/retro/

"Guess who got a dot matrix printer for his XT" edition.

Post sum retro shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=SO4998&userlocale=EN_US&segment=SUPPORT
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guess I'll just keep posting my old shit, even though OPs can't bump anymore.

Wanted to buy this 133MHz beast but the seller was (of course) another one of those fuckups that are insane AND ignorant.
Not paying ~$500 for this.

1975 vintage

still working

That is a very comfy case.

That case looks dope, but the CD drive isn't even period correct. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it. Maybe $30 because of the case.
Now hook it up to something instead of just using the local echo.

What the media never tells you is that you have to load the paper perfectly straight so that your typings can come out in non retarded straight lines.

I miss case design like this, functional vs all the flashy leds/windows and shit that seem to be all the rage now. Thank god my cases are all of the functional type. I don't see the point of all the "flash" A case is meant to hold your parts, nothing more or less. it don't need "flash" for that. No one's gonna gawk at it or go "oh look at the pretty innards" when the really good stuff is displayed on the monitor/screen.

Funny you mention that. We used to call ourselves the "crooked lines" back when I filmed that. Came out of some book about insane people in a psychiatric ward, which we both were at the time. Edgy teenager stuff.
Also, the paper is perfectly straight.

>windows 8 came out in 2012, five years ago
Demotivator indeed.

I remember this kind of Dell being AGGRESSIVELY advertised several times per issue of my favorite PC magazines

Can i have that background

I know someone would ask, therefore ->

sonique - right in the feels... fucking commited suicide they did

>DAT
my man !

Bought a DAT in highschool in '99.

Dubbed MP3 i downloaded to it from napster played with sonique and went mountainbiking with it...

skipless 3hour + internet downloaded music ? i had it pre 2000 :)

>sonique

Not quite, even more niche. It was a not that widely known player called "K-Jöfol" but I guess they were highly inspired by Sonique. I wonder if K-Jöfol was even known outside of Germany.

I always wanted one of these but they were quite expensive to import and now they're pretty much completely in the hands of collectors or merchants

kek that image is really old

yeah that's a pretty nice looking system but not $500 nice, more like $50 if it's all together, well taken care of and a really nice configuration, maybe $100 if you're desperate as fuck and just want one system to use for a long time
that actually probably is the right drive, that particular style of mitsumi matches the period perfectly but the bezel is a little off color
they've definitely got a neat look to them, maybe you'll find one some day

that room looks like you're friends with LGR

>tfw there was actually a time when motherboards weren't dark and rather looked like carrot salad

teal is the real deal

half of me wants to be disgusted but honestly that isn't so bad

well at least teal was a color that was fucking everywhere when that machine was around.
also, certainly looks better than the disgusting yellowing those poor things have to endure over the years.

getting the gray back to it's original state is a pain in the ass, even with retrobright and it will get yellow again.

rippinpiss

the contrast between the metallic teal and the white keys don't do it for me desu but yeah with what you said in mind it's totally alright

plus I've always had a soft spot for systems like that used in music production that are personalized by their owner, it's just kind of cool and I've thought of doing that to my own stuff

really need to get my 1040 up and running, I've been holding off buying disks for it for so long and I feel kind of guilty since it was a gift that I never made a lot of use of

>tfw this shitposting was already over a decade ago

>how far we have come....

>modding console cases
bet this got a ton of upvotes

This girl is beautiful.

fake and gay

stop posting this

>still far higher resolution/dpi than most modern PC displays
>we still live in the age of bezel

STs may have been weak af but they sure as fuck weren't consoles
>implying painting is truly "modding"

fuck yeah birdcage

found a Selectric Wheelwriter the other day with buckling spring keyboard.
there's a connector hidden behind a plastic cover on the back, looks like a serial data port. no info anywhere on the web.
so I ordered a logic analyzer, now waiting for that to arrive so I can figure out what it is. would make a really cool teletype machine.

Pic Related, it's my Selectric III

Jelly

good ole VLB

It's a Parallel port for using the Wheelwriter as a printer.

Meant to say jelly and then explain my selectric

>i am selectric jelly

hey thanks! that's what I guessed it would be.
It doesn't look like parallel data though. it's only 10-pins and 4 of those are ground/vcc.
also with the scope I found one pin that transmits some data on every keystroke, I'm hoping thats plain ascii but I'd need the analyzer to confirm.

wait show me a picture, I might be thinking of something else

best pic I have right now. I removed the cover and plugged in those colored wires to connect the scope.

support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=SO4998&userlocale=EN_US&segment=SUPPORT

Same guy as paralell. Here's Lexmark's manuals for the wheelwriter. Hope it helps

Ah. Probably a factory connector used to test the machine before sending out. Good luck re purposing it!

thanks again, however I found those already. it's the 6747-2 model, and the manual doesn't mention any connector.

it's accessible with the cover in place though. there's a smaller plastic cover which pops out to reveal it.

also forgot to mention there's an issue: the hammer doesn't strike. I'm seeing a signal on the scope but I'm not sure if that's right (continuous 2V square wave, with brief ~40V spikes on every keystroke).
maybe that's a common problem? hoping someone here knows.

Lubricate the mechanical portions of the system. IBM typewriters rarely break in a way that can't be repaired with proper lubrication.

>af
>doesn't know what what case mods are
get the fuck out reddit

heh

>1970s
I only count a few things from the 70's

that's a big terminal

even if real this would be incredibly stupid because that aspect ratio is fucked

Well you're right about that, but the overall aesthetic i'm going for is the 1970s.

Plus I'm continuously adding to it, gonna get a swag lamp soon.

For u

1998, faggot

1997, retard

1989, idiot

Just got my new "XT" online.
The case of the machine is weird though, it's model says XT and badge is XT, but it has a lid and the front is like an ATs.
The original owner replaced the motherboard with a kit Japanese XT clone board, 10 MHz with turbo.

3500 BC plebs

checkmate

>console
you fucking homo - do you know what an Amiga is kiddo?

>Atari
>do you know what an Amiga is kiddo?
you obviously don't

>it's expensive because it sucks

I had that

It's only expensive for internet points, I never pay those prices you see on eBay, I just pick shit up if it's cheap to mess around with.

>but the overall aesthetic i'm going for is the 1970s.
Then why the fuck are you filling the room with 80's and 90's?

there was literally nothing good about VLB

Blue board you faggot

bump

this

Red Hat is actually the Mozilla dinosaur?

red pill me on impact printing

w-what do the knobs do?