are out the question for me, since I suck at art.
Why would that matter?

Javascript for full stack web apps
It's the future dawg

but dorf fort is a minimal artistic masterpiece

That myth system and world generation can be considered art.
Still no multithreading tho.

OP Your post signifies exactly why I didn't stick with programming myself, I had the exact same thoughts.

You're not alone.

I thought Sup Forums hated scratch.

Fix that poorly coded emulator.

Yep know this feel, by the time I was 30 I told myself I'd be working on my own projects full time. I'm now 31 and still just tinkering on my own time while I build more CRUD apps for the man.

I think half the problem is I see most people trying to build the next Uber for Pets dot com and I wonder if all the excitement has gone out of software dev.

get involved politically
work on FOSS projects
help everybody get control over their computing
achieve full software justice

There are dozens of programs people use only because there is no good alternative for them, how can you use computer enough to learn programing and still ask question like this?

Sounds like a typical case of "I only know the software industry". There are millions of interesting problems out there to be solved but the cool software blogs and news don't talk about them so they don't exist

That's a really good advice. If you don't have the idea of the century, just write free software that's better than the proprietary (not hard in a lot of domains). You'll have created something actually useful.

I've always thought that the "software industry" itself is boring as fuck, circlejerking on the silicon valley and on how to solve everyone's problems by creating another fucking chat app.

Go find a job in something only tangentially related to software. An actually useful and interesting industry in need of programmers.

>GNU/Lawyers buttraping Applel

Only if. But they actively phasing out as much GPLd software from OSX as they can and make/invest in permissive license shit like LLVM so it's the dum goyim who works for the FOR FREE.

I like making bots and trainers for online and offline games.
It's fun and you will actually have a use for it. Just run it yourself and get ingame-rich.
Other people would have a lot of use for it too, but whether you want to release it is a moral problem. You'll be responsible for the bots/"hacks" and when the company takes action you will probably get banned yourself.
But anyway, automating stuff in general is pretty fun and useful.

I wish there was a non-shit gimp.