Is Windows 8.1 better than 10?

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867(v=ws.11).aspx
datahoarder.eieidoh.net/msdn/Windows 8.1 with Update/
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kmspico-official-thread.65739/
my.mixtape.moe/tecwfg.7z
archive.is/QFL8e
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#6c3f7e713a23
arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-14/u-s-agencies-said-to-swap-data-with-thousands-of-firms
edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement
youtube.com/watch?v=eoSg3fSB7PA
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, with Classic Shell.

Of course not, what kind of retarded thread is this?

agreed. it's what i dual boot with openSUSE.

No, Windows 8.1 is shit.

Windows 10 is less shit than 8.1.

Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell is the best windows right now.

Windows 8.1 is way better.
>More streamlined experience, no mandatory updates, less nagging and a cleaner UI.

The full-screen start menu is pretty good when get used to it, it's like having a tool rack where you neatly line up your tools instead of throwing it all in a drawer.

Some tweaks:
>Remove bloat apps from start menu, run one line at the time in a admin powershell:
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online
Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

>Make window border padding smaller, pic related:
Open up regedit.
Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Set BorderWidth and PaddedBorderWidth value to 0

>Remove features
I recommend to disable the features that you don't use, personally i remove every feature except media/dotnet (pic related).
Remember to download another browser before you remove the internet explorer feature.
After you have removed features and rebooted, you can run this command in an admin powershell to remove payload of unused features. (Future added features will download data from windows update if you remove the payload).
Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online | where { $_.State -match "Disabled" } | ` foreach { ` $_ = $_.FeatureName; ` DISM /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:$_ /Remove ` }

>Dual booting?
If you are dualbooting you can run this in an admin cmd shell to disable fast boot and hibernation:
powercfg /h off

yes.

pretty much sums it up. Good post user.

Thanks, m8. God tier post.

So, where can I get an official ISO?

Why would i use 8.1 over 7? Not a gaymer.

>faster
>better resources management
>it looks cute

Download the official tool from here:
microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

If you don't have a legit Windows 8.1 key, you can use one of these during the install:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867(v=ws.11).aspx

If you are comfy with Windows 7 and it suits your needs, then there is no reason to upgrade. (Until 2020 that is.)
Windows 8 did however introduce Secure Boot and Fast Boot, where the first makes your system more secure when booting up the system, and the second one makes booting from a HDD significantly faster by using a hibernation-ish file during startup.

Agreed. Win 8.1 is a Godsend

Doing gods work user
Nice post

looks nice. too bad Windows' low res icons ruin it.

Feels more like i fucked up with screensiht desu.

>screensiht desu.
Dont remember writing this

>not running vista and only vista
it's like you hate ergonomics and a stable comfy feature rich GUI

>Make window border padding smaller,
>Open up regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
Fixed that for you.

how do I remove the border completely?

win8 is far better then win10!

just 1 question. how to disable the menubar on the right side?
(search, share, start, devices, settings)

On desktop?
Right-click on taskbar, click on properties, navigate to "Navigation", disable the options.

Botnet aside, there is nothing that makes Win8 better than Win10

If comfy full screen start menu with tiles is what you like Win10 has that too and you can align tiles with much more freedom and sizes than Win8 allowed

It also finally has folder tiles which can contain other tiles

thx for the replay. yes i the bar on the regular desktop. see picture, red circle.

how to disable that crap?

anyway, what is it good for / how to use it well?

you can disable it with classic shell

Not him but that's the Charms Bar, to disable it you have to uncheck "When I point to the top-right corner, show the charms" as that user showed you.

You can also disable it by going into Change PC Settings > PC & Devices > Corners & Edges and turning the "When I point.." options off.

Otherwise, you can also use Classic Shell as () said.

Why would you use anything but XP?

>tfw upgraded from 8.1 to 10 when it was still free

i sometimes regret that

Not really. 8 feels even more incomplete than the first release of Windows 10. The control panel and settings segregation is really just horrible if you have to do anything more than just the basics and then you have the one size fits all design philosophy instead of an adaptive design like they're pushing with 10 to fit touchscreens/traditional desktops. They had some cool ideas though, like minimizing the traditional point and click control scheme, it's a shame they had to abandon some of the nicer changes to win back the hate bandwagonists.

How did you do that?

>Winblows 8.1
>Winblows 10
nigger-tier pajeet OS.

thx im trying your tips right now

that was the best windows ever so far. had it running for over a decade on 1 pc. never let me down! it had like 180mb up and running, unlike newer os with over a gig.

>stalker
pls be my gf

install windows many months ago
>graphic card breaks because of some weird glitch in system analysis
install windows 10 a week ago
>ddr4 ram no longer functional

Installing windows has been a expensive pet project for me. What are the chances something breaks if I try 8.1?

Is there any open-source equivalents to KMSpico or Microsoft Toolkit for activation?

All I see in malware-infested shitware.

is it posible to add the windows 8.1 search everywhere in the newer builds of win 10?, the ink disappeared, and it seems microsoft removed those things (reference {C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA} )

daz loader?

Same question

Yes, its the pro version of windows 10.
>Same compatibility
>Manual non-forced updates
>No cortana
>Visually similar
>No adds

Windows 8.1 is way faster than Windows 10. Also it has more FPS in games older than 2016.

>not using Thin PC instead with an EOL of 2021, 1 year longer than Windows 7
ishiggydiggydo~

datahoarder.eieidoh.net/msdn/Windows 8.1 with Update/

I've heard that most versions distributed of Daz is infested with malware.

I can't seem to find source code for it either, unfortunately.

not sure... but the official kmspico is here:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kmspico-official-thread.65739/

You'll need an account to access it.

If it requires .NET 4.0 then assuming it's made in C#/VB I can decompile it and if necessary, de-obfuscate with de4dot.

I'll take a look.

Do it

Alright.

It was obfuscated to an extent, but compared to other obfuscated binaries I've come across, not that badly.

Might be worth making a git repository, but depends if anyone else wants to help getting this to compile (unless it does already) and testing it in a virtual machine with save states.

my.mixtape.moe/tecwfg.7z

under the hood only. it's very nimble and fast (much faster than vista and 7).

hideous interface though

Objectively no. I can't believe anyone would even use 8. Either stick with 7 until whenever you see fit, or go 10. If you can 'cope' with 8, you can do so with 10.

Windows 8.1 was the best release of Windows. Classic Shell is a meme and totally unneeded.
Anyone who browses with a keyboard is able to find anything with super+s because the search was great.
I wish Microsoft had the balls to stick with Metro and not go back like a little bitch.

No only 8.1 embedded industro pro blah blah is better than 10 regular 8.1 is still shit and will rape you with updates just like windows 10 and updated versions of 7.

If you don't want the update cancer 8.1 embedded is your only hope also reactOS

>Is a small poop better than a big poop?
lol kill yourself

>all this 8 love
Yikes, that theory was definitely true. People love being hipsters I guess.

>implying that I never loved 8 since release

It had the best interface for both computers and tablets. I honestly hate all the normies that ruined it because "muh start button".

>Also it has more FPS in games older than 2016.
Not for me

>>implying that I never loved 8 since release
Honestly I'm HORRIFIED that I have to share society with a sociopath like you.

you can choose to install only the security updates, so what's the problem?

Windows 8.1 was objectively superior to 7.

>proper USB 3.0 support
>natively mounting iso files
>better search function
>an interface that served both tablets and desktop in a great way

All these global spy agencies and they haven't LOCKED YOU UP yet. I'm disgusted.

i really liked 8.1 and i still do, but no it's not better

>2013
>bought bf3
>my sistem is XP so i have to upgrade
>upgrade to windows 7
>frame rates is ok but bottleneck all over
>decide to try 8
>no start menu, shit metroui
>frame rates is higher and no bottleneck
>sometime later microsoft releases windows 8.1
>decide to upgrade
>2017

I'm Ok with Windows 8.1

I mean probably, but it still dosnt respect the users freedoms, for a piece of software to respect a users freedom it must obey the following freedoms

>freedom 0: The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose
>freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish
>freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
>freedom 3: The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others

If a program is missing one of these softwares it is in fact non-free and proprietary and is doing you a great dis-service, and if you in anyway communicate with someone else in such a way that forces them to use it, you are harming society

Estelle a cute.

>being this assblasted
8.1 is literally the best OS ever

Reported to NSA.
They'll love you son.

Did you get that wallpaper from that user that said he "drew it" for us in that Sup Forums home screen thread a few weeks back?

>software crack
>plz buy legit guys
everytime

IMO, both 8 (8.1) and ten are shit. Stick with 7. Win 7 x64 can take up to 192GB of ram so your fine for a long time to come, seeing as how the average ram user here is like 8-16GB so really your limiting factor is board support. SATA interface ain't going away anytime soon and 7 supports gpt so your set for storage needs for a long ass time. That leaves cpu, which I think for both intel and amd top out at 8 core single cpus being supported. You could in theory grab a server board and if it supported it, stuff two 8 core cpu in it for total of 16 core but really i don't thank you'd need 16 core for much anything other than bragging or if your so anal about getting the fastest vid encoding times possible rather than just waiting an hr for it to get done.

This is it, memes where a mistake.

Agreed, I have put 8.1 on several modern but weak celeron an pentium notebooks that came with 10. Even after a clean reintstall 10 was quite sluggish. 8.1 flies in comparison, as fast as 7 but with more out of the box hardware support

The situation with those cheap notebooks reminds me of the early Vista days

Give me some non-meme reasons of why 8.1 is shit.

Ugly. Dysfunctional. Old. Probably going to lose mainstream support before 7.

Just upgrade to 10 already. 10 is what 8 should've been.

Yes

>Ugly
Metro is comfy as fuck

>Old.
It's as modern as 10

>Probably going to lose mainstream support before 7
Nice headcanon

>10 is what 8 should've been
What a fucking shill

if i hadn't bought forza horizon 3 and like playing halo, i'd never touch the garbage that is w10

8.1 master race, metro was ahead of its time

But you can play those games in 8

i searched up and down
i couldn't find a way to play them
please show me user
i will uninstall this piece of shit so quick

>no mandatory updates
Available on every Windows 10 edition except Home.

>cleaner UI
The settings migration has barely started in 8.1 and a lot of things are inconsistent.

>The full-screen start menu is pretty good when get used to it, it's like having a tool rack where you neatly line up your tools instead of throwing it all in a drawer.
>rationalizing
Either way it's available in Windows 10 as well.

>Make window border padding smaller
No padding on Windows 10 out of the box.

>Remove features
>Dual booting
Works exactly the same on Windows 10

This.
Agreed.
^This guy gets it.

It's less resource-intensive, but you still have the ability to use Metro apps if you want to. You can still install the latest shit on it, you can disable updates, you don't have Cortana, it isn't leeching your bandwidth to P2P updates to other people, etc.

I'm no Windows fanboy. I multiboot Linux Mint, macOS Sierra and Windows 8.1 Pro.

If you're going to use Windows, 8.1 is the version to use.

>Available on every Windows 10 edition except Home.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Retarded normies need to be forced to install updates to prevent shit like wannacry from happening.

>Available on every Windows 10 edition except Home.
Updates are mandatory in every W10 version

You're so silly, user. It's almost cute.

Telemetry is mandatory too unfortunately.

Having said that, straight up disabling updates is retarded.
You can ignore them indefinitely until you find a good moment to restart when and if they require a restart.

The last cumulative update includes changes to the kernel so it does require a restart but since I disabled automatic restarts it's waiting for me to do it manually.
The message is slightly misleading.

That screenshot was taken from the same page that describes how to take care of that too.

I have an interesting screenshot too.

no they're not;

And i'm not even reffering to the administrative group policies settings, you can essentially "brick" your windows 10 (it's true that it's 90% more harder after you install creator's update) to not give them any data.

You won't have any updates beyond that point though, and depending on the use of the OS it's an important aspect or not, but apparently it's a price most people using those tools would ignorantly pay.

I'll just repost the image from the other thread.
He misconfigured the main telemetry option. All his tests are void.

Either way, there's no escape.
archive.is/QFL8e
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#6c3f7e713a23
arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-14/u-s-agencies-said-to-swap-data-with-thousands-of-firms
edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

>archive.is/QFL8e
>I have chosen the customized installation option where I disabled three pages of tracking options.
>nothing else mentioned
That means that the telemetry was set to Basic. Test is void.

>forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#6c3f7e713a23
Non-enterprise users can't disable telemetry, that's absolutely correct.

>arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
They didn't list the options they used so I can't really comment.

>bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-14/u-s-agencies-said-to-swap-data-with-thousands-of-firms
>edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
Unrelated to disabling telemetry.

Just reinstalled Windows 8.1 and it is comfy once you customize it. Bought Start8 and it's like a different version of Windows 7.

That said the only versions of Windows 10 worth using are the Enterprise LTSB versions. No Cortana, Edge, Store, and standard Win10 bloat. You can customize updates like 7 and 8.1 through Group Policy so no more forced automatic download and installs. Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB is what should have been the stock version of 10.

Care to provide any proof at all or just assertions?
How about a Wireshark analysis with your proposed methods of stopping telemetry? Not to mention that they're not even hiding it and that Microsoft has been a participant of NSA's PRISM project since 2007.
privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

i prefer 8.0
the change was hugely unexpected, but by today's standards, it is a better product

metro Internet Explorer is amazing, and Nutella canned it for whatever stupid reason

youtube.com/watch?v=eoSg3fSB7PA
This is it. We are done here.

If I posted a screenshot of a blank wireshark window you'd just call bullshit.
That's the issue with guilty until proven innocent.

I actually did my own tests and found out that there was an error in the technet article which listed the wrong policy for disabling time syncing (it has since been fixed) and that there's a scheduled task that downloads onedrive updates even if its policy is disabled unless you uninstall it via add/remove programs.
That's it.

Again, we are done here.

>using some random skid applications that claim to disable telemetry
>using edge which has its own set of policies and options which are not mentioned in said applications
The symantec thing is obviously a certificate update/check.

>using some random skid applications that claim to disable telemetry
Aren't they all like that really?

They are, which is why you should use docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services