/spg/ - Smartphone General - Yet Another OP5 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
OnePlus 5 goes official with Snapdragon 835 and dual camera
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_unveiled_premium_dual_camera_photography_better_hardware_all_round-news-25709.php

OnePlus 5 review
gsmarena.com/oneplus_5-review-1623.php

Oneplus 5 review: the me-too phone
theverge.com/2017/6/20/15820802/oneplus-5-review-one-plus-phone

OnePlus 5 review: Making the leap from good to great
engadget.com/2017/06/20/oneplus-5-review/

OnePlus 5 Review! MKBHD
youtube.com/watch?v=2w5B1Ne-fy4

OnePlus 5 review | The Verge
youtube.com/watch?v=995M3VOGhYs

OnePlus 5 – Running out of Ideas?
youtube.com/watch?v=hNSsEEz2Mes

OnePlus 5 Review: The iPhone for Android Fans
youtube.com/watch?v=VEz7u8S3kFw

OnePlus 5 | Review | Engadget
youtube.com/watch?v=2U28Ggaax4o

---------------------------------------------------------
Snapdragon 450 in the works, apparently related to the S625
gsmarena.com/snapdragon_450_in_the_works_apparently_related_to_the_s625-news-25714.php

YotaPhone 3 will start at $350, company confirms
gsmarena.com/yotaphone_3_will_start_at_350_company_confirms-news-25671.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

banggood.com/Lenovo-P2-5_5-inch-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1161448.html
youtu.be/Gvr_XjRfdw0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP5 vs. LG V20 vs. LG G6

Please, which one should I get? All about the same price in Canada from what I can find.

Lg = bootloop. v20 csnt be rooted in Canada. OP5 can be rooted, more ram, better camera, better support from the vendor....

no brainer for me.

What model of the G6 should I be looking for (eastern us, cdma/gsm is irrelevant). I've been seeing a lot of cheap h870ds models around but they're for Russia/Hong kong. I should mention I'm looking for sub-$500 models

>better camera
Is that really true?
and it's got a shittier screen

I want a 3T, but they are sold out on the Oneplus website.

Is it safe to buy one from Amazon?

guys in the T-Mobile version of the US models should be easily rootable check XDA Developers

Budget is 670 euros
Current phone is original Moto G 16 gb.
Here are my options

Samsung S8 64 GB (670€)
iPhone 7 32 GB (670€)
LG G6 32 GB (600€)
OP 5 64 GB (499€)

The things i value most in my phone

>no lag pls
>software lasts for a long time
>feels comfy in the hand
>battery lasts for a day
>durable

What do you guys think?
I'm kind of leaning towards the iMeme because I want a hassle free experience and I'll be using this phone for like 3-4 years ideally. I'm willing to wait until Apple releases their next phones so the 7 gets cheaper (or they release 7S for the same price)

>tfw OP5 not compatible with Verizon
>tfw no feel

LG G6 has water resistance, expandable storage, higher resolution display.

OP5 has stock Android, better battery life, AMOLED display, better performance.

LG V20 is only worth it if you want the Hifi DAC or a removable battery.

LG G6. Best bang for your buck, but I'd rather wait for the LG G6+

That or the OP3T once price drops.

yes but you should confirm the exact model you're buying

OP5

I'm reading a lot of negative comments about picture quality in the OP5 reviews. Is there any way that these issues could be fixed through software updates, or is the hardware just shit?

LG G6 or OP3T once the price drops for both.

What about LG G6 memeloops and lag?

670 eur for 28 where? here it costs 8000 SEK which equals 818 euro

for s8*

I plan on buying unlocked

I'm from Croatia. The cheapest price for it I've found is 4999 HRK (670 euros) from this small store in this small city (suspicious i know). I've googled some people who've ordered and everything was in order tho so idk.

Big stores and carriers are selling it for 808 eur (6000 hrk)

iPhone 7 will get official updates for the longest time. Android phones get updates for around 2 years whereas the iPhone will get 4-5 years (both the iPhone 4S and 5 got updates for 5 years)

Price has already dropped, there's one on amazon for $485
Haven't heard those complaints from the G6/V20, then again I haven't really cared about LG until recently.

It can mostly be fixed via software. The question mostly is if Oneplus will, and I think the answer will be yes.
That being said, the "negative comments" have a bit of an inherent bias. The camera is definitely not what Oneplus was trying to hype it up to be, but it's not bad by any measure. I'd consider it on par with the iPhone 7.

The one thing software can't really fix is the lack of OIS, which is the biggest flaw in the camera system imo.

Hardware wise they put a lot of effort in making good sensors, but they cheaped out on the OIS, and probably they don't have the best software, but it can improve.

I love the presence of a 20MP telephoto camera, but the lack of OIS is just a deal breaker on a $500 phone.

Stabilization can probably be fixed since they didn't use optical stabilization, same goes for the portrait mode. Those were the biggest complaints I heard.

>tfw you fell for the OP3T meme and it's deprecated support-wise after 6 months
DON'T fall for the OnePlus meme.

I don't know wheather to ask this here or /csg/ but here goes.

I upgraded from my xperia Z ultra to a xiomeme note 3 pro prime with the snapdragon and 32gb/3gig RAM.

Is there a guide or something to root and install a custom rom? Are custom roms stable for this phone or is it hacked together pajeet shit?

I'm sorry for the spoonfeed, It's literally been 3 years since I did any of the rooting/custom recovery stuff and I don't remember any of it.

Doesn't help that my sony had a nifty little tool that basically did everything for you

Better yet, as a rule of thumb, don't fall for chink shit.

>bought a redmeme 3 when the redmeme 4 made it obsolete
MISTAKE

>but the software can improve
we're talking about chinks man, the same chinks that have terrible support and won't keep all their phones updated for more than a year

This isn't a recent purchase.
Bought it during black friday from ali for 150$

Just having the time to switch phones now

The fact it can doesn't mean it will.

You had a new phone sitting in a box for over half a year?

Did the 3T have OIS?
Not having it will be a deal-breaker for me, too. I'm tired of taking 10 different pictures to get a clear one when I'm using my OP1.

Yeah
There's nothing wrong with my Z ultra, just a bit too big for me these days.

I have grad school full time and also work so I didn't have time at all to look into rooting, transferring my shit over etc.

On break now though so I have the time.
Rooting is pretty important to me cause I can't deal with all the fucking ads on android apps and in the browser.

literally what I said

>oneplus5
looks lovely

Think the op5 will finally be able to do LTE on AT&T?

why don't they make a smartphone with a screen like this? The battery life would be tremendous.

What do you mean? Every OP since the Oneplus One has done LTE on AT&T

>OP5 isn't borderless
Well, my OP1 is still running like it's brand new anyway.

I would get the iPhone. The 7 is the fastest and most lag free phone on the market right now.

It will also be supported for the next 4 to 5 years. Hell, the iPhone 5 is only just losing support when iOS 11 comes out.

The only issue might be battery life. It's still very good, but it has no fast charging, and charges pretty slow even compared to non-fast charging Androids.
I'm a moderate to heavy user, and I'll usually have to throw it on the charger for maybe a half hour at some point to get me through the day. I just charge it on my way too and from work though so it's not a big deal.

The phone isn't the most durable but there are so many cases available you should be able to find one you like.

The price should drop after they release their new phone in September right?

No. The G6 has both a better camera and a better screen

ah, I thought they were stuck at 3g like other chinese phones for some reason. I've been wanting a new phone for months and decided to wait for the OP5 reveal to see if I'd want it. Honestly I don't get the shitposting, the base price for it is the same as what the 128 3t was selling for. And used 128 3ts are still around there. Think I'm gonna pick it up since my galaxy S5's battery has decided to suddenly die or drain 50% battery in 30 minutes of standby this past week

Yes, but the drop is only going to be $100 USD while the price of the 7s will be the same as what the 7 is right now. If you're going to wait I would just get the 7s honestly. You seem to care about future proofing and the 7s is going to have an extra year of support, full waterproofing, and wireless charging.

Does it? OP5 has high resolution cameras, especially on the telephoto objective

but user, everything except iphone is chink shit

>tfw I got an OP3T last winter

I'm glad the OP5 is a pointless release.

It's just a fucking camera upgrade, which is pointless since I don't use social media. At least they made the vibration motor better, but that's not important to me.

Same user here. I recently switched from Moto G series phones to a 7+ so if you have any questions just ask.

My mother if making me to get a cell phone. Whats the most freedom respecting cell phone?

Any help?

I've been reading through xda but it's all nonsense to me

Basically
1. Unlock bootloader (either officially by requesting a permission code from Xiaomi, or unofficially if you'd rather not wait to be approved)
2. Flash TWRP in fastboot
3. Flash custom ROM / root in TWRP

Why it's so hard to get redmeme 4 64gb global or lenovo p2? They are basically only phones I want atm. and it's so hard to get either of them.

When I make the mi account do I need to use my real name?
Any drawbacks to doing it unofficially?

You can get the 4/64 Lenovo P2 for 192€ with the coupon 6BGESLEP363 from Banggood. It's a pre-order but they start shipping on the 26th, for such a low price I'd say it's worth waiting for.

banggood.com/Lenovo-P2-5_5-inch-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1161448.html

alright so were are uk people getting a one plus from what networks do we get ?

Sorry, don't know. I'd guess whether you use your real name or not doesn't really matter. I'd try unlocking officially before thinking about doing it unofficially.

Thanks mate!

Why it doesn't list b20 though? Is there different models or would that be mistake?

My samsung galaxy s5 is on its last legs. I want to spend about $500 for a phone with a better camera, preferably fast. I do want something that will last a long time though, I don't like to upgrade very much. OnePlus 5 looks interesting, but has support in the past for previous models been good?

Apparently there's two different versions, the global version with B20 that's available with 3/4gb RAM and 32gb storage, and the Chinese version with 4gb RAM and 64gb storage, but not B20.

Oh fuck and that is apparently chinese model. Though I might do well without b20.

>midnight black already sold out

fug

S8 is way better than OP5 and cheaper

>tfw had my phone for almost a year and haven't taken off the factory screen protector
Anyone else or am I autistic?

Yeah but
>samsung
>touchwiz or whatever it's called now
>Bigsby
>Dedicated non-rebindable bigsby button
>made to shatter
>single rear camera

the factory installed screen protectors are usually absolutely terrible because they're not meant to left on. If you're worried about scratches then get a quality tempered glass screen protector.

Where?
OP5 is $500-$550, isn't the S8 $625?

>way better
lol wut

I've never owned an iPhone. I've been using Android since forever.

My primary number is a Google Voice number.

I use Hangouts and the Hangouts dialer.

I have a Gmail account, work Exchange account, and keep all my contacts in Google Contacts.

From what I've said above, how well could I transition into iOS?

Is it worth it? Most current Android phones seem to be so disappointing. And the whole thing about companies dropping support after 1 or 2 years is ridiculous. I bought a PRIV two years ago and will likely never get to N.

Have any of you been in deep with Google and successfully transitioned to iOS? What do you miss the most ? What did you like in iOS?

Anybody know of a way to get adblock and background play for YouTube on 7.0 rooted?

Are there any reviews of the 6gb OP5 yet? Or comparing the 6gb to the 8gb to see if it's actually a big difference?

please reply

Newpipe

"Future proofing" meme. It makes no differenceb unless.

Just use NewPipe or some modded youtube apk

So reasons not to get a memeberry keyOne:

>can't root it
>BBYHub is laggy and powerhungry as fuck
>Some nigshit about enter key being newline instead of submit for most apps
>slow
>keyboard not comfy with one hand
>Blackberry Android updates questionable

Shame. I don't game on my phone and use it mostly to phonepost or watch the occasional Youtube video but I really wanted the physical keyboard/touchpad. Might have gotten away with adblocking through DNS that didn't require rooting the device.

Is there any US store that at least has the device for display? I would like to touch the damn thing before it fades off into irrelevancy again

Cheaper in literally one country and only for like a month

Why not buy it from a store that allows returns?

Most carriers (that are carrying the phone) should have it displayed in actual stores and not those pop-up shops which typically only have iphones, galaxies, and pixels. In addition major tech stores that have a mobile section should also have it on display.

>try ordering OP5
>Chase blocks the payment as Chinese fraud
Fucking chinks

damn I'm in the same boat. They all have things that I want, but none of them everything that I want. I'm waiting for the Axon 8 to come out (which hopefully should be soon).

OP5 if availability isn't a problem.
G6 otherwise.

>csnt be rooted in Canada
have you considered getting on unlocked leaf?

iPhone of course

Well, that's fucking dreadful

Gonna stand in line in Amsterdam tomorrow to get the OP5. Have a OPO now, should be good.
Pretty perfect for my needs - I'll be visiting China, so I need dualsim, and the OP5 even has the proper Chinese bands. Only phone that does that, as far as I know.
Any advice for shit to do while in line?

Unironically iPhone. However, if 'freedom' to you also constitutes open source... good fucking luck bruv.

They're discontinued so yeah get it on Amazon and get it fast

I'm in the same boat as you. You should check German ebay, they are selling LG G6 for about 430 euos and are sending it internationally over Europe.

It doesn't tick too much of y.ur requirements tho.

I was watching some comparatives, and the cameras of the OP5 are probably the best on the market.

Still, it's a mediocre phone.

anyone know the best place to get a 3t? (for UK)

So it's working as intended. You should be grateful.

I'm in the market for a new Phone, Is the G5 Plus worth it?

I'm having this problem with my Redmeme 4 Prime. What should I do?

youtu.be/Gvr_XjRfdw0

um, how old are you son?

wallpaper source please?

tfw 720 LeafBux for 8/128 OP5
no more really the "flagship killer"
that's basically flagship price
I mean, it's an OK phone but it's embarrassing how blatantly they are trying to copy/be Apple.
I feel like if I'm going to pay more than $500 for a phone I might as well go full flagship retard and get a Pixel XL or whatever succeeds it

So my Nexus 6P got approved for a full refund because of the shittastic battery issues. Currently looking at a Galaxy S8+ as I enjoyed having a big phone and I hear that it's fast and has good battery life.
Any opinions, positive or negative? Thanks fegs

You and me both. Happy as hell with my op3t and no reason at all to upgrade

Show me another flagship for $720.

Samsung S8 is $1000. Pixel XL is $1000+. Please go ahead and show me a comparable phone for $720.