/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
YotaPhone 3 will start at $350, company confirms
gsmarena.com/yotaphone_3_will_start_at_350_company_confirms-news-25671.php

Nokia 3 goes on sale in India, available through offline channels
gsmarena.com/nokia_3_goes_on_sale_in_india_available_through_offline_channels-news-25670.php

HMD requests FCC change model number for the Nokia 9, cancelling version with 4GB RAM
phonearena.com/news/HMD-requests-FCC-change-model-number-for-the-Nokia-9-cancelling-version-with-4GB-RAM_id95099

Leak Confirms OnePlus 5 Will Have A 3300mAh Battery & Return of Dash Charge
gizmochina.com/2017/06/18/leak-confirms-oneplus-5-will-3300mah-battery-return-dash-charge/

Erica Griffin: S8 & S8+ Review Part 2 || Performance After 2 Months
youtube.com/watch?v=3FO-p5ZH45M

HTC U11 vs LG G6 | Smartphone Camera Shootout
youtube.com/watch?v=q0nV2mnDB5c

Moto G4 Plus is just $149.99 unlocked for one more day
gsmarena.com/moto_g4_plus_is_just_14999_unlocked_for_another_day-news-25664.php

Nextbit Robin drops to $118 in US
gsmarena.com/nextbit_robin_drops_to_118_in_us-news-25620.php

Old

How do i get rid of a Note 4's bloatware?

also first for being late to the party

[spoiler]i think im following a root guide?

I'm thinking of getting the nextbit robin for my sister. It's $118 at newegg right now. I mean, it's probably gonna become rare right? Aside from battery, the specs seem alright.

I was going to get it until I heard the battery life was pretty mediocre and they overheat easily.

I did it. I fell for the Blackberry meme.

I heard the people in the phone store laughing at me, but I finally got a real keyboard.

lg g3 is still a good phone?

how does it now feel to be "that guy" ?

Hey it could be worse. I was almost the guy with pic related. But for that much money decided on a black op3t and am happy with it

I really like the BB priv, and it is almost perfect for a project I'm planning.
But the lack of rom support for proper security is a killer.
Is there anything else like it, or well, anything with a keyboard and can be had for around $200

are there custom roms for that model?

if not then I wouldn't consider

Although people need it for business and social lifestyles

I just don't want Google Play Storeā„¢

Anything homebrew on Android words on the KeyOne, because it's Android too. It's not a good idea, though, because the appeal of the KeyOne was its advanced security features, which memebrew often removes.

You'll lose DTEK which only runs on Blackberries. (DTEK is an app that intentionally looks for security vulnerabilities in your phone.) You'll lose the on-the-fly decryption which uses AES/Rijndael (256-bit, FIPS 197) for a weaker alternative, usually Serpent or Twofish, common in custom memebrews. You'll lose EEM and MDM (although there's alternatives in the google play store for both of these). You lose encrypted texts as well.

The KeyOne is a weird phone. It's meant for people who care about privacy and security, but if you really care about privacy and security you wouldn't own a smartphone.

Anyone here ever used a moto 360 2nd gen? They've become total phone nazis at work and looking for a loophole. Any other model suggestions? Using it on Android and my budget is $200

If I don't care about the camera, how much of an upgrade is the OP5 over a 3T from what we know? Swappa's been having 128gb 3ts for ~400 when I check and it's been tempting, but I was holding out to see the op5 in action.

Just wait until tomorrow morning and we'll know everything there is to know.
Personally, I feel that if they remove the headphone jack or neuter even one feature from the 3T, the 3T will end up being a better deal.

Sup Forums I need your help - I'm finally gonna upgrade my smartphone after 4 years of using an apple 5 iphone.

Looking at the Sony Xperia XZ premium, Samsung S8 or the Sharp Aquos R. Can you redpill me on these choices?

Live in Japan, carrier Au (current), planning to switch to docomo

My note 4 battery has been draining crazy fast on stand-by these past few days. What is going on?

Sounds like it's time for a new battery

I own ans S8+. Does that make all of you my slaves?

My galaxy S5 was doing that recently. I force stopped chrome, turned the phone off and removed the battery for 10 seconds. then turned it back on and its been fine since.

p sure it's the only that doesn't bootloop :^)

Probably about to buy the Zuk Z2, anything specific I should know before I pull the trigger?
What's the best chinkstore to buy it from?

You need Root. Use any file explorer, I use an older version of ES File Explorer (New one's fucking trash). Go to the System Apps tab and uninstall unnecessary shit. Good luck

Not just that the phone is built a like Chocolate bar

XZ Premium, Performance-wise better than the S8 but
>muh bezelz
Other than that S8 is actually a pretty good choice.

So where is the best place to buy phones for an americuck?

Thanks, i kept hearing about the bezel issue, but it sounds like a non-issue as I'll be using a case. Xperia it is then

What's a good phone for $150-160? Pls. no underpowered SD625.

Unironically ebay

>$150-160
>no underpowered SD625

You ain't getting no 835 with that budget buddy

For just a few dollars more than that you can get a note 4

You're gonna just get worse than an 625 for that price.

Looking to upgrade from iphone 5s to an android device. I'm looking at the oneplus 5 and the samsung s8.(for $440 if i trade in my phone)

Obviously nobody *really* knows about the oneplus 5 until tomorrow but what's the Sup Forumseneral consensus on the Samsung S8?

Galaxy Note 4?

Yup

What about an SD652? Le 2 x520 is $117 in Gearbest HK.

this feels like a dumb question but

when DOES the oneplus 5 come out? it's technically midday tomorrow in china, and morning in europe, and I don't see an option to purchase it anywhere online

When they feel like it

that's because the reveal is at 12pm edt, genius

The 625 is faster than the 652 you dumdum. The numbers don't represent speed. For example the newer 600 series chips are faster and more advanced than the old the 800 series chips used on many old flagships.

SD652 Geekbench is higher than SD625. Retard.

What's a good cheap service for 2 Americans? Was gonna go T-Mobile for 100/mo unlimited everything and grab two s7

Depends on where you are. In rural GA where I am tmo and sprint are about useless.

We're in d.c and rarely go far from cities

You should be fine with t-mobile then. I don't think anyone but sprint beats their price point but I wouldn't go there.

I have had a RN3P for a year now and decided to change. What phone would you recommend under 200 dollars?

So I fell for the meme and got a Redmi Note 3 Pro. Fingerprint sensor doesnt show up in the settings, the battery only lasts like half a day even if I dont use it, it gets insanely hot pretty fast after normal use, and it already has scratches on the back. Do I install a CFW or just throw it away?

Does the Xiaomi Mi Max 2 fit inside Mi Max cases?

I don't have problems finding this phone in my country, just accessories

I have a smartphone question but didnt want to make a new thread about it.

Is there any way to run ~10 same apps at once. Like 10 instagrams or whatsapps. Even on PC, is there any way?

Why

Catfishing. Now pls respond

Out of stock lol

Does Redmi Note 3 Cases/Covers fit on the Redmi Note 4? There's this rubberized cover that I really like but they are advertising it as a cover for RN3.

Yes (Although I am not sure if it will work for you). But you do have to be rooted.

Thanks friend.

Nougat phones support multiple profiles/accounts. I'm pretty sure each account has separate app data so you can make 10 and use separate accounts, but you'll have to switch between accounts.
Xiaomi phones can install multiple instances of apps, but I think they're limited to 2. You won't have to switch between accounts, they'll both run at the same time.
On a PC, you can set up multiple android virtual machines and just run them all at once. But you need a really powerful PC to run 10 VMs. As in, at least 24GB RAM, an SSD and a Ryzen or some other high end processor with lots of cores.
There are tools for rooted phones to do this.
Also, if you could rebuild apps to have different package names you could install multiple of them even on a non-rooted phone. But I'm pretty sure you need an apps source for this.

I'm looking to buy a used iPhone.
As someone who doesn't use any Apple devices, what are some things I should look out for/test before buying?

Do NOT get a used iPhone. Chances are it'll be locked down either immediately or after you factory reset it because most people don't remove ownership before selling. If you want to actually buy a used iPhone then you must go and buy it in person and ask the person you're buying it from to immediately transfer their ownership to you by first making a factory reset and then letting you change the devices account into your Apple account.
iPhones are the riskiest phones to get 2nd hand. Just buy a new or used Android device. Android is much better than iOS anyway, isn't as restricted and you won't have to deal with lagTunes.

I was already planning to go in person. It's just that as somebody who is not familiar with iOS, I was wondering what to look out for.

And the phone is not for me.

LG G6 Plus with 32 bit quad DAC announced.

Just make sure that the seller turns off Find My iPhone and unlinks their Apple ID. After that you can factory reset and log in with your own Apple ID.

Also make sure the serial number of the phone matches the one on the box.

Today's OnePlus 5 release day, although we already know everything:
>camera is not centered, and still sticks out the back, but promise good performance
>decent battery
>1080p AMOLED
>fuckhuge bezels
>$600

So is OnePlus officially dead? Their strength was the aggressive pricing with excellent specs, but now it's just excellent specs like everyone else in the market.

What will replace it?

Wasn't it $500 not $600?

Nah, Xiaomi were always cheaper. Their strength is custom ROMs.

I want to update the board help me out by adding suggestions. USD*.
around is rounding up or down*.

good phones under 100?
good phones at 150?
good phones at 160?
good phones around 200?
good phones around 300?
good phones around 500?
flagship over 600?

Oh yes, you're right, the 6GB/64GB model is $500, the 8GB/128GB one is $600
Yeah, but Xiaomi wasn't that good, and it went down the shitter when they removed the headphone jack from the Mi6.

>Xiaomi wasn't good

>synthetic benchmarks

Why should I not buy the Redmi Note 4?

>the board
what?

Mi6 and s8+ have the same SOC, why are scores so different?

shit the wiki

lagwizz

pajeet btfo

>good phones under 100?
None.
>good phones at 150?
Xiaomi Redmi 4X
>good phones at 160?
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X (170$)
>good phones around 200?
Oukitel K10000 Pro
>good phones around 300?
Sony Xperia X, Xperia X Compact, Xiaomi Mi Max 2
>good phones around 500?
Xiaomi Mi 6
>flagship over 600?
Sony Xperia XZ Premium

He means wiki.

Fuck, meant for , not @60988442

The /csg/ wiki? So you're after chink phone recommendations?

whats the general conseus on Lineage OS?
I'm considering on moving to it on my Xperia Z2 because im fucking tired of the (((What's New))) ads i get more and more frequently

is Lineage actually useable, or is it better to root a "default" rom and remove adware

Perfectly usable but it's the most bare-bones custom.

alright, barebones is great since currelntly i only have lightning browser and wolfram alpha installed apart from the default shit
how does it handle performance wise do you know? batterylife and such
also is it as stable as any other rom?

>is Lineage actually useable
That depends on the phone you have, for one model the LineageOS build might be very stable and bug-free, for another it might barely boot up.

It's the most popular custom ROM though, and thus gets the most work / development put in to it, so in terms of custom ROMs it's usually the safest bet for a stable, bug-free ROM.

Who /op5/ here?

i'm gonna wait for Nokia 9

Everyone. 4 hours left.
nice meme

The new Nokia phones seem really good though especially when they aren't bloated like most of the new phones on the market.

I was hyped at first, but then I saw the price tag. And the bezels.

I'm making the leap to manhood and finally leaving my parents plan. What do I need to switch carriers and keep my number? Since it's my mom account, do I have to drag her to the Sprint store?

Does Android not allow you to install apps on SD storage? Wtf?

It does.

Some apps forbid that. But there's a switch(on custom ROMs at least).

>physically leaving home to change cell plan
cant you just mark a checkbox online to keep your number when signing up for a new plan?

Depends on the manufacturer and Android version whether that feature is available

What open sores solution do I use to track my device if Jamal steals it?

alright thanks

>phone has 98% charge
>unplug it and go to sleep
>wake up 6 hours later
>phone is dead

Nice phone samsung

Works on my machine.
>battery 80%
>wake up
>battery 79% or 80%
Don't blame Samsung if you're dumb enough to leave LTE over night.

It was on wifi. Either way that's no reason for a phone to die while doing fucking nothing overnight

Same on my 3 years old LG G2 without gapps, I don't even need to disable data.

rejsehishe pls

I want to get a new phone in about a week. I would prefer a Motorola phone (I love the brand). Which should I get: Moto G5 Plus, Moto Z Play, or should I just get the Moto Z? Or maybe I should not get a Moto phone at all?

>Motorola
*Lenovo

>open sores